Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote:Respectfully disagree about the writers. When three contestants clear the boards, it is a well played game, or possibly it is a really easy board. If the contestants leave lots of unanswered clues that I also miss, that's what I call difficult boards.
In the first round of tournaments, they always allow the contestants to clear the boards to keep all of the matches fair, so that's not a proper indicator of how tough the boards were.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote:In the first round of tournaments, they always allow the contestants to clear the boards to keep all of the matches fair, so that's not a proper indicator of how tough the boards were.
If true, mind blown. Is that an official rule you heard about somewhere? Wouldn't it indicate that their regular matches are inherently unfair? (8 clues, still shaking my head...)
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

alietr wrote:
John Boy wrote:Respectfully disagree about the writers. When three contestants clear the boards, it is a well played game, or possibly it is a really easy board. If the contestants leave lots of unanswered clues that I also miss, that's what I call difficult boards.
In the first round of tournaments, they always allow the contestants to clear the boards to keep all of the matches fair, so that's not a proper indicator of how tough the boards were.
Well I learned something new today.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
BobF

Post by BobF »

alietr wrote:
Could they do this because of the wildcards? Is it so that when you compare a week's worth of games to get the 4 top non-winners they want to even the playing field?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote:Could they do this because of the wildcards? Is it so that when you compare a week's worth of games to get the 4 top non-winners they want to even the playing field?
Yes, that's exactly why they do it.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Robert K S wrote:
alietr wrote:In the first round of tournaments, they always allow the contestants to clear the boards to keep all of the matches fair, so that's not a proper indicator of how tough the boards were.
If true, mind blown. Is that an official rule you heard about somewhere? Wouldn't it indicate that their regular matches are inherently unfair? (8 clues, still shaking my head...)
I believe the fairness being referred to is in regards to the wild cards all having the opportunity at the same number (and $ value) of clues.
Sheepin' it real.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

In theory they should play the same boards too, or at the very least play the same FJ, but this is also a TV show.
Golf

Post by Golf »

People here watch every single episode of Jeopardy for decades and haven't realized that QF boards are always completed? And then don't know why?

If true, mind blown. :shock: :D

If the show wasn't televised, the five QF games probably would use the exact same boards as discussed. Bill Murray would probably be sitting front row.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Terry was really good, but there were a lot of triple stumpers. I got 26 clues correct including stole, accordion, flute, piano, Suwannee (DD), Doris Duke (DD -- I mean as a Daily Double), and FJ.
dhkendall wrote: [...] they should show all 61 clues every time if they managed to get through that many Stand-and-Stares.
Agreed! I think they could shorten some of the clues, edit the contestant interviews, and edit out a couple of seconds from each stand-and-stare, to allow enough time for every clue to be revealed in every game. Allow all clues to be revealed, then edit the show to shorten it to the required running length.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote:PTB: since I know that I will never be picked to be a contestant, I will quit my job and drop out of grad school to move to LA and become a writer for the show. I even have work samples that I could give you, and I'll work for just a "living wage for Los Angeles". Make my dream come true!
Come on, Steven. You know they don't pay writers such a ridiculously high salary.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

opusthepenguin wrote:
StevenH wrote:PTB: since I know that I will never be picked to be a contestant, I will quit my job and drop out of grad school to move to LA and become a writer for the show. I even have work samples that I could give you, and I'll work for just a "living wage for Los Angeles". Make my dream come true!
Come on, Steven. You know they don't pay writers such a ridiculously high salary.
Well that was easily the worst board for me since I've been watching regularly for a year or so. I don't think even the BotD boards were this bad for me.

I could have counted my correct answers with my fingers ....... with one hand ...... even if I was suffering from tridactyly. :lol:

And I instaguessed Madagascar and Mauritius for some reason. 0/4. Almost halfway there.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

lieph82 wrote:In theory they should play the same boards too, or at the very least play the same FJ, but this is also a TV show.
I think they should also run the games in thousands of parallel universes and aggregate the data and give top prize to the true winner.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:If the show wasn't televised, the five QF games probably would use the exact same boards as discussed. Bill Murray would probably be sitting front row.
In a bathrobe. Eating popcorn. Drinking Johnny Walker Black Label straight from the bottle.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they played the same boards for the entire quarterfinals, TPH would still be clamming FJ on Friday.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Golf wrote:
Bill Murray would probably be sitting front row.
Hats off for that reference!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
billiej

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote:If they played the same boards for the entire quarterfinals, TPH would still be clamming FJ on Friday.
I have dual monitors at work and almost had to clean pretzel spray off both of them! :lol:
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Bamaman wrote:If they played the same boards for the entire quarterfinals, TPH would still be clamming FJ on Friday.
Plus claiming several NHOIs. :lol:
Sheepin' it real.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Poor TPH, I kinda want to give him a hug right now
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Golf wrote:
People here watch every single episode of Jeopardy for decades and haven't realized that QF boards are always completed? And then don't know why?
It makes sense, I'd just never given it any thought.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We need to do the video equivalent of photoshopping to put him into Groundhog Day in the Bill Murray role.