Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6942, 2014-11-18

2014 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Rebecca Rider, an office supply sales assistant from Queens, New York
Mark Japinga, a graduate student in public affairs from Madison, Wisconsin
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst, voiceover artist, and blogger from Broadview Heights, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Getting to play in the finals later this week is quite an accomplishment, but the money's important, also. Whoever wins today's game--and any of the semifinals--is guaranteed a $50,000 prize later in the week. Of course, $250,000 for our champion. Rebecca, Mark, and Arthur, you each have a shot at that. So, good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round and into these categories. Arthur, you get to pick first.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 2014 EMMYS (5/5)
NEXT IN LINE (2/5)
BRAINY ANAGRAMS (5/5)
A SCENTIMENTAL MOOD (3/5)
BATTLE CREEK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOR YOUR I's ONLY (3/5) (Alex: Because "I" is the only vowel that will come up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Mark: 8 R, 3 W
Rebecca: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Arthur had $2,600, Mark had $2,400, and Rebecca had nothing in the bank. Arthur wagered $1,000.

BATTLE CREEK $800: Site of a Nov. 7, 1811 battle, this Indiana river got additional notoriety in an 1840 campaign of a different sort

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $4,400
Mark: $1,400
Rebecca: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: After yesterday's program, the winner, Julia Collins, was interviewed, and she was in tears. Rebecca Rider, the same thing happened to you, I understand, after you won your fifth show on Jeopardy!

Rebecca: I was sitting in the airport and going over everything and realizing that that money meant I was gonna be able to get out from under my student loans. And I had been carrying those for I think it was seven or eight years at the time. And realizing that instead of just chipping off a few dollars at a time, I was gonna be able to get rid of them in one fell swoop, be done with them, get them off my back, and it was just such a relief, I just broke down.

Alex: Good for you. Great story.

Alex: Mark Japinga is from Wisconsin. Uh, you appeared on a program with Bill Cosby?

Mark: No.

[Laughter]

Mark: It was more--I'm fascinated--I wish. I wish. I'm fascinated by how I get famous in my small town, which is more fun than the big city. So, last year I was ranked fourth on the "Most Entertaining of 2014" list. Bill Cosby was number two. I'm hoping--since he was in town, I'm hoping I can beat somebody famous this year if I do well.

Alex: Yeah, but most entertaining. Do you do stand-up work?

Mark: No.

Alex: Or is it only because of your appearances on our show?

Mark: I think it was just, like, this was pretty exciting. I'm at least good at this. Maybe not stand-up.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. All right. Good for you.

Alex: Arthur Chu--at the beginning of our program, Johnny introduced you as a blogger. Tell me about your website. What is it? What do you write?

Arthur: I actually met an editor from The Daily Beast when I was doing all that crazy media stuff a while ago, and so I've been writing, like, nerdy articles, you know? So, I figure if I flame out here, I can fall back on writing about nerd trivia, you know?

Alex: But you have quite a following. How many people?

Arthur: There was one article that got like 300,000 shares. So, that went viral, yeah.

Alex: Hello. That's pretty good. I get one or two.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOR YOUR I's ONLY $800: A native of Espoo

NEXT IN LINE $600: A Top 20 recording of "How Sweet It Is":
Marvin Gaye, Jr. Walker & the All Stars...

NEXT IN LINE $1000: States in order of admission:
Utah, Oklahoma...
(Mark: What is Arizona?)

A SCENTIMENTAL MOOD $1000: Wrap yourself in this Estee Lauder fragrance whose name suggests a clean, crisp fabric
(Rebecca: What is Linen?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Rebecca: What is...)

FOR YOUR I's ONLY $1000: Element whose compound is in use here

A SCENTIMENTAL MOOD $200: Introduced in 2007, this Marc Jacobs fragrance might have women asking, "He loves me? He loves me not?"
(Mark: What are Rose Petals?)

NEXT IN LINE $400: USDA beef grades:
prime, choice...

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $6,800
Mark: $2,000
Rebecca: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A LOAD OF ODIN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALL OVER THE MAP (4/5)
ACTRESSES ONSTAGE (3/5)
QUOTES OF NOTE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HAREM SHUFFLE (5/5)
CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL RECIPIENTS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rebecca: 7 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Mark: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Arthur had $13,200, Mark had $3,600, and Rebecca was at $1,800. Arthur wagered $1,000.

QUOTES OF NOTE $1600: Churchill said he couldn't forecast the action of Russia: "It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside" this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rebecca who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Arthur had $16,600, Mark had $2,400, and Rebecca was at $4,600. Rebecca made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,600.

A LOAD OF ODIN $1600: Odin's sons by Frigga were Hermod, Hodur & this beloved son who died in a tragic accident
(Rebecca: This may end up being the stupidest thing I ever say in my life, but let's make it a True Daily Double, Alex.)
[Applause]
[Cheers and applause for Rebecca's correct response]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALL OVER THE MAP $2000: Looming over Zermatt:
this 14,692-foot peak

ACTRESSES ONSTAGE $800: If you know that this actress, who died in 2014 at 89, won a Tony for "Applause", just whistle!
(Mark: Who is Stritch?)
(Alex: The reference in the clue was to a famous scene in a motion picture that starred Humphrey Bogart and [*].)

ACTRESSES ONSTAGE $2000: Since starring as Evita in 1979, she's become one of Broadway's biggest stars

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $17,800
Rebecca: $12,800
Mark: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Arthur: Wager $7,801 to cover Rebecca.
Rebecca: You ought to wager to cover Mark, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $12,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,200 (to shut out Mark) or less than $2,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Mark). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Arthur.
Mark: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $2,000), you might try betting $4,801, playing for a win if Rebecca tries to two-thirds Arthur (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,000 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Rebecca to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its first chapter recalls "the little scallop-shell of pastry, so richly sensual under its severe, religious folds"

FINAL SCORES
Mark: $8,000 - $8,000 = $0 (What is The Hunchback of Notre Dame) (3rd place: $10,000)
Rebecca: $12,800 - $7,000 = $5,800 (What is Les Miserables?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Arthur: $17,800 + $7,801 = $25,601 (What is In Search of Lost Time?) (Finalist)
[After revealing Mark and Rebecca's reponses] (Alex: Both of you in favor of Victor Hugo, obviously. Both of you incorrect.)

[Revealing Arthur's response] (Alex: We come to Arthur Chu. He was leading, wrote down his response quickly, and he selected a more recent work, In Search of Lost Time. Arthur, you gave the secondary title. Most people know it as [*], by Marcel Proust.

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $18,200, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Rebecca: $9,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Mark: $8,000, 17 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 22/60 = .367
Mark: 17/58 = .293
Rebecca: 12/59 = .203
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BATTLE CREEK $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a video & map on the monitor.) 600 taxis rushed troops to the front in the opening weeks of World War I to turn back a German drive on Paris, an event that came to be known as the Miracle of this battleground river

A SCENTIMENTAL MOOD $400: Mandarin & Patchouli are scents in this male soccer star's Instinct cologne
(Mark: Who is Cristiano Ronaldo?)

ACTRESSES ONSTAGE $1600: It's no rumor--this actress, currently seen on a TV drama, won a Tony in 1989 for "Rumors"

QUOTES OF NOTE $1200: Nancy Reagan:
"A woman is like" this beverage item--"only in hot water do you realize how strong she is"
(Mark: What is tea?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Mark: Uh, what is iced tea?)

CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL RECIPIENTS $2000: This longtime Speaker of the House called himself "a Democrat without prefix, without suffix, and without apology"
(Arthur: Who is Tip O'Neill?)

CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL RECIPIENTS $1600: Congressman Leo Ryan was killed in this country, where he'd been investigating Jim Jones' Peoples Temple
(Mark: What is Venezuela?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tippecanoe
Finn
James Taylor
New Mexico
White Linen
zinc
Daisy
select
an enigma
Baldur
the Matterhorn
Lauren Bacall
Patti LuPone
Remembrance of Things Past
the Marne
David Beckham
Christine Baranski
tea bag
(Sam) Rayburn
Guyana
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

French Literature
Its first chapter recalls "the little scallop-shell of pastry, so richly sensual under its severe, religious folds".

Spoiler
What is Remembrance of Things Past, or as Arthur said, In Search of Lost Time? Mark said the Hunchback of Notre Dame; Rebecca said Les Miserables.

Arthur Chu: $17,800+$7,801=$25,601...advances to Finals
Rebecca Rider: $12,800-$7,000=$5,800
Mark Japinga: $8,000-$8,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was not around during Arthur's regular-season play on J! earlier this year, so my experience at watching him play is limited to last week and today's game. I must say that he is not fun to watch. His hit rate is pretty high, to be sure, but there is just something off-putting about him, like he doesn't seem to realize that other people even exist. I am not happy about how he talks over AT to make his category selections; there was another champ recently who also did that.

I got FJ correct. I pre-called ROTP when French Lit was the category.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LeroyFinkelstein
Contributor

Post by LeroyFinkelstein »

Great FJ question. (I got it, obviously.)

Anyone know if the judges would've accepted Swann's Way as well? That was my first response, but I changed it last-second to ISOLT.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Poor Rebecca, that could have been one of the great Jeopardy! comebacks. Good showing by Mark on the tail end of DJ too. Lach trash for me: Finn and Matterhorn (European sounding mountain, easy, no?).

Not a clue on final. Chu is good.
ACW

Post by ACW »

floridagator wrote:I was not around during Arthur's regular-season play on J! earlier this year, so my experience at watching him play is limited to last week and today's game. I must say that he is not fun to watch. His hit rate is pretty high, to be sure, but there is just something off-putting about him, like he doesn't seem to realize that other people even exist. I am not happy about how he talks over AT to make his category selections; there was another champ recently who also did that.

I got FJ correct. I pre-called ROTP when French Lit was the category.
As someone who has Asperger's, I'd not be surprised if Arthur had the same.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This was my best TOC J! board so far, with 15.

Lach Trash: New Mexico, Daisy, White Linen. Oddly, I learned of the latter being a fragrance from an early FoxTrot strip.

Dendrite was my only miss in Brainy Anagrams.

So of course my wheels completely come off in DJ! I coul've gotten raven, Ragnarok, Ecuador, Princess Bride, Missouri River, Champlain, Gershwin, and at least one or two others, but for some reason, my brain just decided to shut off again.

I actually took Volante's suggestion to mind from yesterday's thread:
I would not be opposed to letting you use the bumpers (pause button) for FJ if you do want to try. Attacking an FJ clue in 30 seconds is not easy; it's at least as much deciphering the clue as it is simply knowing the response, so hit pause and take your time. When you get an answer, unpause and find out. The more you practice, the faster you'll get and pause for less and less time.
But even extending the time greatly, not a single piece of French literature was coming to mind even in three minutes, much less 30 seconds. I just had nothing to go to even as a "put SOMEthing down" response. At least I recognize the correct response.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

floridagator wrote:I was not around during Arthur's regular-season play on J! earlier this year, so my experience at watching him play is limited to last week and today's game. I must say that he is not fun to watch. His hit rate is pretty high, to be sure, but there is just something off-putting about him, like he doesn't seem to realize that other people even exist. I am not happy about how he talks over AT to make his category selections; there was another champ recently who also did that.
I read several articles by or about Arthur during his regular-season run. I think it's just the way he plays-I do recall that he mentioned he talks over AT to make sure that all the clues get answered in a round.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Arthur for moving on to the finals and for having the sole get in FJ. I got 23 clues correct including James Taylor, New Mexico, Daisy, Matterhorn, and Patti LuPone, but not FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Arthur $17800, Rebecca $12800, Mark $8000 at the end of DJ!. Rebecca could have won on a TS with a bet between $0-$2800, but she bet $7000. Didn't matter anyway.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

LeroyFinkelstein wrote: Anyone know if the judges would've accepted Swann's Way as well? That was my first response, but I changed it last-second to ISOLT.
I should hope so. There is no basis for rejecting it.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Sat and stared at FJ for 20 seconds, not sure I would have written down Remembrance of Things Past in time.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Hmmm, given the news over the past few days, I'm not so sure if Mark would want to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Cosby. :oops: (yeah, I know it was taped weeks ago). Though, I guess it's fitting given the circumstances that led to his TOC invite.

Not sure what's the deal with zinc on the nose.

Again, great game by Arthur.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Lach trash: New Mexico (on the rebound), Daisy

I didn't get Final, and said Les Miserables instead. Tonight's game was quite enjoyable, and the boards were a little easier than yesterday, I thought. I have no problem with Arthur and would love to see him play Julia. I hope Ben wins tomorrow; that'd be one heck of a final.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Wow, what a performance by Arthur! His strategy has never been in question, but after being skeptical I am completely sold on his knowledge base now. Sure, he still isn't Rutter, Jennings, or Craig, but in my mind he has cemented his place in the second tier. In both rounds I feel like TPTB put him up against who they had pegged as the contestant who would be his toughest opponent possible, and both times he has handled himself masterfully.

Like last night's, this board felt easier than any of the ones from last week. There were still some clues that had weak TOMs, but for the most part it was an enjoyable board.

I got the "Matterhorn" triple stumper solely from its height. Sometimes it can help to write your own clues.

I joined the contestants on the negs at the end. I said Tip O'Neill for Sam Rayburn and Suriname for Guyana. Arthur did well to recover from the neg on the former.

I never would have gotten FJ. I really didn't know anything about the work other than its and author and approximate date of publication. I guessed Candide, with little confidence.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

25 right.

2014- 2; Next- 3; Brain- 1; Mood- 3; Battle- 3; I's- 1
Odin- 1; Map- 3; Onstage- 1; Nole- 2; Harem- 1; Gold- 4

Lach trash: "New Mexico"

Went with Les Miserables for FJ, but I did know the Remembrance of Things Past when Alex mentioned the alternate title.

I noticed in the advertising for the TOC before Final Jeopardy, they showed Julia and Arthur side by side at lecterns. Seeing that Arthur and Julia are both finalists, I would assume that was a spoiler?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rebecca's play today (especially in the last half of DJ!) reminded me why I fell in love with her (metaphorically) during her original run. Her confidence in answering and clue selection is great to see, and I was blown away as to how fast she answered that crucial TDD. I was definitely rooting for her after that (and was surprised that Arthur didn't get in / answer the next dozen or so questions considering the way he was Chuing up the board prior.

Said "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" forgetting that J! doesn't have BWAs.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ryno wrote:Hmmm, given the news over the past few days, I'm not so sure if Mark would want to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Cosby. :oops: (yeah, I know it was taped weeks ago).
The original allegations were a decade ago though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Don't worry; you are from the minority on that one. I personally think he's a boss.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.