The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:It's the same thing with books, movies, and music. I grew up exposed to so little that, even when part of me wants to try something new, I have no idea where to start.
Say no more. Go read Lord of the Flies. Now. Report back here for your next assignment.

Optional: While you're reading it, listen to Bach's Mass in B Minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GRD2zD16E
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:It's the same thing with books, movies, and music. I grew up exposed to so little that, even when part of me wants to try something new, I have no idea where to start. I have no bearing on what I might like or what even sounds interesting. For instance, I listened to Metallica's black album last night because I had been recommended it as a fairly accessible metal album. But I have no idea what to think of it because it's so removed from anything I know.

I don't remember reading a single novel in four years of high school English.
Pick up a copy of Treasure Island. It's an easy classic to get started, and it was written for kids, although kids were apparently made of sterner stuff in those days, the way that the bodies add up.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:So, basic geography to get $200 and the rest required zero knowledge of Togo
So that explains why I ran the category.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Al Gore at $200?

Events for $200 was a coinflip on Veterans/Memorial IMO.

Didn't know what SMS stood for.
A VP in an Oscar-winning documentary, Nobel winner and never Prez is a very very very short list.

I went with Veterans Day since "Nov." was in the wording. ;)

No clue on SMS either.

Sorry to read about your deceased cat. That would ruin anyone's evening.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The problem with recommendations is, if I go in totally blind, I panic and get hopelessly lost about 3 seconds in because I'm overthinking so hard. I always want to know every single curve in the route before I even start my journey, because I'm so afraid that I'll misinterpret something and have the misinterpretation completely cloud my understanding of it, or just plain have a completely nonsensical reaction. Even going in with enough advance knowledge to get the lay of the land without thoroughly being spoiled, I still find myself overthinking like crazy. And if I finally get all the way through it, I have no idea what to think in terms of like/dislike/indifferent, because I'm still so busy analyzing and thinking about what I just experienced.

It happens whenever I partake of any medium. I've been trying to wrap my brain around metal, because I want to break down my preconceived notions about it. I was recommended Metallica's black/self titled album, because I've been told that it's a good starting point. I've listened through it three times, and I've heard a couple of its tracks individually a few more times than that. But I'm too busy analyzing the song structures, picking apart the lyrics to figure out what all of them could possibly mean, and so forth.

I think a lot of it is that I'm so far afield from anything I normally like that I just have no idea how to react. I can't draw any parallels to things I already know that I like or dislike, because it's just that far removed. Even moving a little closer to home doesn't usually help, because a lot of the time, even closer is still too far away.

And I don't know how to just relax and partake of something without overthinking it into oblivion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:$200: continent = Africa - Yeah if you don't know this one then yes, mark the zero for the category
$400: currency = same as France so franc - think McFly and don't get distracted by the things in the clue you don't know
$600: world cup sport = soccer - go with the obvious and you if guess rugby or cricket instead that's no big crime
$800: malaria creature = mosquito - ignore the photo with the bed and netting and listen to Alex
$1000: Muslim holy month = Ramadan - It's J! so it's always going to be that Pavlov

So, basic geography to get $200 and the rest required zero knowledge of Togo
If you don't know I suppose Asia isn't a bad guess. I knew where it is and that pretty much ends my knowledge of Togo. Luckily for me the writers don't know anything else about the country as I ran the category with ease. Yes, you should go with the obvious on World Cup, especially during the Teen Tournament.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Didn't know what SMS stood for.
No clue on SMS either.
IIRC, the clue essentially said that the first "S" in SMS is short for this, so keep it brief. Ergo, they wanted a word starting with "S" that is synonymous with brief.

I'm sorry for your loss, TPH.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The problem with recommendations is, if I go in totally blind, I panic and get hopelessly lost about 3 seconds in because I'm overthinking so hard.
Why are you still here? You're supposed to be reading Lord of the Flies. Go on now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The problem with recommendations is, if I go in totally blind, I panic and get hopelessly lost about 3 seconds in because I'm overthinking so hard.
Why are you still here? You're supposed to be reading Lord of the Flies. Go on now.
Is "dealing with a nasty bout of food poisoning" a good excuse? Vomit mixes with neither books nor laptops. :D
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO any of those colleges in $200. Why should I know any of them?
Well, Princeton is an Ivy League school...
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! How about a TOM or something, hmm?!?
1. Cape Town, so South Africa
2. 1989, so apartheid-era South Africa.
3. Law degree, so maybe someone involved in politics in apartheid-era South Africa?
4. Correspondence degree in absentia, so someone who was unable to attend classes in person and couldn't go to graduation (and since Jeopardy! is asking about it, the person would have a notable reason for both, probably prison or death).

Add that all together, and Nelson Mandela is a reasonable guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JemRiffster wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO any of those colleges in $200. Why should I know any of them?
Well, Princeton is an Ivy League school...
I meant the obscure ones in $200. Princeton I've heard of.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

JemRiffster wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
3. Law degree, so maybe someone involved in politics in apartheid-era South Africa?
4. Correspondence degree in absentia, so someone who was unable to attend classes in person and couldn't go to graduation (and since Jeopardy! is asking about it, the person would have a notable reason for both, probably prison or death).

Not death; that would be posthumous. Prison, house arrest or exile would be "notable reasons". Agree that Mandela was an instaget.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
JemRiffster wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

Not death; that would be posthumous. Prison, house arrest or exile would be "notable reasons". Agree that Mandela was an instaget.
I agree entirely, but apparently other boarders think Gandhi was kinda reasonable.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I meant the obscure ones in $200. Princeton I've heard of.
Sorry. Misread your comment. I think the $200 clue is the only one I don't remember the gist of.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We can visit Emerson, Simmons & Northeastern in one trip. because all those schools are in this city
This is the $200 clue. I agree it was a bit tough for the top row. Northeastern is the only one I've heard of, so that gave it to me. But I think Boston would be a good guess for a city in the northeast.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
We can visit Emerson, Simmons & Northeastern in one trip. because all those schools are in this city
This is the $200 clue. I agree it was a bit tough for the top row. Northeastern is the only one I've heard of, so that gave it to me. But I think Boston would be a good guess for a city in the northeast.
Who said that a college called Northeastern is in the Northeast of the US? It could just be in the northeast of the state it's in (cf. Central Michigan University, Western Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Northern Michigan University...)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Who said that a college called Northeastern is in the Northeast of the US?...
The writers for making it a $200 clue. You're overthinking again, TPH.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Who said that a college called Northeastern is in the Northeast of the US?...
The writers for making it a $200 clue. You're overthinking again, TPH.
I'm with TPH here. I've never heard of any of those colleges.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

A fair number of actors and comedians went to Emerson (which is primarily a communications school), which means I've heard it invoked on a fair number of podcasts.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Who said that a college called Northeastern is in the Northeast of the US? It could just be in the northeast of the state it's in (cf. Central Michigan University, Western Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Northern Michigan University...)
I concur.
Northwestern comes to mind. It isn't even in northwest Illinois.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
I concur.
Northwestern comes to mind. It isn't even in northwest Illinois.
Perhaps what was considered the Northwestern part of the country was slightly different circa 1850?