The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 am I got it by guessing a place in Michigan that starts with K. When dealing with a list most people are unfamiliar with (like counties in Michigan), looking for something that starts with the same letter is a good place to start.
Whereas I hit a blank on other K names and went back into the J's. I'm always either going way too far back, or not far enough back. Is there a way to get better at these alphabetically previous/next clues?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 am I got it by guessing a place in Michigan that starts with K. When dealing with a list most people are unfamiliar with (like counties in Michigan), looking for something that starts with the same letter is a good place to start.
Whereas I hit a blank on other K names and went back into the J's. I'm always either going way too far back, or not far enough back. Is there a way to get better at these alphabetically previous/next clues?
Maybe there isn't. It's always the same alphabet.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

grindcore wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm Maybe there isn't. It's always the same alphabet.
I did this with the "Alphabetically next" state capitals in this game:
. On $200, I skipped right ahead to "Augusta Av, Aw, Ax… got nothing." "Lincoln… Lind, Line, Linf… nothing." "Jefferson City… Jeg, Jeh, Jei, Jej… Nothing." "Boise… Boj, Bok, Bol, Bom, Bon, got nothing… what, BOSTON is a capital?!?"
Same thing with "Alphabetically first of Santa's reindeer". You have to freaking SPRINT through all eight of them, because the correct answer is usually the last one listed.
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm
grindcore wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm Maybe there isn't. It's always the same alphabet.
I did this with the "Alphabetically next" state capitals in this game:
. On $200, I skipped right ahead to "Augusta Av, Aw, Ax… got nothing." "Lincoln… Lind, Line, Linf… nothing." "Jefferson City… Jeg, Jeh, Jei, Jej… Nothing." "Boise… Boj, Bok, Bol, Bom, Bon, got nothing… what, BOSTON is a capital?!?"
Same thing with "Alphabetically first of Santa's reindeer". You have to freaking SPRINT through all eight of them, because the correct answer is usually the last one listed.
In my experience Jeopardy answers are (almost) always the most obvious answer in the field of possible answers to the question. I was explaining this to my brother and I used an example from a FJ last week. Category was ancient history, and the clue was something like "this African war general..." something something something. You don't even have to know the rest of the clue. Ancient African war general is Hannibal.

As for the Kalamazoo q, I got that just by thinking of another Michigan K place, as the person above: most obvious answer. Kalamazoo is well known for having a quirky name. I think there might be a humour poem about it or someone famous was from there. I would have gotten the reindeer one not by thinking reindeer first but letter first. There may be more letters than reindeer, but the first alphabetically is probably going to be in the first few letters of the alphabet. So I'd think: A? No. B? Blitzen!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 am I got it by guessing a place in Michigan that starts with K.
Okay, how was I supposed to know to stay in the K's then?
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm As for the Kalamazoo q, I got that just by thinking of another Michigan K place, as the person above: most obvious answer.
Again, how was I supposed to know to stick with the K's?
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pmKalamazoo is well known for having a quirky name. I think there might be a humour poem about it or someone famous was from there.
I know the song "Della and the Dealer" mentions it, and isn't there something about a Gal in Kalamazoo? Still, it got lost because it's far from the only silly name in Michigan.
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pmI would have gotten the reindeer one not by thinking reindeer first but letter first. There may be more letters than reindeer, but the first alphabetically is probably going to be in the first few letters of the alphabet. So I'd think: A? No. B? Blitzen!
"Well, the first few are Dasher and Dancer. Totally plausible that a D would be the first one, right? Okay, keep going. Prancervixencometcu-- crap, time's up."
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm In my experience Jeopardy answers are (almost) always the most obvious answer in the field of possible answers to the question.

Except the hundreds and hundreds of times they aren't (cf. Gigi Grazer, liederkranz, flight simulator...)
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 amAgain, how was I supposed to know to stick with the K's?
I think it's a decent assumption that the place listed wasn't the only K city in Michigan, since it started with KA. If it were "Kyrgyzstan City" that might be a different story. Even if it were the only one, K is at least where you should start. If you really couldn't think of any more K cities, then would be the time to move on to L.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 am"Well, the first few are Dasher and Dancer. Totally plausible that a D would be the first one, right? Okay, keep going. Prancervixencometcu-- crap, time's up."
That's going reindeer first, not letter first. ;)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 am
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm In my experience Jeopardy answers are (almost) always the most obvious answer in the field of possible answers to the question.
Except the hundreds and hundreds of times they aren't (cf. Gigi Grazer, liederkranz, flight simulator...)
Then I guess we have different views of what is obvious.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

How many answers have there been in Jeopardy! history? Tens of thousands? Having hundreds and hundreds of non-obvious answers still means the obvious answer is almost always the correct one.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pm

How many answers have there been in Jeopardy! history? Tens of thousands? Having hundreds and hundreds of non-obvious answers still means the obvious answer is almost always the correct one.
The more answers I get wrong, the less confident I get. That's why I've stopped keeping score. It's why I never guess because I fear a trap -- because it's happened before, why wouldn't it happen again? Or I expect a Liederkranz-level obscure clue because again, it's happened before. Or I expect myself to just randomly derp up the clue somehow because that's happened before too.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am

The more answers I get wrong, the less confident I get. That's why I've stopped keeping score. It's why I never guess because I fear a trap -- because it's happened before, why wouldn't it happen again? Or I expect a Liederkranz-level obscure clue because again, it's happened before. Or I expect myself to just randomly derp up the clue somehow because that's happened before too.
If you're not sure, just guess the most obvious answer. I'll bet if you kept track of the times you weren't sure of the answer and guessed the obvious choice, I'd still bet you'd get more right than wrong.

I just think you're taking this game personally as an affront to your intelligence when you get an answer wrong. Realize you don't know everything out there, and just set out to learn more. Some of the stuff I've seen you post makes me super surprised that you watch a trivia show and don't know certain (what I thought were) basic facts about science or pop culture. Just sit back and learn something new. If you're not having fun, stop wasting your time and do something you like.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am

Do you know what confirmation bias means? ...I probably should explain it just to be safe - It's when you remember an event so vividly that you lose sight of how likely it is to happen - for instance your frustration with one obscure question makes you miss that there's 100 straightforwards for every Stroopwaffel.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm How should I know they wanted Disneyland and not any of the 847 other California theme parks?
If Jeopardy! asks about Californian theme parks, odds are they're going for Disneyland, Universal Hollywood, or Knott's Berry Farm. I almost said the latter before going to Disneyland.
That still makes it at best a 1-in-3.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm How should I know they wanted Disneyland and not any of the 847 other California theme parks?
If Jeopardy! asks about Californian theme parks, odds are they're going for Disneyland, Universal Hollywood, or Knott's Berry Farm. I almost said the latter before going to Disneyland.
One of them is the most famous theme park on the planet. The other two aren't. It's a 1-in-1 guess.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: Obama was a surprising stand-and-stare, though I admit I whiffed on it too by failing to leave the 48.
I wouldn't call it that surprising, since it was an easy mistake to make. I did likewise, but I readily guessed Nixon instead. That made it easy to get Nixon when his clue came up afterwards.
Other lach trash: Sally Field, plantation, Gerald Ford, room temperature
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 pm
The category is "Most Instagrammed" which might as well have been "most visited." Do you believe that Knott's Berry Farm has more visitors than Disneyland?

Jumbuck + Aussie animal there's a lot of? That's at BEST a 1/3 on kangaroo/koala/sheep. Nasty clue, and my only miss in the category. Especially since "jumbuck" sounds like "jumping".
In the song, the swagman puts the jumbuck in his tucker-bag, either to sell or eat it. One of those three animals has significantly more nutritional and monetary value. From a meta-perspective, giving you "Australian" to get koala or kangaroo is too easy for the second-hardest row.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am The category is "Most Instagrammed" which might as well have been "most visited." Do you believe that Knott's Berry Farm has more visitors than Disneyland?
See again "expecting a trap clue because it's happened before."
Wheatley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am In the song, the swagman puts the jumbuck in his tucker-bag, either to sell or eat it. One of those three animals has significantly more nutritional and monetary value. From a meta-perspective, giving you "Australian" to get koala or kangaroo is too easy for the second-hardest row.
That also requires you to know the song, which I doubt any American does.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 am
Wheatley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am In the song, the swagman puts the jumbuck in his tucker-bag, either to sell or eat it. One of those three animals has significantly more nutritional and monetary value. From a meta-perspective, giving you "Australian" to get koala or kangaroo is too easy for the second-hardest row.
That also requires you to know the song, which I doubt any American does.
I recognized the word from "Waltzing Matilda," but I couldn't put it in the "swagman stole a sheep" context quickly enough.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:15 am Sometimes the TOM isn't written in the clue. In this case, one could tease out that for the word to be Australian slang, the animal must be fairly plentiful elsewhere too; otherwise the Australian word for the animal would just be the word for the animal.
Sense made = -∞
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 am
Wheatley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am The category is "Most Instagrammed" which might as well have been "most visited." Do you believe that Knott's Berry Farm has more visitors than Disneyland?
See again "expecting a trap clue because it's happened before."
Are you starting to keep track? That's one where the "obvious" answer is the correct one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:15 am Sometimes the TOM isn't written in the clue. In this case, one could tease out that for the word to be Australian slang, the animal must be fairly plentiful elsewhere too; otherwise the Australian word for the animal would just be the word for the animal.
Sense made = -∞
Tell me a native Australian animal that they have their own, different word for. If only they’ve got the animal, then their word becomes the English word for it, no slang involved. Sheep, however, first came to Australia in the 18th century, when the English language already had a word for them.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 am Tell me a native Australian animal that they have their own, different word for.
Koala = dropbear was the first that comes to mind.

Plus, we have nicknames for species native to the Americas.