The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pm "Wings" strikes me as one of those "firsts" that seems noteworthy only for its "first"ness, rather than for being an actual thing. Sort of like how nobody really knows "Video Killed the Radio Star" for anything other than "first video aired on MTV".
...and with that second sentence you've just given me an earworm. :roll:

Seriously? You've never heard of the Buggles, or actually listened to/watched the song?

As for Wings, what's fascinating about it is its chronicling of the very early days of planes being used in warfare, and the huge risks taken by pilots every day - in the very beginning, for reconnaissance rather than combat. It's much more than a mere statistic.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pm "Wings" strikes me as one of those "firsts" that seems noteworthy only for its "first"ness, rather than for being an actual thing. Sort of like how nobody really knows "Video Killed the Radio Star" for anything other than "first video aired on MTV".
...and with that second sentence you've just given me an earworm. :roll:

Seriously? You've never heard of the Buggles, or actually listened to/watched the song?
I'm sure it's a very generational thing. I'd certainly remember the song whether or not it was the first MTV video.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The Buggles were a one-hit wonder in the most literal sense. "Video Killed the Radio Star" got to #40 and they never saw the Hot 100 again. (Not saying that the Hot 100 is the de-facto measurement of hit-ness. After all, by that logic, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Garth Brooks, and Gorillaz would all be one-hit wonders.)

Does anyone from that era actually remember it as a song? It's been my experience that far more people remember it as a trivia item than a song.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 am Does anyone from that era actually remember it as a song? It's been my experience that far more people remember it as a trivia item than a song.
Yes, it got radio airplay. I didn't have cable or MTV and knew the song at the time.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I agree with TPH here - "Video Killed The Radio Star" really only gained popularity by being first on MTV. It's still in "80's" rotation, but it was a one-hit-wonder. But it's a good piece of trivia.

I've never seen "Wings", but it's a pretty common bit of trivia.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

This is entirely fair. I mean, Oscar trivia is as deep in my wheelhouse as a category could be (I honestly can't think of a category I would be more tempted to Clavin on in FJ, for example) so I know this, but...yeah, Wings is only really known for that.

A more interesting bit of trivia is the 1st Academy Awards effectively had TWO Best Picture winners (and non divided into genre, either): Wings won "Outstanding Picture" and Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans won "Unique and Artistic Production." Only "Outstanding Picture" was carried on to the 2nd ceremony (and later renamed "Best Picture") and so Wings was grandfathered in as the "first BP winner" but, at the time, there were effectively two.

Incidentally, this did not stop Fox from putting Sunrise in a box set of best picture winners. Also, of course Sunrise is the far more important and remembered film of the two.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 am Does anyone from that era actually remember it as a song? It's been my experience that far more people remember it as a trivia item than a song.
Yes - as I said, your mention of it gave me an earworm yesterday, and you've just done it again now. It's on repeat in my brain at the moment. :o
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It's unlikely that anyone around when it was shown in theaters is still around. But, it plays on Turner Classic Movies from time to time - it just aired last month, in fact. And, Wings was notable for more than just being the first Best Picture winner; its footage of aerial dogfights is still phenomenal. Unlike today's CGI movies, they had real planes up in the air doing the same maneuvers as if it was an actual battle. Keep in mind, too, that this was within 10 years of WWI. It also featured Clara Bow, known as the "It Girl" - that fact shows up on Jeopardy as well, so watching the movie is a "two-fer."
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ben Folds had a decent cover of VKTRS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clue: "Three countries beginning with J."

Me: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

How does this keep happening?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm Clue: "Three countries beginning with J."

Only one of the contestants on the show was able to even come up with more than one... you're definitely not alone on that one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They play the song a lot on the Sirius ‘80s channel. But I agree it is better known for being the first MTV song than on its own merits.

Never seen Wings, but it is also known more by the general public for being the first Oscar winner. I doubt I’d be familiar with it otherwise.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:37 pmAny reason I should know those pamphlets were sent over Seattle and not any other major WA city?
I'm with you there. Although once Spokane and Tacoma are eliminated, Seattle becomes a pretty good guess, especially near the top of a J! round category. The risk is minimal for a wrong guess. Even then, I wouldn't have chanced a guess without the previous misses.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

As the state capital, Olympia would be a good guess. I could see someone doing that if the legislature was in session so they could push for women’s voting rights.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm Clue: "Three countries beginning with J."

You're psyching yourself out.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm not sure I could name 3 off the top of my head, but I can name 1, then get another one, then get another one.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

jeffwolfe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 am

You're psyching yourself out.
I attest to this. I went through a bit of a dry spell last summer and continuously missing does indeed hurt one's confidence. You try harder and overthink the easier clues, or fail to parse out key terms. I broke out of it thanks to the Teen and College Tournament re-runs during the hiatus.

Maybe that's what you need to do also, TPH. Like a slumping baseball player, sometimes just getting back to the basics and remembering what making contact feels like goes a long way. Thumb through some old kids/teen/college games in the Archive and try to remember what it feels like to get Final right. I know you know some of the material, so maybe by doing this you'll be able to loosen up and be able to work your way through more clues when the time comes.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

threearruda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 amThumb through some old kids/teen/college games in the Archive and try to remember what it feels like to get Final right.
The problem there is I was missing a lot of THOSE, too.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am
threearruda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 amThumb through some old kids/teen/college games in the Archive and try to remember what it feels like to get Final right.
The problem there is I was missing a lot of THOSE, too.
Which is another way of saying that you got some of them. But when things are going poorly, you remember only the misses.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When did you last get FJ right?