The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS $400: In Dublin La Fheile Padraig happens in this month

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

Irish holiday for Patrick = St. Patrick's Day
That's March.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS $400: In Dublin La Fheile Padraig happens in this month

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

That's March.
I didn't spot the cognate, so to my ears and eyes, "la fheile Padraig" could've been literally anything. Even now, it's still relying on the inherently subjective "sounds like" trap. How do I know that's not a false friend?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS $400: In Dublin La Fheile Padraig happens in this month

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

That's March.
I didn't spot the cognate, so to my ears and eyes, "la fheile Padraig" could've been literally anything. Even now, it's still relying on the inherently subjective "sounds like" trap. How do I know that's not a false friend?
If it were, it wouldn't be in a J! clue.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

That's March.
If it is, are you getting it "more wrong" than if you don't guess? Assume it is a clue, because if you don't know it already, a false friend isn't going to help you know it less.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

So wait are you telling me Pat Harrington from One Day at a Time is the same guy as golfer Padraig Harrington?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

That's March.
If it is, are you getting it "more wrong" than if you don't guess? Assume it is a clue, because if you don't know it already, a false friend isn't going to help you know it less.
I just saw a bunch of gibberish that didn't look even remotely like any English word. That left "Dublin" as the only TOM, which led me nowhere. If anything, the gibberish led me away from St. Patrick's Day, because it didn't look like it was in any way helpful.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Dublin = Ireland
Padraig = Patrick

That's March.
I just saw a bunch of gibberish that didn't look even remotely like any English word. That left "Dublin" as the only TOM, which led me nowhere. If anything, the gibberish led me away from St. Patrick's Day, because it didn't look like it was in any way helpful.
Clues don’t get much easier than “name an Irish holiday.”

163 pages now and you’re still complaining that words like “Dublin” and “holiday” don’t mean anything to you.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:12 pmuch easier than “name an Irish holiday.” 163 pages now and you’re still complaining that words like “Dublin” and “holiday” don’t mean anything to you.
They did mean things to me, but the unfamiliarity of " La Fheile Padraig" distracted me and led me AWAY from the correct rseponse.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

search.php?keywords=juliette+gordon+low ... mit=Search

Knowledge of the cookies was not necessary for today's clue.

Salzburg to Mozart is very common on J! and top box makes it even more so. Go for it.

Your comment about poet laureate is not your first time on that one.

Well done solving the FJ! clue that went 0/3.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:44 pm Knowledge of the cookies was not necessary for today's clue.
"Graham cracker campfire classic" threw me for a loop because I couldn't see S'mores translating to a cookie. I don't know of a s'mores flavor girl scout cookie, so I got sidetracked by graham cracker pie crusts and almost WAGed "key lime pie".

I thought trefoils and shortbread were two different things. Shortbread isn't actually bread, so I thought they wanted an actual bread like rye.

"Also heard during a square dance" got my brain snagged on "hoedown" and unable to budge.

I haven't seen Thin Mints in ages, so I thought they were green.

I actually knew Juliette Gordon Low, but the name was just a little bit too far back in the gray matter to surface in time.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:44 pmSalzburg to Mozart is very common on J! and top box makes it even more so. Go for it.
There was so much other garbage in the clue that I didn't even see Salzburg at all. Even going back, it's like the third word in a clue that's about 4 billion words long, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle there.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:44 pmYour comment about poet laureate is not your first time on that one.
Which planet is the biggest, again?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote:I've heard of the plagues of Egypt themselves, but still went 0/5 in that category. Blood to water, lice, and hail were all unfamiliar to me.
Do yourself a favor and rent, or watch on Netflix, The Ten Commandments the next time you have a day off and it is stay inside weather.
I promise, it's less boring than sitting through church.
It's a lengthy movie but very engrossing. It had excellent special effects for the time it was made. Considering there was no such thing as CGI, it must have been amazing for those folks that saw it in the theater.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So this week I just seem to be getting worse and worse at the main game. Is the material just not suiting me, or is my brain fried? Take a look at yesterday's game:
"Old" Christine on "The New Adventures of Old Christine" & Selina Meyer on "Veep"
I recognize JLD's name for its Hawley-Smoot factor, and I recognize both shows named, but not knowing any of JLD's roles off the top of my head, I was sunk.
Term for the edge of western U.S. settlement; Alaska is called "the last" one
"Last frontier" rang a faint bell, but too faint for me to hear in time. I've heard the term used in multiple contexts, so I didn't associate it with Alaska specifically.
The "B" in ICBM stands for this kind of missile
I've heard of a ballistic missile, but not an ICBM specifically, so the parallels didn't click in time.
The first plague was the turning of the waters of Egypt into this
I've heard of the 10 plagues of Egypt, but frogs, locusts, and death of firstborn were the only ones I recognized.
A spot in the Pacific is so remote that word space agencies use it as a dumping area because there's little chance of endangering humans; it's named Point this after a literary captain whose name means "no one" in Latin
I've heard of Captain Nemo, but in true Clue Crew fashion, this clue was so tl;dr that I tapped out halfway through.
The Girl Scouts' version of this graham cracker campfire classic is a favorite
Already explained this one. I had a brain glitch and the only sweet thing I could think of with graham crackers in it was a pie of some kind.

====
"World War Z" is Max Brooks' history of a global war in the near future against these
Title doesn't ring a bell.
In 1896 the perhaps less skilled Alfred Austin succeeded Tennyson in this literary post
I've said before: I always thought "poet laureate" was something metaphorical and not literal.
Witch crushed to death. Victim's sister also killed. Killer sent to Kansas, not prison
This should've been a get, but I had a brain fart and lost the title in my mental file.
In 1779 he came home to Salzburg & wrote his 32nd symphony; in 2003 the L.A. Phil played it to open its new home, Disney Hall
Didn't catch "Salzburg", and even if I had, I wouldn't have been able to pin it to Mozart.
It can mean to tangle up or to growl viciously, especially with the teeth bared like an animal
Can't say I've encountered "snarl" used to mean "tangle up".
This Texas city, "The Big D", has an average of 234 sunny days per year
"I'm goin' through the Big D and don't mean Dallas." I think by this point I'd just given up.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm Is the material just not suiting me, or is my brain fried?
The answer could easily be both. No matter how skilled you are/not, some days the categories just line up against you, plain and simple. It happens to everyone once in a while; I went through this just last week.

Often, if I have a bad day at school/work my focus will be on other tasks/items, so my scores may be negatively impacted as such. If you're fatigued from work or whatever, you will be more inclined to make stupid mistakes where you know better. I think what's more is that when you're fatigued, you know you're off. You notice more when things don't fall the right way and it snowballs from there.

A good way for you in particular to test is if you feel "off" when watching WoF. If you do not solve puzzles as quickly as you normally would, then fatigue is the likely answer and there's less need to worry. Even if the material proves tougher for a few days, take solace in knowing it won't last forever. I'm sure you will be back in form at some point soon, trust me! :)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

EPIC POETRY $400: Virgil’s “Aeneid” relates the founding of Lavinium, a town near this more famous locale

The writers write for J! contestants. Virgil's Aeneid going with Rome is top box. It's the wrong show for you to get "4-letter Italian capital city" in the wording.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm
In 1896 the perhaps less skilled Alfred Austin succeeded Tennyson in this literary post
I've said before: I always thought "poet laureate" was something metaphorical and not literal.
Do you mean I could be the laureate poet,
But not know it?
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
Hence the phrase "Swiss Alps" (that specificity wouldn't be necessary if they were exclusively Swiss).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Italy!, Monaco, Liechtenstein (I was there last year!), and Slovenia.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
Jeez. Now I'm no one. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.