The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm I'd rather watch Iain Armitage read clues for Jeopardy! for the next 72 years than watch 30 seconds of Young Sheldon.
But then you would miss his sister Missy blowing up (TX doesn't mess around - it looked like an M-80) a baseball trophy the mom went through a lot of effort to DIY since the trophy store (run by guest Louie Anderson) only had boy baseball player ones.
...nope, still not worth it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

But then you would miss his sister Missy blowing up (TX doesn't mess around - it looked like an M-80) a baseball trophy the mom went through a lot of effort to DIY since the trophy store (run by guest Louie Anderson) only had boy baseball player ones.
AUGH! SPOILER!!! (j/k; already watched the episode)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So yeah, 13 years and I've only ever gone 5/5 once. This one really stung since the correct response was in my database but just didn't surface.

Anyone think I'll ever get that perfecto?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:28 am So yeah, 13 years and I've only ever gone 5/5 once. This one really stung since the correct response was in my database but just didn't surface.

Regular play or any week? I'm just happy you got Iceland.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:49 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:28 am So yeah, 13 years and I've only ever gone 5/5 once. This one really stung since the correct response was in my database but just didn't surface.

Regular play or any week? I'm just happy you got Iceland.
Regular play would be best but I'll take anything. Somehow even in Teen Tournaments or even Kids' Weeks, there's always gotta be that ONE clue that keeps me from a perfecto (I remember this one in particular). I think I actually went 0/10 in a TT a couple seasons ago.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm I'd rather watch Iain Armitage read clues for Jeopardy! for the next 72 years than watch 30 seconds of Young Sheldon.
Doesn't this belong in the Current Events thread...??!... ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Poll request seen. Sorry that ruined your perfect score of getting all the previous Emily Dickinson top box clues.

Here is your homework to memorize all the series listed for Apple+ & Disney+ as the writers have already asked about some of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... pple_TV%2B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... ted_series
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I've NHO Hailee Steinfeld either (or Apple+, for that matter) but I read the clue as "name a 19th-century female poet who would be a $200 clue" and that worked out for me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 pm I've NHO Hailee Steinfeld either (or Apple+, for that matter) but I read the clue as "name a 19th-century female poet who would be a $200 clue" and that worked out for me.
I missed it because I got lost in all that other crap and didn’t focus on the key part of the clue. Certainly one I get if I don’t zone out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 pm I've NHO Hailee Steinfeld either (or Apple+, for that matter) but I read the clue as "name a 19th-century female poet who would be a $200 clue" and that worked out for me.
I missed it because I got lost in all that other crap and didn’t focus on the key part of the clue. Certainly one I get if I don’t zone out.
Pretty much the main reason behind me missing it too. Not recognizing Hailee Steinfeld or Apple TV+ threw me miles off course, and in the moment I just figured it was something that was buzzworthy at tape time but already forgotten about by the time the episode aired.
davey

Post by davey »

Apple+ launched in November and there have been about a million articles about it and its programming. I don't subscribe and I don't know anyone who does but it's been hard to avoid reporting on it. You have to read to succeed at the game, that's all.
Not that it matters for this clue as has been noted.19th C. American female poet is a Pavlov for Dickinson. Certainly in the top box. I suppose it helps to recognize Hailee is female... :roll:
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm Ran Good Choice, 4/5 in Men, You (overthought "fraternity") and Desert (didn't realize Australia had deserts).
Not only does it HAVE deserts, fully 35% of the continent is covered in true desert, and another 35% is semi-arid.
--
Drowning in the pool
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm Ran Good Choice, 4/5 in Men, You (overthought "fraternity") and Desert (didn't realize Australia had deserts).
Not only does it HAVE deserts, fully 35% of the continent is covered in true desert, and another 35% is semi-arid.
[sarcasm] and then there are the parts that, like TPH, are all wet. [/sarcasm]
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2016, 2017 & 2018 including a whole category, but with no 2019 she was poof and gone for you.

#7814, aired 2018-07-26 FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT $200: You can see Gal's early work on the series "Bubot", made in this, her home country
#7814, aired 2018-07-26 FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT $400: As Gisele, Gal ultimately proved mortal in the sixth installment of this high-octane franchise
#7814, aired 2018-07-26 FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT $600: Gal can be seen glamming it up as Vinny Chase's date on an episode of this HBO comedy
#7814, aired 2018-07-26 FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT $800: While Tina Fey & Steve Carell are having this title evening in a 2010 film, they meet Mark Wahlberg & Gal
#7814, aired 2018-07-26 FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT $1000: The first time Gal played Wonder Woman was in this movie
#7649, aired 2017-12-07 SPEECH OF PARTS $1200: In 2017 this actress asked, "How can a woman fight in this?"
#7301, aired 2016-05-16 POP CULTURE $400: Gal Gadot as this character brought some Amazon estrogen to 2016's "Batman v. Superman"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Salami is possible, but for the FJ! round I would say think Columbus if you see Genoa in the clue.

No argument from me that large intestine was easier than MRNA, tried Hawking for DD1 and I also got nipped by Labrador.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 pm 2016, 2017 & 2018 including a whole category, but with no 2019 she was poof and gone for you.
July 2018 me was indeed 0/5 in the Gal Gadot category, and questioned why she'd be so notable as to get a whole category given she had only two other clues at the time. I still don't see why I should retain knowledge of her, or why her being Israeli is $200-box material even in the ToC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:44 pm Salami is possible, but for the FJ! round I would say think Columbus if you see Genoa in the clue.
And I knew that too. Still didn't click because I had no point of reference for the "500 years" part and was so fixated on "it's probably a battle between those two countries or something".
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm I utterly disagree with "Kids' Week FJ!" Nothing in the clue implied that it was comparatively recent, so it could've been something that happened 500 years prior to 2020, 2002, 1992, 1892, 1692, 1492, 492, or 16 AD. And if you thought the way I did, you could get snagged trying to think of maybe Spain and Italy had a big or not-so-big battle between the two of them at some point.
This FJ will poll well above 90%. Maybe over 95%.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jev15 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:55 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm I utterly disagree with "Kids' Week FJ!" Nothing in the clue implied that it was comparatively recent, so it could've been something that happened 500 years prior to 2020, 2002, 1992, 1892, 1692, 1492, 492, or 16 AD. And if you thought the way I did, you could get snagged trying to think of maybe Spain and Italy had a big or not-so-big battle between the two of them at some point.
Then why did I still miss it? Overthinking? Underthinking?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:02 am
jev15 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:55 am
Then why did I still miss it? Overthinking? Underthinking?
Your choice of years is a little wide, considering the World's Fair/Expo nudge. To me, those always seem to evoke a early-to-mid 1900s flavor, and honestly, I can't remember ever seeing a news story about one of the modern ones, but they do exist. I did think "Huh, a World's Fair in 1992 - that late?", but the cities just lead me to Columbus.

And, for reference, the first World's Fair was about 1850. So, really, you're looking for an event from 1450-1520 that involved Spain and Italy in some way, shape, or form.

The other hint: what Princeton Review called the "Joe Bloggs" (or Joe Blow) principle. Easy questions have easy answers. Hard questions have hard answers. That's not always the case in J! or DJ! rounds, but in FJ!, a lot of the clues are hard, but not so hard that the average person at home wouldn't go, "Oh, of course!" after the answer is revealed. They don't want to frustrate the people at home by asking, for example, what year the third wife of Henry VIII died.

As far as specific historical years before 1900 that are significant where contestants are expected to know the exact year given historical information, probably the top two on J! are 1492 (simply because every child knows the rhyme) and 1066. Between 1450 and 1520, I can't think of another specific year that they'd have you write down without some other numerical clue (ie "which century did it happen in - it ends in 54").