The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Rivers was also very impenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?
You're a church guy, right? Tigris is mentioned in Genesis. You should be able to narrow it down from there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:16 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Rivers was also very impenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?
You're a church guy, right? Tigris is mentioned in Genesis. You should be able to narrow it down from there.
But EVERYWHERE was created in Genesis!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If you see Venera then guess Venus. The matching "V-E"s should/could help.

The African-American museum has had whole categories from there and always show Washington, D.C. in the graphic about the presenter. For today's clue with "museum complex" - go with the Smithsonian even though you can name hundreds of U.S. museum complexes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pm If you see Venera then guess Venus. The matching "V-E"s should/could help.
It didn't.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pmFor today's clue with "museum complex" - go with the Smithsonian even though you can name hundreds of U.S. museum complexes.
But why them specifically? Nothing in this game gave even the vaguest of hints toward D.C.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pm If you see Venera then guess Venus. The matching "V-E"s should/could help.
It didn't.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pmFor today's clue with "museum complex" - go with the Smithsonian even though you can name hundreds of U.S. museum complexes.
But why them specifically? Nothing in this game gave even the vaguest of hints toward D.C.
Why do you ask questions you don't really want an answer to?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was a top row clue answering for a museum that features American history. I didn’t know for a fact it was part of the Smithsonian but I felt it was a pretty safe guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:48 pm It was a top row clue answering for a museum that features American history. I didn’t know for a fact it was part of the Smithsonian but I felt it was a pretty safe guess.
It was still a guess. I still don't see ANYTHING in the context of the clue that suggests Smithsonian over any of the other millions of museums in the US.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

It didn't.
There are only 8 planets. If you had to guess, which one would "Venera" match up with the most?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:01 am
It didn't.
There are only 8 planets. If you had to guess, which one would "Venera" match up with the most?
But it is still a guess. I don’t know how he won on WOF since it requires a good bit of guessing.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:48 pm It was a top row clue answering for a museum that features American history. I didn’t know for a fact it was part of the Smithsonian but I felt it was a pretty safe guess.
It was still a guess. I still don't see ANYTHING in the context of the clue that suggests Smithsonian over any of the other millions of museums in the US.
The clue referred to it as the National Museum of African American History & Culture.
It also said 'complex'

Anything other than Smithsonian would be some horrendous negbait.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 am But it is still a guess. I don’t know how he won on WOF since it requires a good bit of guessing.
He won on WoF because he’s a helluva player. Jeopardy is a completely different animal. Most good Jeopardy players are also good WoF players, but the reverse is not at all true.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 am The clue referred to it as the National Museum of African American History & Culture.
It also said 'complex'
Because DC is literally the only place to have a national anything complex, right?
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:44 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 am The clue referred to it as the National Museum of African American History & Culture.
It also said 'complex'
Because DC is literally the only place to have a national anything complex, right?
Is this better? National Museum of African American History & Culture

So yes, DC is literally the only place in this country that will have a complex of national museums and it just so happens all those museums are part of one system.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm Is this better? National Museum of African American History & Culture

So yes, DC is literally the only place in this country that will have a complex of national museums and it just so happens all those museums are part of one system.
So literally 100% of anything that is National, American, or African-American is going to be in Washington, DC. Which itself has ninety billion museums.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm Is this better? National Museum of African American History & Culture

So literally 100% of anything that is National, American, or African-American is going to be in Washington, DC. Which itself has ninety billion museums.
Not even remotely close to what I said.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

You're the one over-emphasizing the word "national". Again, this is suggesting that literally everything "national" absolutely positively HAS to be in DC.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 am You're the one over-emphasizing the word "national". Again, this is suggesting that literally everything "national" absolutely positively HAS to be in DC.
Seriously, what other "complex"es of "National Museums" are there in the US?
Sure, there are "National Museums of xxxxx" all over the place, like the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, but how many COMPLEXES of National Museums are there?

I know I'm still relatively new around here, but sometimes I think you do this to be deliberately obtuse.
--
Drowning in the pool
Volante

Post by Volante »

ParrotRob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 am You're the one over-emphasizing the word "national". Again, this is suggesting that literally everything "national" absolutely positively HAS to be in DC.
Sure, there are "National Museums of xxxxx" all over the place, like the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, but how many COMPLEXES of National Museums are there?

I know I'm still relatively new around here, but sometimes I think you do this to be deliberately obtuse.
And many of those National Museums outside DC are still affiliated with the Smithsonian (admittedly, DoD ones, the biggest exception)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ParrotRob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am

Sometimes I think you've vastly undershot the mark with the word "sometimes"!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm "Haiphong" sounds like it could be literally anywhere in Asia. I WAGged China.
Well, not the Middle East or India.

I think the "ph" narrows it to Cambodia and Vietnam, maybe Thailand.
Because that's a common enough linguistic trait to be top-box material, right?