The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 pm I've seen every Bond movie, and I know Blofeld had a cat but cannot name the James Bond movie(s) he is in.
Spoiler
I'll WAG the man with the golden gun
He's in seven of them. Your guess is not one of them. ;)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 pm
davey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm
trainman wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:00 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am You've got the internet. You can stream all of the Best Picture nominees.
This is either illegal (some of this year's nominees are not officially available for streaming) or costs more money than, I would guess, TPH is willing to pay (e.g., $14.99 a month for HBO GO).
Is there a single 2017 or 2018 Best Picture nominee that's not available either to stream on one of the major services (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) or available for purchase/rental for less than the cost of a movie ticket?

It's been many years since a major movie wasn't available to stream anywhere after its theatrical run. But just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't legally stream it.
Google makes it very easy to find out. It looks like The Post isn't out yet, and Phantom Thread must have just come out, because it's $14.99. (It's hard to imagine TPH sitting through Phantom Thread anyway...) And Get Out is in HBO rotation, so I guess that pushes up the price for other venues. All the others are $4.99.
You shouldn't have to watch a movie to be able to answer a Jeopardy level question about it....
In fact, nearly all the time, you don't. (Though I consider movie-watching an intrinsically rewarding way to spend time.) Like every Jeopardy subject, you do have to read about them, though. I always think a good newspaper is the best source of current information.
TPH might enjoy The Shape of Water.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am You've got the internet. You can stream all of the Best Picture nominees.
This is either illegal (some of this year's nominees are not officially available for streaming) or costs more money than, I would guess, TPH is willing to pay (e.g., $14.99 a month for HBO GO).
Is there a single 2017 or 2018 Best Picture nominee that's not available either to stream on one of the major services (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) or available for purchase/rental for less than the cost of a movie ticket?

It's been many years since a major movie wasn't available to stream anywhere after its theatrical run. But just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't legally stream it.
Google makes it very easy to find out. It looks like The Post isn't out yet, and Phantom Thread must have just come out, because it's $14.99. (It's hard to imagine TPH sitting through Phantom Thread anyway...) And Get Out is in HBO rotation, so I guess that pushes up the price for other venues. All the others are $4.99.
And there's also a "meta" website at https://www.justwatch.com/us that does a search of the various streaming services from a single point -- may be more targeted than google (you don't get info sites, just streamers), and much easier than searching streaming sites one-by-one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:57 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 pm

You shouldn't have to watch a movie to be able to answer a Jeopardy level question about it....
In fact, nearly all the time, you don't. (Though I consider movie-watching an intrinsically rewarding way to spend time.) Like every Jeopardy subject, you do have to read about them, though. I always think a good newspaper is the best source of current information.
TPH might enjoy The Shape of Water.
Ken Jennings has something to say on this. I wish i knew what it was, though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:57 pm TPH might enjoy The Shape of Water.
Why do you guys keep pegging me as a fantasy type?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 pm
Well, with your posts in this thread, most of us aren't pegging you as a reality type.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

mikebdoss wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm Is there a single 2017 or 2018 Best Picture nominee that's not available either to stream on one of the major services (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) or available for purchase/rental for less than the cost of a movie ticket?
Yeah, well, we all know TPH isn't going to do anything that takes any money or effort.

(I must admit that when you say "streaming," I don't automatically think of "purchase and/or rent a downloadable file." Back in my day, we had to rent VHSes at Blockbuster.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If we can accept that you have difficulty recognizing faces and not lecture you every time you can't figure out who is in a picture, I think you can extend us the same courtesy and accept that video clues with pictures of people are not impossible for everyone. Facial recognition is certainly a different skill from what Jeopardy normally requires of its contestants, but more people are capable of it than you seem to think.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 pm
Well, with your posts in this thread, most of us aren't pegging you as a reality type.
http://instantrimshot.com/
Now swimming in the J! pool.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 pm http://instantrimshot.com/
Oh that (actually, this: http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sou ... &play=true) is going to come in very handy. Thanks!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:26 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 pm I've seen every Bond movie, and I know Blofeld had a cat but cannot name the James Bond movie(s) he is in.
Spoiler
I keep coming up with six...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 pm
Spoiler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Sta ... ppearances
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 pm
Spoiler
I SAAAAAAAID I keep coming up with six! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 pm
Spoiler
I SAAAAAAAID I keep coming up with six! :lol:
I didn't think my WAG through, thinking it was a Roger Moore antagonist. But I'm surprised how early the Blofeld character was. As an aside - I always thought the criminal organizations like SPECTRE and SMERSH were outlandish constructs that diminished any credibility to the novels. And then Al Quaeda and later DASH/ISIL/ISIS came along with their kidnapping, blackmail, and extortion fundraising activities. Turns out you can make this stuff up...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 am As an aside - I always thought the criminal organizations like ... SMERSH were outlandish constructs ...
SPECTRE was a construct. SMERSH..., well..., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMERSH
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 pm
dhkendall from the top rope
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 pm Lawrence = Kansas was a very obscure connection for the top box IMO.

Got all but Coal in the Postal Abbreviations, and all but the DD in Entrepeneurs.

I thought the Bayer clue was bogus. I'm supposed to know the slogan of one of the 847 brands of pain relievers?

"Westworld" joins the "NHOI in the top box" pile, and I actually did do a search of the forum this time to prove it.

Not even a guess on FJ!
Last time it was middle box, so you did not pay it as much mind.

#7701, aired 2018-02-19 1970s MOVIES $1200: In 1973, 43 years before they did it on HBO, robots roamed this title amusement park

For college cities some U. of [one of the 50 states] are not in the state capital or well known big city. The clue could have changed the U. or the city and you would have had the same reaction. Lawrence for Kansas Jayhawks is in no way obscure and certainly not worthy of an adjective.

I'll give you a freebie and you can look up the others: University of Idaho is in Moscow.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:57 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 pm Lawrence = Kansas was a very obscure connection for the top box IMO.
For college cities some U. of [one of the 50 states] are not in the state capital or well known big city. The clue could have changed the U. or the city and you would have had the same reaction. Lawrence for Kansas Jayhawks is in no way obscure and certainly not worthy of an adjective.

I'll give you a freebie and you can look up the others: University of Idaho is in Moscow.
I thought Lawrence in Kansas was undervalued as well. It's pretty YEKIOYD unless you are a college basketball fan. I know it from being 3 hours away and suffering the whining of KU fans.

The category as a whole is hard to embrace. Most of the conferences are soulless business arrangements and have no identity anymore. I just learned from the show tonight that West Virginia was in the Big Twelve. And guess what, there are only Ten schools in the Big Twelve. The Iowa/Iowa State clue was definite negbait as well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:57 pm

I thought Lawrence in Kansas was undervalued as well. It's pretty YEKIOYD unless you are a college basketball fan. I know it from being 3 hours away and suffering the whining of KU fans.

The category as a whole is hard to embrace. Most of the conferences are soulless business arrangements and have no identity anymore. I just learned from the show tonight that West Virginia was in the Big Twelve. And guess what, there are only Ten schools in the Big Twelve. The Iowa/Iowa State clue was definite negbait as well.
Lawrence and Kansas should be simple. However, it could be Kansas or Kansas State... (see the 800 Iowa negbait for non NCAA followers)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't realize Kansas had any other important cities besides Wichita and Topeka.

Turns out Lawrence has a population of 80,000. That's nearly as big as Flint.