The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm Man, these FJ!s just aren't twigging with me at all. What connection did I miss this time?
Lots of books (especially when given a Colonial America date) = Jefferson.
First time I've ever had to make that match.
And there's a good chance it'll never come to making that particular connection again. You can't really plan or prepare in advance for making specific mental connections. You just have to know a lot of stuff, and have a brain that's good at working out from the clue what particular connection you need to make, even if it's one you've never had to make before. Some peoples' brains are good at that. Other people have brains that are good at other things. We're all different.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm And there's a good chance it'll never come to making that particular connection again. You can't really plan or prepare in advance for making specific mental connections. You just have to know a lot of stuff, and have a brain that's good at working out from the clue what particular connection you need to make, even if it's one you've never had to make before. Some peoples' brains are good at that. Other people have brains that are good at other things. We're all different.
I'm not.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm Man, these FJ!s just aren't twigging with me at all. What connection did I miss this time?
This show was a rerun.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

#8297, aired 2020-12-08 THE FOUNDING FATHERS SPEAK $200: "I cannot live without" these, Thomas Jefferson wrote months after selling more than 6,000 of them to the Library of Congress

#7584, aired 2017-07-27 LET'S ALL GO TO THE LIBRARY $400: Burned by the Brits in 1814, the Library of Congress was rebuilt with the purchase of 6,487 books from this man
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:08 pm
Euphonium wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm And there's a good chance it'll never come to making that particular connection again. You can't really plan or prepare in advance for making specific mental connections. You just have to know a lot of stuff, and have a brain that's good at working out from the clue what particular connection you need to make, even if it's one you've never had to make before. Some peoples' brains are good at that. Other people have brains that are good at other things. We're all different.
I'm not.
Me too.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:50 pm
#8297, aired 2020-12-08 THE FOUNDING FATHERS SPEAK $200: "I cannot live without" these, Thomas Jefferson wrote months after selling more than 6,000 of them to the Library of Congress

#7584, aired 2017-07-27 LET'S ALL GO TO THE LIBRARY $400: Burned by the Brits in 1814, the Library of Congress was rebuilt with the purchase of 6,487 books from this man
The sale to the Library of Congress is more important than just "books." Bookishness was rampant among the Founding Fathers...no 24-hour news channels... :roll:
And we might consider Shadwell to be the hyphen of this clue...
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

More than that - after the burning of the Capitol in the War of 1812, the Library of Congress was largely rebuilt from Thomas Jefferson’s personal library. That’s the connection the writers were after.

Edit: ninja’ed by Volante
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm

What was the TOM for Portugal in Queens for $200?
She went into exile in Brazil, which was a Portuguese colony. They speak Portuguese in Brazil.

Musical + 1968 + astrological = ??? I know "Age of Aquarius" and I know Hair. I couldn't tell you anything at all about Hair.
Pretty much all you need to know.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:13 pm

She went into exile in Brazil, which was a Portuguese colony. They speak Portuguese in Brazil.
So? It's possible to be from literally any country yet die in Brazil.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 pm

It's not about deductive mathematical certainty, it's about inductive reasoning and triggering concrete associations.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of Maria I and didn’t know a Portuguese queen exiled to Brazil. But with a top row clue I felt safe risking an imaginary $200 and clicking my pen and saying “What is Brazil?”.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 pm

The clue said "Iberian" country, so your "literally any country" is reduced from 200-ish to Spain, Portugal, Andorra and maybe the U.K. If you count Gibraltar. Now let's see, what Iberian country might lead one to Brazil? Gee, I don't know, could be anything!!
--
Drowning in the pool
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm The clue said "Iberian" country, so your "literally any country" is reduced from 200-ish to Spain, Portugal, Andorra and maybe the U.K. If you count Gibraltar. Now let's see, what Iberian country might lead one to Brazil? Gee, I don't know, could be anything!!
Because again, it's possible to be from literally anywhere in the world yet die in Brazil. I don't know who the hell this person even is, so it very well COULD be Spain or Andorra or the UK or Gibraltar. They have thrown red herrings in the top box before.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm The clue said "Iberian" country, so your "literally any country" is reduced from 200-ish to Spain, Portugal, Andorra and maybe the U.K. If you count Gibraltar. Now let's see, what Iberian country might lead one to Brazil? Gee, I don't know, could be anything!!
Because again, it's possible to be from literally anywhere in the world yet die in Brazil. I don't know who the hell this person even is, so it very well COULD be Spain or Andorra or the UK or Gibraltar. They have thrown red herrings in the top box before.
No, it's not possible to be from literally anywhere in the world when the clue spots you Iberia. But I guess I can't argue with the rest of your logic - I suppose someone could just as easily have traveled to Brazil from one of three countries that had absolutely nothing to do with
Brazil in Napoleonic times as they could have from the country that literally colonized Brazil. Who knows... Coin flip, I guess.
--
Drowning in the pool
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm NHO Robert Baratheon. That seemed like an opaque TOM in the top box.
If you don't want to learn anything about what was literally the biggest TV phenomenon of the 2010s, fine. But that's your problem, not the writers'.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm NHO Robert Baratheon. That seemed like an opaque TOM in the top box.
If you don't want to learn anything about what was literally the biggest TV phenomenon of the 2010s, fine. But that's your problem, not the writers'.
Never watched the show, still less read the books, and this was an instaget. Osmosis.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:29 pm Never watched the show, still less read the books, and this was an instaget. Osmosis.
Reverse effect for me. I still know "there was something called Game of Thrones" and that's it
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ten Pound Hammer wrote:NHO babaganoush. That was only slightly less obscure than liederkranz.
I'd be willing to put money on baba ghanoush being much more well known than liederkranz, at least in the U.S.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:21 am
Ten Pound Hammer wrote:NHO babaganoush. That was only slightly less obscure than liederkranz.
I'd be willing to put money on baba ghanoush being much more well known than liederkranz, at least in the U.S.
baba ghanouj should fulfill the Hawley-Smoot criteria for rememberance.
For tonight, if you learn nothing else about Little Women, the title characters' names are Meg, Jo, Beth & Amy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2-LETTER LIT $400: The tomboy of Alcott's March sisters, she wants to be a writer

92%+ of J! contestants should be able to do Alcott = Louisa May Alcott

The percentage drops a few points to connect March sisters to Little Women

Recalling the names of the four sisters (someone may not even know how many there are) becomes a lower percentage again.

Doing it all in proper clue timing is a snap for up to 85% of contestants.

Hammer is going to be on the wrong side of such clues one way or another.

For all of the posts in the day's thread: Keep in mind the clue does not give the work. It probably would not have mattered, but it does not help someone fighting to get half the clues or a little more each night.