The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday Dec. 18

Post by lieph82 »

Caboom wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
Golf wrote:
Caboom wrote:Of course, but the problem is, it's pretty hard to read this thread "episode by episode", without seeing spoilers for episodes I haven't seen yet, whereas it's easy to read the daily topics without getting spoiled on following episodes.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you don't want to be spoiled, and the thread title indicates spoilers, then maybe you shouldn't be reading it?

Just a wild thought.
Yeah, not checking this thread until you're caught up on episodes seems like an easy fix.
Yep, valid and easy solutions. Of course then I'll either miss part of the discussions, or get to read them days later than the daily thread. And having single discussions fragmented into multiple threads doesn't exactly make the board more readable.

But these are obviously only tiny problems compared to the need for people to be able to show their intellectual superiority by moving the "stupid questions" to a side thread.
This thread is literally only for TPH's questions about how he was possibly expected to know something.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by nightreign »

TPH - you commented on not getting U2. It seemsto me that they always win Best Rock Album, and they have so many albums that they have been eligible for so many more Grammys than anyone else just by virtue of being around for so long. It was a guess for me, but I didn't know who else it could possibly be.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nightreign wrote:TPH - you commented on not getting U2. It seemsto me that they always win Best Rock Album, and they have so many albums that they have been eligible for so many more Grammys than anyone else just by virtue of being around for so long. It was a guess for me, but I didn't know who else it could possibly be.
Lots and lots of bands have been around for really really long times. And I don't remember the clue implying that it was a band presently active.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday Dec 30

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
nightreign wrote:TPH - you commented on not getting U2. It seemsto me that they always win Best Rock Album, and they have so many albums that they have been eligible for so many more Grammys than anyone else just by virtue of being around for so long. It was a guess for me, but I didn't know who else it could possibly be.
Lots and lots of bands have been around for really really long times. And I don't remember the clue implying that it was a band presently active.
The clue mentioned "this many Grammys, and counting".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday Dec 30

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
The clue mentioned "this many Grammys, and counting".
I was about to take TPH's side in this (especially since I WAGged the Beatles and let out a Hammer-esque "How do you get U2 from that?" on reveal, but I'd say that's a decent smoking gun. FWIW, you win.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

"And counting" told me it was an active group, but I did not get U2. I'm not a huge music fan and could not have told you how many members were in the band.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:"And counting" told me it was an active group, but I did not get U2. I'm not a huge music fan and could not have told you how many members were in the band.
The number alone was reason enough for me to think it was an active group (the Grammies have been around a while, sure, but these things get award bloat after a while), but couldn't dig it out in time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Hi TPH! In the 1/1 game thread, I noticed that you wrote off 2 categories entirely based on their names. Don't do this! Even if the category is "Canadian Provincial Flags." As you saw from the game, 0 of the questions asked you to name, say, what's on the flag of Manitoba. Every clue had TOM. Prairie crop = wheat. Canadian province on the Pacific = British Columbia. This stuff is gettable, but by writing it off before you start you're engaging in self-defeating behavior.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:Hi TPH! In the 1/1 game thread, I noticed that you wrote off 2 categories entirely based on their names. Don't do this! Even if the category is "Canadian Provincial Flags." As you saw from the game, 0 of the questions asked you to name, say, what's on the flag of Manitoba. Every clue had TOM. Prairie crop = wheat. Canadian province on the Pacific = British Columbia. This stuff is gettable, but by writing it off before you start you're engaging in self-defeating behavior.
And how was I supposed to know it wasn't corn? If there were TOMs in the other clues, they didn't register anyway.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:Hi TPH! In the 1/1 game thread, I noticed that you wrote off 2 categories entirely based on their names. Don't do this! Even if the category is "Canadian Provincial Flags." As you saw from the game, 0 of the questions asked you to name, say, what's on the flag of Manitoba. Every clue had TOM. Prairie crop = wheat. Canadian province on the Pacific = British Columbia. This stuff is gettable, but by writing it off before you start you're engaging in self-defeating behavior.
And how was I supposed to know it wasn't corn? If there were TOMs in the other clues, they didn't register anyway.
Because the game ceases to be fun if they have to totally spoon feed you all the answers. It's better if you have to use the matter between your ears at least somewhat. If you know enough about Canada, you know there's lots of wheat in their prairie provinces.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BobF wrote:If you know enough anything about Canada, you know there's lots of wheat in their prairie provinces.
Fixed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Even if you had said corn, it would have been a totally defensible wrong answer. The nice thing about playing along at home is that there's no real money at stake. Take a chance, and if you're wrong you'll have learned something new. Better than giving up before you start.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Then it's time to get out "The Condensed History of the Canadian Provinces" and have a nice easy read!

This link is a Reader's Digest condensed compact version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_ ... _of_Canada

Get Smart... Maxwell Smart! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:Even if you had said corn, it would have been a totally defensible wrong answer. The nice thing about playing along at home is that there's no real money at stake. Take a chance, and if you're wrong you'll have learned something new. Better than giving up before you start.
Unless you end up with a -$3,600 coryat, as I did on Tuesday. I hate, hate, HATE guessing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J! has four places for viewers to always take a guess (some home players will guess on everything) with the Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy! You should always try to say something when those come up. 85% of the guesses may be wrong; that's okay. All we want to see is a guess in the FJ! round for a city, a country, a British king or a president when relevant. We'll save movies, TV shows or books for 2016.

You know WOF well. Let's say you make it to the bonus round:

_ R E _ T

_ _ _ T E

S _ _ R _

Category: Thing

RSTLNE - you add WHAM

_ R E A T

WH _ T E

S H A R _

Hammer: I not going to guess! It could be literally anything... Great White Shard, Great White Shark, Great White Sharp...and time's up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The thing is, I'm far more confident in my Wheel skills because I'm wrong a great deal less. Like maybe 1% tops. Even if it's a phrase I haven't heard of, I can usually puzzle it out by going by the letters that are there. It's a comfortable environment for me to guess in when I'm not sure, because I've had very few misses.

With J!, I have so many ways to distract me from the right answer: am I mis-remembering this fact? Did I misinterpret the clue? Am I randomly drawing a blank on something I should know cold? Did I just throw out something so horribly wrong that my own name has a higher chance of being correct? The answer to those has been "yes" too many times for me to count. I hate guessing on J! clues because I've been wrong so many zillions of times.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Then don't guess (and only answer what you know - there's no real money on the line anyways), don't tell us about it, or don't watch the show. Simple.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

As someone who's bad at Jeopardy! (adult J! anyway), when I watch at home I don't keep Coryat. I WAG a bunch of stuff. It's right more often than you would think. Even when it's wrong, nobody ever has to know what I actually said (except maybe my family members, if they're watching, but most of the time it's not like they got it either). If you're not trying to get on the show, IMO you have no need to keep Coryat. I keep track of Lach Trash to feel good about myself, but even when I was trying to get on, I only kept Coryat from the Kids Week games I played from the Archive. I knew the adult show wasn't really at my level, so keeping track of how much money I made from it didn't really make sense. I just tried to learn something new by watching.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

If the reason you're not guessing is that it's hurting your Coryat, maybe take a break from keeping Coryats. I can promise you that by deciding beforehand that you won't know something, you won't learn the answer.

What's your ultimate goal? To get on the show? To learn new stuff? To get better at answering J-type trivia questions? To impress a bunch of message board geeks?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This thread should be stickied.