The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm Maybe you just don't go as far down the wikihole as the rest of us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies -> William Golding -> CBE (redirects to Order of the British Empire) -> Civil service -> "The civil service is independent of government and composed mainly of career bureaucrats hired on professional merit rather than appointed or elected, whose institutional tenure typically survives transitions of political leadership." -> In English, please?

I've drowned because I hit something I didn't understand. And still learned nothing about Lord of the Flies.
Because that's like, 5, 10 bricks there. Stick with one page, bookmark links that look interesting and tell yourself, "There's an answer for this too, but I don't need to know it for now."
But that's not going down the wikihole if I just stay on one page is it? If I don't understand terms like "Allegory" or "triumvirate" or "aerial battle" or "conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power", then that throws a monkey wrench into "trying to figure out what Lord of the Flies is even about" doesn't it?
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 pmBut that's not going down the wikihole if I just stay on one page is it? If I don't understand terms like "Allegory" or "triumvirate" or "aerial battle" or "conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power", then that throws a monkey wrench into "trying to figure out what Lord of the Flies is even about" doesn't it?
If you're trying to figure out a book, abandon widipedia and head over to sparknotes.

From what I can tell, here's what a J! player needs to know about LotF:

A bunch of pre-teen to teenage British boys are dumped on a remote tropical island and attempt to govern themselves. Set in WWII era.
Add in some of the character names and a few words about what they do (Ralph - the leader), and your done.

You could try to analyze it or any other book for it's social commentary, or it's importance to culture, or any of dozens of other things. But those are generally irrelevant for J! purposes.

PS - Allegory is a story where the characters and plot resemble real situations, and is the author commenting on those situations.
Triumvirate - three ("tri" should give that part away) ruling together.
Aerial battle - "Aerial" - in the air. Battle - fighting
"conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power" - A bunch of blah, blah, blah that doesn't matter for J!, but is somehow vitally important for your freshman literature professor to pound into his students' heads. :lol:
--Peter
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Wikipedia is challenging because Wikipedia editors value showing off what they know more than they value being clear and concise. I can see how Wikipedia would be frustrating for you as someone who appears to have difficulty filtering out useless crap as they read.
Civil Service - I would disagree with the characterization of the civil service as independent of government. They are part of the government. But they serve independent of which political party is in power or which individuals are elected. They are not appointed or elected, they are hired just like any other employee. Typically, the top level(s) of government departments are politicians (appointed or elected), while the lower levels are filled by civil servants (aka bureaucrats).
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 pmBut that's not going down the wikihole if I just stay on one page is it? If I don't understand terms like "Allegory" or "triumvirate" or "aerial battle" or "conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power", then that throws a monkey wrench into "trying to figure out what Lord of the Flies is even about" doesn't it?
If you're trying to figure out a book, abandon widipedia and head over to sparknotes.

From what I can tell, here's what a J! player needs to know about LotF:

A bunch of pre-teen to teenage British boys are dumped on a remote tropical island and attempt to govern themselves. Set in WWII era.
Add in some of the character names and a few words about what they do (Ralph - the leader), and your done. ...
They aren't dumped, there's a plane crash. And there's no reason to think it's set during WW2. More likely a nuclear war.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Have you ever tried the Simple English Wikipedia? It's much less comprehensive than the regular one, but it might be more you speed. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am Have you ever tried the Simple English Wikipedia? It's much less comprehensive than the regular one, but it might be more you speed. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
I considered recommending this, but then I clicked through to the Simple English version of Lord of the Flies. It's just as difficult to read as the regular English version, only with smaller words.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what other wikihole can I go down without drowning?
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

jeffwolfe wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am Have you ever tried the Simple English Wikipedia? It's much less comprehensive than the regular one, but it might be more you speed. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
I considered recommending this, but then I clicked through to the Simple English version of Lord of the Flies. It's just as difficult to read as the regular English version, only with smaller words.
That's the other problem the lesser Wikipedias have - there aren't as many eyes/authors, so they're not always as clear/well-written as the main Wikipedia pages. But TPH had issues with some of the more complex terms, so I thought I'd recommend this.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pmThat's the other problem the lesser Wikipedias have - there aren't as many eyes/authors, so they're not always as clear/well-written as the main Wikipedia pages. But TPH had issues with some of the more complex terms, so I thought I'd recommend this.
Believe me, I know the other Wikipedias exist because I've had to deal with a particularly crazed individual whom I'm concerned is wanting to cause actual harm to Alan Jackson. That's a story I'll gladly share to interested parties.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm ...

I could tell you literally nothing about Roman history. I couldn't name any of the battles. What the hell could I even have put down as a guess? I can say with absolute certainty that I have NHO the correct response.
There is not a person on this board who would have expected you to solve the Tuesday FJ! clue. Actium has appeared in a few clues over the past years, but I completely understand that would not help today. That's fine to have no response in today's case. If for once you really wanted to have something to write then you go for the humor.

What is Battle Creek?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm There is not a person on this board who would have expected you to solve the Tuesday FJ! clue. Actium has appeared in a few clues over the past years, but I completely understand that would not help today. That's fine to have no response in today's case.
Sure doesn't help my losing streak, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm There is not a person on this board who would have expected you to solve the Tuesday FJ! clue. Actium has appeared in a few clues over the past years, but I completely understand that would not help today. That's fine to have no response in today's case.
Sure doesn't help my losing streak, though.
Right, not one bit today. Don't dwell another minute on it as those were not good pieces for you to assemble. Triscuit and 2+1=3 are two that should have already stopped the streak. You'll get one before Easter. If not then I'll buy an extra week from my poll choice by saying I meant Orthodox Easter.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm Right, not one bit today. Don't dwell another minute on it as those were not good pieces for you to assemble. Triscuit and 2+1=3 are two that should have already stopped the streak.
Triscuit is probably the worst miss for me. I eat those all the damn time, but I just couldn't think of them at all.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Believe me, I know the other Wikipedias exist because I've had to deal with a particularly crazed individual whom I'm concerned is wanting to cause actual harm to Alan Jackson. That's a story I'll gladly share to interested parties.
Yeah I'm gonna need more information on this.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nklotz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Yeah I'm gonna need more information on this.
Okay. So this one account had been vandalizing a bunch of song articles, using dubious sources (i.e. personal blogs) to call nearly every song by a male country artist in the past 5 years bro-country regardless of content. His edits got reverted a bunch of times, but he was ultimately blocked for sockpuppetry.

Afterwards, he came back and started vandalizing nearly every article about Alan Jackson, making dubious claims of him covering songs by Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, etc. in concert. His "source" was a user-edited setlist database that he had clearly vandalized. Many of his edits started calling Alan "the Nickelback of Country", a "sellout", or using a hashtag of #AlanJacksonKilledCountry. In short, someone whose last album sounded like this is obviously not "killing country" or abruptly changing to contemporary rap covers. I also could tell that the setlist he was using as a "source" was clearly vandalized by him, despite his denial.

I confronted him about this on Twitter, and he insisted that he was right, that he didn't vandalize the setlists, that they were based on "pre-existing information", and that he was dead certain that Alan Jackson was a hack sellout. He also said that songs like "Where Were You" were promoting negative stereotypes about the genre, and insisted that Polow da Don (a noted rap producer) had produced all of Alan's albums since 2008. In addition to this, his Twitter had many negative comments about Alan, including memes he had made that compared Alan to Nickelback, called him a sellout, insulted his lyrics, etc. He's also been adding to his stories, claiming more and more R&B and rap songs that Alan supposedly covered instead of just two or three.

He kept creating new sockpuppet accounts on Wikipedia to push all of this misinformation. Same process every time: new account spams all the articles with the misinformation, gets reverted and blocked, creates new account in 24 hours. I alerted some Wikipedia admins and they were able to put in edit filters. He hasn't been able to touch Wikipedia in a while now.

I sent a couple e-mails to his fanclub with no response. I also found his fanclub's official Facebook page and left a post there alerting them, but despite being an official page (blue checkmark and everything), it was largely composed of illiterate soccer moms who couldn't even spell Alan Jackson's name right, couldn't correctly identify songs sung by him (seriously, why join a fanclub if you don't know what the artist even sings?), and probably didn't even know that the Internet existed outside Facebook. I also alerted several admins on the setlist database about the vandalism, and over a week later still haven't heard back.

I apparently managed to get his Twitter account blocked too, because he created a new one soon afterward, with the exact same comments. Apparently undeterred by his inability to get to Wikipedia anymore, he began spreading his misinformation on the Spanish, French, and Simple English Wikipedias. I was able to inform all of these projects to his vandalism (admittedly, I had to use Google Translate on the French Wikipedia), and the admins on those projects all seem reasonably aware.

The dude also created a fake Facebook profile just to sneak his "Alan Jackson killed country" nonsense onto my Facebook page. I deleted the post, and the account was deactivated before I could report it. I have no idea how he found my last name, since my Twitter only uses my first name, and my Wikipedia account only uses "TenPoundHammer".

Thankfully I have connections. I would love to find out who this guy actually is, and put a stop to his actions once and for all, because his persistence has me thinking he's far more than just your garden-variety Wikipedia vandal.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 pm ... I have no idea how he found my last name, since my Twitter only uses my first name, and my Wikipedia account only uses "TenPoundHammer".
The Wheel of Fortune champion isn't sure how someone could have found his name?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 pm ... I have no idea how he found my last name, since my Twitter only uses my first name, and my Wikipedia account only uses "TenPoundHammer".
I'm gonna wager a lot of this happened before TenPoundHammer's appearance on Wheel.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm
I'm gonna wager a lot of this happened before TenPoundHammer's appearance on Wheel.
That's the thing. I didn't mention my Wheel appearance anywhere on Wikipedia, and I think I only passingly mentioned it on Twitter.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm
That's the thing. I didn't mention my Wheel appearance anywhere on Wikipedia, and I think I only passingly mentioned it on Twitter.
I know I've seen "Bobby" associated with your handle on this board many times before Wheel. A Google search of "bobby tenpoundhammer" quickly does the trick.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm
I know I've seen "Bobby" associated with your handle on this board many times before Wheel. A Google search of "bobby tenpoundhammer" quickly does the trick.
Gonna say. Google doesn't search -only- Wikipedia and Twitter. ;)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)