The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 pm What was the TOM for London in All Fairs for $200?
Crystal Palace

Yes, I know ... "generic as hell", "could be anywhere", etc...

It isn't and it's not.
I got it from the Great Exhibition. But Eiffel Tower probably should have been at the top.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 pm
I thought the Jetsons/Futurama clue in particular was ENORMOUS negbait.
Would a World's Fair exhibit about the future be called "The Jetsons"?
What was the TOM for London in All Fairs for $200?
Crystal Palace and Great Exhibition
I keep forgetting that Cuba is a country.
Not sure how to help you there.
I have literally never heard pardo or moreno used to mean "brown" in Spanish.
You don't have to have. What color is found in the name of a sugar and the name of a bear?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pmWould a World's Fair exhibit about the future be called "The Jetsons"?
I don't see why not.
mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pmCrystal Palace and Great Exhibition
The last hit for "Crystal Palace" was in 2015, and it was a $2,000 box.
mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pm You don't have to have. What color is found in the name of a sugar and the name of a bear?
I know, but not recognizing pardo or moreno made me overthink it. I figured that since I didn't recognize either word, maybe it meant "grizzly". But "grizzly" isn't a type of sugar, so maybe "maple"? No, that doesn't fit either and oh crap time's up. Sometimes just one little thing will throw you off the trail like that, and it happens way too often.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pm
You don't have to have. What color is found in the name of a sugar and the name of a bear?
To be fair, white would have worked here as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm shocked none of this helped today: viewtopic.php?p=319595#p319595 :lol:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This topic is amusing yet mostly hopeless.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 pm I'm shocked
No, you aren't. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

As long as the thread is operating in fantasy land today, I'll add...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:08 pm No guess on FJ!
How could you have no guess? There is no penalty for guessing in FJ and the clue told you to name a country. Any country would be a better guess than "no guess".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:39 pm How could you have no guess? There is no penalty for guessing in FJ and the clue told you to name a country. Any country would be a better guess than "no guess".
Because I can't even properly guess which of the two Dakotas has Mount Rushmore, which of the four gas giants is the biggest planet, or any other number of guesses from a far smaller list. Literally every single time the show has one of those "which one of the three in this clue was X?" categories, I manage to get every single one of them wrong.

So with that in mind, how would I EVER get a correct guess on a dataset numbering in the hundreds?

And how the hell was this obscure-ass clue a triple get?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm
I'm not going to tell you and I hope no one else does. Figure it out for yourself. Try Mark's link above for your first hint.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm So with that in mind, how would I EVER get a correct guess on a dataset numbering in the hundreds?
Please note: Jeff is not telling you to try and figure out the correct country; he's simply telling you to choose ANY country on the planet and say it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm So with that in mind, how would I EVER get a correct guess on a dataset numbering in the hundreds?
Please note: Jeff is not telling you to try and figure out the correct country; he's simply telling you to choose ANY country on the planet and say it.
Why? Literally every. single. time. I guess, it's wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 pm
Why? Literally every. single. time. I guess, it's wrong.
Not every time. And I would guess there are more FANTASTIC BEASTS than nations of the world.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm
I agree that it shouldn't have been a $200 clue, but it definitely wasn't a $1,000 clue, either. The Crystal Palace was very famous and it's also the name of a London-based Premier League team (Crystal Palace F.C.), so there were several ways into this one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:54 pm
I'm not going to tell you and I hope no one else does. Figure it out for yourself. Try Mark's link above for your first hint.
Ken was kind enough to explain the correct country during the reveal portion of FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 am
I agree that it shouldn't have been a $200 clue, but it definitely wasn't a $1,000 clue, either. The Crystal Palace was very famous and it's also the name of a London-based Premier League team (Crystal Palace F.C.), so there were several ways into this one.
Narrow it down to “A major world city hosting an international event in 1851”.

There aren’t a lot of possibilities, plus we just had Paris the clue before, so that’s out. You could assume the first World’s Fair was going to be in a Tier One European city. London is certainly a reasonable guess.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:40 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:54 pm
Ken was kind enough to explain the correct country during the reveal portion of FJ.
Now you expect him to listen to the show?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 am
And it figured very prominently in the pre-COVID season finale of "Victoria," which has been a hugely popular series on PBS Masterpiece. Wouldn't surprise me if a non-trivial percentage of correct answers came from that.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 am Narrow it down to “A major world city hosting an international event in 1851”.

There aren’t a lot of possibilities, plus we just had Paris the clue before, so that’s out. You could assume the first World’s Fair was going to be in a Tier One European city. London is certainly a reasonable guess.
How do you know that there "aren't a lot of possibilities"? That's still a MASSIVE shot in the dark to just blindly guess London because it's a big European city. It very well could have been in Dublin, Madrid, Lisbon, Berlin, Rome, Geneva, Copenhagen, Glasgow, Cardiff, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Prague, Brussels, and I could go on and on.

Just as big a shot in the dark as guessing Apple entirely off "companies based in California that existed in 1977".
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 am Narrow it down to “A major world city hosting an international event in 1851”.

How do you know that there "aren't a lot of possibilities"? That's still a MASSIVE shot in the dark to just blindly guess London because it's a big European city. It very well could have been in Dublin, Madrid, Lisbon, Berlin, Rome, Geneva, Copenhagen, Glasgow, Cardiff, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Prague, Brussels, and I could go on and on.

Just as big a shot in the dark as guessing Apple entirely off "companies based in California that existed in 1977".

1. No one says you HAVE to "blindly guess" London. YOU are the one suggesting "blindly guessing" is involved. The canonical way to answer the question would be to be aware that the first World's Fair was in London in 1851. This is not a piece of knowledge that is secretly guarded by dragons, it is readily available for anyone who wishes to know it.

2. In fact, that's it. There's no second point. It's literally a matter of public record that the first modern fair was in London, so it is possible to definitely and categorically know the answer without "blindly guessing". It's not the clue writer's fault that you don't know this.