The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm Boston just doesn't "feel" like a capital to me.
Huh?
State capitals tend to not be in the most prominent city in the state.
I bet Atlanta, Hartford, Providence, Charleston, Indianapolis, Little Rock, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Honolulu would have something to say about that.
Tend not != Are not
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm Boston just doesn't "feel" like a capital to me.
Huh?
I bet Atlanta, Hartford, Providence, Charleston, Indianapolis, Little Rock, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Honolulu would have something to say about that.
11 out of 50 (including Boston). What would they have to say?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Hammer has a point...All the presidents for decades have spent a lot of time on Air Force One... :roll:
Jonathan Alter's new biography of Carter emphasizes, I've heard, that Carter grew up in Archery, GA, not Plains... :geek:
earendel

Post by earendel »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:33 pm
Huh?
Add Oklahoma City to the list as well.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante

Post by Volante »

earendel wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:34 am

Huh?
Tend not != are not

Pointing out 25% of capitals are the most prominent city isn't exactly a counterargument.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 am

Tend not != are not

Pointing out 25% of capitals are the most prominent city isn't exactly a counterargument.
Yes, and some of those (OK, CT, WV) are arguable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can't say I've heard of "cross examining" before. Odd when the top box is not only my sole miss, but also my sole NHOI.
Have you never watched a courtroom based TV show?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 pm
Can't say I've heard of "cross examining" before. Odd when the top box is not only my sole miss, but also my sole NHOI.
I've watched a few here and there, but I don't think I've ever heard them specifically refer to that particular thing by name.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 pm
I've watched a few here and there, but I don't think I've ever heard them specifically refer to that particular thing by name.
To be fair, most courtroom shows I watch just call it "cross" (which would likely be acceptable as well).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:36 am
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 am

Tend not != are not

Yes, and some of those (OK, CT, WV) are arguable.
You could also add Columbus and Nashville to the arguable list, but I agree that there are still a majority that are clearly not the most prominent city in the state.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Yellowstone in Cornerstones for $400?
Theodore Roosevelt + National Park = Yellowstone

Usually.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Yellowstone in Cornerstones for $400?

Usually.
I'll admit it's a bit of a deep cut, but the arch also has the inscription "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people" which is a quote from the legislation that designated Yellowstone as the first National Park. Really I think you just had to recognize that arch as being in Yellowstone.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 am

Usually.
I'll admit it's a bit of a deep cut, but the arch also has the inscription "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people" which is a quote from the legislation that designated Yellowstone as the first National Park. Really I think you just had to recognize that arch as being in Yellowstone.
That early it comes down to Yellowstone vs Yosemite...and Yosemite is all forest and mountains (and no north entrance if you really want to play inside baseball).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 am

Usually.
That early it comes down to Yellowstone vs Yosemite...and Yosemite is all forest and mountains (and no north entrance if you really want to play inside baseball).
I agree. And T. Roosevelt also points to a decision between those two, so you really need to make a judgment call on whether it looks more like Yosemite or Yellowstone.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm Pritchett's Closets & Blinds = Modern Family seemed like an awfully deep cut for the top box.
Emmy winning comedy series five years in a row, and nominated the next three years.
Golden Globe best comedy nominee five years in a row and won in the middle of that stretch.

Choose to overlook one of the biggest comedies of the 2010s, fine, but that doesn't make it the writers' fault if you don't get it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm Pritchett's Closets & Blinds = Modern Family seemed like an awfully deep cut for the top box.
Emmy winning comedy series five years in a row, and nominated the next three years.
Golden Globe best comedy nominee five years in a row and won in the middle of that stretch.

Choose to overlook one of the biggest comedies of the 2010s, fine, but that doesn't make it the writers' fault if you don't get it.
To be fair, the contestants didn't get it either.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

The question in today's game about The Revenant couldn't be "literally any animal."

The movie came out relatively recently. It won several awards; it's not obscure. Leo fighting a bear was a very notable thing about it. There were jokes about it. It was discussed extensively on TV and in print. It was featured in the trailer and in ads for the movie. I haven't seen the movie but I know that Leo fights a bear because I pay attention to stuff, which is generally how people can get questions about movies they haven't seen, books they haven't read, and so on. This is the secret sauce to being good at Jeopardy.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

As TPH points out, it was a TS. Central Perk, one row down wasn't, and we'd all be flabbergasted if it had been. Mrs P and I watched several seasons of Modern Family and don't recall Pritchett's Closets & Blinds at all. Was it ever a setting in Modern Family? If it was, it wasn't a regular setting. You basically have to go off the last name, which is fine.

Central Perk on the other hand is practically a seventh character in Friends. Other than a bottle episode or two, I can't think of an episode that didn't have at least one scene there. (If there were such an episode, it'd be called "The One Where No One Goes to Central Perk". And even that episode would probably end with a shot of Gunther remarking on how quiet it's been lately and maybe kissing the picture of Rachel you know he keeps behind the counter.)

TPH is right on this one Central Perk should've been the top row clue. Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce should've been the next one down since it's a regular setting AND guessable by last name. THEN Pritchett's. Then Ozark, then Appalachicola Bob's or whatever the TS in the bottom row was.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm The question in today's game about The Revenant couldn't be "literally any animal."
Agreed. Even if you know nothing about the film, it's unlikely that Leo has a bad encounter with a hedgehog or an axlotl. As much fun as it is to imagine those scenes.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:58 pm

As TPH points out, it was a TS. Central Perk, one row down wasn't, and we'd all be flabbergasted if it had been. Mrs P and I watched several seasons of Modern Family and don't recall Pritchett's Closets & Blinds at all. Was it ever a setting in Modern Family? If it was, it wasn't a regular setting. You basically have to go off the last name, which is fine.
FWIW, for me, the clue was just "Pritchett blah blah blah". I've also never seen a single episode of the show and have no idea how I made the link between 'Pritchett' and 'Modern Family'. Probably Sporcle quiz repetition...