The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

polaris
Contributor

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by polaris »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:54 pm Explicitly saying there is a "long" version of the weapon means the more common version is "short"
Can't say I've heard of a short bow either.

To me, it just seemed like a descriptor.
Okay. Let's assume this comment is in good faith, you aren't the most long-running troll in the Internet's history, and you never heard of a short bow.

Fair enough. I suppose it's possible someone hasn't. Okay.

Why. Are. You. Telling. Us. This.?

What makes you think "things Bobby Peacock doesn't know of" is of interest to ANYONE?

How is anyone's life improved, by you telling them you don't know things? More to the purpose of this forum, how is anyone's trivia knowledge or Jeopardy! skill improved?

What are you trying to accomplish? You have created a cathedral of ignorance, you have spent years cultivating the image of an uniformed ignoramus, everyone accepts it, and ... what? No one here is better off for your ignorance. You, yourself, are not better off for endlessly, repeatedly, in mind-numbing, year-churning, monotonously reciting the same screeches about how you don't know things. What IN HEAVEN'S NAME HAVE YOU GAINED FROM SPENDING YEARS ON END LISTING THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'll tell you what you haven't gained: Knowledge. This is, frankly, astonishing; wiser and more patient minds than mine have spend AN ETERNITY trying to teach you things, and it simply isn't working. I don't know why; you don't know why; no one knows why. And you know what? Fine. Okay. You obviously are getting NO VALUE out of watching this program and, moreover, you are ACTIVELY RUINING other people's enjoyment of it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

In 1796 John Adams was elected as the nation's second president, thanks to the support of the Anal Compulsive Party, whose members believed that henceforth presidents should be elected in alphabetical order so that it would be easier to remember them all during history tests. It was during Adams's administration that the famous "XYZ Affair" took place. What happened was, Adams sent a diplomatic mission over to France to protest the fact that the French were seizing American ships and redecorating them by force. When the Americans got to France, the French foreign minister told them to meet with three secret agents, known only as "X," "Y," and "Z."

"If you can guess their real names and occupations," the French foreign minister said, "you'll receive diplomatic recognition and the Brunswick pool table!"

Unfortunately the Americans could correctly identify only one agent[1] and never reached the bonus round, but they did receive some lovely consolation prizes.

[1]Kitty Carlisle.
-- From that book about your beloved Hawley-Smoot Tariff
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

polaris wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pmWhat are you trying to accomplish?
I legit am trying to learn. Deep down, I do want to learn. Which is why I keep asking.

I just can't ever seem to get out of my own way no matter how hard I try. Literally every method on the planet ends in abject failure and frustration for me and those around me. Sometimes stuff sticks anyway -- how the hell did I get Pagliacci and Tristan & Isolde last night? -- but 99.9% of the time it's just static.

When there's some basic fact that literally everyone on this board seems to know except for me, I take it HARD. I feel like literally everyone who knows something that I don't is lording it over me and teasing me for being such a dumbass. And that's probably part of what dissuades me from taking in and/or retaining any new information, and instead drives me to lash out at how all of you fancy-schmancy galaxy brains can know every goddamn thing on the planet.

Obviously one thing I need to do is stop tracking my Coryats again, and maybe even whether or not I get FJ! right (since I only seem to get it right like once a month anyway).

I'm still gonna feel inferior no matter what, but maybe this'll help me feel LESS inferior. I dunno.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 pm
polaris wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pmWhat are you trying to accomplish?
I legit am trying to learn. Deep down, I do want to learn. Which is why I keep asking.
Aight, I'll accept you are saying this in good faith, for the sake of argument.

It's entirely obvious that your attempts to learn have abjectly failed.

Most people would have learned a lot after a decade spent discussing learning with the bright minds who have dropped in here over the years, some of whom have cleared over $100,000.

Obviously you are wired differently, and the jboard is not the place for you to learn.

Try reading kids books or something; it worked for Holzhauer.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 pmI just can't ever seem to get out of my own way no matter how hard I try. Literally every method on the planet ends in abject failure and frustration for me and those around me. Sometimes stuff sticks anyway -- how the hell did I get Pagliacci and Tristan & Isolde last night? -- but 99.9% of the time it's just static.
No argument there.

And there's certainly something to be said for trying again, and not giving up after one failure.

But it's been a decade now. You can hang up your hat and consider it a job you put an honest effort into. But it's entirely obvious it's not working; it is indeed only a source of frustration.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 pmWhen there's some basic fact that literally everyone on this board seems to know except for me, I take it HARD. I feel like literally everyone who knows something that I don't is lording it over me and teasing me for being such a dumbass.
Well, your wheedling, complaining manner doesn't exactly endear you to people, but I don't think anyone is lording anything over anyone.

Moreover, no one knows everything, no one here claims to know everything. I certainly don't know everything.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 pmObviously one thing I need to do is stop tracking my Coryats again, and maybe even whether or not I get FJ! right (since I only seem to get it right like once a month anyway).

I'm still gonna feel inferior no matter what, but maybe this'll help me feel LESS inferior. I dunno.
I mean, the real solution would be to stop watching this television show, and, even more importantly, stop spending so much time thinking about it.

It's a tv show. They are meant to entertain, this one in particular may teach you some things, but, above all, watching Jeopardy is a recreational activity. If you aren't getting any enjoyment or knowledge out of it, there's really no reason to watch it.

And, more importantly, this cannot be reiterated enough, even if you do watch it, there is no reason to list all your failings every night, to endlessly rehash things you don't know, and to be thinking about it for hours per day when you aren't watching it. Like, that's probably legitimately unhealthy for you. I know I can be abrasive and mean-spirited, but I am saying this in good faith: It's time to quit the jboard, it's not good for your mental health.

Let me pause to offer an analogy. I have a grandfather who was a big baseball fan, who to this day watches pretty much every game his MLB team plays. The man has probably watched this team play close over 10,000 games at this point. This thought is horrifying to me; I like going to a game in person as much as anyone, but the thought of watching baseball on TV is excruciating. Growing up, his children would watch with him. Whatever. I have one uncle on this side of the family who, like me, does not particularly care for baseball. But even when he moved out, he still watched this team fairly religiously, until he shook himself and said, "What am I doing?" But he had gotten so accustomed that "watching this team is just what I do" that he didn't think twice about sitting down to watch baseball regularly, until he realized he was gaining nothing, and stopped. Now, this did not go on long, and ended long before I was even born, but I recall this story because it is so analogous to your situation: you seem so locked in to watching Jeopardy (probably because it is right after Wheel and the two are joined at the hip in some ways), that you aren't stopping to think, "Wait a minute. Why I am watching this?"

Like, you seem to be some kind of Wheel savant; go post on their forums, and maybe do crosswords or something, or even make your own crosswords. That's something you are not an abject failure at, and, more importantly, you seem to genuinely enjoy it. That will be better for your mental health (which in turn is good for your physical health!) than endlessly rehashing the fact you can't remember Jupiter is the biggest planet.

Or, hell, go to a bar with some friends. You're in the midwest iirc, so you should be able to get out to some extent even now. Stop thinking about intellectual pursuits altogether for a while, have a few beers, and just take a break. Your body and mind will thank you.

You genuinely want to learn, deep down? Good for you, I can't criticize that. But I can criticize the fact that you are doing it wrong.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If a particular poster is bothersome, you can add them to your foe list and you will no longer see their posts.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 am If a particular poster is bothersome, you can add them to your foe list and you will no longer see their posts.
And the other alternative is: just don’t read this thread.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Leander wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:58 am
Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 am If a particular poster is bothersome, you can add them to your foe list and you will no longer see their posts.
And the other alternative is: just don’t read this thread.
And there’s another alternative as well, don’t post.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The fact that it is 2021 and we still have people proposing arguments on this thread to the subject of this thread is mind-boggling to me. It's as if time and history do not exist.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I mean, we've clearly exhausted what amateur suggestions we can offer...multiple times over...it might legit take professional advice at this point.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:51 pm The fact that it is 2021 and we still have people proposing arguments on this thread to the subject of this thread is mind-boggling to me. It's as if time and history do not exist.
This thread began on November 20, 2014 and nothing has changed. We are having the same discussions over and over. Reminds me of the definition of insanity.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

You know what, let's just lock this thread. If I'm not keeping my own score anymore, then there's less for me to get frustrated about, and less to ask "but how did you even know this about", and less for LITERALLY EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM -- including the person whose name is in the thread -- to get stressed about.

Actually better yet, delete it if at all possible.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:44 pm You know what, let's just lock this thread. If I'm not keeping my own score anymore, then there's less for me to get frustrated about, and less to ask "but how did you even know this about", and less for LITERALLY EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM -- including the person whose name is in the thread -- to get stressed about.

Actually better yet, delete it if at all possible.
I'll reply publicly: I really don't think there's a good reason to delete this thread. If you don't make comments that people feel a need to respond to in this thread, it will quickly die off, move out of the first few pages, and eventually be forgotten. The volume on this thread is directly attributable to your actions, TPH. I leave it to you what happens to it going forward. And I strongly hope you do let it wither away. I will also say if you get out of your usual habits, there will be no problem at all in responding to questions or comments you may have in the daily threads. But they can't be a perpetuation of your usual posting style.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 pm
Didn't see a single hint in this FJ! either.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A biography of him: "In a sweltering, dimly lit cabin, its window shades closed… his first presidential decisions were made"

So it was a president who served in the 20th century. That narrows it down to 18 people right there.

Then it said he made his first presidential decisions in a dimly lit cabin. That suggests it was someone who took office at a time other than Inauguration Day.

So that leaves us with:
Teddy Roosevelt
Calvin Coolidge
Harry Truman
LBJ
Gerald Ford

Truman was playing cards in the Senate chamber when he got the call to go to the White House. So it wasn’t him. Ford took the oath at the White House the day Nixon resigned. That eliminates him.

So that leaves us with Roosevelt, Coolidge, and LBJ. Several people misunderstood the meaning of cabin. Teddy went to the mountains when he thought McKinley was recovering. So it is possible he was up there when he learned he became president.

Coolidge was at his father’s farm when he found out Harding had died. He was actually my first thought before I wrote down Teddy and later changed to LBJ, who took the oath on a plane.

So there were plenty of hints to narrow it down.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 pm Then it said he made his first presidential decisions in a dimly lit cabin. That suggests it was someone who took office at a time other than Inauguration Day.
And right here is where you lost me.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 pm Then it said he made his first presidential decisions in a dimly lit cabin. That suggests it was someone who took office at a time other than Inauguration Day.
And right here is where you lost me.
Where does the president work? In the White House. A newly inaugurated president would be making their first presidential decisions in the White House, unless there was some other extenuating circumstance.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I almost missed that LBJ one, too. "Dimly lit cabin" made me think of a log cabin and I had trouble getting off of that. An airplane cabin didn't occur to me at all, but I guessed LBJ simply off the fact that a President's first decisions would likely normally be in the White House Add in that LBJ was the only prez I thought of that might have started working elsewhere.

I didn't think of airplane cabin until it was mentioned after the fact.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm Is there a reason I didn't even consider any of the Great Lakes in all of this?
It’s easier if you just know what the biggest lake in North America is. Sometimes you just gotta know stuff.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm Is there a reason I didn't even consider any of the Great Lakes in all of this?
It’s easier if you just know what the biggest lake in North America is. Sometimes you just gotta know stuff.
Probably easier if you live near the Great Lakes.

Oh, wait.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Golf wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:48 pm It’s easier if you just know what the biggest lake in North America is. Sometimes you just gotta know stuff.
I knew that, but it just slipped out of my head when I needed it. For some reason I locked onto Great Salt Lake and couldn't realign.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Seeing this bump made me think of this: