The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:58 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm Pritchett's Closets & Blinds = Modern Family seemed like an awfully deep cut for the top box.
Emmy winning comedy series five years in a row, and nominated the next three years.
Golden Globe best comedy nominee five years in a row and won in the middle of that stretch.

Choose to overlook one of the biggest comedies of the 2010s, fine, but that doesn't make it the writers' fault if you don't get it.
As TPH points out, it was a TS. Central Perk, one row down wasn't, and we'd all be flabbergasted if it had been. Mrs P and I watched several seasons of Modern Family and don't recall Pritchett's Closets & Blinds at all. Was it ever a setting in Modern Family? If it was, it wasn't a regular setting. You basically have to go off the last name, which is fine.

Central Perk on the other hand is practically a seventh character in Friends. Other than a bottle episode or two, I can't think of an episode that didn't have at least one scene there. (If there were such an episode, it'd be called "The One Where No One Goes to Central Perk". And even that episode would probably end with a shot of Gunther remarking on how quiet it's been lately and maybe kissing the picture of Rachel you know he keeps behind the counter.)

TPH is right on this one Central Perk should've been the top row clue. Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce should've been the next one down since it's a regular setting AND guessable by last name. THEN Pritchett's. Then Ozark, then Appalachicola Bob's or whatever the TS in the bottom row was.
It was frequently mentioned that Jay ran a business designing closets, and later on Claire worked for him and I believe eventually took over the business. There were plenty of episodes with scenes at their workplace.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm Pritchett's Closets & Blinds = Modern Family seemed like an awfully deep cut for the top box.
Emmy winning comedy series five years in a row, and nominated the next three years.
Golden Globe best comedy nominee five years in a row and won in the middle of that stretch.

Choose to overlook one of the biggest comedies of the 2010s, fine, but that doesn't make it the writers' fault if you don't get it.
As TPH points out, it was a TS. Central Perk, one row down wasn't, and we'd all be flabbergasted if it had been. Mrs P and I watched several seasons of Modern Family and don't recall Pritchett's Closets & Blinds at all. Was it ever a setting in Modern Family? If it was, it wasn't a regular setting. You basically have to go off the last name, which is fine.
Yes it was, many times over the course of a season. There was often work conflict between Jay and his daughter Claire, who worked for him. And very often an episode was built around closet humor - I remember there was one where they created a smart closet that would comment on one's appearance, and then they found out it was hackable...I have to admit I don't remember the "Blinds" part though.
Still I agree, Central Perk is more well known. I know it, and I never watched Friends.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Yes it was, many times over the course of a season. There was often work conflict between Jay and his daughter Claire, who worked for him. And very often an episode was built around closet humor - I remember there was one where they created a smart closet that would comment on one's appearance, and then they found out it was hackable...I have to admit I don't remember the "Blinds" part though.
I wonder if this was a Season 5 or later thing. I sure don't remember it at all.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm on Season 1 of Modern Family and I haven't seen any mention of Pritchett's Blinds. The opening scene of Friends takes place in Central Perk.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm

I wonder if this was a Season 5 or later thing. I sure don't remember it at all.
It may have been clustered in later seasons. Claire didn't always work for her father. But the closet business was behind the extraordinary Pritchett fortune that the show always celebrated. Just like Balzac tried to tell us... ;)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

davey wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm

It may have been clustered in later seasons. Claire didn't always work for her father. But the closet business was behind the extraordinary Pritchett fortune that the show always celebrated. Just like Balzac tried to tell us... ;)
And we can't forget Jay's nemesis, the head of business rival Closets Closets Closets Closets!
davey

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am

And we can't forget Jay's nemesis, the head of business rival Closets Closets Closets Closets!
Played by the late great Jon Polito, so memorable in many Coen Brothers films!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:44 pm
I could have stared at "nilpferd" for a week and never figured out "hippo". "Amphibious" misled me to actual amphibians and trying to make frog/toad/newt happen from that word. How were you supposed to figure that one out anyway? It's not a cognate nor does it have a recognizable root. How were you supposed to get "hippo" from that anyway?
1. "amphibious mammal" is a Pavlov for hippo

2. Lots of animals have descriptive names in German. For example, the word for skunk, "Stinktier", literally means "stinky animal." In this case, "Nilpferd" literally means "Nile horse"... and while a hippo is obviously not a horse, what large mammal lives in the Nile? A hippo!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 pm
I could have stared at "nilpferd" for a week and never figured out "hippo". "Amphibious" misled me to actual amphibians and trying to make frog/toad/newt happen from that word. How were you supposed to figure that one out anyway? It's not a cognate nor does it have a recognizable root. How were you supposed to get "hippo" from that anyway?

2. Lots of animals have descriptive names in German. For example, the word for skunk, "Stinktier", literally means "stinky animal." In this case, "Nilpferd" literally means "Nile horse"... and while a hippo is obviously not a horse, what large mammal lives in the Nile? A hippo!
1. I totally didn't see "mammal" in the clue because I was so fixated on "amphibious". Tunnel vision.

2. I know that. "Nild" doesn't sound a thing like "Nile" despite being one letter off, since the pronunciation is radically different. And "ferd" could be just about any animal even if you make the Nild->Nile leap.

IMO it was still way, way, way harder than spotting obvious cognates for lion and mane at $1,000.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:21 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 pm

1. I totally didn't see "mammal" in the clue because I was so fixated on "amphibious". Tunnel vision.

2. I know that. "Nild" doesn't sound a thing like "Nile" despite being one letter off, since the pronunciation is radically different. And "ferd" could be just about any animal even if you make the Nild->Nile leap.

IMO it was still way, way, way harder than spotting obvious cognates for lion and mane at $1,000.
Not "nild," "nil." (You wrote and quoted "nilpferd" without an extra d.) And "nil" sounds nothing (ha) like Nile, but "löwe" is an "obvious cognate" for "lion"? Now I know you're trolling.

Also it's funny how you admit to overlooking very important words but still conclude that the writers are to blame.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:41 pm
Not "nild," "nil." (You wrote and quoted "nilpferd" without an extra d.) And "nil" sounds nothing (ha) like Nile, but "löwe" is an "obvious cognate" for "lion"? Now I know you're trolling.
"Ferd" could still be just about anything
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:45 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:41 pm
"Ferd" could still be just about anything
I wasn't arguing about "pferd" (which has a p at the beginning); I knew already that that means "horse" but I wasn't arguing that anyone else should too.

What it comes down to: the clue said it was a "large amphibious mammal," and it began with the same three letters as a major river (and one might have bodies of water in mind due to "amphibious").
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm with TPH on that one. Hippo was easily the most difficult clue in that category as far as I'm concerned.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I do think that clue would have been more gettable if they had offered the literal "Nile horse" translation instead of (or in addition to) "large amphibious mammal."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Poll request seen and better job with the hippo clue talk moving here than the extended ping pong rally in the Monday thread about speeding vs. DUI.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 pm 1. "amphibious mammal" is a Pavlov for hippo
Apparently. 4 hits in the archive including this game, all pointing to hippo. Weird. When I saw the phrase I was thinking in terms of walruses, sea lions, seals, otters, platypuseseses.... It would've taken me a long time to think of a hippopotamus and then another one and add them to the list.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:37 am Poll request seen and better job with the hippo clue talk moving here than the extended ping pong rally in the Monday thread about speeding vs. DUI.
I thought that was an interesting conversation. So's this one. I'm not in favor of ghettoizing all TPH discussions, only the ones that stall out or where the objection is tedious. I know others are of a different mind on this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought lion was way overvalued at the bottom row, especially when they told us he had a mahne.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Does a few letters filled in help with one of your bugaboos?

Don't look at 7D. You don't like him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 pm What was the TOM for London in All Fairs for $200?
Crystal Palace

Yes, I know ... "generic as hell", "could be anywhere", etc...

It isn't and it's not.