The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 pm But not too old. The Declaration of Independence is definitely too modern, so go back. But if you hit the Code of Hammurabi, you've gone too far. Shoulda pulled over and asked for directions somewhere in the middle ages.
But considering that my knowledge of world history is almost nonexistant, I figured it was FAR more likely to be something that wasn't on my radar.
Get a children's book of world history or borrow one from the library. It worked for James Holzhauer; it could work for you.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Holy shit, Hammer is still pulling this shit after all these years??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Time to give it up, buddy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a British Museum?! I saw absolutely no TOM in that clue whatsoever.
Yes, it's worth remembering. Quite possibly the world's most famous history museum. It also comes up a lot in reference to artifacts it houses that were more or less pilfered over the course of the British Empire, such as the Elgin Marbles and Rosetta Stone.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a British Museum?! I saw absolutely no TOM in that clue whatsoever.
Yes, it's worth remembering. Quite possibly the world's most famous history museum. It also comes up a lot in reference to artifacts it houses that were more or less pilfered over the course of the British Empire, such as the Elgin Marbles and Rosetta Stone.
Found in the Bloomsbury District, this museum has a giant head from Easter Island & a Sutton Hoo burial helmet
None of the words in the clue mean anything to me. Easter Island is off South America, and "Sutton Hoo" and "Bloomsbury" could be literally anywhere. In fact, "Sutton Hoo" sounds more Asian to me than anything else.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm and "Sutton Hoo" and "Bloomsbury" could be literally anywhere.
But they aren't literally anywhere. In fact they are both in England. That was the TOM.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm and "Sutton Hoo" and "Bloomsbury" could be literally anywhere.
But they aren't literally anywhere. In fact they are both in England. That was the TOM.
Those don't seem top-box, "everyone has heard of this" well known. "Sutton Hoo" has only come up five times in the archive.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm
Those don't seem top-box, "everyone has heard of this" well known. "Sutton Hoo" has only come up five times in the archive.
It was difficult for a top row clue, no argument there.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pmIn fact, "Sutton Hoo" sounds more Asian to me than anything else.
Sounds more Seussian to me.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pmIn fact, "Sutton Hoo" sounds more Asian to me than anything else.
Sounds more Seussian to me.
It is. Sutton was Cindy Lou's little-known brother. He only showed up in the first draft.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm
None of the words in the clue mean anything to me. Easter Island is off South America, and "Sutton Hoo" and "Bloomsbury" could be literally anywhere. In fact, "Sutton Hoo" sounds more Asian to me than anything else.
The Boomsbury District also gave its name to the literary Bloomsbury Group, whose most noted member was Virginia Woolf. But she could have been of literally any nationality.
OCSam
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Also Harrod's is in Bloomsbury, shouting back to a recent FJ....Everything is connected.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:18 pm Also Harrod's is in Bloomsbury, shouting back to a recent FJ....Everything is connected.
That doesn't help unless you also know that The Pink Panther is British.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:18 pm Also Harrod's is in Bloomsbury, shouting back to a recent FJ....Everything is connected.
Well, thanks to the Pythons I do know that ever sperm is sacred...
Leander

Post by Leander »

Uhh, no it’s not. Harrods is in the Knightsbridge section of London.
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 pm
Uhh, no it’s not. Harrods is in the Knightsbridge section of London.
Thanks for the correction. I shouldn't have relied on a 30 year old memory of staying nearby. Though I didn't quite. When you google Harrods Bloomsbury you get a sidebar that purports to show it at a "Greater, Bloomsbury" address. (That comma should have given me pause.) I'll never trust the Internet again...! :roll: :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm
The Boomsbury District also gave its name to the literary Bloomsbury Group, whose most noted member was Virginia Woolf. But she could have been of literally any nationality.
TIL she was a real person.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:43 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:09 pm The Boomsbury District also gave its name to the literary Bloomsbury Group, whose most noted member was Virginia Woolf. But she could have been of literally any nationality.
TIL she was a real person.
Interesting. I wouldn't have picked her as someone likely to engender that confusion. Off the top of my head, here's my top 10 list of people you might not have realized were real:

10. T. E. Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia)
9. P. T. Barnum
8. Will Rogers
7. Annie Oakley
6. Al Capone
5. Calamity Jane
4. Bonnie and Clyde
3. Billy the Kid
2. Evel Knievel
1. Harry Houdini
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:10 am 10. T. E. Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia)
9. P. T. Barnum
8. Will Rogers
7. Annie Oakley
6. Al Capone
5. Calamity Jane
4. Bonnie and Clyde
3. Billy the Kid
2. Evel Knievel
1. Harry Houdini
10 is the only one I've failed to process as a real person.

You can add Daniel Webster, Johnny Applesseed, and Blackbeard to the list for me, though.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, December 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:56 am Big, Little, No Bang for $600 was ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS negbait for Hudson AND OF COURSE I BIT DOWN ON IT LIKE I ALWAYS DO.
Nothing negbait about the clue. Nothing is baiting you towards one river or the other. Is it a YEKIOYD clue? Absolutely. Negbait? Nope.
Then why is it I fail literally every binary choice that a clue has ever offered me?
opusthepenguin

Re: Monday, December 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:59 am
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:56 am Big, Little, No Bang for $600 was ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS negbait for Hudson AND OF COURSE I BIT DOWN ON IT LIKE I ALWAYS DO.
Nothing negbait about the clue. Nothing is baiting you towards one river or the other. Is it a YEKIOYD clue? Absolutely. Negbait? Nope.
Then why is it I fail literally every binary choice that a clue has ever offered me?
Because when asked "Do you literally fail every binary choice ever offered by a Jeopardy! clue?" you responded "Yes" when in fact the answer is "No".