Thursday, December 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, December 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

Leander wrote:
jpr281 wrote:I don't remember exactly how the Wharton/UPenn question was worded but I thought they were asking for the business school. Wouldn't Wharton have been acceptable?
I think they were looking for Universities, so they wanted the university that Wharton was a part of.
LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS -- FOR UNDERGRADS, THIS CITY OF BROTHERLY UNIVERSITY WAS TOPS.
So, they were looking for the university's name, not the grad school.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: How can you possibly shortcut "greatest common factor of 84 and 105"
105 - 84 = 21

Just kidding.
Wafo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Wafo »

goatman's idea of seeing 84 and 105 as 80+4 and 100+5 definitely makes it easier to see that they're multiples of 21. There is the extra connection of "80+4=(20+1)*4, so 84 = 21*4", but it's a fast connection.

A less useful trick, just something cute, is seeing 8/4=2 and 10/5=2. The hundereds-tens place being twice the ones place makes them both multiples of 21. It's like a more specific case of the first method, because it only works when one digit is a multiple of another.

The difference between 105 and 84 being 21 isn't a joke, because that gives you 21 in one connection. Check that 84 is a multiple of 21 to realize it's the right answer. This works so well because they're consecutive multiples.

The GCF is a factor of the difference. Say your numbers are xy and xz, with x being the GCF. The difference is xy-xz = x(y-z), which is a multiple of x. For the Jeopardy answer, we were lucky enough for y-z to be 1.

Those first methods don't work when you start carrying from the ones place, like with 78 and 104 being multiples of 26. It's a little harder to see "60+18 and 80+24". But if you had 182 and 234, you could find the difference, 52, and see that neither number is a multiple of 52. The closest multiple of 52 is 208, and both numbers are 26 away from it, so the GCF is 26.

I didn't get to the correct response in time when I was watching the show, because I started small and wasn't even thinking about a shortcut at the time.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

dhkendall wrote:I had *serious* reading comprehension problems with my answer of "Rodin". First I thought they wanted the sculptor, not the sculpture (which I why I was expecting negs for a different reason when the reveal started), secondly was forgetting the category, the only sculpture I could think of with more than one person in it was "The Kiss". (Mount Rushmore doesn't usually come to mind when I think of "sculptures")
I also don't really think of Mt Rushmore as a sculpture.
I focused on the word "them" in the clue and started thinking of the statue Turning their swords into Plowshares (or whatever the actual name of it is) but then switched to Mt Rushmore.
I also had to read the question 2 or 3 times to make sure they didn't want the name of the sculptor.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Um, 9/11 memorial? Did that contestant not realize what the category was?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
scrutinizer
Contributor

Post by scrutinizer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: How can you possibly shortcut "greatest common factor of 84 and 105"
105 - 84 = 21

Just kidding.
You might be kidding, but this is the fastest way to get there. Obviously 21*4=84,so the next test is 5*21=?. That works, so that's your answer. If not, you'd look at the factors of 21. This method works for find the GCF of any two numbers.

ETA: Or what wafo said. Memo to self: Read the whole thread before responding.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

That FJ sure did make me feel like a dumb-dumb. Ugh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

scrutinizer wrote:Obviously 21*4=84,so the next test is 5*21=?. That works, so that's your answer. If not, you'd look at the factors of 21. This method works for find the GCF of any two numbers.
Your method seems like you had to know 21 going in. It never would've occurred to me to start that far up the numbers. I was going "Well, both of them are divisible by 3… what about fou—oh crap, someone's rung in, too late."
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

Tough game for me - too many wrong answers, got beat to the buzzer on plenty of others, and then in Double Jeopardy Kevin really hit his stride. I would have loved to have gotten that Godzilla daily double myself (how easy was that?!), and I wish I had gotten the buzzer timing on Emma Lazarus at the end to swing the scores by $4,000 and make it look a little more competitive, but Kevin rose to the occasion at the opportune moments. Well played.

For FJ, I would have needed the sculptor's name to make the connection to Mount Rushmore. I was not very confident about my answer, but it was all I was able to come up with in 30 seconds.

It was a short run for me, but a memorable one all the same, and I thank this community for all that I learned in the weeks and months leading up to my appearance. It definitely helped me elevate my game!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

fritzk3 wrote:It was a short run for me, but a memorable one all the same, and I thank this community for all that I learned in the weeks and months leading up to my appearance. It definitely helped me elevate my game!
The Management does accept, um, charitable donations of 10% of your winnings. Congratulations on the win; it's a lot more than many people can say.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

scrutinizer wrote:ETA: Or what wafo said. Memo to self: Read the whole thread before responding.
The post might not have been there when you composed yours, as it needed to be approved by a moderator. When I visitewd this morning, that was the last post in the thread, except it wasn't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
sethmoko
Contributor

Post by sethmoko »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a history of messing up Zod and Zog.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

fritzk3 wrote:For FJ, I would have needed the sculptor's name to make the connection to Mount Rushmore. I was not very confident about my answer, but it was all I was able to come up with in 30 seconds.
I couldn't come up with Mount Rushmore in 30 seconds from home, either. I don't think most folks immediately associate "sculpture" and "Mount Rushmore," and that's probably what makes it a pretty good FJ clue.

You played very well, and it was particularly nice to hear someone enunciate each answer so clearly.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Since I live right outside Philadelphia, I really love it when clues refer to it.
33 correct. Not my best night.
FJ-I am still kicking myself on that one. I have been to Mt. Rushmore, I was not thinking of Mt. Rushmore as sculpture. So I would never have gotten it correct, even with more time. :(
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
What led to Maine on State Stuff for $600?
Bowdoin
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

This episode had it all- writers amusing themselves with a risque category title, David abbreviating category titles, Kurt enunciating each answer quite clearly, and awesome time management/comeback from Kevin -- just solid board-clearing habits all around. Nice job guys! The reason this thread doesn't register in the hundreds of posts is because y'all were too competent.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

...how did only one player get that Kids Week FJ right?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I said, "No, wasn't Rushmore done in the late 19th century?"
Since Teddy Roosevelt wasn't president until the 20th century, it wasn't.

Instaget FJ for me, but I also don't really think of it as a sculpture. I guess I'd describe it as a carving.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I said, "No, wasn't Rushmore done in the late 19th century?"
Since Teddy Roosevelt wasn't president until the 20th century, it wasn't.
Well, considering that I have a history of forgetting exactly who is on Mount Rushmore…
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
scrutinizer wrote:Obviously 21*4=84,so the next test is 5*21=?. That works, so that's your answer. If not, you'd look at the factors of 21. This method works for find the GCF of any two numbers.
Your method seems like you had to know 21 going in. It never would've occurred to me to start that far up the numbers. I was going "Well, both of them are divisible by 3… what about fou—oh crap, someone's rung in, too late."
Cut it any way you want math is something you just see. I was going with seven and the minute it was negged, I saw 21. The equation question is really easy, it is 3X = 54, but you have to see it, and know that 3 times 18 is 54, and I mean know it without have to really think about it. If you have to go 3 times 8 is 24, carry the two and 3 times one is three, plus two is five, so it is 54. You aren't getting a math question on jeopardy.

I'm a math head, but the vocablulary questions. Lord, help me. They often ask OED questions. Let me look at them in the archive. I can figure out a lot of the answers most of the time. On the show, my get ratio is probably 20% to 25% having to buzz in right after the question was read.