The signaling device

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: The signaling device

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Does anybody think it is worth it to invest in a device to practice?

http://www.buzzersystems.com/index.html
(I'm not selling, just found the website via a Google search)

I suppose the pen is probably adequate, since solo practice might make your thumb quicker, but it won't really help you to get in sync with the board operator and Alex's voice.
What I hate about clicky pens is they don't react the way the buzzer would; the buzzer button always comes all the way back up each time. Pens go through a half up, all up, half up, all up, cycle.

Though this got me thinking, if I can find an equivalent buzzer (their handheld doesn't quite look right) I might just pick one up now...
I actually use a novelty oversize pen for my ring-in practice, I'm guessing it's roughly the same size as the in-studio one, but it's probably bigger. Here is a picture of me using it, so you can see it in my (admittedly, larger-than average) hands for comparison.

The "clicker" on it is actually broken from overuse, so it (usually) comes all the way back up each time.

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Volante wrote:What I hate about clicky pens is they don't react the way the buzzer would; the buzzer button always comes all the way back up each time. Pens go through a half up, all up, half up, all up, cycle.
What I used to practice, based on a suggestion someone made on the old board, was a car lighter phone charger... the size of the "clicker" was obviously not the same, but the feedback with the button coming all the way back up was similar.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I actually use an old Wii Nunchuck attachment as a "buzzer", though it does have the extra analog stick getting in the way.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

I use, wait, there are people under 18 reading this board, aren't there. Never mind. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

If it makes you feel more confident to practice ringing in while you watch the show, go ahead. But I think your preparation time is better spent reading the many reference books recommended on this forum, than pressing your clicky pen over and over. Anyone who's been on the show knows there's a world of difference between playing along at home and doing it for real. Besides, I think the rush of adrenalin once you get on the set and hold the signalling device in your hand is enough to improve anyone's reaction time.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Judy5cents wrote: Besides, I think the rush of adrenalin once you get on the set and hold the signalling device in your hand is enough to improve anyone's reaction time.
or just completely screw it up. :)
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Sherm wrote:
Judy5cents wrote: Besides, I think the rush of adrenalin once you get on the set and hold the signalling device in your hand is enough to improve anyone's reaction time.
or just completely screw it up. :)
Yeah, that too. And it happens to the best of us.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

I'm going to disagree with a couple of people on here.

1. It's all about the buzzer.
2. The buzzer has nothing to do with speed or reflexes.
3. If you are a lifelong voracious reader, the marginal knowledge you will gain from studying lists is not enough to give you a meaningful edge over opponents studying the same lists and will more likely slow down your processing time as you run through a mental list. Jeopardy is a word-association game, not a trivia game. The advantage you can gain by coming into the studio with your buzzer timing down may be insurmountable for your opponents in the 20 minutes they have to catch up with you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Volante wrote:What I hate about clicky pens is they don't react the way the buzzer would; the buzzer button always comes all the way back up each time. Pens go through a half up, all up, half up, all up, cycle.
What I used to practice, based on a suggestion someone made on the old board, was a car lighter phone charger... the size of the "clicker" was obviously not the same, but the feedback with the button coming all the way back up was similar.
That might very well have been me. And I'm still using mine. :lol:
It's still the best analog for the button behavior that I've managed to scavenge for free.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MDaunt wrote:Jeopardy is a word-association game, not a trivia game.
Agreed. That's why, if you have to study something, the Pavlov lists help with the word association part. That's also why people can, for example, say that they reduced a clue whose correct response is "What is the pancreas?" to "blah blah blah this insulin-producing organ blah blah blah". Being fluent in Jeopardese is key to success as well.

(And yes I know I have my .sig about being information-omnivorous, which contradicts MDaunt, but being information-omnivorous will get you to the Pavlovs needed.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

dhkendall wrote:
(And yes I know I have my .sig about being information-omnivorous, which contradicts MDaunt, but being information-omnivorous will get you to the Pavlovs needed.)
How does that contradict me?

How to get on Jeopardy and win: Know everything and get the buzzer timing perfect.

What could be easier than that?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

MDaunt wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

How to get on Jeopardy and win: Know everything and get the buzzer timing perfect.

Sharpening a pencil.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

lieph82 wrote:
MDaunt wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Sharpening a pencil.
Never did get the hang of that.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Also someone tell Austin Powers he's been doing it wrong, he should start knowing everything and buzzing stuff :) .
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

MDaunt wrote:I'm going to disagree with a couple of people on here.

3. If you are a lifelong voracious reader, the marginal knowledge you will gain from studying lists is not enough to give you a meaningful edge over opponents studying the same lists and will more likely slow down your processing time as you run through a mental list. Jeopardy is a word-association game, not a trivia game. The advantage you can gain by coming into the studio with your buzzer timing down may be insurmountable for your opponents in the 20 minutes they have to catch up with you.
If it's not about speed or reflexes, but timing, how do you come into the studio with that down, since it is relying on synchronizing your timing with Alex and the buzzer operator, other than being the returning champion? Are you saying that there is no real advantage to worrying about it until you actually get in studio?
Sheepin' it real.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
MDaunt wrote:I'm going to disagree with a couple of people on here.

If it's not about speed or reflexes, but timing, how do you come into the studio with that down, since it is relying on synchronizing your timing with Alex and the buzzer operator, other than being the returning champion? Are you saying that there is no real advantage to worrying about it until you actually get in studio?
No, I'm saying there's a massive advantage to practicing before you get in the studio (which also helps with the audition process).
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

For home viewers trying to practice, does the clue disappear from the screen at the same time the lights turn on for the contestants? If true, that could test your timing, but I don't know.

Come to think if it, I could test the theory by watching my recording of Eddie Timanus in the BoTD when they gave an audio tone synchronized with the lights.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

cosmos wrote:For home viewers trying to practice, does the clue disappear from the screen at the same time the lights turn on for the contestants? If true, that could test your timing, but I don't know.

Come to think if it, I could test the theory by watching my recording of Eddie Timanus in the BoTD when they gave an audio tone synchronized with the lights.
Typically, the shot cuts to the contestants just before the signaling device becomes active. You then see them trying to ring in and one contestant's podium light up.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MDaunt wrote: No, I'm saying there's a massive advantage to practicing before you get in the studio (which also helps with the audition process).
I've been to one audition and I'm convinced they give everyone a chance to buzz in, in the mock game.
MDaunt

Post by MDaunt »

Vanya wrote:
MDaunt wrote: No, I'm saying there's a massive advantage to practicing before you get in the studio (which also helps with the audition process).
I've been to one audition and I'm convinced they give everyone a chance to buzz in, in the mock game.
Right. But you've practiced, so you've also practiced moving quickly on to the next question without being prompted (which probably knocks more people out of contention than anything else).