2015 Online Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

stephanie
Contributor

Re: 2015 Online Test

Post by stephanie »

Upset the closest audition city is all the way in Boston. I always entered Philadelphia (or I think NYC the one year) as the audition city. I just can't afford the travel expenses. (Don't want to even think how I would afford the travel if I even get on the show, but I have never let that stop me from the online test). I registered anyway, of course.

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Username invalid on all browsers, oy.
Did you enter just the month and year (NOT the date) in that field?
Yeah, guessing the username needs to be a certain amount of characters. 10 characters was a no-go; 18 worked.

akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

stephanie wrote:Upset the closest audition city is all the way in Boston. I always entered Philadelphia (or I think NYC the one year) as the audition city. I just can't afford the travel expenses. (Don't want to even think how I would afford the travel if I even get on the show, but I have never let that stop me from the online test). I registered anyway, of course.

Well, wouldn't you win at least $1000 if you get on the show? That would cover most domestic plane tickets and a couple nights at a modest hotel....

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

www.jeopardy.com gives me:

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Yeah, guessing the username needs to be a certain amount of characters. 10 characters was a no-go; 18 worked.
It took my username with only four characters. But it didn't allow me to use a space or any special characters.

Ans I *still* haven't gotten a confirmation, even though I saw the "You have successfully registered" page.
Teems with quiet fun.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Registered yesterday afternoon, got the confirmation in the evening.

Ready to pass for the 4th time in a row and 5th overall...hoping for that first audition!
Total game show career losings = $171,522

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Username invalid on all browsers, oy.
Did you enter just the month and year (NOT the date) in that field?
Nope, I first used a user name of 9 characters, it worked but I backed out of it before I hit submit because I was unsure of the postal code to use (at the time they wouldn't let me enter a Canadian postal code, which has letters, only a US ZIP code, which doesn't, that's fixed now), andcouldntget back in. So I had to use a new username and email and this one had 10 characters and worked the same as the 9 character one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

akrites wrote:
stephanie wrote:Upset the closest audition city is all the way in Boston. I always entered Philadelphia (or I think NYC the one year) as the audition city. I just can't afford the travel expenses. (Don't want to even think how I would afford the travel if I even get on the show, but I have never let that stop me from the online test). I registered anyway, of course.

Well, wouldn't you win at least $1000 if you get on the show? That would cover most domestic plane tickets and a couple nights at a modest hotel....
It should cover most travel expenses to and at the show, but probably not enough to also cover all the audition travel if you do more than drive a couple hours. Plus there is a time lag. You don't get paid until 4 months after your episode(s) air(s), which is a few months after taping, which is a month or so after the call, which may be as much as 18 months after the audition, so that's a long time to carry the expense before you finally get reimbursed for it. If you have money to spare it's not a big deal, but if you don't, well, it's not so easy. And lots of people audition but never get on, so they never get anything back.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

debramc wrote:
akrites wrote:

It should cover most travel expenses to and at the show, but probably not enough to also cover all the audition travel if you do more than drive a couple hours. Plus there is a time lag. You don't get paid until 4 months after your episode(s) air(s), which is a few months after taping, which is a month or so after the call, which may be as much as 18 months after the audition, so that's a long time to carry the expense before you finally get reimbursed for it. If you have money to spare it's not a big deal, but if you don't, well, it's not so easy. And lots of people audition but never get on, so they never get anything back.
Part of the reason I still advocate for higher winnings for second and third. (Which reminds me, I've taken up the banner of second and third getting their score as winnings (with a guaranteed minimum of let's say the current consolation prizes) and I've often had quoted to me the case of the Fleming player who stopped when he got to his target amount. But I realizedthat he didn't even get that target amount as his cheque was less due to taxes!)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

debramc wrote:
akrites wrote:

I guess the answer is to use a different email address and user name. But my sense is that the registration process is still somewhat screwed up (maybe more than somewhat) so I think I'll hold off till they have time to fix things, before I burn yet another email address. It all doesn't bode well for down the road, i.e. the test itself.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Shall I share my secret fear? Clearly, Jeopardy! has rewritten the registration software. (And equally clearly failed to test it properly.) But if they use the same application to administer the test as in past years, when we log on, it's going to ask for a confirmation number. (The Insider Tip #1 video, which is from last year, says "Have your confirmation number handy.")

Have the confirmation emails included confirmation numbers? I haven't heard anyone say so.

Of course, perhaps they rewrote the administration app as well, or perhaps they will disable the confirmation # part. I may be worried about nothing.
Teems with quiet fun.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

immaf wrote:Shall I share my secret fear? Clearly, Jeopardy! has rewritten the registration software. (And equally clearly failed to test it properly.) But if they use the same application to administer the test as in past years, when we log on, it's going to ask for a confirmation number. (The Insider Tip #1 video, which is from last year, says "Have your confirmation number handy.")

Have the confirmation emails included confirmation numbers? I haven't heard anyone say so.

Of course, perhaps they rewrote the administration app as well, or perhaps they will disable the confirmation # part. I may be worried about nothing.
They said in the confirmation email that "Jeopardy! will send you a reminder email as we approach the event." so maybe it will be in there. But my feeling is that instead we'll be asked to use our username/password combo instead to log in to the test. The reminder email may (or may not) come with a reminder of the username/password combo.

I plan on taking it on the last day anyways (since Wednesdays (preferred day for Central time zone people like me) are always bad for me) so hopefully things will work out by then.

thatsnoternie

Post by thatsnoternie »

dhkendall wrote:
immaf wrote:Shall I share my secret fear? Clearly, Jeopardy! has rewritten the registration software. (And equally clearly failed to test it properly.) But if they use the same application to administer the test as in past years, when we log on, it's going to ask for a confirmation number. (The Insider Tip #1 video, which is from last year, says "Have your confirmation number handy.")

They said in the confirmation email that "Jeopardy! will send you a reminder email as we approach the event." so maybe it will be in there. But my feeling is that instead we'll be asked to use our username/password combo instead to log in to the test. The reminder email may (or may not) come with a reminder of the username/password combo.

I plan on taking it on the last day anyways (since Wednesdays (preferred day for Central time zone people like me) are always bad for me) so hopefully things will work out by then.
I signed up for the test on Monday, and got my confirmation email five hours later. There was no confirmation number. My suspicion is that there is a reason why we were asked to create a username and password when signing up -- given that there is no confirmation number, we may be prompted for the username and password (they did totally reformat the test portal anyway so you don't need Flash to run it, according to the instructions). Just a thought.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
econgator wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Commenters above are assuming that those in the 18-month pool cannot take the test, which is consistent with past practice, but I was not able to find that explicitly said in this year's fine print. Did I overlook a statement to that effect?
It's in the FAQ.
Thank you, but the link I was sent has nothing labeled as an FAQ, only an "Introduction" which seems not to contain the statement in question. Am I thick, or are we looking at two different sites?

Update:

I have this - https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/thetest/

I think you may be looking at this - http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantfaqs/ It is unclear to me if that still has the force of law, since it is a link from this outdated page - http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/c ... tsearches/
I guess no one wanted to comment further on this, but I decided to sign up for the test, and I registered and received a confirmation e-mail with no trouble. Clearly I did not set off alarm bells in any secret database, at least not yet. I have two weeks to decide whether to risk actually taking the test. Again, the current instructions, not the ones from last year on an outdated part of the website, do not contain the usual ban. Could this be deliberate? Is it possible that the records of who is in the pool could have been partially lost in the Sony hack (obviously not entirely lost or new filming would have come to a halt, but partially lost), and everyone is being given a clean slate?

Update: OK - maybe not. The old FAQ has been updated to reflect that the next test is taking place in April, so I guess the rules therein are still in force. It still is odd that the introduction we were sent directly contains no such language, but I will probably not risk taking the test this year.

Lars
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Lars »

If you're lucky enough to get on the show, you can deduct your travel - both to the taping and to the audition - as expenses offsetting your income (winning). That should save a few $ on taxes. Note: I am NOT a tax advisor. On the plus side, I deducted my expenses in 2013 when I went on the show, and I haven't received any notice from the IRS yet, even though I didn't have any income to show for it (my check came in 2014).

I'm curious as to whether turning down an invitation to an audition has consequences, either for good or bad, for an invitation later. Anyone with such an experience?

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Okay, should I be going to jeopardy dot com slash something? Because it's still giving me the 404 error for just the home, and that's what I've had bookmarked for ages.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Leaper wrote:Okay, should I be going to jeopardy dot com slash something? Because it's still giving me the 404 error for just the home, and that's what I've had bookmarked for ages.
It just worked for me. I would clear your cookies in the browser to see if that helps. The direct link to register is https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/thetest/

jan

Post by jan »

I just got email from the Jeopardy! Contestant Department, confirming that within 18 months of an in-person audition, you can take the on-line test for fun only, but are ineligible for another audition.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jan wrote:I just got email from the Jeopardy! Contestant Department, confirming that within 18 months of an in-person audition, you can take the on-line test for fun only, but are ineligible for another audition.
The question remains, how do you indicate that you are taking it for fun, or will they just cross-check names or email addresses of people who are already in the pool and disregard them?

mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

boson wrote:
Leaper wrote:Okay, should I be going to jeopardy dot com slash something? Because it's still giving me the 404 error for just the home, and that's what I've had bookmarked for ages.
It just worked for me. I would clear your cookies in the browser to see if that helps. The direct link to register is https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/thetest/

For those who have successfully registered, congratulations!I think the process is still hosed. Just tried again to register, this time with a different email addresss, but when I click on "register" nothing happens. Still a ways to go till test dates so no need to panic. I figure there's a reasonable chance they'll have things fixed before then, and the tests themselves will function without major problems. At least 50-50.