2015 Online Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ryanjeopardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: 2015 Online Test

Post by ryanjeopardy »

Hey everyone, new to the forum. I just tried registering for the test and I'm getting a message "We're sorry, you are not eligible to take the online test." Anyone else get that? Thanks!
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

I just tried twice to sign up -- on 2 different computers. I got the "We're sorry you're ineligible" message both times.
I last took the test 2 years ago and I know I passed (more than 35 right), but I was not called for an audition. In fact, I never even heard about in person auditions in Chicago last year.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I just received the email announcing the registration and the button to get to the application seemed to work fine. My problem with the process, having already been on the show, is the one I wish for many of you down the line.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Like akrites, I registered but received neither a confirmation # nor an email telling me what it is. (And yes, I checked my spam filter) I'm going to give it some more time, then email TPTB.
Teems with quiet fun.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

Well, that's pretty a pretty minimal registration process, compared to the old style. No recapitulation about time zones after finishing, no method to confirm your computer set-up will work, nothing about logging on early, etc. Perhaps more of that stuff will be provided closer to the day or in a confirmatory email, but honestly, given the problems with it this morning as well, it's been somewhat inauspicious so far.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:P.S. Did there used to be a way in past years to register to take the test just for fun? If there isn't, I guess I'll just play off of the questions that eventually get posted on this board.
Yep. Used to be a box you'd check at the end of the registration process. Didn't see it this time.
I didn't see anything either about taking the test for fun. Don't get it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

immaf wrote:Like akrites, I registered but received neither a confirmation # nor an email telling me what it is. (And yes, I checked my spam filter) I'm going to give it some more time, then email TPTB.
Keep me informed too, I registered (said "screw it" to the ZIP code and entered 99999, hopefully that's good) but no confirmation. I'm thinking maybe on test day you just have to use your email and login name that you entered at the beginning.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Commenters above are assuming that those in the 18-month pool cannot take the test, which is consistent with past practice, but I was not able to find that explicitly said in this year's fine print. Did I overlook a statement to that effect?
Woof

Post by Woof »

I signed up using your link, DHK, but so far no email for me, either. Perhaps we should have waited for an "official" announcement before signing up.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote:I signed up using your link, DHK, but so far no email for me, either. Perhaps we should have waited for an "official" announcement before signing up.
I received the official announcement via email at 1:31pm Pacific time.

Last year I received a confirmation after registering, though I'm not sure how long afterwards it was sent..... within 24 hours definitely.
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Like RandyG, I got an email at the same time he did (3:31pm since I'm in Central Time). I'm a bit bummed that Chicago wasn't one of the locations. I finally moved to the Chicago area and had to audition in Detroit in 2013. Now the closest is KC.

I got a message that registration was successful; didn't notice any promise of an email confirmation.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

A friend of mine forwarded her email to me. When I clicked on the link, I was able to register. But I had to pick Boston, MA as my audition site. Nothing else was closer.
Prior to receiving her forwarded email, I went to the Jeopardy site. I clicked on the box that said where to register, but nothing happened. I am glad that my friend forwarded her email to me. But I should have gotten an email from Jeopardy myself. So far, I have not. I just hope that I am really registered.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Commenters above are assuming that those in the 18-month pool cannot take the test, which is consistent with past practice, but I was not able to find that explicitly said in this year's fine print. Did I overlook a statement to that effect?
It's in the FAQ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:I signed up using your link, DHK, but so far no email for me, either. Perhaps we should have waited for an "official" announcement before signing up.
It's on jeopardy.com and J!'s Facebook page. That was "official" enough for me.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

delisadawning
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by delisadawning »

I too tried to register and received a message that I was ineligible. I have no idea why. I tried registering with two different email addresses, and neither worked. I hope this can get resolved before the test!

Edit: I just tried again (a couple hours later) and my registration was successful. Not sure what changed. Good luck everyone!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the ineligible people, make sure that you enter your birthdate just as month year, no date. For example, my birthdate is March 13, 1972, I entered it as 03/1972, I left the 13 out entirely. If you don't, it might read the 13 as the year and you'd be ineligible (since it's looking for a number probably from 1900-1997).

"Following directions" is a key factor of getting on the show. ;)

macsr

Post by macsr »

I tried registering with my preferred email address and ended up closing the window because I couldn't use my postal code for the form. I later saw that it was working for Canadians, so I decided to give it another shot, but when I tried to sign up again and complete the registration using that same email and username, it said that the "email or username is not unique".

Anyone else run into this issue and solve it?

I've already registered with a different email address (and am also wondering re: a confirmation email), but was just wondering if I could somehow fix the issue with my preferred one.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

econgator wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Commenters above are assuming that those in the 18-month pool cannot take the test, which is consistent with past practice, but I was not able to find that explicitly said in this year's fine print. Did I overlook a statement to that effect?
It's in the FAQ.
Thank you, but the link I was sent has nothing labeled as an FAQ, only an "Introduction" which seems not to contain the statement in question. Am I thick, or are we looking at two different sites?

Update:

I have this - https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/thetest/

I think you may be looking at this - http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantfaqs/ It is unclear to me if that still has the force of law, since it is a link from this outdated page - http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/c ... tsearches/
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

macsr wrote:I tried registering with my preferred email address and ended up closing the window because I couldn't use my postal code for the form. I later saw that it was working for Canadians, so I decided to give it another shot, but when I tried to sign up again and complete the registration using that same email and username, it said that the "email or username is not unique".

Anyone else run into this issue and solve it?

I've already registered with a different email address (and am also wondering re: a confirmation email), but was just wondering if I could somehow fix the issue with my preferred one.
Try this link: https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/ad ... ntact.html

I didn't finish the process, then had the same thing happen, telling me that my email or username is not unique. The above link takes you to the second page in the process, though I'm not sure that it will automatically connect with the original info that you entered.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

No difficulty registering but yes only 7 cities available and the very short lead time 2 weeks vice 2 months in past suggests that they're fishing for a smaller pool.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!