2015 Online Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: 2015 Online Test

Post by Magna »

ElendilPickle wrote:Glenn and Corina did my Los Angeles audition in 2012.
Mine too! (But mine wasn't as successful as yours. :) )
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Blue Lion wrote:I'm scratching my head over what city to choose. I live in the Detroit area. If I pick Atlanta, I risk being the only non-southerner in the field (though at my age, I'll already stick out like the proverbial sore thumb anywhere). Boston is the most expensive, by far; and KC is the farthest away (but good BBQ and Boulevard Pale Ale are waiting there).
I'm in London, Canada, just northeast of you and picked KC because a) I've never been there, but I have been to Boston and b) it costs more to get to Boston than KC even though it's closer.

I'm also one of those people who will stick out due to age - I'll hold your hand for you!

:lol:
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote:For the ineligible people, make sure that you enter your birthdate just as month year, no date. For example, my birthdate is March 13, 1972, I entered it as 03/1972, I left the 13 out entirely. If you don't, it might read the 13 as the year and you'd be ineligible (since it's looking for a number probably from 1900-1997).

"Following directions" is a key factor of getting on the show. ;)
Happy belated birthday
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
immaf

Post by immaf »

"I can't make Atlanta on the 31st of June" they might come back with "we will be in Tampa on the 33rd of September, would that be better for you?"
The time that I wasn't able to make my offered audition in Boston (because I had a family vacation planned) they asked "What about New York or Buffalo?" I chose New York, and I did subsequently get an invite to audition there, although there was no iron-clad promise that I would.

In other news, I am one of those who has not received a confirmation email yet. I emailed asking about it, but I used the "Jeopardy Contestant Search" email address that I saved from years ago. I hope it's still good. There isn't any other obvious way of contacting TPTB.
Teems with quiet fun.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote:As someone who has never taken the test before, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what happens if I happened to receive an invitation to an in-person audition but was not able to go (which, given the list of cities, would have a good chance of being the case). Would that affect my eligibility for the next test?
From what I've heard they are very accommodating if an audition needs to be rescheduled for whatever reason. If you email them at the address they provide when they give you the audition invite and you say, for example, "I can't make Atlanta on the 31st of June" they might come back with "we will be in Tampa on the 33rd of September, would that be better for you?"

(Note, this is all from what I've heard around here, and may get some details wrong. Feel free to correct, those who it's happened to.)
whatisbishkek - as Dave and others have said, there's a good chance, but no guarantee, they'll work with you on another city, but to answer the rest of your question, if you don't attend an audition in this cycle, regardless of whether you were offered one, you can take the next test.

Also perhaps they are going to have a "just for fun" button to select while you're logging in to take the test. I've always been curious how many people do that anyway - obviously lots of us boardies, but we're an atypical population. Maybe it is such a small number they don't feel like they need to sort them out in advance of audition invites anymore. Or maybe they're still totally flustered by the hacks and the test being late etc.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

The one time I couldn't attend and audition, they wouldn't allow me to go to any other city.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I received the email confirming that I am registered at 9:16 PM eastern time on March 30th. Now to hit the books.
No city close to me in audition sites so I had to go with Boston. Maybe a city closer will open up.
What are the chances of that happening? Anyone?
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I tried to register yesterday but didn't succeed. I filled out the first page (email address, password, user name, DOB), hit continue and received the "boilerplate" page of rules and condiions and then nothing. No acknowledgement or confirmation #.

I was never asked for my name, address, phone, nor was I asked to pick a test date or city.

So, I'm virtually certain I didn't successfully register. However, when I try to register again, I'm told that my email address and/or user name "is not unique" I can only assume that their system thinks it has a registration from my email address.

I've explained the situation and asked for advice (by replying to the email address advising me that registration was open -- it wasn't kicked back), but I have a feeling they're inundated with similar problems from lots of frustrated folks.

Any ideas, advice?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mrparadise wrote:I tried to register yesterday but didn't succeed. I filled out the first page (email address, password, user name, DOB), hit continue and received the "boilerplate" page of rules and condiions and then nothing. No acknowledgement or confirmation #.

I was never asked for my name, address, phone, nor was I asked to pick a test date or city.

So, I'm virtually certain I didn't successfully register. However, when I try to register again, I'm told that my email address and/or user name "is not unique" I can only assume that their system thinks it has a registration from my email address.

I've explained the situation and asked for advice (by replying to the email address advising me that registration was open -- it wasn't kicked back), but I have a feeling they're inundated with similar problems from lots of frustrated folks.

Any ideas, advice?
Best I could suggest is what I did, I tried to do the registration at first, saw I couldn't' enter my postal code so closed it before hitting submit, then had the idea to enter "99999" as my ZIP so went back to do it (note: the postal code problem was apparently fixed after this) only to get the "not unique" as well. I used a secondary address (I have 5 addresses that I use, at least) and a secondary username (well, just a small variant on the first one) and had no problem. The confirmation email was sent to my secondary account of course, which is one that I don't check as often because it's a spam collector (it's what I usually sign up for things with if I have any concerns there'll be spam, I change it later if my concerns are allieved) so hopefully if I get The Email I'll either have a way to change my email address to my primary one before that or I keep a closer eye out on my secondary, spam catching account.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

dhkendall wrote:
mrparadise wrote:I tried to register yesterday but didn't succeed. I filled out the first page (email address, password, user name, DOB), hit continue and received the "boilerplate" page of rules and condiions and then nothing. No acknowledgement or confirmation #.

Any ideas, advice?
Best I could suggest is what I did, I tried to do the registration at first, saw I couldn't' enter my postal code so closed it before hitting submit, then had the idea to enter "99999" as my ZIP so went back to do it (note: the postal code problem was apparently fixed after this) only to get the "not unique" as well. I used a secondary address (I have 5 addresses that I use, at least) and a secondary username (well, just a small variant on the first one) and had no problem. The confirmation email was sent to my secondary account of course, which is one that I don't check as often because it's a spam collector (it's what I usually sign up for things with if I have any concerns there'll be spam, I change it later if my concerns are allieved) so hopefully if I get The Email I'll either have a way to change my email address to my primary one before that or I keep a closer eye out on my secondary, spam catching account.

Thanks for that. I think I'll wait a couple days on the off chance I hear back from our J! friends, and try your suggestion if I don't.
Woof

Post by Woof »

For those of you who (like me) haven't received a confirming email, there is a feedback page for contacting J! staff:

https://www.jeopardy.com/communities/jeopardyfeedback/

I've tried that route to see if I can get some confirmation that I'm registered.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Silverfox wrote:I received the email confirming that I am registered at 9:16 PM eastern time on March 30th. Now to hit the books.
No city close to me in audition sites so I had to go with Boston. Maybe a city closer will open up.
When I registered yesterday after receiving an email about the test, I also saw no city close to me and had to pick Boston for my audition city as well.

I too am hoping for a closer audition city, preferably either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. I have family down in Pittsburgh and could put myself up with them if I get to audition in Pittsburgh.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:
Silverfox wrote:I received the email confirming that I am registered at 9:16 PM eastern time on March 30th. Now to hit the books.
When I registered yesterday after receiving an email about the test, I also saw no city close to me and had to pick Boston for my audition city as well.

I too am hoping for a closer audition city, preferably either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. I have family down in Pittsburgh and could put myself up with them if I get to audition in Pittsburgh.
Well, you are about two hours west of me and Boston is about an 8 hour drive from where I live, and thats if everything goes well and you don't stop to eat. I would say you are looking at about 575 miles one way.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Since they've only got one Midwestern city on their list, I was wondering if they are thinking of reviving the Brain Bus and doing a tour of cities in that part of the country-places that have never held an audition or haven't held one in a very long time. They could go to: Milwaukee Wisconsin, South Bend Indiana, Grand Rapids Michigan, (if they came there I'd definitely show up), Cleveland, Ohio (I saw a couple people mention wanting them to go there), Louisville KY, or wherever else they could get the bus to.

Bring back the Brain Bus!!!!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

KazooJ!fan wrote:Since they've only got one Midwestern city on their list, I was wondering if they are thinking of reviving the Brain Bus and doing a tour of cities in that part of the country-places that have never held an audition or haven't held one in a very long time. They could go to: Milwaukee Wisconsin, South Bend Indiana, Grand Rapids Michigan, (if they came there I'd definitely show up), Cleveland, Ohio (I saw a couple people mention wanting them to go there), Louisville KY, or wherever else they could get the bus to.

Bring back the Brain Bus!!!!
Don't forget to add Ann Arbor to that itinerary. There were so many competitors from the Ann Arbor area last season that Jenn McKee, the entertainment reporter for the local paper, spent half her time on Jeopardy! recap duty.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Although Ann Arbor would make a great stop (it's only a 2 hour drive from here-and I was born there) I think that the east side of the state gets too much representation on J!. We need more people from the western side of the state.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

It took over 24 hours to get an email confirmation of registration, but it finally came. Sony's IT department is continually unimpressive.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Username invalid on all browsers, oy.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

KazooJ!fan wrote:Although Ann Arbor would make a great stop (it's only a 2 hour drive from here-and I was born there) I think that the east side of the state gets too much representation on J!. We need more people from the western side of the state.
Yeah, but West Michigan has most of the state's top breweries. KBS!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:Username invalid on all browsers, oy.
Did you enter just the month and year (NOT the date) in that field?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012