Tuesday, January 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6987, 2015-01-20

CONTESTANTS
Rebeca Avila, a teacher from Arroyo Grande, California
Daniel Grigg, a beer wholesaler from Colorado Springs, Colorado
Nicholas Bérubé, an architect originally from State College, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $19,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On our program, folks, you don't have to get the Final Jeopardy! right in order to win the game. All you have to do is wind up with the most money at the end of the game. And that's been the case for Nicholas Bérubé, our champion. Missed Final Jeopardy! on two occasions--last Friday and yesterday, but had the most money. So he's back as the defending champion. Today, he faces Rebeca and Daniel. Welcome aboard. Good luck, here we go. This is the Jeopardy! Round. It's easier stuff...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURAL FIRSTS (3/3)
TYPES OF SALADS (5/5)
PROVERBIAL 4‑LETTER WORDS (4/5)
"A"CADEMY AWARD NOMINEES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SNEAKER BRANDS (5/5)
FISHY SCIENCE (5/5) (Sarah: Cutting-edge animal care from the research and conservation programs at the Georgia Aquarium.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nicholas: 13 R, 1 W
Daniel: 6 R, 0 W
Rebeca: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebeca found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Nicholas had $2,600, Daniel was scoreless, and Rebeca was at $800. Rebeca made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

"A"CADEMY AWARD NOMINEES $1000: 11 nominations, 1984; it won 8 Oscars, including Costume Design
(Rebeca: What is Titanic?)
(Alex: No.)
(Rebeca: Oh, it's not?)
(Alex: No, and you forgot--you forgot the category twice.)
(Rebeca: Oh, Lord!)
(Alex: The correct response has to begin with the letter "A" and that would be [*].)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nicholas: $3,200
Rebeca: $1,000
Daniel: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: She is from Arroyo Grande, California, now, but Teresa Avila was born in Colombia in South America.

Rebeca: That's right, Alex.

Alex: And has lived on how many continents?

Rebeca: On five continents. And granted, one was a semester abroad to Morocco, but that counts for Africa, doesn't it?

Alex: That counts for Africa, indeed.

Rebeca: Okay.

Alex: Now for the other continents, were you involved in the diplomatic corps, or in international business?

Rebeca: No, I taught--I'm an E.S.L. teacher so I taught English in Japan. There, it's E.F.L. but... and I studied in Europe.

Alex: Oh, all right.

Alex: Daniel Grigg is a beer wholesaler from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Now, we just talked about traveling with Teresa. You were once in Asia in Bangkok when you were much younger, but you got lost in the middle of the night?

Daniel: Uh, yeah, we flew in, uh, in the middle of the night and were supposed to catch the train up to Chiang Mai. Uh, there was no train. So we had to find accommodations. And then we had to find transportation. The only transport at that hour was on the back of motorbikes.

Alex: Oh, so we're talking about--Chiang Mai, we're talking about Thailand. So you were in Bangkok?

Daniel: Yes, that's correct.

Alex: Oh. But those motorbikes are a lot of fun.

Daniel: Oh, not at 3:00 in the morning.

[Laughter]

Alex: But there's no traffic to, uh, worry about. Makes it a lot better.

Alex: Nicholas Bérubé, one thing we've discovered in your two appearances on our program is that you seem to be very well prepared. And you had help.

Nicholas: I did, yes. Um, my little brother, Jamie, who's actually in the audience right now, he's over there, um, helped me, uh, especially with lists of painters and composers 'cause he's got that stuff, like, completely locked down and I'm a little iffy on it.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Nicholas: So, we just went through, uh, Baroque, um, Impressionists, all that stuff, so...

Alex: Is he gonna try out for the program, too?

Nicholas: He better, yeah, he better do it.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"A"CADEMY AWARD NOMINEES $400: Writing, 16 times, winning for 1977, 1986 & 2011

"A"CADEMY AWARD NOMINEES $600: Acting, 2012, for "Argo"
(Rebeca: Who is Jessica Chastain?)
(Nicholas: Who is Ben Affleck?)

PROVERBIAL 4‑LETTER WORDS $1000: A Russian proverb says, "Better a bed of wood than a bier of" this

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nicholas: $7,200
Daniel: $3,600
Rebeca: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BRIEF HISTORY OF MIME (4/5)
DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION? (1/1) (Alex: Name the state in which each reservation is located...)
ENTERTAINMENT (3/5)
DEAD POETS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Name the poet quoted in...)
SOCIETY (2/5)
CARPE "D.M." (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rebeca: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Nicholas: 7 R, 2 W
Daniel: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebeca snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Nicholas had $10,400, Daniel had $5,600, and Rebeca was at $2,400. Rebeca wagered $1,400.

DEAD POETS $800: "So glistered the dire snake, and into fraud / Led Eve our credulous mother, to the tree / Of prohibition, root of all our woe"
(Alex: [*], from Paradise Lost.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERTAINMENT $1600: This Australian hip-hopper used the pet name/street name system to come up with her rap name
(Nicholas: Who is Azealia Banks?)

ENTERTAINMENT $2000: In 2008 Mario Barth, perhaps Germany's finest comedian, broke this "Bring the Pain" man's record by playing to 68,000

DEAD POETS $400: "There was an old man in a tree, who was horribly bored by a bee"
(Rebeca: Who is Ogden Nash?)

DEAD POETS $1200: "A bird that stalks down his narrow cage can seldom see through his bars of rage"

A BRIEF HISTORY OF MIME $1600: The first Greek mime is said to have been Telestes, a dancer in "Seven Against" this city

SOCIETY $1200: This conservation group founded in 1905 supports & maintains more than 100 wildlife sanctuaries & nature centers
(Nicholas: What is the Sierra Club?)
(Rebecca: What is the World Wildlife... Association?)
(Alex: No, you were thinking of the World Wildlife Fund. It's the [*]. Less than a minute to go now, Rebeca.)

SOCIETY $1600: In 1832, this three-named newspaper editor founded the New England Anti-Slavery Society

SOCIETY $2000: The Ebenezer Society, established in New York in 1843, moved to this state & changed its name to Amana
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nicholas: $12,000
Rebeca: $8,600
Daniel: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LAST WORDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Nicholas: Wager $5,201 to cover Rebeca.
Rebeca: You ought to wager to cover Daniel, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $8,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,400 (to shut out Daniel) or less than $1,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Daniel). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Nicholas.
Daniel: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $800), you might try betting $2,601, playing for a win if Rebeca tries to two-thirds Nicholas (though, from this position, a wager of all $6,000 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Rebeca to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1170 he said, "I am ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace"

FINAL SCORES
Daniel: $6,000 + $6,000 = $12,000 (Who is Beckett?) (New champion: $12,000)
Rebeca: $8,600 - $3,500 = $5,100 (Who is St. Thomas?) (3rd place)
Nicholas: $12,000 - $5,400 = $6,600 (Who is Thomas Aquinas) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nicholas: $12,000, 20 R, 3 W
Rebeca: $8,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: $6,000, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Nicholas: 20/58 = .345
Rebeca: 12/60 = .200
Daniel: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SNEAKER BRANDS $600: The logo of this brand is seen here

SNEAKER BRANDS $1000: The first syllable of the name of this running shoe brand is pronounced like something else you wear on your foot
[Applause for Nicholas's run of the category]

FISHY SCIENCE $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Georgia Aquarium.) If an aquarium vet suspects an abscess or an unseen injury, a thermography camera looks for a difference in this just below the skin's surface

FISHY SCIENCE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Georgia Aquarium.) This machine can tell us that a stingray is pregnant & image the vertebral columns of the unborn young

FISHY SCIENCE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Georgia Aquarium.) Tricaine methanesulfonate is anesthesia given in water for fish pre-surgery; it's closely related to this drug from a South American plant, but in more ways than one, the fish won't get hooked

FISHY SCIENCE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Georgia Aquarium.) Maintaining water quality is key when a fish first enters quarantine to match temperature, salinity & this measurement; a fish fresh from the ocean would be used to a level between 8.0 & 8.4
(Alex: [*] is right with less than a minute to go now.)

FISHY SCIENCE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Georgia Aquarium.) Used to remove small tumors, the radio surgical instrument not only cuts through tissue, but simultaneously prevents blood loss by doing this to vessels

PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURAL FIRSTS $800: This first inaugural poet wrote "Dedication" for the occasion but recited "The Gift Outright" instead
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CARPE "D.M." $800: High-stepping leader of the pack seen here

CARPE "D.M." $1600: Grim reminder of Beethoven from 1827

DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION? $400: Hopi & Gila Bend
(Daniel: What is New Mexico?)

DEAD POETS $2000: "If called by a panther / don't anther"
(Rebeca: Is that [*]?)
(Alex: It is.)
(Rebeca: That was a question.)
(Alex: You phrased it in the form of a question.)
(Rebeca: I did.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Amadeus
Woody Allen
Alan Arkin
gold
(John) Milton
Iggy Azalea
Chris Rock
Edward Lear
Maya Angelou
Thebes
Audubon Society
William Lloyd Garrison
Iowa
St. Thomas Becket
New Balance
Saucony
temperature
sonogram (or ultrasound)
cocaine
pH
cauterizing them
(Robert) Frost
a drum major
a death mask
Arizona
Ogden Nash
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Last Words
In 1170 he said, "I am ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace".

Spoiler
Who is Thomas Becket? Rebecca said St. Thomas; Nicholas said Thomas Aquinas.

Nicholas Berube: $12,000-$5,400=$6,600
Rebeca Avila: $8,600-$3,500=$5,100
Daniel Grigg: $6,000+$6,000=$12,000...now a 1-day champion with $12,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Rebecca wins the prize for the most nervous contestant we've seen in a while.

FJ was an instaget for me, thanks to the year given in the answer. I was surprised no one said Thomas Moore the way things were going.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Rebeca/Teresa - take a deep breath. for the viewer's sake at least. i wish i had been drinking something so i could have spat it out when she said "titanic".

i am incensed we only got to see one clue in the reservation category.

no clue on FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Green or Wedge salads, but I got the other 3 salads.

Lach Trash: Woody Allen.

4/5 in Sneakers, which is 4 more than I thought. Only miss was Saucony; only barely heard of them, so I didn't know how to pronounce them, and repeating "sock" was getting me nowhere.

I think Alex should've reminded Rebecca on the "A"cademy category after she forgot the first time around. But then again, she thought Titanic was released in '84, and I WAGged Aliens, so my guess was only marginally less idiotic.

What led to "Temperature" in Fishy for $200 or "Cocaine" at $600?

I thought "bed of wood/bier of gold" was extremely obscure. Anyone get that? Wouldn't mind polling that.

Walking Dead has a comic series?!? I was 0/5 there.

Iggy Azalea and Maya Angelou were frustrating misses. I knew both of them, but was having a total blank on both.

I thought Edward Lear was super-duper undervalued at $400, especially with Poe and Nash further down.

Awkward edit on Audobon. Why no rebound after Rebecca negged?

Best get for me today: "comedia dell arte". No idea where I got that from.

No guess on FJ! NHO Thomas Becket.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said Aquinas as well, but my disappointment was mitigated by knowing we won't be subjected to "Theresa" tomorrow.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CONTESTANT COORDINATORS:

We rely on you to keep people like Rebecca off the show. Long-winded, scatterbrained, can't keep the categories straight. Engages in dialog with AT. These are all things that should disqualify someone from being a contestant. I find it hard to believe that at her audition you thought she might be the next Jackhammer Julia.

/end rant

That was just a tragedy that four geography clues got left on the board. Bad, bad, bad.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Bamaman wrote:I think Rebecca wins the prize for the most nervous contestant we've seen in a while.
Not as quite as nervous as Val from January 6, who was very visibly nervous as seen by her shaking hands throughout the game.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2571
floridagator wrote:That was just a tragedy that four geography clues got left on the board. Bad, bad, bad.
I was suprised only 1 (or 2?) clue was left at the end of J! Without a doubt your sentiment is echoed about the unrevealed clues in DJ!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I wondered why Alex said Rebeca's name was Teresa (twice), but then he explained a little later that he had misspoken. I was surprised when Rebeca forgot the category name not once, but twice, in the Academy Award Nominations "A" (or whatever the title was) category. I had 37 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Edward Lear, National Audubon Society, and Iowa. I didn't get FJ.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

President- 3; Salad- 4; Pro 4- 1; "A"cademy- 4; Sneaker- 3; Fishy- 1
History- 3; Reservation- 1; Enter- 2; Dead- 3; Society- 1; D.M.- 3

Lach Trash: "Woody Allen", "Amadeus- DD", "Maya Angelou", "William Lloyd Garrison"

Saw 1170 and went right to Becket without reading the rest of the clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I liked her. I thought she was engaging and human. Nothing wrong with that (except for not getting to all the clues).

After I was sure More was the wrong year I finally settled back on Becket.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Same sentiments here. ..I didn't see Rebecca as nervous. She seemed like happy to be here kind, didn't make for good show.
Will be surprised if champ repeats tomorrow.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I immediately started rooting against Rebecca when she said Titanic on that first round DD. Although I probably would've done it anyway because of her unnecessary excessive talking throughout the game. The DJ! board probably would've been cleared if she had been quieter.

Also, I couldn't help but chuckle at the "brief history of mime" category. :lol:

Instaget FJ, although I debated between Becket and Thomas More.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Leander

Post by Leander »

I will admit she drove me a little nuts, but I like contestants like Rebecca who bring a little personality to the game.

Instaget FJ based on the date, but I would never have thought Becket had any last words before being killed.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Did anyone else think this clue had to do with the crusades and trying to maintain peace in the Holy Land? I guessed Richard the Lionheart because I was pretty sure it was about the crusades and tried to come up with someone who is famous for involvement in the crusades.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

If you haven't seen Becket with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole, yall are missing out. Absolutely fantastic movie.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I knew the date was important, but couldn't come up with the right name. I said John Wycliffe, though he came along a little later.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:I liked her. I thought she was engaging and human. Nothing wrong with that (except for not getting to all the clues).
Same here. I especially liked "Is that Ogden Nash?"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I had no guess for FJ.
Pre called FDR at the commercial break: "I have a terrific headache." Then I thought it might be more timely for the occasion to be a William Henry Harrison clue.

I was thinking Rebecca would have no chance to win the way she cowarded at that DD in the second round. Then she made a suprising run to prevent a big lead by Nicholas.
I'm going to be interested to see the game dynamics graph on this game. It seemed like Nicholas just did not like that board, as he quieted right down for most of DJ.
I contend if he was in control of the board instead of Rebecca, (the guy in the middle didn't ring in much either) we could have seen all the clues in that round.

If she would have ended up with less than $6000, I wonder if Nicholas would have wagered $0 for a tie-breaker with middle podium.