Friday, January 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, January 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

I'm wondering if this was the last game before a bit of a break in filming, not only the last Wednesday game, but maybe they had the following week off too? Reason I suspect that is not only were the two challengers both southern California people (making me think they were the alternates called in), but also having a "hodgepodge" category in there makes me think they were burning through some leftover clues and tying up loose ends before break. And of course having a "break" for us too (Karen won't be back for two more weeks) helps as well.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

pinkfreud wrote:
econgator wrote:1) Cate clearly said "diptherius" -- it's diptheria.
2) A BMS on Perry? Michael Dean was still in college at the time, so it clearly couldn't have been him.
To be nitpicky on one of my pet-peeve words, it is "diphtheria."
You must also be picky about diphthong and ophthalmologist. I corrected a senior linguist on the former. (She was a highly-compensated professor, but apparently not a cunning linguist.)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I believe goatman is referring to the definition of a Watt.
Surely you're familiar with this Johnny Carson sketch with Carson playing President Reagan and one of the Mighty Carson Art Players as chief of staff James Baker III.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2IdZSuP0kA

Reagan (into a speakerphone): Would you send in Jim Baker please?
(Jim Baker walks in.)
Baker: 'Morning Mr. President.
Reagan: Well, good morning, Jim, just sit down.
(Baker does.)
Baker: Your press conference is scheduled to begin in an hour, so we only have a short time for me to brief you on the kind of subjects the press may throw at you.
Reagan: Well, now, the environment is on their minds, I'm sure they'll ask me about my Secretary of the Interior.
Baker: Watt.
Reagan: I said, I'm sure they'll ask me about my Secretary of the Interior.
Reagan: Jim, I just told you I think they'll ask about my Secretary of the Interior.
Baker: James Watt. You're scheduled to go swimming with him tomorrow morning at the Y.
Reagan: Where?
Baker: Y.
Reagan: Y.
Baker: That's right. With Watt.
Reagan: With Watt, I don't even know with who, Jim.
Baker: Not Hu, Watt.
Reagan: Well, now, let's get this straight. I'm going swimming tomorrow with who?
Reagan: Where?
Baker: Y.
(about 10 seconds of applause.)
Reagan: Let's go on to the Middle East now, I'll need the first name of the head of the PLO, that Arafat guy.
Baker: Yassir.
Reagan: I said I'll need the first name of the head of the PLO.
Baker: Yassir.
Reagan: Jim, it's nice of you to be polite, but what is his name?
Baker: No, sir, Yassir.
Reagan: Well, you're giving me two different bad answers, Jim. What is his name?
Baker: No, sir, Yassir.
Reagan: Well, now, I asked you what is the first name of the head of the PLO, and you tell me no, sir.
Baker: That's right.
Reagan: Then you tell me, yes, sir.
Baker: Absolutely. You got it.
Reagan: I got what?
Baker: He's the Secretary of the Interior.
Reagan: Jim, I don't understand why you're doing this to me.
(phone rings. Jim answers it.)
Baker (to person on phone): Oval office, Baker. Yes? You have the head of the Republic of China calling for the President. Premier Chung Dung Hu. Hold on.
(to Reagan) Mr. President, Hu's on the phone.
Reagan: Well, now, Jim, I don't know. Who's on the phone?
Baker: That is correct.
Reagan: What's correct?
Baker: No, he's your Secretary of the Interior.
Reagan: Now Jim, let's just start all over here, very quietly. Just tell me, Jim, who is on the phone?
Baker: Hu is on the phone.
Reagan: Who?
Baker: Yeah, sir.
Reagan: That Arafat guy is on the phone, Jim?
Baker: No, sir, Hu is.
Reagan: What?
Baker: Swimming...
(simultaneously, Reagan frustrated) Tomorrow morning at the Y.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

lieph82 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Oh. OK. But 'watt' isn't an SI term.

Brian
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Just because it's not an SI base unit doesn't mean it's not an SI unit.
The only meaningful SI unit is DD.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Vanya wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

My post refers to Watt-Sec the definition of Joule, an SI term. I didn't want to Spoiler it by blabbing HORSEPOWER!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_second
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

goatman wrote:
Vanya wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

My post refers to Watt-Sec the definition of Joule, an SI term. I didn't want to Spoiler it by blabbing HORSEPOWER!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_second
I fear you missed Vanya's (quite witty) joke. See, e.g., Upton, Kate.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

If you have not watched the Carson video, do it now. I laughed out loud!
Went 5/5 in "D" briefing and "Y.D>" do it. Loads of fun in those two categories.
21 correct in J and 18 in DJ. I also got FJ. Only horses seemed right to me.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I fear you missed Vanya's (quite witty) joke. See, e.g., Upton, Kate.
Gotta admit: I still don't get it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I fear you missed Vanya's (quite witty) joke. See, e.g., Upton, Kate.
Here's an additional hint for you: SI is also an abbreviation for Sports Illustrated. What is the most famous annual issue of Sports Illustrated?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:
Here's an additional hint for you: SI is also an abbreviation for Sports Illustrated. What is the most famous annual issue of Sports Illustrated?
Yeah, I figured it was a boob joke of some sort, but just wasn't making the SI connection.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yeah, I figured it was a boob joke of some sort, but just wasn't making the SI connection.
Since when Is DD a "unit" in that context??
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Cate Hollenbeck reminded me of Molly LaLonde.

I was distracted by the "he" in FJ. I thought for a second that they wanted a person's name.

There was a Firesign Theater sketch where a rock music promoter goes into a newspaper office to place an ad for an upcoming concert festival. The bands are The Who, Guess Who and Yes. Eventually the newspaper advertising guy gets frustrated and tells the promoter to just write down the names of the bands. The promoter says,"If I could write, why would I steal this joke?"
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote:
econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:
It's like pants or scissors. Having just one is pretty useless, so it makes more sense to think of the pair as a single unit.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

davey wrote:
econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:
It's two units :) .
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was doubly correct on the FJ! clue by knowing it was horses and predicting a guess of steam engine. When Alex was going to Karen for her response my thought was, "Oh come on, this can't really go 0/3 can it?" No and good. That was a nice end to the week and will make the return of regular play have something extra to it with a champ going for a third win on Presidents Day.
Alex pretty much spoiled that someone was going to get the final by "guessing" that the winner is going home with a lot of money. He's never wrong with those "guesses".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Caboom wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I was doubly correct on the FJ! clue by knowing it was horses and predicting a guess of steam engine. When Alex was going to Karen for her response my thought was, "Oh come on, this can't really go 0/3 can it?" No and good. That was a nice end to the week and will make the return of regular play have something extra to it with a champ going for a third win on Presidents Day.
Alex pretty much spoiled that someone was going to get the final by "guessing" that the winner is going home with a lot of money. He's never wrong with those "guesses".
I think it's more a case of that there were large scores going in to Final; Alex likes it when people make large wagers (he's not a Wagering Viking, he just knows what makes good tv); large pre final total + large wager = "somebody's going home with a lot of money".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

dhkendall wrote:
Caboom wrote:
I think it's more a case of that there were large scores going in to Final; Alex likes it when people make large wagers (he's not a Wagering Viking, he just knows what makes good tv); large pre final total + large wager = "somebody's going home with a lot of money".
Perhaps, but I believe there's also a lot of evidence that he sees the answers before they're revealed, so it seems unlikely to me he would make that comment if nobody gets it right and the winner ends up with 6k.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Caboom wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Perhaps, but I believe there's also a lot of evidence that he sees the answers before they're revealed, so it seems unlikely to me he would make that comment if nobody gets it right and the winner ends up with 6k.
Or maybe it's just an f'ing easy FJ and he guesses? At least we haven't heard 'the player who's going to win this game is the one who finishes with the most dollars' because that would be Maddening...
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

El Jefe wrote:
Caboom wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Or maybe it's just an f'ing easy FJ and he guesses? At least we haven't heard 'the player who's going to win this game is the one who finishes with the most dollars' because that would be Maddening...
Well how can he guess if/when he knows the results before they're revealed (and like I said, there's a lot of evidence for this over time)? Or are you implying that for easy FJ's he closes his eyes and doesn't peak at the players' answers to keep things interesting? :lol: