Tuesday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tueday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion(SPOIL

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:I think the dearth of TSes and wrong answers came from the players not clueing in to the category "STATELY rivers".
There was no dearth of them in that category!

Alex's wager was certainly weird, but I think she was going for the maximum (to a fault) Venusian wager: $12,200 - $3,401 = $8,799, while Justin's $16,600 - $7,801 = $8,799 as well. Either that, or she intended to bottom out at $8,801 and accidentally added the dollar to her wager instead of subtracting it. Ken's wager has me scratching my head more; semi-arbitrary wagers with 01 at the end do that to me.

After briefly trying to brainstorm animals who have sports named for them (fly fishing?) and getting nowhere, with gryllidae providing no help, I started brainstorming world sports, and cricket was the first to come to mind. I was sure it would be a triple get, and I said goodbye to Paul. Sorry, Paul!

Well, this is probably three seasons in a row whose premieres had a future ToCer. Not a record, though: Isaac Segal, Bernie Cullen, Dan Melia, and David Bagley were in the season premieres of 1995, '96, '97, and '98 respectively. Unless I'm in error about Isaac and the first regular game of season 12 was not the premiere.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by kingskip »

I will be getting the Season 12 Premiere from 9/4/1995 soon and will post it on RuTube so hopefully someone with the archive will add it.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

An average game to watch. I was happy to pick up the Lach Trash on George Smiley. FJ was an instaget. I interpreted "popular world sport" as suggesting that it might not be popular in the U.S. (otherwise I think they might have just written "popular sport").
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:as I believe the Tennessee River dips into Alabama not far from Montgomery.)
It gets close to Hunstville, but doesn't come within 175 miles of Montgomery.

Beat me to it.

Yes, the Tennessee dips down into northern Alabama, but not that far. The area inside the river south of Tennessee is known as the Tennessee Valley. The area makes up about an entire congressional district, of which Alabama has seven, to give you an idea of its size.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote:

For FJ "squash" came to me instantly and I never considered anything else because I was so confident that I was correct. Oops.
If you didn't just HAPPEN to know what the taxonomic name referred to (I certainly didn't...how could anyone unless he's a biologist?) all you had to go on was looking for the name of a sport that also happens to be the name of a living organism. No clue that I could see whether it was even plant or animal.

Cricket was the only thing I came up with, but squash is an excellent miss as it is both a game and a living organism. Wrong, but certainly going down the right alley....
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

As per Horatio Hornblower, I said navigator. Judges? IMHO, it wasn't a good literary character to pick because his job was multifaceted and changed over the course of the novels. Thus, any number of responses could've been accepted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

heisman65 wrote:As per Horatio Hornblower, I said navigator. Judges?
Acceptable.
OldSchoolChamp

All in the family

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

John Boy wrote:If you didn't just HAPPEN to know what the taxonomic name referred to (I certainly didn't...how could anyone unless he's a biologist?) all you had to go on was looking for the name of a sport that also happens to be the name of a living organism. No clue that I could see whether it was even plant or animal.
Actually, you can tell it’s an animal by the form of the name (Gryllidae). The ending -idae marks it as a taxonomic family of the kingdom Animalia. By comparison, squashes belong to the plant family Cucurbitaceae (which also includes melons and, as the name suggests, cucumbers). No, I didn’t know that off the top of my head; I looked it up. But the point is, even without knowing it in advance, the ending -aceae tips you off that it’s a family of plants and not of animals.

We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: All in the family

Post by Wimple »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
John Boy wrote:If you didn't just HAPPEN to know what the taxonomic name referred to (I certainly didn't...how could anyone unless he's a biologist?) all you had to go on was looking for the name of a sport that also happens to be the name of a living organism. No clue that I could see whether it was even plant or animal.
Actually, you can tell it’s an animal by the form of the name (Gryllidae). The ending -idae marks it as a taxonomic family of the kingdom Animalia. By comparison, squashes belong to the plant family Cucurbitaceae (which also includes melons and, as the name suggests, cucumbers). No, I didn’t know that off the top of my head; I looked it up. But the point is, even without knowing it in advance, the ending -aceae tips you off that it’s a family of plants and not of animals.

Oh well SURE - IF you knew your endings ahead of time! (Another bitter "squash"-ed person here).
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

alamble wrote: I thought Hal LInden was the only truly obscure clue in the cat, mostly because the actor more commonly identified with Barney Miller (at least in pop culture) is Abe Vigoda, thanks to his place as a seemingly regular victim of celebrity death hoaxes.

Not to me. I watched BM during my teen years and knew Hal Linden instantly, although I remember him more for ANIMALS ANIMALS, ANIMALS (late 1970s Saturday morning show from the creators of SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK).
John Boy

Re: All in the family

Post by John Boy »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:

Well there you go. I wasted all my practice time on presidents, Oscars, and bodies of water. Clean overlooked taxonomic suffixes.

:?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:I think the dearth of TSes and wrong answers came from the players not clueing in to the category "STATELY rivers".
Dearth? Am I thinking of the right category? I thought it was rife with misses!

ETA: see seaborgium got there first.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Honestly, I was very surprised that triple stumpers occurred in Stately Rivers. In fact, that's rather depressing. The clues were very good at hinting the answers, and the Delaware River being $1000 was overvalued. Yes it is a trick question there, but that wasn't that hard. There is no such thing as the New Jersey River, unless Henry Hudson got shafted or Arthur Kill was renamed without my knowledge.

Personally, that was my problem with the category, and the results it garnered.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
alamble wrote: I thought Hal LInden was the only truly obscure clue in the cat, mostly because the actor more commonly identified with Barney Miller (at least in pop culture) is Abe Vigoda, thanks to his place as a seemingly regular victim of celebrity death hoaxes.
Not to me. I watched BM during my teen years and knew Hal Linden instantly, although I remember him more for ANIMALS ANIMALS, ANIMALS (late 1970s Saturday morning show from the creators of SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK).
Near the end of and after his years as Barney Miller, he did a lot of those short daytime informational spots called FYI, for which he won a few Daytime Emmys. Nominated seven times for Barney but never won.
In and out of the pool four times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Easy board for me too...I'm gonna crash hard, I know it. (43/1...better ratio than yesterday, but lower Coryat. :roll: )

Rivers was too easy, although I fell for Missouri instead of Arkansas. (If someone said Missouri before me, I'd've gotten it on the rebound.)
Just barely missed pulling the trigger on Grand Coulee Dam, but picked up Grand Canyon Suite. Picked up Roark too (saw the movie, never read the book. Who would guess Gary Cooper could play a plank of wood as well! Lou Gehrig, Alvin York, Will Kane, Pine Board. Versatile actor right there.) Cricket was instant.

Glad I'm not the only one going "buh?!" to the scores. While I can't say what would be perfect, those just did not feel right to me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
There was no dearth of them in that category!
Paucle wrote:Dearth? Am I thinking of the right category? I thought it was rife with misses!
Apologies, I often use that word in the wrong context, am aware of this, and try to avoid it, but in the process, have remembered the wrong definition as the right one. Now I have to rewire my brain to get it right again. If my posting seems more off than usual, it's because the rewiring is in progress.
Is squash a "popular" world sport? Probably less so than cricket, but would it be considered on the "popular" list? (I suppose moreso than, say, quiddich, but where is the line drawn? A bit of research (read: half-assed Wikipedia check) says that neither are Olympic sports (although squash may be in future and cricket was once, in 1900))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

The writers are easing their way into this season... This was a silly easy game; I was over $50,000 with four clams (one and three) and a single miss (was there anything that led to woolly mammoth rather than mastodon?), and the FJ was a gimme. By the way, thanks to Prof OSC for the taxonomic research. Didn't think to do it myself, but it's good to know, and it will be easy to keep on file.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:(was there anything that led to woolly mammoth rather than mastodon?),
Looked at the clue, little Wikisearching, looks like a 50/50 between mammoth and mastodon. (In fact, "Woolly Mammoth" might also suffer from TMI syndrome, as all I've found says it's out of 'mammoth' ivory...genus, as opposed to species.) Both were around during the time the statue was dated, mastadon fossils have been found in Germany, like mammoths (where the statue was found, that's bonus info right there, not part of the clue).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

chuck5982 wrote:For those of you who recorded the game, go to the end of the game where Johnny says "Promotional consideration provided by...", and it looks like Justin wants to shake Alex's (the contestant) hand, and she is refusing????
If I am remembering my own 9/20 taping experience correctly, the contestant coordinators asked the contestants to wait to congratulate each other until after the new extra after-game promotional bit was completed. There may have been some confusion about that.