Tuesday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tueday, September 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion(SPOIL

Post by alamble »

I rarely comment on wagering strategy, because frankly my feeling is, it's fake money for the most part and therefore who really cares how the contestants manage it, but wow, them's some bad wagers. Not to mention an absurdly easy FJ! question, though of course it's impossible to divine such when making the wager.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Grats to Justin on the likely ToC spot!

The board felt easy again. Last season started off the same way.

For FJ "squash" came to me instantly and I never considered anything else because I was so confident that I was correct. Oops.

I had said that if Justin qualified for the ToC then he would probably get Christopher Short's spot for the bottom spot in the gold group. After these two games I have changed my mind; Justin is silver, or maybe even bronze. He left some money on the board that he shouldn't have in these last two games, but I would still by no means count him out.

The first ToC that I watched where I was following the show really closely was 2004, and I have not even come close to being as stoked for a ToC as I am the upcoming one.
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

Another pretty easy board, with a Coryat of $30,200. And that includes saying "Grandfather Clock" for the musical clue in Grand.

For a category that should be wheelhouse, I only got the $200 in TV Title Characters.

I was surprised that "sailor" was accepted for Hornblower.

I was more surprised the players left the 1 vowel category for last.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Name's The Same
Name shared by a popular world sport & a member of the Gryllidae family.
Spoiler
What is cricket?
Justin Sausville: $16,600+$7,801=$24,401...now a 4-day champion with $101,201
Alex Liteplo: $12,200+$3,401=$15,601
Ken Herrera: $10,000+$6,801=$16,801
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Would anyone believe me if I said that when I saw Gryllidae family I thought that it was referring to a character name from Harry Potter? I immediately recognized that it looked similar to Gryffindor and guessed that it was going to be the name of some minor character from the books. Luckily cricket also came immediately to mind as a world sport that could also be a person's first name, and I instantly convinced myself that Cricket Gryllidae was a female character created by J.K. Rowling. If I had been appearing on this episode of Jeopardy!, I would be glad that we don't have to "show our work" in Final Jeopardy!

As to the wagers, yeah, very curious. It actually appeared as if both Alex and Ken made a math error, as it would make some sort of sense that each was trying to get to $16,601, but Ken was $200 too high while Alex was $1,000 low. Not that $16,601 was really a sensible score for either to shoot for, but there is at least plenty of precedent for 2nd and 3rd place players aiming to top the leader's pre-FJ score by $1.

I caught Justin's mistake in saying the Wayans Brothers, rather than the Wayans family, so I wasn't surprised that they negged him before the FJ clue reveal. Interesting that the score correction likely didn't cost him any money, as I had assumed that he would bet enough to reach $24,401 before the correction, and he ended up at that same score after it, not like yesterday where he may have lost about $10,000 by (in my opinion) being unfairly negged on his late Daily Double response.

What would have been interesting had the correction not occurred, is that his likely FJ wager would have been $6,201, and if he responded incorrectly but still won, his 4-day total would have been $88,799, leaving him in 12th place in the TOC standings, a mere $5 behind Buddy Wright.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

The TV characters category was a bit harder than usual for TV questions, I thought.
FJ wasn't instaget, but I arrived at "cricket" with plenty of time to spare. The wagers were a bit headscratching, especially Alex's.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of squash.

I said Hornblower was a seacaptain. Judges?
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Did anyone notice that after FJ, Justin offered his hands to the woman in the middle, and she completely ignored it. (Not that she didn't notice it, it looked more like she saw it and deliberately did not take it.) Not cool, man.

Saw both last nights and tonight's shows just now. Justin's definitely growing on me. (He's a little doofy, but likeable. And you don't win 4 games and make the ToC just by luck.)

My stepson came up with cricket before I did - about 10 secs in when I was still running through popular sports (football, soccer, rugby... and then he came up with it.)
alamble

Post by alamble »

Suze wrote:The TV characters category was a bit harder than usual for TV questions, I thought.
FJ wasn't instaget, but I arrived at "cricket" with plenty of time to spare. The wagers were a bit headscratching, especially Alex's.
I thought Hal LInden was the only truly obscure clue in the cat, mostly because the actor more commonly identified with Barney Miller (at least in pop culture) is Abe Vigoda, thanks to his place as a seemingly regular victim of celebrity death hoaxes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:Not to mention an absurdly easy FJ! question
Says you. :oops:

I read "popular world sport" my mind translates as "soccer", and I couldn't get past sports with big balls (settle down, we're all adults here). About 3/4 of the way through the music, as I'm frantically going through sports, I think "gee, this would be a lot easier if I knew what the order Gryffindor was". :oops:
Bamaman wrote:I said Hornblower was a seacaptain. Judges?
I said "naval captain", I see no reason to neg either of our responses, they were more correct than (Justin's?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alamble wrote:
Suze wrote:The TV characters category was a bit harder than usual for TV questions, I thought.
I thought Hal LInden was the only truly obscure clue in the cat, mostly because the actor more commonly identified with Barney Miller (at least in pop culture) is Abe Vigoda, thanks to his place as a seemingly regular victim of celebrity death hoaxes.
For those of us over 40, Hal Linden was an instaget.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:I said "naval captain", I see no reason to neg either of our responses, they were more correct than (Justin's?)
While I wouldn't neg either response, I certainly wouldn't call it "more correct". He started off as a Midshipman, then made Lieutenant, Commander, (Post) Captain, and finally Admiral. So, any of those ranks is just as correct as any of the others. Personally, I'd still put his occupation as either "sailor" or "British naval officer".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I ran the TV category, but I agree it was a step up from usual difficulty for the first round. What I couldn't do was solve the FJ clue in time. I have no idea how long it would have taken for the wicket not to be sticky, but in 30 seconds I struck out. Football, soccer, lacrosse and field hockey all being wrong put me in panic mode. I tried brainstorming olympic events and got nowhere. It go so bad I thought about hockey and tried to make it some kind of "eye" like a fish.

If cricket had occurred to me I would have locked it in as somewhere I have come across the gryllidae term. During think time I couldn't place it.

Was it necessary for the writers to include Kim in the Wayans clue? I could have told them during the production meeting it was possible for a player to blurt out Wayans brothers and blow the clue. Justin had to be negged, but it's not all his fault. It's fortunate the game didn't turn on that.

The applause/handshake segment is not one where I can say Alex was being a poor sport to Justin. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she chose not to do it while the camera showed the two players because it was during a portion when she felt the players had been instructed to applaud. Justin was in his fourth game and knew a handshake/hug whatever was fine at the point. Alex was in game one and did not want to do anything improper.

Alex definitely saw Justin's hand outstretched. That can't be denied. I'll guess proper congratulations happened and we didn't see it.

Justin's swing story gave me a chuckle. I'll take the fifth on my age for the last time I did stunts on playground swings other than being older than 25. Other than sand where it's no fun to have it I never in all my years had any kind of injury no matter how crazy the stunt. Justin seems to be running out of stories for Trebek if that one was day four.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote:
alamble wrote:
For those of us over 40, Hal Linden was an instaget.
I'm 34, and it took me a few seconds to pull the name, but admittedly, I watched a lot of what might be considered "grown-up" TV when I was a kid.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Granted, the Arkansas and Alabama Rivers aren't among our better known ones, but given that the clues mentioned Little Rock and Montgomery, they shouldn't have been triple stumpers.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

For those of you who recorded the game, go to the end of the game where Johnny says "Promotional consideration provided by...", and it looks like Justin wants to shake Alex's (the contestant) hand, and she is refusing????
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Justin's swing story gave me a chuckle. I'll take the fifth on my age for the last time I did stunts on playground swings other than being older than 25. Other than sand where it's no fun to have it I never in all my years had any kind of injury no matter how crazy the stunt. Justin seems to be running out of stories for Trebek if that one was day four.
Hearing his story definitely reminded me of this classic moment from Mythbusters.
Bamaman wrote:Granted, the Arkansas and Alabama Rivers aren't among our better known ones, but given that the clues mentioned Little Rock and Montgomery, they shouldn't have been triple stumpers.
I think the dearth of TSes and wrong answers came from the players not clueing in to the category "STATELY rivers". (Sometimes, if it's obvious the contestants missed the TOM in the category after a few answers, Alex reminds them to mind the category. I always yell at my screen at that point, as that's helping them a bit too much imho.) Never heard of the Alabama river myself, but at least I minded the category and got myself a well-deserved perfecto in that category (although the erroneous "Tennessee River" answer to the Alabama clue made me sweat a little, as I believe the Tennessee River dips into Alabama not far from Montgomery.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:as I believe the Tennessee River dips into Alabama not far from Montgomery.)
It gets close to Hunstville, but doesn't come within 175 miles of Montgomery.