Tuesday, February 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7002, 2015-02-10

2015 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Hack, a high school Latin teacher from Cape Charles, Virginia
Kate La Rivière-Gagner, a fifth and sixth grade teacher from Starksboro, Vermont
Jennifer Giles, a third grade teacher from Longmont, Colorado

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. With Adam's win on yesterday's program, talk has now begun about the possibility of a beard-off in this year's final, because, tomorrow, we have a bearded contestant coming. We have Eric here today. With regard to tomorrow, we're trying to get the lady to shave, but...

[Laughter]

Alex: Jennifer --don't underestimate the women. Jennifer and Kate, good luck to you. And to you, too, Eric. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round today. And today, we have these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WINDOW TO THE WORLD (4/5)
FOOD & DRINK (5/5)
PREFIXES (5/5)
THE NAME OF THE BOARD GAME (5/5)
CELEBRITY SIBLINGS (5/5)
AMERICAN HISTOR-"E" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 12 R, 1 W
Kate: 7 R, 1 W
Eric: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jennifer had $1,400, Kate had $1,000, and Eric was at $600. Eric wagered $1,000.

AMERICAN HISTOR-"E" $800: Its construction began in 1817 & took advantage of the Mohawk River Gap in the Appalachian Mountains
(Eric: I don't know.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jennifer: $2,000
Kate: $1,400
Eric: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: On yesterday's program, we were talking about teachers who didn't start out as teachers. That applies to you, Eric. You were thinking of a career as a stand-up comic?

Eric: Yeah, until I realized I wasn't funny.

Alex: Oh!

[Laughter]

Eric: And then I went into teaching.

Alex: What else might you--have appealed to you at that time?

Eric: Well, I don't really have any life skills, so--practical life skills--so teaching was it. No--I guess I get along well with people and I know some stuff, so teaching was it.

Alex: Aha. Okay.

Alex: Kate, you have an interesting teaching technique, I hear. It's called "keep 'em guessing".

Kate: Yes, and it's very effective. I find that if you go heavy on the routine side but throw in a surprise every once in a while, you can really keep kids engaged. And, one afternoon, I was really maxed out and I just couldn't get another literacy lesson out. So I brought out two giant buckets of engineering toys and I just said, "Go make something that moves." And they still talk about it.

Alex: Good. What did they make?

Kate: Oh, my God. Chariots, horses, all kinds of motorized stuff.

Alex: Okay. Way to go.

Kate: Yeah.

Alex: Jennifer Giles from Longmont, Colorado. Now, what's this little trick you pulled on a couple of your students, getting them to combine their money to do what? Buy you a book?

Jennifer: It was no trick, Alex. We were at the book fair and looking at different books. We were studying rocks and minerals at that time. And there happened to be a great book with mineral samples in there. And I put it on my wish list and went out to recess. And couple minutes later, the two kids came out boldly brandishing the book to bring it to me for my classroom.

Alex: And they were two of your students?

Jennifer: Two of my students, not even friends. They just decided to pool their money and do that for me in the classroom.

Alex: That shows how much they like and respect you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WINDOW TO THE WORLD $800: Looks like a crisp, clear day in the neighborhood called Old this city, its country's second-largest
(Eric: What is St. Petersburg?)
(Kate: What's Moscow?)
(Alex: No. Jennifer's not going to try to ring in. Oh, she is?)
(Jennifer: What is Prague?)
(Alex: No, you're all in the wrong part of the world. That's [*], Canada's second-largest city.)

AMERICAN HISTOR-"E" $1000: Congress passed this act in 1807 to deal with abuses to U.S. shipping by England & France
(Alex: And the "E" this time comes up in [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jennifer: $6,200
Kate: $3,400
Eric: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHEMICAL ELEMENT PAIRS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FEMALE AUTHORS (5/5)
BACK PACS (3/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE NARRATORS (5/5) (Alex: Name the actor for us.)
ENDS WITH 2 VOWELS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Kate: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jennifer had $7,800, Kate had $3,400, and Eric was at $1,200. Jennifer wagered $2,000.

CHEMICAL ELEMENT PAIRS $1600: The 2 that were discovered by the Curies
(Jennifer: What are radium and curium?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Jennifer had $6,200, Kate had $3,400, and Eric was at $2,000. Eric wagered $500.

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1200: Hokusai's painting "The Great Wave" graced the cover of the first edition of this Debussy work's sheet music
(Eric: I don't know.)
(Alex: What is [*]. "The Great Wave", [*]. The sea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHEMICAL ELEMENT PAIRS $800: The first 2 transuranium elements

CHEMICAL ELEMENT PAIRS $2000: The first two metals, they're the two that are missing from the table

CLASSICAL MUSIC $2000: In 1953 this asst. conductor of the N.Y. Philharmonic became the first American to conduct at La Scala
(Eric: Who is Irving Berlin?)

ENDS WITH 2 VOWELS $2000: One of the main characters in the opera "Rigoletto" is the duke of this city
(Alex: Two vowels coming up in [*].)

BACK PACS $400: In 1944 the first political action committee sought funds for this president's re-election
(Eric: Who is Truman?)
(Kate: Who is Eisenhower?)
(Alex: 1944 -- [*].)

BACK PACS $1600: Lawrence Lessig's Mayday PAC reached a $5 million goal in this "Big Group" online way
(Kate: What's Donors Choose?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jennifer: $14,200 (lock game)
Kate: $6,600
Eric: $5,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Jennifer: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kate: Wager $5,201 to cover Eric.
Eric: Risk between $701 and $4,500, covering Kate's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Winner of a Tony for Best Musical, it culminates with an induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $5,900 - $0 = $5,900 (What is Billy Elliot) (2nd place)
Kate: $6,600 - $6,600 = $0 (What is Rock of Ages?) (3rd place)
Jennifer: $14,200 + $200 = $14,400 (What is Jersey Boys?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jennifer: $16,200, 21 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: $7,400, 16 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Kate: $6,600, 12 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jennifer: 22/59 = .373
Eric: 16/60 = .267
Kate: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WINDOW TO THE WORLD $200: Is that thing lopsided? Or did I have one too many cocktails?

WINDOW TO THE WORLD $400: Outside our window we have a view of this old city

WINDOW TO THE WORLD $600: I feel safer watching from inside the goings-on in this city
[Alex: Running of the bulls, yes.]

WINDOW TO THE WORLD $1000: Across the water is this South African landmark -- pull up a chair!

CELEBRITY SIBLINGS $600: These siblings come from a film-making family
(Jennifer: Who are, uh, Jake -- who are [*]?)

CHEMICAL ELEMENT PAIRS $1200: Symbols Os & Ir, they are the 2 densest naturally occurring elements
(Eric: What osmium and iradium?)

CLASSICAL MUSIC $800: This Verdi opera was inspired by a plot from French Egyptologist August Mariette
(Eric: What is [*] ["AY-duh"]? A-I-D-A? I don't know how to pronounce it.)
(Alex: [*] ["eye-EE-duh"]. That's all right.)

ENDS WITH 2 VOWELS $1600: Seen here, it's Florida's state marine mammal

MOVIE NARRATORS $2000: "The Princess Bride"
(Alex: [*], yes, reading the story.)

FEMALE AUTHORS $800: Author of more than 200 works, Nora Roberts was the first inductee of the Hall of Fame for writers of this genre
(Eric: What is children's literature?)

BACK PACS $800: PACs must register with the FEC, short for this
(Kate: What's the Federal Elections Commission?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Erie Canal
Montreal
the Embargo Act
radium and polonium
La mer
neptunium and plutonium
lithium and beryllium
Leonard Bernstein
Mantua
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
crowdfunded
Jersey Boys
the Leaning Tower of Pisa
Jerusalem
Pamplona
Table Mountain
the Gyllenhaals
osmium and iridium
Aida
a manatee
Peter Falk
romance
Federal Election Commission
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Broadway Musicals
Winner of a Tony for Best Musical, it culminates with an induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Spoiler
What is Jersey Boys? Kate said Rock of Ages; Eric said Billy Elliot.

Jennifer Giles: $14,200+$200=$14,400
Kate La Riviere-Gagner: $6,600-$6,600=$0
Eric Hack: $5,900-$0=$5,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am shocked, just shocked, that the contestants didn't recognize Montreal. Moscow and Prague the 2nd largest cities in their countries?

LOL at Eric for guessing Irving Berlin as assistant conductor of the NY Philharmonic. LOL, Berlin couldn't even read music.

We think of tournaments as high-level events, but these teachers are untested except for last week's quarter-finals, which turned into a crapshoot because of lousy betting in at least three games. This gives the teachers' tournament more of an "anything-can-happen" dynamic.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Looks like this episode is getting preempted in Detroit for the State of the City Address. Anybody in the Detroit area know if they are going to re-air this episode?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

floridagator wrote:I am shocked, just shocked, that the contestants didn't recognize Montreal. Moscow and Prague the 2nd largest cities in their countries?

LOL at Eric for guessing Irving Berlin as assistant conductor of the NY Philharmonic. LOL, Berlin couldn't even read music.

We think of tournaments as high-level events, but these teachers are untested except for last week's quarter-finals, which turned into a crapshoot because of lousy betting in at least three games. This gives the teachers' tournament more of an "anything-can-happen" dynamic.
See, putting aside their pitiful showing with the chemistry category, I stopped caring after that FDR clue. I knew that guy was gonna say Truman, I could just feel it, but...Eisenhower???!?! I'm not perfect, I'm sure I miss plenty of clues that most here would consider gimmes, but when a clue tries to give away free money by asking them who was president in 1944, and it's a TS with two wrong guesses, forget it.

Got FJ with maybe 3 seconds to spare.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Nice win by Jennifer. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Leonard Bernstein, "lithium and beryllium", Franklin D. Roosevelt, and crowdfunded. I also got the missed DD of Erie Canal. I'm surprised that none of the contestants could come up with FDR as the response to that one clue. I got FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Looks like this episode is getting preempted in Detroit for the State of the City Address. Anybody in the Detroit area know if they are going to re-air this episode?
How long does it take to say "we're screwed"? You won't miss the show. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Window (3), Food (0), Pre (3), Board (5), Sibling (4), History (5)
Element (2), Female (4), Pac (3), Music (1), Narrator (5), 2 Vowels (4)

Lach Trash: "Embargo Act", "Erie Canal- DD", "neptunium and plutonium", "FDR"

I said Dreamgirls very quickly, but it was not to be. Hit and miss with Broadway musicals for me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Embargo and Mantua cost me the run of those categories, but I ran Board Game.

Oddly, $200 was my only miss in Prefix. I had "mil-" but just couldn't turn it into "milli-" in time.

0/5 in Female Authors, Classical Music, Movie Narrators, and Celebrity Siblings. All were way over my head.

How the hell was FDR a triple stumper?!

I precalled "that dude who narrated March of the Penguins" in Narrators but still couldn't remember his name when it actually came up.

No guess on FJ, and can't say that I recognize the title.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote:We think of tournaments as high-level events, but these teachers are untested except for last week's quarter-finals, which turned into a crapshoot because of lousy betting in at least three games. This gives the teachers' tournament more of an "anything-can-happen" dynamic.
At least Jennifer has performed worthy enough to win from a lock in both of her games. I was astonished that she failed to get the double rebound on FDR though. I wonder if she just clammed because (feeling the sting) she got burned earlier on the Montreal clue when she threw away the gift of both opponants negging.

Eric just fumbled badly for most of the game. Made his quarterfinal win appear to be a fluke against two weak players.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I got Jersey Boys pretty easily after about 10 seconds of untangling the wordy clue.

Interesting that one of the wrong guesses was the answer of a DD in the category: Broadway Musicals By Song, from Eric's quarterfinal game
Spoiler
Rock of Ages
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Rock of Ages is nasty negbait.

But being in the NYC area, this was a pretty easy get.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

"Donny Darko" is one my favorite movies, but I blanked on Jake's sister's name the same way Jennifer did. Happy to see her recover nicely after remembering first names were not necessary.

I always remember "La Mer" because it was the first thing we listened to in a class on 20th century music.

Alex started to say "Remember they..." after Jennifer missed the DD, but didn't finish. Presumably would have been something like "... were natives of Poland."
Leander

Post by Leander »

corvo wrote:Rock of Ages is nasty negbait.

But being in the NYC area, this was a pretty easy get.
I was expecting to see someone guess Beautiful, which I thought was bigger negbait than Rock of Ages.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cosmos wrote: Alex started to say "Remember they..." after Jennifer missed the DD, but didn't finish. Presumably would have been something like "... were natives of Poland."
Marie was Polish, but her husband was French.

No chance for me on FJ.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Yup FDR is a bad miss.
floridagator wrote:I am shocked, just shocked, that the contestants didn't recognize Montreal.
Not sure what the distinguishing feature in the picture was - I couldn't get it too. Just looked like any other city (as compared to pisa, etc.)

FJ category is tough for me - glad to put 'rock of ages' (although I don't think I have heard of it before last week's games). Was wondering if writers would do that in a tournament...hmm.

Kudos to those who got FJ!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

"He was president in Year X" should be an instaget for most players. When the year is during a major war, there should be no excuse for missing it. I also knew he was going to guess Truman when he started hemming and hawing. At least he was close, Eisenhower was even worse. I guess the one who stayed clam was either equally stumped or she just got confused with the other guesses and forgot the year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I thought Jennifer was the favorite in tonight's match going in and Alex sealed it with his opening remarks about a beard-off.

Irving Berlin! Sometimes I can predict incorrect guesses by the contestants. Other times they come out of left field and are great for entertainment purposes.

The FJ! clue was an Alex solve for me, otherwise known as a miss. Rock of Ages was my guess to have something on the paper although having seen the movie I felt all but certain it was wrong. After time was up Alex gave a hint that allowed me to solve it too late.

I have not seen the Eastwood movie, so I have no way of knowing if that could have saved me. The category did have me sensing the right track as my instincts told me it would be on the current side of being on Broadway.

Last week I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue as well, so I hope the pattern will hold up to get the W-F clues.

Jennifer once again bet from a lock position. Curious, I looked at the TOCs to see if it was common or rare for it to happen in the semis:

Tom Nissley
Bill MacDonald
Robin Carroll
Steve Berman
Brian Wangsgard
Bob Verini
Chuck Forrest
Jerry Frankel

were the ones I spotted doing it on a quick search.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

doihavetoreally wrote:Not sure what the distinguishing feature in the picture was - I couldn't get it too. Just looked like any other city (as compared to pisa, etc.)
I was in Montreal just 18 months ago and I didn't get it. Once I knew what I was looking at, I could see some things I recognized, but nothing that jumped right out at me.