LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by alietr »

This will be for any discussion of LL Season 64. Remember: No comments about the current day's questions.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Bump for question discussion.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anybody else get Elvis thanks to his date of birth being mentioned on Tuesday's show?
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Was very tempted to say Arlo Guthrie, but the birthday reference saved me.

Some very interesting results in A Metro yesterday, especially considering how LL63 ended.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody else get Elvis thanks to his date of birth being mentioned on Tuesday's show?
I submitted, then watch Jeopardy. As soon as Elvis came up, I knew he would have been in my mind and I would have gotten it. I went with Arlo. The father looked kinda like Woody. Plus I didn't associate Elvis with a hit in 1971.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Anybody else get Elvis thanks to his date of birth being mentioned on Tuesday's show?
I submitted, then watch Jeopardy. As soon as Elvis came up, I knew he would have been in my mind and I would have gotten it. I went with Arlo. The father looked kinda like Woody. Plus I didn't associate Elvis with a hit in 1971.
I went with Arlo even though the father didn't look much like Woody to me. I missed a golden opportunity to be able to say "I beat Brad Rutter" when I had a major brain cramp and said Gladwell instead of Gladstone. Still, a tie with Brad ain't nothin' to sneeze at :mrgreen:
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Yes! After 1 day, I am tied for the lead in all of LL for MCWs (4) and tied for last in all of LL for defense (.000). I lost 5(2)-2(1). On 2 of my misses, I (figuratively) coin-flipped between the MCW and the correct answer and lost. Have never seen that album cover, but now looking at it, I see Elvis.
Sheepin' it real.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote:
My problem was I don't associate Elvis as being an album artist. To me, he's a singles-era guy. So I would never have associated him with an album cover. The best I could come up with was Harry Chapin (thinking that might have been a reference to Cat's in the Cradle).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Didn't see Tuesday's J! (my DVR decided it didn't want to update its guide...fortunately I caught it in time to record Agent Carter but not J!...) so for me it came down to a flip between Elvis and Dylan. Not sure why I picked those two, just felt right. Unfortunately... stupid coin.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I went with Dylan. As soon as I saw the answer I realized Elvis made more sense. No way Bob Dylan was that cute as a child.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

B-Horizon is the Canada rundle! Currently 7 of the top 10 in the rundle list their location as Canada.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was Dylan, but I didn't think he was quite that old. (Born 1941). Then I thought of Guthrie, but couldn't remember if Woody was the kid or the dad. Then I thought the dad had died recently in his 90s, and might have been too young to have a child in 1935. Then I saw yesterday's show and when they said Elvis was born in 1935, I was safe and it got me a tie.

Today I remembered it was Pete Seeger who recently died. Woody Guthrie died in 1967 at the age of 45. Arlo was born in 1947.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
Same here. I submitted in the morning, then watched J! and channeled GOB Bluth with a "COME ON!" I chose Elvis initially, but then switched my answer because one of his most striking features was his blue eyes and the baby in the picture appeared to have brown eyes. I ended up going with James Taylor, thinking that it might have been the cover to Sweet Baby James.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I submitted before watching as well, but I knew Elvis' birth year going in (part of the reason I got it when I watched). Problem was, I didn't bother calculating the math, instead I reasoned this way: "35 years old in 1971. Well, I was born in 1972, and my parents were around 30 when I was born (my dad turned 29 the month before, my mom turned 29 a few weeks after), therefore it's probably someone my parents are/were into." They do like Elvis (their big musical preference is the 50s type), but, like others, I didn't really associate Elvis with 1971 (possibly because of my parents, I associate him more with the 50s and 60s, but I'm aware that a lot of people do merely because his biggest hits were from then) so discounted him anyways. Had I done the math I *might* have got there (provided I could accept him as a 1971 musician.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I related my story of how I got Elvis on the LL message board and I got a p-mail from someone saying I should delete my message because had just admitted to cheating. I wrote her (I looked up the person's profile and is listed as female) back and said I didn't think it was cheating, since I did not actively seek out the information.

Should I be concerned about this. I'm sure the admins there monitor the message boards and I don't want to get flagged for cheating, but this seems to fall under incidental research.

The person who wrote me is in the A Rundle, if that matters.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:since I did not actively seek out the information.
That's fine for TD's. Not so much for LL.

Basically, you can only use the info in your brain at the moment you first read the question. If you get some relevant info later in the day that helps to inform your answer, then you must skip that question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:

Basically, you can only use the info in your brain at the moment you first read the question. If you get some relevant info later in the day that helps to inform your answer, then you must skip that question.

I was not aware of that rule,, had never happened before.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

econgator wrote:

I have seen much debate on this over on LL, with the Commisioner seeming (IMO) to come down on the side of "whatever your conscience says" regarding the coincidental exposure to an answer during the course of the day.
Sheepin' it real.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Woof wrote:... when I had a major brain cramp and said Gladwell instead of Gladstone.
I got the other half right with Livingstone (I presume).

Also, I thought the dad looked a lot like Hank Williams, so I went with Hank Williams, Jr. (a little on the young side, b. 1949)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The MCWA of "Winston Churchill" was pretty awful for the Disraeli question. At least my wrong guess of Peel was in the correct century! :)