Curtis Warren

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Curtis Warren

Post by legendneverdies »

Curtis Warren is known for winning $1.4 Million on Greed, plus $100K+ on $ale of the Century, and competing on WBSM and losing on J!. The J! archive lists him as having appeared on the 1/8/86 episode. GSN is currently showing his 11 show run on $ale(syndicated version), and it is believed the shows airing now came from January 1986 originally, and his first appearance aired on 1/7/86(his third show aired today from 1/9/86). Seemed odd he'd get away with appearing on two game shows scheduled to air the same week. Unless J! made him forfeit his consolation winnings(IIRC he lost on J!) because of his $ale appearance
MarkBarrett

Re: Curtis Warren

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:Curtis Warren is known for winning $1.4 Million on Greed, plus $100K+ on $ale of the Century, and competing on WBSM and losing on J!. The J! archive lists him as having appeared on the 1/8/86 episode. GSN is currently showing his 11 show run on $ale(syndicated version), and it is believed the shows airing now came from January 1986 originally, and his first appearance aired on 1/7/86(his third show aired today from 1/9/86). Seemed odd he'd get away with appearing on two game shows scheduled to air the same week. Unless J! made him forfeit his consolation winnings(IIRC he lost on J!) because of his $ale appearance
Perhaps the syndicated Sale of the Century version did not have enough reach around the country for the J! powers to worry about it? I was at the taping for Rocky Brown vs. Curtis Warren on Friday, December 20, 1985, so that show was fast from taping to airdate.

Curtis did lose his only appearance on J! Yes, strange to have someone on two shows in such a short period of time. I put in the small portion I had for the J! archive. Perhaps I have the date wrong although I must have had some hint where to put it.

Did J! always have a few extras in the daily taping pool to complete a taping day? If not, they found out Curtis was not eligible and let him play any way? Seems unlikely. Track him down online and ask. Where's Ahir? He used to live for that kind of stuff.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Was he the air traffic controller with Mozart hair?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote:Was he the air traffic controller with Mozart hair?
Same guy, yes, but he was just out of the military and was not as wild in his appearance at the time:

legendneverdies

MarkBarrett wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Curtis Warren is known for winning $1.4 Million on Greed, plus $100K+ on $ale of the Century, and competing on WBSM and losing on J!. The J! archive lists him as having appeared on the 1/8/86 episode. GSN is currently showing his 11 show run on $ale(syndicated version), and it is believed the shows airing now came from January 1986 originally, and his first appearance aired on 1/7/86(his third show aired today from 1/9/86). Seemed odd he'd get away with appearing on two game shows scheduled to air the same week. Unless J! made him forfeit his consolation winnings(IIRC he lost on J!) because of his $ale appearance
Perhaps the syndicated Sale of the Century version did not have enough reach around the country for the J! powers to worry about it? I was at the taping for Rocky Brown vs. Curtis Warren on Friday, December 20, 1985, so that show was fast from taping to airdate.

Curtis did lose his only appearance on J! Yes, strange to have someone on two shows in such a short period of time. I put in the small portion I had for the J! archive. Perhaps I have the date wrong although I must have had some hint where to put it.

Did J! always have a few extras in the daily taping pool to complete a taping day? If not, they found out Curtis was not eligible and let him play any way? Seems unlikely. Track him down online and ask. Where's Ahir? He used to live for that kind of stuff.
ON WABC NY at the time, J! aired at 4PM EST followed by syndicated $otC at 4:30PM. It'd have been noticed by people in NYC who watched both shows no doubt. Mark Leinwand who was in the 1986 J! TofC was an early champ on Press Your Luck and a big Tic Tac Dough winner in the 1979-80 season. Tic had a TofC with the top eight winners to that point in the show's run playing for charity which aired over six shows in November 1983. Mark's PYL run aired in October 1983.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is that the same wife who was pregnant on his million dollar win on Greed?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Was he the air traffic controller with Mozart hair?
Same guy, yes, but he was just out of the military and was not as wild in his appearance at the time:

He was pretty sharp! I Googled him & he was on Win Ben Stein's Money but he didn't do well. I never met him but some of my colleagues did.
legendneverdies

GSN will not air syndie $ale after 3/27, replacing it with SHop TIll You Drop. The last undefeated champion on the syndicated $ale, Lisa Munoz, will not be seen on GSN. Her run aired originally 2/24/86-3/10/86, as someone just posted her first show from 2/24/86 on their Youtube page, as taped off WABC.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

As far as the timing, all I can say is that is definitely a 1986 Camaro on the stage (only year with third brake light on top, outside of glass). So that means taping was at least September 1985.

In the first show of this run, Jim said something about him making a previous appearance where something happened that may have affected the game, so Curtis was brought back.

This could be why he was on both. It may have something to do with taping schedules and at the time of J! taping, he didn't know he would be returning to SOTC. The eligibility rules of J! at the time may have also been different from today, plus the show wasn't quite the juggernaut it is today.

Personally, I think the current eligibility rules are a little too strict, but of course that is the decision of those employed by Sony. Usually, the test is given in early February. If someone has appeared on a game show in the year prior to taking the test, they are not eligible. So if someone appeared on even something such as Let's Ask America in March of 2012, they can't take the test in February of 2013, even though their earliest J! appearance would be September 2013 and could be as late as July 2014--two years, 4 months after their appearance on a little show not every market has.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
legendneverdies

triviawayne wrote:As far as the timing, all I can say is that is definitely a 1986 Camaro on the stage (only year with third brake light on top, outside of glass). So that means taping was at least September 1985.

An earlier post here says they taped syndie $otC episodes aired in January 1986 on 12/20/85, It's possible Curtis was first on the daytime version and then brought back.