Friday, February 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cosmos »

I was thinking a prism might be described as an "everyday spectrometer" to determine the spectrum of an object. Using a light filter (singular) to determine the color of a swatch? I could not imagine that. Maybe three filters, like the red, green, and blue ones in a digital camera, to give a set of numbers that describe the color. Way too much thought wasted on such a simple, but wordy, clue.

Jose's terrible guess of October 1st could have cost him the game if things had gone a little differently. It can't be the first of any month because that would include weekends. And there's a movie (based on play of same name) called "First Monday in October" to help remember it.

Woody Allen coming up pretty regularly. In case of war, he's a hostage. :D
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. Bradbury has the Curiosity landing site named for him on Mars. J loves F-451. Just loves it. Over and over again.
This was a twist, with TOM pointing from the documentary title, not given, by Michael Moore. If you saw it, you win...

48R; LT: Shamash "Not in the Bible" = Mesopotamian sun-god; not many TS in this game, cleared the Boards and played pretty darn well. Agree Jose will likely last. 8-)

Fun Gets:
Spoiler
Stare Decisis in 1973 > Roe V Wade; Marbury v Madison provided precedent for USC jurisdiction over Constitution; Roberts clerked for Rehnquist; King Philip Came Over For Good Snuff = Kingdom / Phylum / Class / Order / Family / Genus / Species, seven elements! Lysol 1889; Barbasol 1919; Ricola from Laufen, Schweitz; Typhoid Mary Mallon; Amenhotep, Atreyu = 'Not in the Bible.'

Leningrad (Petersburg) > Hermitage; Volga = Main st of Russia; Leek > Wales; King John > Magna Carta; Frida Kahlo > Diego Garcia (also Trotsky!); Shakra > Wheel; energy nodes.

Teased out Grant from "That Fateful Lightning," drawn from lyric in Battle Hymn of the Republic; "He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword."
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Please stick to baseball, Evan.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My dad thought maybe Richmond conflated the Apennines with the Pyrenees. Tough break for him, but he would have had to wager $400 or less on the DD to have had a chance in FJ, and getting it right only would have made Jose's total $6,000 higher.

For several weeks now I've been getting either 2, 4, or 5 FJs right per week. After going 2/4 this week, I thought about mentioning that in Thursday's thread so I could jinx myself into getting tonight's right. Guess I didn't need to, since I knew of Bradbury's beef at the time it was going on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I correctly guessed Shamash for the $1000 in Bible thinking it was not a person and the helper candle. Whatever works.

Anyone have NYT archives and search-fu to find Jose's front page first grade class picture?

The FJ! category had me going for wishful thinking with Stephen King/Maximum Overdrive or King unhappy with the Kubrick version on The Shining. For non-King I thought about Nora Ephron writing and directing. It turned out my Kubrick precall was on the right track with an author unhappy with a filmmaker.

On the quick read of the clue my mind went to Bowling for Columbine for a Michael Moore documentary. It was less than two seconds to shift gears to the correct film for 2004 and Bradbury as the author of the original work was not something that would steer me wrong.

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 in a packed opening day matinee theater (sat on the far right) and it sure was a lively crowd reacting to all the typical Moore jabs. Sicko three years later had half the crowd and was a much more quiet experience.

Looks like the poll will have to have a box for getting to the novel, but having the wrong author.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

legendneverdies wrote:A recent $100K question on WWTBAM asked who won an Oscar in the year between two people who refused theirs.
Nice one. Would that be the same actor who played Lex Luthor in Superman? His girlfriend was played by Valerie Perrine, a former stripper who played Montana Wildhack in Slaughterhouse-Five. Man I miss the 70's! Save Hackensack!

Here's the TPH Ed-Thread with those two other guys.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

grindcore wrote:There was a Bernice in the bible?
Yeah, but she doesn't have any lines.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 in a packed opening day matinee theater (sat on the far right)
Come on, Mark. We all know there wasn't a far right anywhere near the place.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

grindcore wrote:Appenees? Oof. Tough break for Richmond.
So was General Grant.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Insta on final; I've got a signed copy of Fahrenheit 451 from when Ray Bradbury showed up to a, at the time, local to me B&N in the late 90s. (Simple trade paperback...mom didn't want to splurge on the fancy anniversary hardback when we found out about the signing and they were (of course) sold out on the day of.)

He smelled like beer and pizza.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Instaget FJ and I was absolutely toasted. C'mon son, Fahrenheit 451 is un classico. Words words words.

Jose looked like a very strong champion this game -- definitely wouldn't be surprised at all if he got the wins necessary to get into the ToC.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Bradbury =Fahrenheit 451 is something I know in my sleep. But I forgot all about Fahrenheit 9/11, and I'm not sure I ever heard of any actual problems between Bradbury and Moore. I couldn't think of the names of any of Moore's films. Oh well.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
42 R/4 W;
DD: 2/3;
FJ: Instaget, but then I spent 30 seconds debating. "It was Bradbury, right? Not Chandler? Bradbury or Chandler, Bradbury or Chandler? Chandler wrote The Big Sleep, right? Detective stories. It's gotta be Bradbury, doesn't it?"
LT: in vitro, Appenines (DD)
C: Barbasol
Too Late: Rhiannon

Random thoughts: Just as with "vamp" yesterday, I had never heard of the alternate definition of "clout." I managed to go stone blank on Anne Boleyn while naming off every one of Henry VIII's other wives. There's an Aquila in the Bible, huh? Must be one of the New Testament Roman converts or something. I'm really glad that the Appenines came up on Daytime J! this week.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

trainman wrote:Please stick to baseball, Evan.

I guess Evan Longoria and Eva Longoria are the same thing, then, amirite?
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
trainman wrote:Please stick to baseball, Evan.

I guess Evan Longoria and Eva Longoria are the same thing, then, amirite?
If I had Twitter, I would tweet him that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

debramc wrote:Bradbury =Fahrenheit 451 is something I know in my sleep. But I forgot all about Fahrenheit 9/11
Yeah, same. The only ones I could remember were "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine."
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Add me to the list of people who knew Fahrenheit 451=Bradbury, but didn't know what film the clue was referring to. I made a WAG that I can't even remember.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

They must have changed the definition of 'documentary' while I wasn't looking. I was under the impression that a documentary was made up of documented facts. Luckily for me, the clue did not mention the word.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
debramc wrote:Bradbury =Fahrenheit 451 is something I know in my sleep. But I forgot all about Fahrenheit 9/11
Yeah, same. The only ones I could remember were "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine."
I was "lucky" in that I both forgot about Fahrenheit 9/11 and forgot who wrote Fahrenheit 451, so I used up two "things that will make me get FJ wrong" on one day--unfortunately, it was a day that cost me a 5/5 week.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Bowling for columbine and sicko for me. Knew it was another movie in between but couldn't land on F911. Will never know if would have linked to F451.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!