Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7017, 2015-03-03

CONTESTANTS
Erin Summers, an actuary from Reno, Nevada
Alvin Chin, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey
Thomas Phillips, a graduate student originally from Greenville, Alabama (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, everyone. No matter who won yesterday's show, they were gonna go home with a lot of money. But Thomas had the most money. All three players came up with the correct response in final, but he picked up over $25,000 for just that one half-hour's work. Alvin and Erin, could happen to you, too. Good luck. here we go. Jeopardy! Round is the first round of play. Today, we feature these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CARTER FAMILY (5/5) (Alex: Think politics, not music.)
SNAKES (5/5)
BOB RHYME (5/5)
STATE CAPITAL HEADQUARTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALL THINGS GOLDEN (5/5)
ICE DANCING (4/5) (Meryl Davis: I'm Meryl Davis.) (Charlie White: And I'm Charlie White. We're the first Americans to win an Olympic gold medal in ice dancing.) (Meryl: We're going to take you inside the world of...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Thomas: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Erin: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Alvin: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Thomas found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Thomas had $1,800, Alvin was scoreless, and Erin had nothing in the bank. Thomas made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

STATE CAPITAL HEADQUARTERS $600: 3M

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Thomas: $7,400
Erin: $2,800
Alvin: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: On Jeopardy! we often hear from our contestants about interesting and exciting marriage proposals. Erin Summers, you have a story.

Erin: Yes, my boyfriend at the time, Adam, took me to Disneyland, and in front of Cinderella--or Snow White's wishing well, we made a wish, and then we walked away, and we came back later, and he said, "I wanted to see if my wish came true", and he pulled out the ring and proposed to me right there.

Alex: Hello. [Chuckles] And you guys have been together now how long?

Erin: 15 years.

Alex: 15 years. Good for you.

Alex: Alvin Chin is a tutor from New Jersey. He's a cat lover. Has two of them.

Alvin: That's right. I've got two cats, Raleigh and Charlotte. And I built them a cat fort out of boxes, interlocking labyrinth that's connected, and they can scale it to almost the ceiling and walk around the house.

Alex: And what do you call this construction of yours?

Alvin: I call it the Kitadel.

Alex: The Kitadel.

[Laughter]

Alex: I hope your cats have a sense of humor, too.

Alex: Thomas Phillips is our champion. He's a graduate student. We heard yesterday that he had that little encounter. He ran into the pope quite by accident. You have a habit of running into famous people. You ran into our First Lady in a different location.

Thomas: I did. I was serving in the Peace Corps in the Republic of Georgia, and we had a town hall with the Georgian First Lady and with Laura Bush, and I got to meet both and pose for a photograph with the Georgian First Lady.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ICE DANCING $400: (Meryl Davis and Charlie White deliver the clue.) We were longtime fans of "Dancing With the Stars" before we competed on it;
in fact, this "DWTS" pro and multiple winner of the show's Mirrorball trophy helped choreograph our short program for Sochi

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Thomas: $10,400
Erin: $7,200
Alvin: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CROSS (4/5)
WOMEN AUTHORS (4/5)
GEOGRAPHIC ETYMOLOGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRIPLE TALK SONGS (4/5)
OH "NO"! (5/5)
DRUNK HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erin: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Alvin: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Thomas: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Thomas had $11,600, Alvin had $1,000, and Erin was at $9,200. Erin wagered $3,800.

GEOGRAPHIC ETYMOLOGY $1200: Making up 2 Spanish provinces, they get their name from Latin for "islands of dogs", & the "dogs" may have been seals

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alvin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Thomas had $10,800, Alvin had $7,800, and Erin was at $15,800. Alvin wagered $7,500.

DRUNK HISTORY $1600: This U.S. artist's 1945 marriage to Lee Krasner was a stabilizing factor he needed against his drinking

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEOGRAPHIC ETYMOLOGY $2000: This country's name is from the Slavicized Turkish phrase "on ogur", which referred to the tribes who settled there

THE CROSS $2000: As well as having this type of muscle, a bishop wears this type of cross, on a special chain
(Thomas: What's a crucifix?)

WOMEN AUTHORS $2000: Appropriately "The Finishing School" was the final novel by this author of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"

TRIPLE TALK SONGS $2000: In this 1999 hit Destiny's Child complains, "You're slowly making me pay for things your money should be handling"
(Thomas: What is "Say My Name, Say My Name, Say My Name"?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Erin: $23,400
Alvin: $16,100
Thomas: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Erin: Wager $8,801 to cover Alvin.
Alvin: You ought to wager to cover Thomas, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $16,100. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,900 (to shut out Thomas) or less than $1,500 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Thomas). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Erin.
Thomas: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $4,600), you might try betting $6,101, playing for a win if Alvin tries to two-thirds Erin (though, from this position, a wager of all $10,000 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Alvin to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only state name that can be typed using the letters on only one row of the standard keyboard

FINAL SCORES
Thomas: $10,000 - $6,101 = $3,899 (What is Georg) (3rd place)
Alvin: $16,100 + $16,000 = $32,100 (What is Alaska?) (New champion: $32,100)
Erin: $23,400 - $9,000 = $14,400 (What is Conn) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Erin: $20,800, 24 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alvin: $10,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Thomas: $8,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $39,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Erin: 24/59 = .407
Thomas: 18/59 = .305
Alvin: 14/59 = .237
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STATE CAPITAL HEADQUARTERS $200: Coca-Cola
[Applause for Thomas' running the category.]

ICE DANCING $600: (Meryl Davis and Charlie White deliver the clue.) The hot ticket at the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo was the final free dance in ice dancing;
that's when this British pair performed to Ravel's "Bolero", earning a gold medal and 9 perfect scores for artistic impression, a feat that has never been duplicated

ICE DANCING $200: (Meryl Davis and Charlie White deliver the clue.) Ice dancing was once a social sport in which top-hatted men parade on the ice with ladies in long dresses;
the skaters incorporated elements of ballroom dancing, like this elegant dance from Vienna

THE CARTER FAMILY $800: In 1977, Jimmy's office had this visitor seen here

ALL THINGS GOLDEN $1000: In Exodus 32 he fashions a golden calf
(Alvin: Who is Moses?)
(Alex: [*], his brother.)
[Laughter because Erin answered a clue about [*].]

ICE DANCING $800: (Meryl Davis and Charlie White deliver the clue.) In 2014, we skated to music by a great Russian composer, Rimsky-Korsakov;
we used this symphonic suite in which I assume the title role of a sultan's wife who spins stories to entertain her husband

ICE DANCING $1000: (Meryl Davis and Charlie White deliver the clue.) A key move is this traveling turn done on one foot;
the judges are watching for us to put the other foot down at the same time

THE CROSS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents images on the monitor.) The crux immissa is traditionally symbolic of the cross of Jesus; the crux decussata symbolizes martyrdom, specifically of this saint, who felt himself unworthy of crucifixion on Christ's cross

OH "NO"! $800: A referee's 2-word ruling that a boxing match doesn't count
(Thomas: What is a no decision?) [Originally ruled incorrect, ruled correct before Final Jeopardy]

THE CROSS $800: Descanso is a Southwestern name for a cross usually seen here as an informal memorial
(Thomas: What is a grave?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
St. Paul
Derek Hough
the Canary Islands
(Jackson) Pollock
Hungary
a pectoral
Dame Muriel Spark
"Bills, Bills, Bills"
Alaska
Atlanta
Torvill and Dean
the waltz
Amy
Aaron
"Scheherazade"
twizzles
St. Andrew
no contest
the roadside
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. States
It's the only state name that can be typed using the letters on only one row of the standard keyboard.

Spoiler
What is Alaska? Thomas was writing Georgia; Erin was writing Connecticut; neither was complete.

Erin Summers: $23,400-$9,000=$14,400
Alvin Chin: $16,100+$16,000=$32,100...now a 1-day champion with $32,100
Thomas Phillips: $10,000-$6,101=$3,899
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The talk that the CCs gave the challengers at the first commercial break seemed to have worked, too bad, though, as the champ was on fire until then!

Once I saw the clue I knew I wouldn't' be able to get it in time (after I resolved not to look at my keyboard until the music was done, as I watch J! on my computer), and couldn't' think of a way to logically come at it. Maine? It's the shortest name ... nope. Hawaii? Lots of repeating letters there ... nope. OK, best I got now is alphabetically, but I don't think I can do it in 30 seconds. Alabama ... nope. Alaska ... ... holy $#!+, the letters are all on the home row! Wow! (Looks down and checks even though the music is still going). Yeah! That was easy!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

dhkendall wrote: Maine? It's the shortest name ... !
Yep, but Ohaiyo is a just one letter longer! ;)

There are not enough seconds in the think music for me to really go for this one. I said Ohio but I knew it wouldn't be.

Very tough game for me but holy crow, give it up for Alvin. I thought his goose was cooked when he clearly didn't know the DD (I did though!) but sometimes things go your way.

What happened to Thomas in DJ? Dude was a buzzer monster who knew everything. Oh well, 25 grand is not bad.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Two video clues, Forrest Bounces, and we still get 16 clues before the break? Not bad. If we had left any clues behind, then I would've been furious.

Carter Family was tricky. I got Billy entirely because I saw someone try to drink a 35 year old can of Billy Beer, and I at least kinda recognized most of the others, but they were just too far back in the memory banks.

What led to Hartford and St. Paul in Capials? Zion = Salt Lake City was much easier IMO. (Note to self: Hartford comes up all the time. Remember that it's a capital. But before that, remember first that Connecticut exists, because you screwed that up before.)

Well, after a zillion 4/5s in the past month, I ran three categories today: Snakes, Bob Rhyme, and Golden. Made up for getting only Scheherezade and Billy Carter in their respective categories. Overall 20/30 on the J! board, and I think this is is

On Ogur didn't sound enough like Hungary to click for me.

Woo, Janet Evanovich. Love her stuff, and I didn't blank on her like I did last time she came up.

I had both node and nodule, and it turns out they both worked. Oddly I got the bottom three, but not "no contest" or "nose cone" (didn't know it was called that).

I also thought Alice Walker was a far more obscure start in Women Authors than Suzanne Collins.

-1/5 in Cross. Saw no way to get "love" at $1200; didn't know what St. Andrew was famous for; NHO "pectoral"; and negged with Blue Cross for Red Cross.
====
Okay, I can do this without cheating and looking down at my keyboard. I know I can ignore the bottom row because there are no vowels down there, so let's try it.

QWERTYUIOP: West Virginia? No. No state begins with Q or E. Rhode Island? Nope. Utah? Idaho? Iowa? Pennsylvania? Nope, nope, nope, nope.

ASDFGHJKL: Alabama, Arizona, South Carolina/Dakota, nope. Florida, nope. New Jersey, Kansas, Louisiana? All nope.

Back to the top row. Ohio? Nope… Crap, time's up. I got nothing.

Tricky clue is tricky. Either you can filter it out in 30 seconds or you can't. I think I also jinxed myself by talking about my habit of forgetting states, as I kinda forgot about Alaska. Or maybe I forgot that K is on the second row. Or something.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Alvin did phenomenally well and won after being in third place at the end of the first round! I had 39 correct responses including the triple stumper of pectoral. I noticed that the audience laughed when Erin answered a clue with "Aaron", a name that is pronounced the same as her own. I got FJ about two seconds after Alex finished reading the clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Settled on the right answer as a desperate WAG, after having to discard all of my other guesses (O-h...nope, H-a-w...nope, I-d...damnit). Whew.

I wonder if Alvin still would've gone nearly all-in if that no contest/decision reversal hadn't changed his wagering situation from an easy 2/3 to a Strattons. If not, he can thank the judges for the extra 16k :lol:
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Wow! I just have to say great job to Alvin after being down so low at the end of the Jeopardy! round. I wonder if anyone has ever won after having no money entering Double Jeopardy!? That would be an amazing achievement.

Got FJ! fairly quickly actually (I just went to the beginning of the alphabet and sorted out the states and their spelling. Lo and behold, Alaska is one of the first states to pop up alphabetically!)
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

I had no shot on FJ. I can touch type at 80+ WPM, but it's all reflexes and didn't think to start miming out states to work through them, ended up just guessing Ohio due to only having three letters. That was a pretty amazing game though, hardly any stand and stares.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: On Ogur didn't sound enough like Hungary to click for me.
Led me more to "Mongolia"

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I got Final by going through the states alphabetically and miming typing them out. Alabama? No. Alaska? Bingo! I figured it would be a home row state, but I didn't really know a better way than going through the list.

The J! board was good for me tonight. DJ? Not so much.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Great game. Erin was great, the champ was on fire in J round.

I don't like these kind of FJ clues. No chance for me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

What a great come back by Alvin. Very impressive.

My first thought on FJ was: How the heck did this "Wheel of Fortune" clue get here? No idea... even after I spent a few minutes staring at my keyboard. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I burned about 20 seconds trying to memorize the keyboard layout, and ultimately ended up with Kansas for FJ. Although, I must say I'm surprised I was this close with only the N not in the same row as the others.

Other than that, WOW! What a game!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Lumosityfan wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever won after having no money entering Double Jeopardy!?
It happened on Saturday's rerun episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4541.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Ran Carter-it helps that I was alive back then and remember these people.

Couldn't come up with the right state for FJ. That had to be hard to come up with in 30 seconds.

Did well in Bob Rhyme, but terrible in Cross.

We'll see how the new champ does.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Carter (5), Snake (2), Bob (3), State (4), Gold (4), Ice (1)
Cross (1), Women (3), Geo (1), Song (1), "No" (3), Drunk (5)

I've had a bad habit of changing my answers and making them wrong lately (Aaron to Abraham; yesterday Oh Susanna to My Old Kentucky Home).

Lach Trash: "no contest" (later rescinded because a previously wrong answer was correct)

First thought was Utah, but then Dad said Alaska, and I confirmed it with some "air-typing."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't know the keyboard by heart, so I was reduced to guessing on FJ. I went with short named states and got stuck with Utah.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cheezguyty wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever won after having no money entering Double Jeopardy!?
It happened on Saturday's rerun episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4541.
In that one, though, Brian was still in third going into Final and only won because he got a sole get and wagered everything. Here, the new champ started DJ! with, what, $200? and either led or was a close second going in if memory serves right. (Where is Jeff's recap?)