Friday, March 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7020, 2015-03-06

CONTESTANTS
Rachael Sims, a law school graduate from Sullivan, Illinois
Nic Pereira, a pool and spa maintenance contractor from Ferndale, California
Laura Lorson, a newscaster and editor from Perry, Kansas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $33,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to all of you. This has been a great week for us, and today, for the first time, we have a returning two-day champion in Laura. So, Nic and Rachael, good luck to you. Let's go to work, shall we? And here come the categories for the first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE AM I? (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE TAGLINES (4/5)
THE MAIN NON‑ALCOHOLIC INGREDIENT (5/5)
"RU" FOR REAL (5/5)
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (4/5)
THE TVA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachael: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Laura: 7 R, 2 W
Nic: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachael found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Laura had $1,000, Nic had $1,600, and Rachael was at $3,400. Rachael wagered $1,000.

WHERE AM I? $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) With Jerusalem spread out behind me, I'm high up on this, which is named for an important crop of the region
(Rachael: What is...)
(Alex: Anything?)
(Rachael: What are the...)
(Alex: The crop is the olives, the mount is the high point.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachael: $2,600
Nic: $2,000
Laura: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rachael Sims is a law-school graduate from Sullivan, Illinois, who won a car.

Rachael: I did.

Alex: How?

Rachael: Um, on my 18th birthday, I was checking into my e-mail, um, and I saw an ad--this was in 2002, so the Bond movie Die Another Day had just come out, and in the movie, Halle Berry has a little pink Ford Thunderbird. So, you know, you could win Halle Berry's car from this movie. And I'm like, "Oh, I'm 18 now. I can enter these things." So I give them my e-mail and my name and forgot about it for three months until I got an e-mail that said I was the grand-prize winner.

Alex: Gosh, isn't that great?

Rachael: It was pretty cool.

Alex: How you must've felt when you got the news.

Rachael: So, I got it at like 11:00 P.M. or so, and I woke up my mom, and she's like, "Honey, it's spam. Go to bed." And I'm like, "No, it's not spam! It's real!" And I've still got the car, so...

Alex: [Laughs] All right.

Alex: Nic Pereira is a pool and spa maintenance contractor who once met an old, dear friend of mine in an elevator.

Nic: Yeah, I was, um, summer-interning at an entertainment law firm here in century city, and I was doing the mail run, and I walked into the elevator, and there was Lucille Ball. And she was absolutely delightful, just nice and warm. And, you'd think that someone who was that famous at that point--it was, you know, in the '80s, she had been doing this for a while. Very nice.

Alex: And running Desilu.

Nic: Yes.

Alex: Yeah, sweet lady.

Alex: Laura Lorson is our champion. And it says here that your life has been like The Lucy Show. Why is that?

Laura: Well, because I'm constantly getting into scrapes with my friend Viv...

Alex: Really?

Laura: ...and running after Mr. Mooney and falling into vats of dye. Just I'm constantly goofing up. I'm klutzy. Like, for example, one time, my dog kind of got away from me. Ran into a car--car did not hit the dog. The dog hit the car. And I was in such a panic to get him to the vet to figure out if anything was wrong, I locked myself out of the house and out of my car, so I had to break into my house, and then the police came because somebody saw me breaking into my house. Anyway, I'm just saying, it's like The Lucy Show.

[Laughter]

Alex: How do you deal with chocolates in a production line?

[Laughter]

[Laura mumbles, pretending she has a mouth full of chocolates.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE TAGLINES $1000: 1991:
"Somebody said get a life... so they did"
(Alex: That wonderful twosome... [*].)

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $200: This university in New York City that was founded as King's College in 1754 uses a crown as its logo

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachael: $7,000
Laura: $3,000
Nic: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INTRODUCTIONS (3/5)
NOW THAT'S A SAD STORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HOMOPHONIC PAIRS (4/5)
JOHN LAW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRUSSIA (4/5)
THE TV "A" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Laura: 9 R, 0 W
Nic: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rachael: 9 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachael snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Laura had $5,800, Nic had $4,400, and Rachael was at $9,000. Rachael wagered $2,500.

JOHN LAW $2000: In his dissent to this infamous 1896 decision, John Marshall Harlan wrote that "our Constitution is color-blind"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Laura had $5,800, Nic had $4,400, and Rachael was at $11,900. Rachael wagered $2,000.

NOW THAT'S A SAD STORY $800: From page 1 of this Fred Gipson novel: "When I had to kill him, it was like having to shoot some of my own folks"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRUSSIA $1200: Albert, the leader of the Knights of this order, turned Prussia into a secular Polish duchy in 1525

NOW THAT'S A SAD STORY $1200: Death narrates this novel in which Liesel starts her stealing at her brother's funeral

INTRODUCTIONS $1200: The Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch includes "expired and gone to" undergo this introduction
(Rachael: What is meet his maker?)
(Alex: Meet--say it again.)
(Rachael: What is meet his maker?)

INTRODUCTIONS $1600: Nice to make your acquaintance & seize your ships; in this war, Oliver Hazard Perry said, "we have met the enemy and they are ours"
(Alex: All right, less than a minute now, Nic.)

HOMOPHONIC PAIRS $400: A forbidden rock group

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachael: $19,500
Laura: $13,800
Nic: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION SPEECHES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Rachael: Wager $8,101 to cover Laura.
Laura: You ought to wager to cover Nic, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $13,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,200 (to shut out Nic) or less than $2,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Nic). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Rachael.
Nic: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $1,400, you need to bet either $3,801, and play for a win if Laura tries to two-thirds Rachael, or bet at least $9,501 to cover Rachael's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $10,000 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Springsteen said David Sancious was "the only member of the group who ever actually lived" there

FINAL SCORES
Nic: $10,000 - $3,000 = $7,000 (What is Chicago) (3rd place)
Laura: $13,800 - $6,600 = $7,200 (What is Asbury Park?) (2nd place)
Rachael: $19,500 + $2,000 = $21,500 (What is the E Street Band) (New champion: $21,500)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachael: $18,800, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Laura: $13,800, 16 R, 2 W
Nic: $10,000, 12 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $42,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachael: 24/61 = .393
Laura: 16/58 = .276
Nic: 12/58 = .207
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVIE TAGLINES $200: 2003:
"There are 3.7 trillion fish in the ocean. They're looking for one"
(Alex: Yeah, they find him.)

WHERE AM I? $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm on this island near Cape Town, known as both South Africa's Alcatraz & the Island of Tears

WHERE AM I? $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm at the world's largest religious structure, this incredible 12th-century edifice, with its 2-mile-long outer walls & 500-acre sacred interior

THE TVA $400: "Frying eggs from 93 million miles away--now that's power" says tva.com of this type of energy
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you are right.)

THE TVA $800: A mosquito-eradication program by the TVA eliminated this disease that had been endemic to a regional waterway
(Laura: What is yellow fever?)
(Rachael: What is West Nile?)

WHERE AM I? $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm in this city, chosen as the headquarters of the League of Nations, for what the U.N. says was in recognition of the city's tradition of international diplomacy
(Laura: What is Brussels?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

PRUSSIA $400: Crowned King of Prussia in 1861, he took the title of kaiser when the German Empire was founded in 1871
(Rachael: Who is Bismarck?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Mount of Olives
Thelma & Louise
Columbia University
Plessy v. Ferguson
Old Yeller
the Teutonic Order
The Book Thief
meet its maker
the War of 1812
a banned band
E Street
Finding Nemo

Robben Island
Angkor Wat
solar
malaria
Geneva
(Kaiser) Wilhelm
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Speeches
Springsteen said David Sancious was "The only member of the group who ever actually lived" there.

Spoiler
What is E Street? Nic said Chicago; Laura said Asbury Park.

Rachael Sims: $19,500+$2,000=$21,500...now a 1-day champion with $21,500
Laura Lorson: $13,800-$6,600=$7,200
Nic Pereira: $10,000-$3,000=$7,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am far from a rock music expert, but that was a solo get? And by the youngest player in the game?

More lovely wagering. I hope Keith survives this one.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Bamaman wrote:I am far from a rock music expert, but that was a solo get? And by the youngest player in the game?
Ironically, the two of us who were left over for the next tape day both knew it. I am a HUGE Springsteen fan and almost felt like crying when that Final came up when I was in the studio but not on stage.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'll share grindcore's inevitable chiming in grousing about a geography clue going uncovered. Went 4/4 and was looking forward to 5/5 considering the missing one was top row.

Another instaget from here, and I'm not a huge Springsteen fan like Kristina or undoubtedly others here. I'd like to know what made the other two pick their responses, oftentimes their thinking behind it, when it's shared here, is quite interesting.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Those answers, and those wagers...oy.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

It doesn't surprise me at all that the FJ answers were all over the map. I don't know what Chicago is about, but I immediately thought of 4 possible answers (Nebraska, Asbury Park, 10th Avenue and E Street). I went with Nebraska because it seemed the most likely to not have members living there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Another instaget from here, and I'm not a huge Springsteen fan like Kristina or undoubtedly others here. I'd like to know what made the other two pick their responses, oftentimes their thinking behind it, when it's shared here, is quite interesting.
Asbury Park at least makes some sense. Not sure where Chicago came from.

Instaget FJ for me.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a well-played game, with all three players in five figures going into FJ. I had 28 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Columbia University and banned band. Instaget FJ.
Golf

Post by Golf »

The new champ showed nice subject matter knowledge today. But.......

She wagers $2500 on a DD in the bottom row, then when she has more money wagers only $2000 on a DD in the 2nd row. And that cost her a 2/3rds (or something) going into FJ. Not that she would ever realize if she had a crush, 2/3rds, 3/4ths etc. or not after that FJ wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnny was clearly dubbed in again today, as his intro of AT was weak again. But he sounded normal yesterday. Easy fix? Just splice in the AT intro from a previous episode, so Johnny only has to read the contestant names.

0/5 in Movies. Surprisingly, I've never seen Finding Nemo.

Would they have taken "ruins"

Columbia being a stand-and-stare at $200 was a bit surprising, given that they had no trouble with the rest of the category.

After an endless barrage of clams (Wilhelm; nah, that can't be right, I don't know crap about Prussia), brain-farts ("Oh shoot, that show with Mr. T on it. I think it had 'A' and 'Team' in the name, but what was it called?!"), and NHOIs ("rubber meets the road"? The hell?!), I just said "screw it " about 2/3 of the way through DJ! and didn't even try on a Homophonic Pairs category that I could've probably run on a better day.

Wow, that's a long FJ! category name. That's the longest I've ever seen (inb4 "that's what she said").

Don't recognize the name David Sancious at all. "Lived there" = group with a place name. Best I could do was "not Alabama". I honestly never in a billion years would've parsed that clue as asking for a band Springsteen was associated with. My mind just doesn't work that way. Could be literally anything.

Our champ is fortunate that she had time to cross out the parts that would've been wrong. Wasn't there someone recently who got zinged by an unfinished crossout?
Leander

Post by Leander »

dhkendall wrote:I'll share grindcore's inevitable chiming in grousing about a geography clue going uncovered. Went 4/4 and was looking forward to 5/5 considering the missing one was top row.

Another instaget from here, and I'm not a huge Springsteen fan like Kristina or undoubtedly others here. I'd like to know what made the other two pick their responses, oftentimes their thinking behind it, when it's shared here, is quite interesting.
I'll speculate: the Chicago answer was from someone who probably didn't know who Sancious was (the least well known member of the band, IMO) and figured Springsteen was simply introducing someone a la the Oscars and not part of the induction. That leads one to grasp for geographically based band names and Chicago is an obvious choice. Asbury Park featuring so prominently in early Springsteen makes it another obvious option.

I frankly didn't know E Street was a real place.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I think that how well known Sancious is compared to the rest of the band is irrelevant; it's pretty trivial to determine he's talking about a member of the E Street Band.

I also didn't think E Street was an actual place. In hindsight, saying "E Street Band" as I'm typing this does make it stand out as more likely than song or album title places.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a hell of a game! If I'm ever on the show, I hope I'm not up against players like that. I want opponents I can demolish like I used a ten-pound hammer.

Rachael is very sharp! Did she only miss the one question, about Monty Python? She was very lucky to get all three DDs and also lucky to get that law DD being a former law student. (What does that mean? She's a dropout? She's graduated but not passed the bar yet?)

I got FJ pretty quickly. I didn't recognize the name of the person in the clue, so I figured it had to be a reference to Springsteen's own band. It seemed odd to me that Springsteen would give an induction speech on behalf of someone else's band. I also know all the names of the original members of Chicago and I know that more than one of them lived there.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a super easy board.

I was also expecting an easy FJ clue, since the writers usually keep the pop music FJs to basic knowledge. I instant got it, though I was a little worried there for a second when the "Asbury Park" response was revealed.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Instaget on Final. Ran the RU category. Ran Colleges. Didn't do so hot on Prussia-1/5 in that one.

I'm 2/5 on FJ this week. Maybe next week will be better.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Yep, FJ was an Instaget for me too. What helped was that I knew that Bruce Springsteen had been inducted into the R&R HOF earlier as a solo artist and that the E Street band was inducted more recently as a seperate artist.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

43 right.

Where (3), Movie (4), Alcohol (1), "Ru" (3), College (3), TVA (5)
Intro (4), Sad (3), Pair (4), Law (5), Prussia (3), "A" (5)

Lach Trash: "Mount of Olives"- DD, "Columbia", "meet its maker" ("It's a stiff!" :D), "War of 1812", "banned band"

Instaget FJ. (Looked up the origin of E Street after the show, and saw it was E Street in Belmar, NJ. I thought all along that it was E Street in Washington DC.)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

My pop culture knowledge is horrendous. When FJ category was revealed, I marked it as no way! Imagine my surprise when I instagot it. I have no idea the prominence of Ashbury park that is implied in the comments, but I am happy to get a pop culture FJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!