Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?
It's well known that Edith Wilson basically ran the Executive Branch due to Woodrow's stroke.
It was the year here. ("In 1914 Woodrow Willllllllllllllson takes us into World War One.")
No he didn't.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

The third single-player FJ game I referred to doesn't look like its archived, but I remember that one of the contestants was Bob Reaume.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JayK33 wrote:Maybe if they have another big UToC someday, Justin and Kristin could be the first married couple to face eachother in the same televised game. Assuming that Kristin makes it to at least 5 games, of course, which I'm sure she will.

I wonder who would win that one.

oh and btw, is Justin a member on here?
As was mentioned before, TPTB forbids people who know each other to play against each other. One of the things you have to do to be a contestant is to list all the people you know who have been on the show (a tall order for boardies), undoubtedly Justin was first on Kristen's list. (Ken Jennings mentioned in one of his books that during his run a friend of his got The Call but he couldn't play until Ken was done. He had a long wait.) I think I recall at least one married couple, maybe two, who did play together, but they weren't married at the time, they were strangers then, but after playing each other in J! they fell in love. (One was a pair of women a few years ago and another was from a recent Teachers Tourney, but I'm not sure if the teachers actually faced each other or were just tourney-mates). So the Sausvilles wouldn't even be the first marrieds to play each other even if they were allowed to.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?
It's well known that Edith Wilson basically ran the Executive Branch due to Woodrow's stroke.
It was the year here. ("In 1914 Woodrow Willllllllllllllson takes us into World War One.")
No he didn't.
That's a quote from a song teaching the presidents that I'm pretty sure TPH said he was familiar with. The history may be wrong but it's still helped me several times.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
No he didn't.
That's a quote from a song teaching the presidents that I'm pretty sure TPH said he was familiar with. The history may be wrong but it's still helped me several times.
Well, he ran on a slogan in 1916 that "He kept us out of war." But it reminds of me an old bit from "Lost in Space" where Dr. Smith kept insisting that "In fourteen hundred and ninety three, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea" (as opposed to "in 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue"). So, odd that there would be a song to teach kids about US Presidents that got the date completely wrong, but whatever it takes, I guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
No he didn't.
Well, he ran on a slogan in 1916 that "He kept us out of war." But it reminds of me an old bit from "Lost in Space" where Dr. Smith kept insisting that "In fourteen hundred and ninety three, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea" (as opposed to "in 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue"). So, odd that there would be a song to teach kids about US Presidents that got the date completely wrong, but whatever it takes, I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AL1Xn6UYM

EDIT: Huh, watching it again right now they clearly say "In 1913 Woodrow Wilson takes us into WWI", a reference to when his presidency started (the other years mentioned were also presidency start years) but my brain always remembered the song as saying 1914 since that's when the war started and almost all involved countries (including my own, but not including Wilson's) started fighting.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I knew about Woodrow Wilson as the president who had a stroke while his wife took over, but what really helped me remember it was the 1979 TV mini series "Backstairs at the White House," based on the memoir of a domestic servant at the White House. Robert Vaughn (of The Man From U.N.C.L.E) played Wilson and I can still see him laid up in bed, appearing to be paralyzed on one side. His wife wouldn't let anyone see him and relayed what were supposed to be his decisions to the cabinet.

You learn lots of stuff from a TV Miniseries.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

Bamaman wrote: I really feel sorry for the other two players. They are obviously smart people to make it on the show but just had bad days. Stephanie made some bad guesses towards the end but if you are in the hole you really have no choice the further you fall below zero but to take chances like that. Having a nightmare game like that could happen to just about anyone. Including two people who made the UTOC.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4281
Totally agree. Given the nature of what it takes to get on the show, I always want to see the contestants make it to FJ. Even the ones I think are a little obnoxious, cocky, etc.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Golf wrote:
zakharov wrote:Baseball is the king of sports and I'll hear no trash talk against it!
If it were the king of sports you would have used it as your username. :o
Why? No one else here has.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. Painful to watch. Great job staying clam, Kristin. I think your thumb must have slipped on the buzzer that one time when you rang in after the other two had given wrong responses and you didn't have an answer either.

That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
I musta got lucky on that one, inference and all. I said Pisces because I know somebody who is a Pisces and that is the sign we are in right now. But, it would appear that the start of Spring is, at best, on the cusp of Pisces and whatever is next (which I would have to look up (even though I know lots of people under that sign, too)).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
nuveena

Post by nuveena »

Kristin, there's a seeming edit I'm curious about. In the Yankee Doodle Dandy question, there appeared to be an edit between the response, "Who is Cohen (pronounced Co-en)?" and Alex's response of "Yes, George M. Cohan (pronounced Co-han)." Was there a pause in the game for judges to check that or was this just edited for time?
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

BADuBois wrote:Wow. I've always wondered what it was like to be a witness to a jaw-dropping disaster like seeing the Hindenburg crash and burn. Now I know.

I broke my personal FJ Instaget streak with this one: I thought it was Veterans Affairs (ouch!).

Congrats again to Kristin.
Same for me.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:I musta got lucky on that one, inference and all. I said Pisces because I know somebody who is a Pisces and that is the sign we are in right now. But, it would appear that the start of Spring is, at best, on the cusp of Pisces and whatever is next (which I would have to look up (even though I know lots of people under that sign, too)).

Brian
Aries, which is what I am. My dad was right before me (Pisces) and my brother is right after (Taurus), so those three are easy for me.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

opusthepenguin wrote:Ouch. Painful to watch. Great job staying clam, Kristin. I think your thumb must have slipped on the buzzer that one time when you rang in after the other two had given wrong responses and you didn't have an answer either.

That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
I had been trying to ring in with Giant, then Stephanie said it and it was wrong. I hadn't stopped ringing and therefore had nothing.

I got March and May mixed up. I used to be really into astrology as a teenager and if I had thought about it for another few seconds, I would've remembered.
nuveena wrote:Kristin, there's a seeming edit I'm curious about. In the Yankee Doodle Dandy question, there appeared to be an edit between the response, "Who is Cohen (pronounced Co-en)?" and Alex's response of "Yes, George M. Cohan (pronounced Co-han)." Was there a pause in the game for judges to check that or was this just edited for time?
I don't remember, sorry.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:Ouch. Painful to watch. Great job staying clam, Kristin. I think your thumb must have slipped on the buzzer that one time when you rang in after the other two had given wrong responses and you didn't have an answer either.

The thing that gets me is that, for astrological signs, anyways, spring starts on the cusp of two signs, right on the border - in fact all seasons start on the cusp of signs. (I know this because, even though my mom and I were both born in March, mid-March me has Pisces as my sign and late-March Mom has Aries as hers), so it was a coin flip imho.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
I musta got lucky on that one, inference and all. I said Pisces because I know somebody who is a Pisces and that is the sign we are in right now. But, it would appear that the start of Spring is, at best, on the cusp of Pisces and whatever is next (which I would have to look up (even though I know lots of people under that sign, too)).

Brian
Aries should count. Aries starts the list of zodiac signs as they start counting from the vernal equinox (a.k.a., the beginning of (traditional) spring). However they would also have to account for meteorological spring which starts March 1, which is Pisces.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

countyguy wrote:and this game had the lowest Combined Coryat at $1,500 ($3,000 post-doubled).
That is probably the most hyper-specific FJ! response ever.

Surprised no one has yet brought up this notorious single-player FJ! which probably also holds the record or most TSes in a single round. (I remember getting Letterman right.)

ETA: So that's why I didn't know cold/warm booting. Apparently that's a Windows thing, and I'm a lifelong Mac user. Then again, I knew defrag, and apparently Macs don't need that, either...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:The thing that gets me is that, for astrological signs, anyways, spring starts on the cusp of two signs, right on the border - in fact all seasons start on the cusp of signs. (I know this because, even though my mom and I were both born in March, mid-March me has Pisces as my sign and late-March Mom has Aries as hers), so it was a coin flip imho.
Yeah, that makes it even worse. That clue should not have survived the vetting process. It's a mystery to me that it not only did so but got selected as a DD.

I have a similar situation to yours. My wife and I have birthdays that are four days apart, but we have different signs. I'm a Libra, she's a Virgo. (Insert joke here.)
Spoiler
Insert joke about "insert" here.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
countyguy wrote:and this game had the lowest Combined Coryat at $1,500 ($3,000 post-doubled).
That is probably the most hyper-specific FJ! response ever.
There's nothing particularly hyper-specific about it. They probably would have accepted just "Mir," but certainly "Mir crash" would have been enough. It was basically just a current events question asking "What (presumably one-time) event occurred in the Pacific Ocean a few months ago that would have been a big enough deal for airlines to have to alter flight plans?"
Sprinkles are for winners.