Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Kid Charlemagne wrote:(Sadly, none of Kristin's episodes are up on J-Archive yet, so I'll have to go from imperfect memory.)

That, was, um, interesting.

I suppose it was pretty obvious that the champ had some poise and played her game, following the landmark comeback win from her debut. (That sounds like faint praise...but it's one of those things that tough to quantify or even articulate, so we spend more time here discussing FJ wagering strategies and specific answers, but some people crack under the lights and some people are the polar opposite of that.) In this particular game, that's what you had to have more than anything else. Brutal DJ round. There are probably some people out there with the knowledge base to have crushed it, but they were few and far between.

Stephanie has been subjected to a lot of ridicule. I did wince (Rachael Ray?) at a couple of her guesses..I'll echo whoever it was who figured a Geography Bee contestant would have fared better on East Asian Cities... but once she was far behind enough, absolutely the right thing to do is gamble and keep gambling. And go for the high-dollar questions, just like she did. Do your best Roger Craig imitation. Unfortunately, she's not Roger Craig, there was the "Giant" trap, and, really, this was not a good board to have for someone trying to mount a comeback anyway. People will say she's one of the worst contestants on Jeopardy, but that's not necessarily fair.

As for Brad, well, TPTB must have had their reasons, and they saw much more of him than I did, but nothing I saw suggested he had any business being up there.

Huh? Defend both of them or neither. Makes no sense to be so much harsher on Brad. Some of Stephanie's guesses were really ugly. It's not like she got to -6800 on a bunch of Oxford-Cambridge-type misses...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

billiej wrote:
GoodStrategy wrote:[ whether or not you count that Celebrity game
Celebrity games never count. For anything. :evil:
Including setting records for "most number of clues left on the board"?
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Wow. Look at this. 141 posts for this show. Is that a record( or near one) ?
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:I didn't care for the Giant negbait on the So Big clue. Edna Ferber is not an author like Dickens or Steinbeck or Austen who is still widely read - for most contestants she will be at best a name and a list of titles. (Apologies to any fans of hers - I am not saying this is deserved, just true.) A vague plot summary would not be enough for most people to figure out which "huge" title was meant.
I tend to agree since I fell for it, but of course the fact that Giant is about a ranch and oil is well known because of the movie, and "farm" and "widow" might have warned some people away. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the title "So Big" is familiar to many through crossword puzzles.
nuveena wrote:Kristin, there's a seeming edit I'm curious about. In the Yankee Doodle Dandy question, there appeared to be an edit between the response, "Who is Cohen (pronounced Co-en)?" and Alex's response of "Yes, George M. Cohan (pronounced Co-han)." Was there a pause in the game for judges to check that or was this just edited for time?
Too bad Kristin doesn't remember, I wondered too, there must have been some discussion on the acceptability of Co-en, especially when the next clue was a daily double. I imagine even judges might disagree on that one, but I think they came down on the right side.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Volante wrote: Wait, what?...

Anyway, if the clue is ambiguous for meteorological spring, it's also ambiguous between astronomical and astrological spring. For that matter, spring can start Mar 21 which also starts Aries.

Finally, meteorological spring starts March 1, and I know for a fact that's Pisces, not Aquarius. If any of these is flat out wrong, it's Aquarius.
It might be gnawing away at my sanity in unhealthy ways, but I still remember my ex-gf's b-day AND the associated sign.
No, astronomical spring and astrological spring happen at the same time. The clue wanted the astronomical constellation Pisces, not an astrological sign Aries. All the clues were astronomical, referring to specific stars and the meaning of the latinate name.

On March 1, the sun is in the astrological sign Pisces, but in the astronomical constellation Aquarius. Whatever astrological sign the sun was in when you were born, the sun was in a different astronomical constellation. Signs and constellations were sort of aligned 2000 yerars ago, but not anymore.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm looking forward to seeing this game in the Archive. How many did Stephanie have to get wrong in order to fall down to such a "high" negative?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still unanswered: was this FJ! just a "know it or don't"? I saw literally no way to narrow it down.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered: was this FJ! just a "know it or don't"? I saw literally no way to narrow it down.
It would have to be something created by FDR's administration. Therefore it's not going to be something older like the Post Office or Department of Justice, or something newer like the Environmental Protection Agency or Department of Energy.

That still leaves a lot of possible answers, including the one Kristin gave, FDIC. And the FCC, which someone else mentioned.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

JayK33 wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this game in the Archive. How many did Stephanie have to get wrong in order to fall down to such a "high" negative?
On Thursday night, I thought she responded incorrectly to five of the six $2000 clues in DJ! I was actually wrong - it was all six, plus the $1600 in East Asian Cities. She only had four right in DJ - a $400, two $800s, and a $1600.
Last edited by mfc248 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Kid Charlemagne wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered: was this FJ! just a "know it or don't"? I saw literally no way to narrow it down.
It would have to be something created by FDR's administration. Therefore it's not going to be something older like the Post Office or Department of Justice, or something newer like the Environmental Protection Agency or Department of Energy.

That still leaves a lot of possible answers, including the one Kristin gave, FDIC. And the FCC, which someone else mentioned.
Social Security is the cornerstone of the New Deal. FDR signed no more important or lasting legislation. 1935 is the middle of the Depression, so even if you don't know the exact year of Social Security, it's the obvious response for this FJ. It would be the first thing to pop into most minds, as it did to mine.
My poor excuse for missing it? I somehow overlooked the 9 after the 5 and subtracted 50 years, ended up in 1944, and decided that the last year of the war led to the Veteran's Administration. I also gave up on SSA because I thought it had always been an independent agency, and I guess I was conflating the creation of the Department of Veterans Affairs (which was in '88) with the Veterans Administration...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Whereas I spent the whole 30 seconds staring at the screen because New Deal entirely evaporated from my thought process, and I didn't know that Social Security was a "cornerstone" of it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you didn't know the bit about Clinton or when SSA was created, yes it is pretty much a guess. But the date tells you it is a New Deal program, so that narrows it down a bit.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Experts would know that Social Security was part of the so-called Second New Deal, which was created in 1935 as a response to (on the one hand) conservative Supreme Court decisions that invalidated most of the first New Deal and (on the other hand) to radical voices calling for stronger measures. That is not something I would expect the average Jeopardy! contestant to necessarily know, however.

And I would say the same for the difference between the astrological and astronomical Zodiacs - second-nature knowledge to some, less widely known among the general public.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanislaus Jacob

Volante wrote: Finally, meteorological spring starts March 1, and I know for a fact that's Pisces, not Aquarius. If any of these is flat out wrong, it's Aquarius.
It might be gnawing away at my sanity in unhealthy ways, but I still remember my ex-gf's b-day AND the associated sign.
The astronomical constellations these days are extremely out of whack with the astrological signs, often by almost a full month.

Edited because I accidentally wrote gibberish before, as silverscreentest kindly pointed out.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Volante wrote: Finally, meteorological spring starts March 1, and I know for a fact that's Pisces, not Aquarius. If any of these is flat out wrong, it's Aquarius.
Astronomical spring these days is extremely out of whack with astrological spring, often by almost a full month.
Astronomical spring and astrological spring happen at the same time. Meteorological spring begins a few weeks earlier. Astrologers say spring begins with the sun entering the sign of Aries, astronomers say spring begins while the sun is in the constellation Pisces.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Stanislaus Jacob

silverscreentest wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Astronomical spring these days is extremely out of whack with astrological spring, often by almost a full month.
Astronomical spring and astrological spring happen at the same time. Meteorological spring begins a few weeks earlier. Astrologers say spring begins with the sun entering the sign of Aries, astronomers say spring begins while the sun is in the constellation Pisces.
Sorry; I meant to write that the astronomical and astrological signs are extremely out of whack. I fixed it now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

silverscreentest wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
At the moment of the Spring Equinox, the Sun is clearly in Pisces, in fact it is closer to Aquarius than to Aries. Dates for astrological sun signs are just wrong.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Golf wrote:Technically, in this situation there's only two valid wagers. Nothing or everything but a dollar. Any other wager is just giving away value.
Well, unless you think there's exactly a 50 % chance of you getting it right. Any wager would be valid in that situation.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
floridagator wrote:I said optimization when the contestant said defrag. Judges?
IIRC, the clue said something about being named for the fact that it reunites pieces that had come apart or something like that, so I don't think optimization fits.
I said zipping, I wonder if that would be acceptable? I think the clue asked for something that unites parts of files that are stored separately (are the files stored separately, or are the parts stored separately?), zipping does achieve that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Caboom wrote: I said zipping, I wonder if that would be acceptable? I think the clue asked for something that unites parts of files that are stored separately (are the files stored separately, or are the parts stored separately?), zipping does achieve that.
Nope. Zipping is compression. It also makes the file unusable until you decompress it. It also leaves the original file scattered everywhere (unless you delete it, and until then it will take up more space)

What defragging does is it takes all the little bits of one file that are scattered all over the hard drive and lines them up in a row so the HD doesn't have to read little bits all over every platter and just zips through the file in one go. (Not applicable if you have a solid state drive.)

And apparently, defrag can free up space, though its more tangential to the process, so they lucked out on that part of the clue too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
Huh? Defend both of them or neither. Makes no sense to be so much harsher on Brad. Some of Stephanie's guesses were really ugly. It's not like she got to -6800 on a bunch of Oxford-Cambridge-type misses...
Hmmmm....well, two things. First, I figure enough derision has been poured on the -6800 that I don't have much to add. (Other than the taking a long time to pick the next category in the early going when she was competitive, which probably contributed to the overall experience from the viewer's perspective. Like watching one of those baseball games where the pitcher takes forever between pitches and throws to first anytime there's a runner there.)

Second, people who don't do anything in circumstances like this actually bother me more. It's one thing to get steamrolled by an all-time great performance, or simply bested by two really good players. What I judge harshest is a situation like this where you're standing between a champ clearly having an off night and a fellow challenger who flashed a few skills in the early going but self-destructed in the most epic fashion possible...and do that.

I guess because this message board is so full of people who think they've got the chops (some probably do) to get on the show for real, the really low Coryat games are the ones that get people's dander up the most.
Yes, there's gas in the car.