How Do You Play Along?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: How Do You Play Along?

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I have an Excel file that has a sheet for scoring a single game, a tracking sheet with a line for each day's performance as explained below, and a sheet with notes of things I need to study.

For each game, I track the following:
1. DDs: my overall performance, the contestants' performance, and my performance broken up into high-, medium-, and low-confidence DDs (determined before the clue is revealed, of course); in the H-M-L section, I insert comments into the cells to indicate the category and nominal value of each DD
2. FJ!: each day's category, my performance, and the contestants' performance both overall and by scoring position prior to FJ!
3. Coryat: my score, the contestants' combined Coryat, and my Coryat adjusted to a $54000 board (to account for games where clues are left unrevealed)
4. Miscellaneous: my total number of correct responses, incorrect responses, clams (clues where I do not ring in but would have responded correctly had I rung in), and an overall net number of correct responses (right - wrong, adjusted to 60 clues); I also highlight each line green, yellow, or red based on whether I think the game was a win, toss-up, or loss for me.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

I track my answers in an excel file, where I mark the categories, and under them I have the clue values, just as a "real" board. If I get it right, I'll change the background color of the corresponding clue value to green, otherwise it'll stay red. For any LT I change the text of the clue value to yellow. If I run the category, I'll change the background of the category to green, and if I go 0/5, I'll change it to red. Kids games excluded, I don't think I've ever run more than three categories in a single game (there was once a game with categories about Finland, world capitals and Shakira, coincidentally it's my best or second best score ever), but I've certainly had more than three 0/5 categories (I've probably had more in just some rounds of DJ).

I don't track my wrong answers, which enables my to guess on every question. I also pause frequently to get some extra time on clues where I need it. As I can't ever get to the show (I'm from Finland), I find there's no reason to play by strict rules and stay clam, this way it's much more fun for me. Obviously I never report my scores as they are not comparable to the scores of those who play by the Coryat rules (and also because my scores are embarrassingly low :lol: ). On FJ's I try to stay within the normal time so that my results are comparable on the weekly polls.

There's no real reason for me to track my scores, but I find it fun, and it enables me to see whether I'll improve over time.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

dhkendall wrote:Like a few others here, I use an Excel file that I record my daily stats on to judge my worthiness over the years, as well as where my strengths and weaknesses are. I also use a strict Coryat method as laid out by Karl Coryat himself...

Could you repost the excel file? Thanks!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

akrites wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Like a few others here, I use an Excel file that I record my daily stats on to judge my worthiness over the years, as well as where my strengths and weaknesses are. I also use a strict Coryat method as laid out by Karl Coryat himself...

Could you repost the excel file? Thanks!
Sorry, didn't know that Dropbox disabled Excel and Word file links, but I reenabled access and it should work now.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

I watch the TV and shout answers at it.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

I used to keep Coryat with pen and paper, but then I came across http://www.scottalang.com/jeopardy/scorekeeper.php and have been using it ever since...

When I watch with my wife, we have it so she can shout out her answer anytime, whereas I have to wait until Alex finishes reading (i.e., playing with odds, if you will).

I remember before I went on, she said, will you remember to say "what is"? I said, have you ever seen me? I've been watching and saying "what is" all my life! :mrgreen:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Most of the time I just watch and work on timing/yelling. I often use an android Coryat score app. I don't record any of my scores or anything.

It would be cool if the app recorded my Coryat score in a database, and the clues I got right/wrong, then later reconciled those clues with the archive and allowed me to see how I fare in various categories etc. Sort of like Roger Craig's study technique. The dream app somehow reads the "go" lights in the studio, locks me out from buzzing if it is too early, and lets me see if I can ring in faster than the contestants.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote:The dream app somehow reads the "go" lights in the studio, locks me out from buzzing if it is too early, and lets me see if I can ring in faster than the contestants.
When the Jeopardy Challenger came out, I was hoping that's what it would do. When I saw you could link them together, I thought the show had in their audio track a signal that would be received by the challenger to open the buzzers. I was also hoping for a solo play option where a second signal would come to lock me out if the contestants got in first.

From what I've been able to find out, it was nothing more than a glorified calculator.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Scoring app on my iPad!

And after 51 years of Jeopardy, I know my strengths and weaknesses very well; sciences, math and most sports are my failings. But I *kill* at geography! :)