Monday, April 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7041, 2015-04-06

Kerry Greene game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Simmonds, an executive assistant from Los Angeles, California
Brian Carrick, a restaurant owner from Portland, Oregon
Kerry Greene, a volunteer guardian ad litem from Manchester, New Hampshire (whose 3-day cash winnings total $66,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I love the start of the week here on Jeopardy! because it's full of promise and excitement. Kerry is a marvelous champion, averaging $22,000 per victory. So, Brian and Eric, you're gonna have to work extra hard to replace her. But good luck to all. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round, first round of play. Today we have these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOUBLE A (3/5)
THE PRESIDENT'S PLEASURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SUPPORTING THE TV SHOW (4/5) (Alex: You have to identify the TV show; we'll give you some of the supporting characters in those shows.)
AROUND THE WORLD (5/5)
FACTA MORGANA (5/5)
YOU MAY BE A WALNUT... (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Brian: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Kerry: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Kerry had $400, Brian had $1,800, and Eric was at $2,800. Eric made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

THE PRESIDENT'S PLEASURE $1000: He had his own cabin built next to the 10th tee at Augusta National Golf Course; ah, the perks of being prez!

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eric: $5,600
Brian: $1,800
Kerry: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: For good luck on the program today, one of our challengers, Eric Simmonds, has brought along a photo of his sister who is on a world champion rowing team. Am I right? Hold that up.

Eric: That's right. Yeah, my older sister Carrie is on the U.S. rowing team. She's actually a world record-holder with her team, in the women's 8-boat, and, yeah, this is a reminder to stay calm and collected and competitive today.

Alex: Okay.

Eric: And it's working so far.

Alex: And just keep rowing.

Alex: All right, Brian Carrick is a restaurant owner from Portland, Oregon. He's opening a restaurant soon. As it--

Brian: Hopefully.

Alex: Yeah, my son is doing one also. But you have kept a souvenir, uh, from a visit to Italy that I want you to tell the folks about.

Brian: Well, so one of my prized possessions is actually a--a dinner roll that I got in 1990 that I got on a trip to Rome, Italy. Uh, it doesn't have any mold or anything on it. It looks exactly like we got it on that day. Um, and I keep it in a small, uh, acrylic container like you would keep a commemorative baseball in. It's pretty amazing, actually.

[Laughter]

Alex: And it's probably as hard as a baseball.

Brian: It actually is, yes.

Alex: Yeah. Okay. Why did you keep it?

Brian: I found it in my luggage like a few months after I got back, and I was like, wow, nothing's happened to this thing. This is crazy.

[Alex sighs.]

Brian: Strange.

[Laughter]

Alex: We ought to alert the TSA people. Guard your luggage. Look out for dinner rolls.

Alex: Kerry Greene is our champion, folks. She is a big fan of a different sport. Not rowing, but... figure skating.

Kerry: Figure skating.

Alex: Why? And you travel to competitions.

Kerry: We've been to worlds four times.

Alex: Really?

Kerry: Yeah, and I mean, it's--it's a great reason to travel and go places that you wouldn't go otherwise, but, um, it's something I could never do well. [Laughs ]

Alex: Uh-huh.

Kerry: But it's beautiful to watch, and, uh...

Alex: It's beautiful to watch and--

Kerry: I got my husband into it, and now the kids and...

Alex: Yeah, the big thing nowadays, of course, for the men is quads.

Kerry: Oh, yeah, the quad.

Alex: You gotta--you gotta do the quad.

Kerry: You gotta have the quad.

Alex: Otherwise, you're not gonna be world champion.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SUPPORTING THE TV SHOW $1000: Arlo Givens & Johnny Crowder dealt with law & disorder

DOUBLE A $600: AAM refers to this repetitive missile, like a Sidewinder
(Eric: What is anti-aircraft?)

DOUBLE A $800: Simple minds know that the Internet acronym AAK stands for this state of activity & well-being

YOU MAY BE A WALNUT... $200: ...if this, your edible central seed, is partitioned in 2
(Alex: It's [*]. Don't overcomplicate things in the first block.)

YOU MAY BE A WALNUT... $600: ...if you're used in charoset, a paste eaten on passover to remind Jews of this construction material
(Alex: [*] What must it taste like? Ah.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $9,000
Brian: $3,200
Kerry: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT MEN WANT (4/5)
5-LETTER CAPITAL CITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (4/5)
SCIENCE "N" MEDICINE (5/5)
POETS' MONIKERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEY PLAYED COACHELLA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerry: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Brian: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Eric: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Kerry had $7,400, Brian had $5,200, and Eric was at $9,400. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

5-LETTER CAPITAL CITIES $1200: The oldest South American capital, it's located just south of the equator

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Kerry had $9,800, Brian had $16,800, and Eric was at $17,800. Eric wagered $3,000.

POETS' MONIKERS $1200: "My Little Portuguese"
(Eric: Uh... who is Robert Browning?)
(Alex: No, he's the one who used the term to refer to his beloved [*]. He called her "My little Portuguese".)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT MEN WANT $2000: In a letter to Jane Porter, this character wrote, "I want you. I am yours. You are mine"

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $1200: In Judaism Kaddish is a mourner's prayer; this similar-sounding prayer is recited over wine

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brian: $18,800
Eric: $14,800
Kerry: $11,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NYC LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Brian: Wager $10,801 to cover Eric.
Eric: You ought to wager to cover Kerry, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $14,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,800 (to shut out Kerry) or less than $6,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Kerry). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Brian.
Kerry: Consider risking between $3,001 and $3,800. This will top a $0 wager by Eric while still beating Brian on the Triple Stumper (should Brian wager to cover Eric's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The lobby of this landmark has an Art Deco ceiling fresco by Edward Trumbull called "Transport and Human Endeavor"

FINAL SCORES
Kerry: $11,800 + $11,800 = $23,600 (What is the Chrysler Building?) (66001-day champion: $23,600)
Eric: $14,800 - $8,801 = $5,999 (What is Penn Station?) (3rd place)
Brian: $18,800 - $12,200 = $6,600 (What is Grand Central Station?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $16,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Brian: $14,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kerry: $11,800, 17 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $42,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Eric: 20/60 = .333
Kerry: 18/58 = .310
Brian: 15/59 = .254
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
YOU MAY BE A WALNUT... $400: ...if you're used to make fudge in which this other tree precedes walnut
(Kerry: What is pecan?)

FACTA MORGANA $600: This glamorous star of TV & film began her career as a stand-in for Faye Dunnaway in "Bonnie and Clyde"

YOU MAY BE A WALNUT... $800: ...if your shell was the cradle of this tiny little thing in the Hans Christian Andersen tale about her
(Eric: Who is the Little Mermaid?)

SCIENCE "N" MEDICINE $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates by stirring a powder into a beaker of liquid.) When stomach acid, represented here, backs up into the esophagus, it causes heartburn; taking an antacid, which is a base, does this to some of the acid, relieving the symptoms

WHAT MEN WANT $400: It was a woman who wrote that "A single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of" this
(Brian: What is a good woman?)

WHAT MEN WANT $1600: This coach clarified that "Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is"
(Kerry: Who is Rockne?)

THEY PLAYED COACHELLA $2000: The 2014 festival featured more than 150 acts, including this superstar dance DJ born Sonny Moore

CORRECT RESPONSES
Eisenhower
Justified
air-to-air
alive and kicking
the kernel
mortar
Quito
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Tarzan
kiddush
the Chrysler Building
maple
Morgan Fairchild
Thumbelina
neutralize
a wife
(Vince) Lombardi
Skrillex
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

NYC Landmarks
The lobby of this landmark has an art deco ceiling fresco by Edward Trumbull called "Transport and Human Endeavor".

Spoiler
What is the Chrystler Building? Eric said Penn Station; Brian said Grand Central Station.

Bran Carrick: $18,800-#12,200=$6,600
Eric Simmonds: $14,800-$8,801=$5,999
Kerry Greene: $11,800+$11,800=$23,600...now a 4-day champion with $89,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Coup de fois gras

Post by dhkendall »

Anyone else catch a new (at least to me) AOL commercial featuring Ken Jennings during the show?

So is Final supposed to be a YEKIOYD or what? (I was quite pleased of myself that I came up with Grand Central Station ... :oops: )

Precalling that we will get a visit from Sage. Just as another user is bound to come if someone forgets to state their response in the form of a question and loses in a close game, Sage is bound to come if a certain French phrase comes up and is inevitably "mispronounced". (Perhaps this could be the Beetlejuice Rule?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Yeah Kerry!!! Tortoises, hares and all that.

Nice to get the early DD by having a peek at the golf-themed TD yesterday.

Easy geography category in J!, and another easy geography category in DJ!? Writers, you're too kind. That Coachella category was fun, I was very much excited about the Stooges clue (what an amazing band). Skrillex described as "Superstar dance DJ"? OK, dad.

Settled on the Chrysler Building about ten seconds in. I think "lobby" had me leaning towards a tall building rather than a train station, and I knew the Chrysler was put up around when Art Deco was blowing up.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also had Grand Central Station. I don't think of the Chrysler Building in relation to transportation, like I would a railroad station or JFK Airport.

When I think of Bill Clinton's presidential pleasures, the saxophone and crossword puzzles aren't the first things that come to mind.

Congrats to Kerry on win #4!!!!!! Good luck getting into the TOC tomorrow.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a hot game! I could find reasons to cheer for any of the contestants, but I was leaning toward Eric. He had that go-getter spirit. The middle contestant had the DD of desperation. Kerry was more the "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" winner.

I think the only serious way to get today's FJ was to know it. Guessing is apt to bring unhappy results. Like AT said, many possibilities. I said Grand Central Terminal (not station). I knew it wasn't Penn Station because the current Penn Station has all the architectural ambiance of an ER. I was uneasy about my choice and thought it might be Rockefeller Center. I knew it wasn't the Empire State Building. I guess I have never been in the Chrysler Building, dammit.

Has a "NYC" category ever included anything in the outerboroughs?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So the number of volts in an AA battery is $200 material huh? I use AA batteries daily and never knew that.

"Anti-aircraft" was negbait IMO, and the others below it way too obscure.

0/5 in TV. 30 Rock was the only title I even recognized.

Also too tough for $200: kernel and Baltic Sea.

WLT Atlantic on Morgana for $400?

The whole J! board felt like a UTOC board to me; nothing seemed remotely accessible, and TOMs sorely lacking or too obscure.

WLT "wife" on What Men Want for $400?

There is one clue in Coachella that's made me happy. Actually, I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad. I got sunshine in a bag. I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on.

Oddly, despite J! leaving me confused as all hell, I got 15 in DJ!, with a run of Science "N" Medicine.

NHO Morrissey/The Smiths or Iggy Pop/The Stooges, though I did get Skrillex and Tupac thanks entirely to TV Tropes. (I probably could've gotten Skrillex even without knowing his distinctive hair and glasses, since it obviously wasn't deadmau5.)

AT was right: FJ! had a lot of possibilities, but "Transport" had me stuck on, well, transport related buildings. Grand Central? Penn Station? LaGuardia? JFK? Even "car" wouldn't have led me to Chrysler Building.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

NYC landmark + art deco = Chrysler Building. I didn't even read the rest of the clue. Mildly surprised it was a single get, but I'm a NYer so I won't pretend to be objective here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Coup de fois gras

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:So is Final supposed to be a YEKIOYD or what? (I was quite pleased of myself that I came up with Grand Central Station ... :oops: )
Pretty much, although as was mentioned above, "lobby" should have steered me to the Chrysler Building (which I have never been inside), but put me down for Grand Central Terminal.
TenPoundHammer wrote:So the number of volts in an AA battery is $200 material huh?
Yes, it is. Every battery that isn't a 9V is 1.5 volts.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Learned 20 years ago that NYC + Art Deco = Chrysler Building in various trivia games.

However, the Empire State Building is Art Deco as well. Thought someone would fall for that neg.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Kerry, on your fourth win! This was an excellent game for all of the contestants, at least up through FJ. I had 38 correct responses including the triple-stumper of mortar. I guessed Grand Central Station for FJ.
econgator wrote: Every battery that isn't a 9V is 1.5 volts.
No. There are 6-volt and 12-volt "lantern" batteries. Some button batteries (like CR2032) are 3 volts. Most car batteries are 12.6 volts. Also, my grandparents had a portable tube radio (made in about 1950) that had a 67.5-volt battery. I touched the terminals of the battery and got a mild shock.
Last edited by Abraxas on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Golf wrote:Learned 20 years ago that NYC + Art Deco = Chrysler Building in various trivia games.

However, the Empire State Building is Art Deco as well. Thought someone would fall for that neg.
I'm willing to bet that, if not every time then probably 90% of the time, when J! asks about a NYC building with "art deco" being the strongest or only hint, they're looking for the Chrysler Building. Not that this would've helped tonight's challengers, since they were focused on the transportation angle.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Golf wrote:Learned 20 years ago that NYC + Art Deco = Chrysler Building in various trivia games.

Another Art Deco building is Radio City Music Hall, but that would be Pavlov for art deco theater. Everyone should memorize Art Deco = Chrysler Building.

Grand Central is not a bad guess, but as a daily commuter through it for 6 years, I knew the ceiling was not by a famous artist.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:I also had Grand Central Station. I don't think of the Chrysler Building in relation to transportation, like I would a railroad station or JFK Airport.

When I think of Bill Clinton's presidential pleasures, the saxophone and crossword puzzles aren't the first things that come to mind.

Congrats to Kerry on win #4!!!!!! Good luck getting into the TOC tomorrow.
May 6, 2007 and the puzzle was called Twistin the Oldies. Those with a subscription to the NY TImes Crossword puzzles can solve it online if they didn't eight years ago, or even if they did. Joon Pahk would probably remember it, he finished eighth in the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament two weekends ago.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a fun game to watch. Congrats to Kerry on the 4th win!

I loved how there was a geography category in both rounds. The only bad thing was that I was never going to pull "Sofia" in 5 seconds.

I was waiting for Alex to do his Tarzan voice when it became clear that that clue was going to be a triple stumper :roll:

Yes, the Chrysler Building is Pavlov for "Art Deco"...provided that you don't overlook the obvious TOM. I read the clue and immediately went to New York City's 3 famous art museums (Guggenheim, MOMA, Metropolitan) and started trying to figure out which one it was. I went with the Metropolitan, with no confidence at all. I have missed quite a few forehead slapper FJs lately.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I knew art deco is Chrysler bldg, but the transport and human endeavor wording (as in going West or along those lines) led me to grand central.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

I can practically read the weekly poll options...
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Abraxas wrote:No. There are 6-volt and 12-volt "lantern" batteries. Some button batteries (like CR2032) are 3 volts. Most car batteries are 12.6 volts. Also, my grandparents had a portable tube radio (made in about 1950) that had a 67.5-volt battery. I touched the terminals of the battery and got a mild shock.
He was referring to AA's, so my comment was about the ones similar to them (C, D, etc...).
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Like I said on the reddits, between the wine prayer and the charoset clues, this was a pretty good game to be a Jew in :D

Instaget FJ, mainly because I never even thought of Grand Central Station.