Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7043, 2015-04-08

Kerry Greene game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Kaya Chua, a technology consultant from Chula Vista, California
Travis Miscia, an attorney from Jersey City, New Jersey
Kerry Greene, a volunteer guardian ad litem from Manchester, New Hampshire (whose 5-day cash winnings total $126,598)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. I hope you are in awe of our champion as much as I am. She--every time out, she seems to increase her average winnings. She's up more than $25,000 per victory. So, Travis and Kaya, good luck. You're gonna need it, but let's see what happens in this first round as we get things started with these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1995 BESTSELLERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ZERO TO SIXTY (4/5) (Alex: Hey, we're movin'.)
TV SHOWS PAST & PRESENT (5/5)
STARTS WITH DOUBLE LETTERS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response.)
ANOTHER FIN MESS (4/4) (Alex: And we want you to unscramble the fish name in [*], not "fine".)
YOU'VE GOTTEN ME INTO... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kaya: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Kerry: 8 R, 1 W
Travis: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kaya found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Kerry was in the hole with -$600, Travis had $400, and Kaya was at $3,800. Kaya made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

1995 BESTSELLERS $600: More regenerated dinosaurs were on the prowl in this bestselling follow-up to "Jurassic Park"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kaya: $9,600
Kerry: $600
Travis: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Before coming to the studio today, I was dealing with some fan mail, and I had to sign a $2 bill for a viewer because they collect them.

Kaya: Mm-hmm.

Alex: And you use $2 bills as icebreakers, don't you?

Kaya: Yeah, that's right. Um, once in a while, I'll just, um, go to the, like, bank and get a stack of $2 bills, and I use them to pay for things. Um--

Alex: Do people ever give you a--a double take on them and say, "Wait a minute. What is this? I haven't seen this before"?

Kaya: Once in a while. Once in a while, you'll have somebody stick it up to the light to see if it's actually real or...

Alex: Yeah?

Kaya: They don't know what to do with it, where to put it in the register, so...

Alex: Oh, that's right.

Kaya: Yeah.

Alex: You don't have a box for it anymore.

Kaya: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Okay, complications. Thank you, Kaya.

Alex: Travis Miscia from Jersey City, New Jersey. Uh, I hear your first word was "Bob."

Travis: It was. Uh...

Alex: Not "mom," not "dada."

Travis: No. No.

Alex: "Bob." Why?

Travis: And people were concerned about that, but, uh, it was after Bob Verini, who was, uh--

Alex: An early 5-time Jeopardy! champion!

Travis: Exactly! And I guess Jeopardy! was on all the time when I was a baby. I was sitting in front of it. And one day, to my parents' great surprise, I said, "Bob".

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you. I'm glad Jeopardy! figured into your early years.

Alex: Kerry Greene is our champion. We were talking, uh, yesterday about travels, and you took your mom to Toronto. You have a special theme that you like to follow when you travel. It's based on wines.

Kerry: Well, I--I guess it started mostly with New Zealand--

Alex: Uh-huh.

Alex: --because we spent 18 days there about 10 years ago, and we drank our way across the country.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Kerry: And, uh, then, you know, we went to Germany for some skating and decided we'd have some wine there, too. And now my plan is South Africa for our 25th anniversary, so...

Alex: Great wines in South Africa.

Kerry: Yeah, I think it sounds good.

Alex: You're gonna enjoy that, too.

[Kerry laughs.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1995 BESTSELLERS $800: In 1995 James Redfield wrote "An Experiential Guide" to this book; 2 years later came "The Celestine Vision"
(Kerry: What is the Bible?)

ZERO TO SIXTY $1000: This Toyota 4x4 celebrated 60 years of sailing the Earth in 2014

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kaya: $12,600
Kerry: $4,000
Travis: $1,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PARABLES OF JESUS (4/5)
ALL YOU NEED IS "LOVE" (5/5)
NBA TEAM NAMES EN ESPAÑOL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORLD HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FAMILY MATTERS (5/5)
4-LETTER U.S. CITIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerry: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Kaya: 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Travis: 4 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Travis snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Kerry had $4,000, Travis had $2,600, and Kaya was at $13,000. Travis wagered $2,000.

WORLD HISTORY $1200: Executed as a spy at Vincennes in 1917, she once said, "I never could dance well"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kaya who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Kerry had $14,000, Travis had $6,200, and Kaya was at $19,800. Kaya wagered $12,000.

NBA TEAM NAMES EN ESPAÑOL $1200: Las Pepitas de Oro
(Kaya: [Mouths the clue] What are the... [Shakes head])
[Beep]
(Kaya: [Whispers] Nuggets, Nuggets.)
(Alex: Sorry. "What are [*]?" [*]. Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD HISTORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) On October 21, 1805, a combined fleet of 33 French & Spanish ships was defeated by the British in a famous naval battle off this sandy cape on Spain's southern coast

PARABLES OF JESUS $1600: "A Parable of" this common Mediterranean fruit tree when it "putteth forth leaves" is about the Second Coming
(Kaya: What is the... Date Tree?)

NBA TEAM NAMES EN ESPAÑOL $1600: Los Caballeros
(Kaya: ...Who are the Kings?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kerry: $16,400
Kaya: $9,400
Travis: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE'S CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kerry: Wager $2,401 to cover Kaya, but no more than $7,999 so as not to fall behind Travis's doubled score.
Kaya: You have the hope of surpassing Kerry if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Kerry to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Travis.
Travis: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the Bard's few plays with children on stage is this one with 2 brothers who last appear alive in Act III, Scene i

FINAL SCORES
Travis: $4,200 - $4,199 = $1 (What is King Lear) (2nd place)
Kaya: $9,400 - $9,400 = $0 (What is Macbeth?) (3rd place)
Kerry: $16,400 + $3,600 = $20,000 (What is Richard III?) (126599-day champion: $20,000)
(Alex: Two little princes that the lead character has murdered.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kaya: $18,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kerry: $16,400, 18 R, 1 W
Travis: $3,400, 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kaya: 27/60 = .450
Kerry: 19/58 = .328
Travis: 8/59 = .136
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANOTHER FIN MESS $800: From Faber College?
FOND LURE
(Travis: [Shakes head] No. Sorry.)
(Alex: Oh, nothing's coming to you?)

1995 BESTSELLERS $400: "My American Journey" by this soldier-statesman was a No. 1 nonfiction bestseller that year

ZERO TO SIXTY $400: 2014 marked the 60th anniversary of this brand's gullwing 300SL, driven by Clark Gable & Sophia Loren

STARTS WITH DOUBLE LETTERS $400: Right after aardvark in the dictionary, you'll find this animal

TV SHOWS PAST & PRESENT $1000: Starbuck & Apollo were pilots, not a coffee shop & a god; a tip of the Caprica--Earth is thataway
(Alex: Good, with a minute to go.)

ZERO TO SIXTY $200: In 1997 Volkswagen turned 60 and began rolling out the "New" version of this model
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

4-LETTER U.S. CITIES $2000: This neighbor of Provo was named for the president of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad
(Travis: What is Oren?)

FAMILY MATTERS $1600: Tartans represent these familial groups; the MacDonalds wear the one seen here

NBA TEAM NAMES EN ESPAÑOL $2000: Los Reyes
(Travis: Who are the Suns?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Lost World
The Celestine Prophecy
the Land Cruiser
Mata Hari
the Denver Nuggets
Trafalgar
the Fig Tree
the Cleveland Cavaliers
Richard III
flounder
Colin Powell
Mercedes
the aardwolf
Battlestar Galactica
the "Bug" (or the Beetle)
Orem
clans
the (Sacramento) Kings

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Shakespeare's Characters
One of the Bard's few plays with children on stage is this one with 2 brothers who last appear alive in Act III, Scene I.

Spoiler
What is Richard III? Travis said King Lear; Kaya said MacBeth.

Kerry Greene: $16,400+$3,600=$20,000...now a 6-day champion with $146,598
Kaya Chua: $9,400-$9,400=$0
Travis Miscia: $4,200-$4,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

How satisfying it was to watch Kaya get her instant comeuppance. She was basically a female Arthur Chu, combined with the arrogance of that player from last week whose hubris took three days to unmake him. Kaya took care of that in only one day. It wasn't enough for her to have a $5800 lead. She had to make a bet that was more than sufficient to make her a lock if she got it right, but left her practically out of contention if she got it wrong. In a category about which she knew almost nothing and had already been negged.

So once again Kerry snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. UGO Kerry! Kerry's understated playing is an inspiration. And I like watching her rake the cash in on FJ.

Thinking of "out, out, brief candle," I said Macbeth.
Last edited by floridagator on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

floridagator wrote:How satisfying it was to watch Maya get her instant comeuppance. She was like Arthur Chu with lipstick, combined with the arrogance of that player from last week whose hubris took three days to unmake him.
Is any of this, particularly the bolded, really necessary? I'm glad you're satisfied because someone lost at Jeopardy!, but I think it might be in better taste to keep it to yourself.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:
floridagator wrote:How satisfying it was to watch Maya get her instant comeuppance. She was like Arthur Chu with lipstick, combined with the arrogance of that player from last week whose hubris took three days to unmake him.
Is any of this, particularly the bolded, really necessary? I'm glad you're satisfied because someone lost at Jeopardy!, but I think it might be in better taste to keep it to yourself.
Seconded.

(PS, you might be taken seriously if you got the player's name correct - both times you wrote it.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was a gutsy wager, but I would not have gone that big. She was up by $5,800 with $4,000 left on the board.

It may be a bit unfair to say she knows "almost nothing" about the subject. She probably isn't fluent in Spanish, but nuggets isn't a word you're likely to run across in high school Spanish class. I had heard of oro, but could not remember what it meant. For some reason I thought it meant the sun and guessed the Heat. :oops:

An instaget FJ for me, not what I expected with a Shakespeare category. The princes in the tower led quickly to Richard III.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:It was a gutsy wager, but I would not have gone that big. She was up by $5,800 with $4,000 left on the board.
It could be Exhibit A for my rule #1 of wagering: "Wager based on your knowledge of and comfortability with the category." Rules 2 and following are cribbed from Keith.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm possibly the only one here who got "aardwolf" merely because I've been playing Wolfenstein 3D (and reliving my teenage years) pretty steadily the past weeks (and trying to find that damn sign)

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Holy dog-walking crow, that was quality TV. Kerry just keeps quietly shrugging off very able contestants (although Kaya was very much her own undoing today).

I was amazed she couldn't pull Nuggets out. She lives in Chula Vista and clearly fancied herself to be able to figure any of the 30 team names out. Oro = Gold, that's standard, and where else could you go from there? I'll admit that it's tricky since she may have been looking for a two-word name. "Golden State Warriors" would have been a spectacular miss. What's more, when she mumbled the answer to herself after she ran out of time, I thought she said, "f*ck it, f*ck it".

This wasn't really a Shakespeare FJ so much as an English royalty FJ, and I couldn't recall who the fella was but I knew it what it was referring to. Richard III sounded like it fit, so I locked it in and hey hey hey, look at that.

All aboard the Kerry train!!!

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Darn it, Kaya. I so wish that DD could have gone the other way for you :(

But hey, congrats to Kerry for being a superchamp.

Zyzzyva
Valued Contributor

Post by Zyzzyva »

Hey y'all! This is Kaya. K-A-Y-A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAm-kDXX0f4

I'll be back on a bit later after the show has aired locally, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on the DD.

I thought this was a favorable category. I follow the NBA, I know some Spanish, and I ran the "MLB Teams in French" category from a few months ago during practice. The neg on $1600 was me translating caballeros as knights or gentlemen, but not coming up with the actual NBA equivalent in time.

So when I hit the DD, I still felt fairly confident. There are really two reasonable wagers: betting $4000-$5000 and going for the crush game, or making a play for the lock going into final. Get this right in a category I think I like, and if I'm wrong, leave myself a chance to get into a two-thirds game from behind. I went big and have zero regrets.

See http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1402/1402.0571.pdf for an analysis of Watson's endgame wagering.

As far as the clue, well, unfortunately, "de oro" immediately pavlov'd me to Golden to Golden State Warriors, and I knew that had to be wrong. So I was cycling through the Western Conference teams and came up on the Nuggets after the timer had gone off. I don't know if you were able to see or hear me muttering "Who are the nuggets?" while my head was down. Sigh...

I don't get all the hubris talk. I was trying to maximize my chances, and I have a healthy awareness of my own limitations when it comes to FJ.

Also, while I'm sure the lipstick comment was intended to be degrading by several measures, I am choosing to regard the comparison to a fine player such as Arthur as a compliment.

Zyzzyva
Valued Contributor

Post by Zyzzyva »

grindcore wrote:"f*ck it, f*ck it"
That kind of sounds like nuggets.

sajcmm
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sajcmm »

I am a long time Jeopardy Fan. I think AT is great. However, has anyone else noticed that his famous impartiality toward contestants has started to slip? On April 8, it was evident. His replies and enthusiastic response to the male, Cambridge person was encouraging and elaborate. His replies to the champion were less enthusiastic, some might say dismissive. AT should be told that some of his fans are noticing. When I first noticed, I thought he was anti-female bias, but now is the fourth or fifth show I have noticed it on. Please, someone tell Alex to return to his impartial responses. His fans want the old AT back.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You had to bet huge on FJ, but I wish you had held back some so your final score would have been $2, given your love of the bill. (It also would have earned you another 500 Jeffersons).

Anyway, congrats on making it to the show, which is a lot further than most of the haters out there will ever be able to do.

I also thought you said something bad after missing the DD and had to rewind it a bit.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I neg'd Golden State Warriors myself.

Is it me, or has there been a dramatic increase of Bible themed categories lately? Exodus yesterday, Parables today...

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought for sure our rightmost player would dominate throughout, but that DD miss was a real turning point.

I thought Aaron Rodgers was undervalued at $200.

Mary Higgins Clark was my only get in 1995 Best Sellers. Mom reads her a lot.

Land Cruiser and Battlestar Galactica kept me at 4/5 in their categories.

3/5 in NBA. "Oh, caballeros. People who ride horses. Cowboys? No, that's NFL… [beep beep beep] …who the bleep are the Cavaliers?!" Also got hung up on "Gold(en)" on the DD and didn't get to Nuggets, whom I also don't recognize as a team name.

0/5 in US Cities. Racked my brains to think of a 4-letter city in Michigan and came up blank, with "myth" only distracting instead of helping. No guess on the other four.

I clammed on World History for $400 since I knew it was a Gandhi but didn't know which one. Turns out I didn't need to.

Don't recognize a parable about a fig tree. Recognized the other four, but only got the first two.

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:
Amen. I'm sick and tired of hearing all this bullshit about hubris.

NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Shakespeare's histories. Why did it have to be Shakespeare's histories? Tragedies, I know. Comedies, I know. But we never delved into the histories. AAAAAAAARGH
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Zyzzyva wrote:
grindcore wrote:"f*ck it, f*ck it"
That kind of sounds like nuggets.
Heh. I still didn't have it when I heard you muttering and thought, "What did she just ... ohhhh, Nuggets. Yeah, that makes sense."