500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

legendneverdies wrote: THursday's two hour 8-10PM EST finale of 500Q will be up against ESPN's coverage of the National SPelling Bee finals.
Ugh ugh ugh ugh

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for DVR!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

nightreign wrote:
legendneverdies wrote: THursday's two hour 8-10PM EST finale of 500Q will be up against ESPN's coverage of the National SPelling Bee finals.
Ugh ugh ugh ugh

If you're on Pacific Time, there should be no conflict. The Bee will start at five and 500Q will start at 8.

In the Mountain Time Zone (those parts on DST), there'll be an overlap of an hour or more. The Bee will start at six and 500Q will start at 7. Right??

In the Mountain Time Zone (those parts not on DST), there may be some overlap. The Bee will start at five and 500Q will start at 7. Right??

Set your DVRs as needed.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After getting through 42 questions last night, we are now at 205 after five episodes.

Yeah, they ain't getting to 500.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Megan, nooo!!!!! :D
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

One interesting thing is that while J! almost never puts a DD into a potpourri/hodgepodge category, 500Q will put a Battle/Top Ten Challenge/Triple Threat in a random category.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Do challengers get any money or parting gifts?

Although I'm getting more into the game, I really think the game concept is flawed with regard to the role of the challengers. I don't want to watch them just stand there waiting for the champ to screw up.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Leander wrote:Do challengers get any money or parting gifts?

Although I'm getting more into the game, I really think the game concept is flawed with regard to the role of the challengers. I don't want to watch them just stand there waiting for the champ to screw up.
1. They should move through the questions much more quickly - only pausing for Top 10, Battle or when there are two XXs.
2. The challenger should always choose the category.
ptucker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ptucker »

1. As far as I can tell, nothing special happens if you get to 500 questions. It seems to just be an unreachable limit. If the creators of this show had been the original producers of Jeopardy, it would have been called "5 Episodes."

2. Will there even be a challenger for Thursday's episode? At the current pace, it would be impossible for the last contestant's challenger to make any money. Doesn't that create a perverse incentive for a challenger to just tank the battles?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ptucker wrote:1. As far as I can tell, nothing special happens if you get to 500 questions. It seems to just be an unreachable limit. If the creators of this show had been the original producers of Jeopardy, it would have been called "5 Episodes."

2. Will there even be a challenger for Thursday's episode? At the current pace, it would be impossible for the last contestant's challenger to make any money. Doesn't that create a perverse incentive for a challenger to just tank the battles?
Hopefully one of the contestants can clarify for us how this was explained at the taping, but my assumption is that whatever contestant is left standing at this 9-hour stretch of gameplay, this will be Thursday at 10 PM, that player would presumably get to come back and continue should the show get renewed for a second season. This could be either a challenger that has just taken over the spot, or a player that has just cleared a board and won some money. It would kind of suck to be the last player standing and have it be the end of the show's run, and it would suck even more to find out several months later that there aren't going to be any future tapings.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

According to abc.com, tonight's summary of the episode says the following: "More than halfway down the road to 500 questions and the geniuses continue to face off in the toughest game ever devised."

Could it be that they only intended to ask 500 total questions across the 9 game streak? (Hence the slower pacing?)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ZachTheRiah wrote:According to abc.com, tonight's summary of the episode says the following: "More than halfway down the road to 500 questions and the geniuses continue to face off in the toughest game ever devised."

Could it be that they only intended to ask 500 total questions across the 9 game streak? (Hence the slower pacing?)
There were never going to get to 500, and clearly they knew this when editing the show, even if they didn't know before the taping. I don't really understand why they keep giving the impression that there are going to be 500 questions. 9 hours would require 55-60 questions per show to get to 500, they are only getting through 35-40 questions in most shows. It will probably be a stretch to even make it to 400 questions.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I liked last night much better, when there were triumphant and entertaining boardies all over my TV.

Great run, Steve! Sorry to see you go.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After another 39 questions tonight, we are at 244 after six episodes.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Steve:
Spoiler
Congratulations on a great run and getting a chance to fulfill a dream. You made the show entertaining (more than I could say for the host!)
Megan:
Spoiler
Sorry to see you not get a chance to go to the lead podium, but at least you lost to another boardie! You were also an entertaining player.
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

nightreign wrote:
Ugh ugh ugh ugh

I can't imagine watching this show without DVR, regardless of opposing programming. It moves too slow otherwise.
Sheepin' it real.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Picking Architecture while looking at a 1R, 3W was an interesting selection with many reasons to go elsewhere.

Redemption for a KJL can take more than a decade, I guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just watched my tape of Monday and Tuesday's shows tonight, so a bit late to the party.
alietr wrote:I had to explain that one to Carol Anne ...
I coerced my wife into watching Monday's ep with me (under the guise that Megan was on, hoping she remembered when we both watched her on Wheel about 6 months ago), my wife isn't big into trivia at all, but she had a hoot with Megan. I did have to explain to her the "in jokes" that were clearly for the trivia community, though, like you had to with Carol Anne.
econgator wrote:
hanzz wrote:
econgator wrote:The Vatican is NOT an attraction in Rome.
Depends on what your definition of "in" is.
Not one that allows The Vatican to be correct. :)
I thought the same thing (that the Vatican was incorrect because it's not in Rome because Vatican City is not part of Rome), but, since it was one of those "Top Ten Challenges", I would have thrown it in there since I wouldn't be penalized for a wrong answer, and I figured it was ambiguous enough that someone (like the writers) might say the Vatican is in Rome.
MitchO wrote:Socksygen is the name of my Sock Hop Tom Lehrer cover band.
MP3s or it didn't happen.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Picking Architecture while looking at a 1R, 3W was an interesting selection with many reasons to go elsewhere.

I thought his LL record was redemption enough. Dude didn't need to prove himself to me, his reputation preceded him.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

I wish the current contestant (Adam?) did not feel the need to explain his motive for every choice. It's slow enough as it is. Just play the game, please.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

MarkBarrett wrote:http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Even though I missed Chrysler Building for literally no reason, I had decided those architecture questions were pretty easy so I left them. The last one was...pretty easy, I think, but I really wish I'd just played it off like I initially intended.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!