500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by Lampy »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I have decided that the next time our Stentorian host orders the contestants to "prepare for battle!", that one of them will nod, smile at the camera, and then bellow...

"THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"
There was all kinds of weird stuff we did when stepping into battle. Jonathan did a Scorpion "get over here" spear throw at me and I threw a Hadoken back...got cut.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You could answer as few as 167 questions correctly and still complete Quest's quest. And if you didn't get any right in the first guess, you would leave with no money.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Bamaman wrote:You could answer as few as 167 questions correctly and still complete Quest's quest. And if you didn't get any right in the first guess, you would leave with no money.
I think more impressive is the fact that you could answer as many as 500 questions correctly and still leave with no money.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I thought they give bonuses every time you accumulate multiples of 25 questions.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:I thought they give bonuses every time you accumulate multiples of 25 questions.
You get 5,000 every time you get through the first 25 in each round, but I think you still have to get it right on the first try to get the money.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
harrumph wrote:I thought they give bonuses every time you accumulate multiples of 25 questions.
You get 5,000 every time you get through the first 25 in each round, but I think you still have to get it right on the first try to get the money.
You do, I'm sure Steve answered on a later guess on one of his "milestone" questions and didn't get the bonus.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

So, what was the last network primetime quiz show that didn't offer -- and heavily promote -- at least the promise of a seven-figure payoff?
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
You do, I'm sure Steve answered on a later guess on one of his "milestone" questions and didn't get the bonus.
The only milestone Q's are actually 25, 75, 125, 175, etc. And the second one of those I had was a battle I lost.

If it's not a battle you have to get it right first try.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Re: 500 Questions

Post by DHicton »

dhkendall wrote:Didn't like the show very much at all. The thing that put me off the most was the absolute glacial pace of it, maybe this is my Jeopardy! fandom talking, but they can get through 61 questions easily in half an hour,...
Except on Celebrity Jeopardy!
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

dhkendall wrote:(And, again, having my blood type be type Maple Syrup seems to automatically disqualify me too.)
The contestants should consider themselves fortunate that the show doesn't admit you or other type Maple Syrup people. This shit is easy (so far, anyway).
dhkendall wrote:
NYCScribbler wrote:hell, give 'em a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni or something.
That reminds me, do they even still make the stuff? I haven't seen it on store shelves (or in advertisements) for years. And, oddly, a forum of game show aficionados might know, given its association with game shows.
Rice-A-Roni always struck me as the kind of product tailor-made for people with no talent in the kitchen or who have no sense of taste or smell, so they can still make something palatable for other people. I mean, take leftover rice and leftover pasta, put 'em together with seasonings, a half cup of stock, and some chopped veggies, and hey presto!
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

Bamaman wrote:You could answer as few as 167 questions correctly and still complete Quest's quest. And if you didn't get any right in the first guess, you would leave with no money.
You could actually get less than this I believe. If you passed a Top Ten Challenge when you had a strike or two and your opponent wasn't able to complete it, and then you immediately miss 2 in a row and do it again. And so on.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Rex Kramer wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:Also, I put the quotes around "answer 500 questions" because the players are not really being asked to do that, no matter how many times the host says that they are. They are being asked to navigate through 500 questions without ever getting three wrong in a row (subject to various asterisks, including the ability to blitz). So, even if someone does get through 500 questions, they will likely have only answered perhaps 350 correctly, and fewer than that on the first guess.
You're the one who added the "correctly" requirement.

Rex
"Correctly" is implied when one says "answer 500 questions." And a contestant doesn't even have to provide an answer to every question. Steve has had a couple where he hasn't even hazarded a guess.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote: Santa, for Christmas I want a reality show starring Steve Bahnaman and Colby Burnett. I don't even care what it's about.
"Footwear"
I'd watch it.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:"Correctly" is implied when one says "answer 500 questions."
No, "correctly" is implied when one says "answer 500 questions without making a mistake". "Answer" simply means "provide a response to".

Let's say you take a test in school, and you fill in "Stockholm" as a response to question #7. Then a friend asks you, "Hey, how did you answer #7?" Do you respond:
a) "I said 'Stockholm',", or
b) "I don't know if I answered yet. If the correct answer was 'Stockholm,' then I said 'Stockholm.' If the correct answer was 'Helsinki,' then I didn't say anything."?

Rex
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Sun May 24, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Linear Gnome wrote:I'm apparently easy to please (or maybe it's because I'm feeling laid-back with the semester being over), but I like it, and I don't even mind the host that much. Looking forward to seeing how rundle-mate Rafferty Barnes does next week.

Santa, for Christmas I want a reality show starring Steve Bahnaman and Colby Burnett. I don't even care what it's about.
I'm in. Colby????
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

goatman wrote:NO, they're not all Republican, Steve, Truman was decidedly Democrat and Teddy Roosevelt was a Bull Moose Progressive, tyvm.
For what it's worth I said they were named "by" Republicans, the joke being the exceptionally tame insinuation that Republicans dislike Jimmy Carter.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Fleeboy wrote:So, what was the last network primetime quiz show that didn't offer -- and heavily promote -- at least the promise of a seven-figure payoff?
For a Q&A show it would probably be the Hollywood Game on CBS in 1992 produced by the recently deceased Marty Pasetta's company. It's top winner won about $35K, as the bonus was worth $25K and maingame winnings were between $5K-$10K IIRC. Hollywood Game Night which returns this SUmmer has a top prize of $25K. These two games are pop culture based games however. FOr a hard Q&A show that didn't offer seven figures, probably SUper J! 25 years ago with its $250K prize for the champ.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Rex Kramer wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:"Correctly" is implied when one says "answer 500 questions."
No, "correctly" is implied when one says "answer 500 questions without making a mistake". "Answer" simply means "provide a response to".

Let's say you take a test in school, and you fill in "Stockholm" as a response to question #7. Then a friend asks you, "Hey, how did you answer #7?" Do you respond:
a) "I said 'Stockholm',", or
b) "I don't know if I answered yet. If the correct answer was 'Stockholm,' then I said 'Stockholm.' If the correct answer was 'Helsinki,' then I didn't say anything."?

Rex
Actually, when you say "without making a mistake," you're not implying anything. You're outright stating that the answers must be correct. Do you really believe that what Richard Quest means when he says "answer 500 questions" is "provide a response to 500 questions"? The rules of the game don't even require a response, and the contestants have failed to provide a response on some of the questions, so that's clearly not what he's suggesting. It also adds nothing to the cachet of the game to suggest that, while it does add something to imply that the contestant has to answer 500 questions correctly. You could bring someone in off the street who could "provide a response" to 500 questions. They wouldn't need to be a "certified genius."

Your example is beside the point. It ignores the context of the actual situation we're discussing, and it imagines a completely different context.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:Your example is beside the point. It ignores the context of the actual situation we're discussing, and it imagines a completely different context.
I'm probably a little more familiar with the context of 500 Questions than you are. It was clear from the beginning that there was no requirement to answer 500 questions correctly, and the person who is imagining a different context in which such a requirement is implied is you.

Rex
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Brian, Bill, can't we all just get along? I don't think you guys are actually arguing anything, other than a minor semantic issue. I think we all know that the show's challenge is, ostensibly, to navigate 500 Questions without ever coming up on the short end of 3 questions in a row. By coming up short, I mean failing to provide a correct answer, or losing a battle, or having the challenger successfully complete a 5 of 10 question. And of course, I say ostensibly, because we all know at this point that no one could have actually gone through 500 questions within the number of hours that this show was programmed for. Did I say all that right?