500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Commercials for 500 Questions are starting to pop up on ABC.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Can you spot all the former Jeopardy! contestants in this commercial? :D
boson
Trivial

Re: 500 Questions

Post by boson »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Commercials for 500 Questions are starting to pop up on ABC.

It kinda, maybe, sorta looks like you are one of them... Other than that, I'm not the best one to judge. Hope you won a pile of cash!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Commercials for 500 Questions are starting to pop up on ABC.

This is going to be fun! I recognized you and Steve; was that a really quick shot of Pam Mueller?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

ElendilPickle wrote:

This is going to be fun! I recognized you and Steve; was that a really quick shot of Pam Mueller?
Looks like her.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Is this the show that was talked about earlier, about being the smartest person in America, and Jeopardy! on steroids?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

DCrawshawJr wrote:Is this the show that was talked about earlier, about being the smartest person in America, and Jeopardy! on steroids?
Yes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It looks a little like the Million Second Quiz.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Can you tell us a little bit about how the game is played or what makes it special?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

10 categories, five questions per category. If you get three in a row wrong, you're out. You have a challenger waiting to take your place on the show, and sometimes you may face off against that person (in a category such as Elvis's #1 hits, where you and the other person alternate naming those songs) or a double thing, where you name one part of an answer to a question and the other person names the other part.

At least, that's how it went when I auditioned. I don't know if anything changed after that.

ETA it was a really interesting, challenging audition. I think this is going to be a lot of fun to watch.
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

ElendilPickle wrote:10 categories, five questions per category. If you get three in a row wrong, you're out. You have a challenger waiting to take your place on the show, and sometimes you may face off against that person (in a category such as Elvis's #1 hits, where you and the other person alternate naming those songs) or a double thing, where you name one part of an answer to a question and the other person names the other part.

At least, that's how it went when I auditioned. I don't know if anything changed after that.
That actually does sound like a lot of fun. Has a bit of a thunderdome element to it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The biggest thing that, to me, sets this show apart from basically all other quiz shows, is the ability to "blitz" answers, which anyone who went through even the first stages of the audition process should have been exposed to. Instead of having to give one answer to the question, the players are allowed to "blitz" through as many possible options as they can get through within the time limit, which may be 10 or 15 seconds, I'm not positive what limit they used for the show. I think there is a difference in what you earn for each question based on whether you get it right on your first answer or on a subsequent one, but I don't know the exact mechanics.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

It was lovely to meet you, Ms. Pickle! It was funny, the crew was so concerned about us seeing other contestants that they made me stand with my face to the wall when another person was walking down the hall, but then a suspiciously large number of out-of-towners showed up to O'Brien's that night.

They've been so concerned about secrecy that I was told not even to tell anyone that I was in California, so I'm glad my face was in a commercial now so I can out myself. Besides me and Pam, I count 4 other J! people in that commerical, though one is hiding his face.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I enjoyed meeting you as well! Thanks for encouraging me to audition. I hope the show does really well so I can try again. :)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ElendilPickle wrote:I enjoyed meeting you as well! Thanks for encouraging me to audition. I hope the show does really well so I can try again. :)
Me too! Really looking forward to seeing how this show's going to work.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

ElendilPickle wrote:I enjoyed meeting you as well! Thanks for encouraging me to audition. I hope the show does really well so I can try again. :)
Cosigned. I missed out on this years audition so I would like to try again.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Retro good luck to everyone who made the show. Looking forward to seeing it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:It was lovely to meet you, Ms. Pickle! It was funny, the crew was so concerned about us seeing other contestants that they made me stand with my face to the wall when another person was walking down the hall, but then a suspiciously large number of out-of-towners showed up to O'Brien's that night.

They've been so concerned about secrecy that I was told not even to tell anyone that I was in California, so I'm glad my face was in a commercial now so I can out myself. Besides me and Pam, I count 4 other J! people in that commerical, though one is hiding his face.
Adam Villani and Jonathan Corrblah have been mentioned, well strongly hinted at, in another thread. I would guess that is Richard Mason at the :10 mark with a jacket, open collar shirt, no glasses and no tie?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I can see how one would recognize Richard from that snippet, but I don't think that's him.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

MarkBarrett gets the points. It is Richard.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Haha, whoops.