500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

I loved the jboard inside joke! I was so torn between rooting for Steve and Megan because I like both of them as contestants. I bet everyone else, upon hearing, "seaborgium was so obvious!" is scratching their heads.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

hanzz wrote:
econgator wrote:The Vatican is NOT an attraction in Rome.
Depends on what your definition of "in" is.
As a country located within the city limits of Roma it's indeed an unusual attraction "inside" Rome!
Loved the Tickling Megan! Sigh this show is sooo tough for challengers. Steve only hit 73%, on this board I pushed 78%. Top tens are tough lists.
What a cliffhanger, left us dangling on the last question with 2 Wrongs on the Board!!! I can't sleep tonight MRB!!! LOL good retroluck Boardie!

Nailed stumpers: Ulyssses: "Yes!" Way to strut your stuff RB!! Klimt: Vienna (Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer is Such a Fav!! Attached, so scrumptious!), Vitava River > Prague; Praying Mantis 180 head turn (WTG Megan!); Silkworm = Bombyx mori; ladybug > Aphidovorous; Co-gets: Monet >Impression: Sunrise, Dolores >Lolita (Nabukov), Lake Tanganyika west shore on DRC; 1987 +27 years ->Stephen Sondheim: Into the Woods (LOL! We hated it....); Algeria now largest area African country; Richard III under park lot AGAIN; Invictus > S. Africa, Steve McQueen > LeMans, Runnymede, runnnymede, we won our rights at Runymede!; West Egg > Great Gatsby, 0.93% atm >Argon; #112 >Copernicium, La Boheme > Rent (Puccini inspired); Book of Mormon "You've seen the play, now read the book!" Hemophilia carrier > Victoria, NO Get on Eiger climbed 1938 (grrr; Eiger Sanction, DOH!) Still kicking yourself over Seaborgium?!

Last edited by goatman on Mon May 25, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

So.... what's the thought/consensus of this trivia show lasting? Or is it "one and done"? I watched it a couple of times and have to admit that the longer I watched, the more the boredom quotient increased. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BADuBois wrote:So.... what's the thought/consensus of this trivia show lasting? Or is it "one and done"? I watched it a couple of times and have to admit that the longer I watched, the more the boredom quotient increased. :-)
Funny. I'm growing to like it. But I wish the challenger were more involved in the gameplay.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Thanks for the appreciation. I'm surprised they left my whole seaborgium freak-out in. I was mostly just playing to the waiting contestants in the audience, who all could use a good laugh as this taping slogged to the end of the third day.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BADuBois wrote:So.... what's the thought/consensus of this trivia show lasting? Or is it "one and done"? I watched it a couple of times and have to admit that the longer I watched, the more the boredom quotient increased. :-)
Not sure, tonight was a better episode, Megan sure brightened it up! The Boards were more interesting on Monday and lotta Pavlovs in there.
What the unwashed masses think of it, I've no idea. I really dislike the format of single player with challenger who wins nothing if fail to unseat the champ.
And Richard, you still gotta go bro, even tho you warmed up just a bit in Monday's programme, old chap! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I laughed out loud at "seaborgium." You are highly entertaining on a show that drags A LOT, Megan. (Steve, you're doing great!)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

In its current format, zero chance of continuing. They have to do something to make the challenger more meaningful.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I also liked the "very learned" bit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote:I also liked the "very learned" bit.
I was hoping she'd follow it up with "He's in a league of his own." or some such.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Thanks for the appreciation. I'm surprised they left my whole seaborgium freak-out in. I was mostly just playing to the waiting contestants in the audience, who all could use a good laugh as this taping slogged to the end of the third day.
Thought you did a great job with your limited role. This show has problems, but the contestants are shining. The Molly Bloom bit was great.
Last edited by bengland on Tue May 26, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

I would definitely want to watch more episodes like tonight, but with some changes (more participation from the challenger, like everyone else has said). I thought tonight was much faster paced, Quest was much less annoying, and it was just overall more enjoyable - the chemistry between the contestant and the challenger may have contributed to that as well.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

NYCScribbler wrote:"Which one are you kicking yourself for missing?"

"Seaborgium, of course!"

And I died laughing.

{edited to explain the joke, sort of}
I was watching as my DVR recorded the show, while dh was watching in the living room. The computer had about a five-minute delay, so when I cracked up and yelled, "Seaborgium!" dh had no idea why.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Socksygen is the name of my Sock Hop Tom Lehrer cover band.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
In its current format, zero chance of continuing. They have to do something to make the challenger more meaningful.
It's no juggernaut, but I gather the ratings have been respectable for a summer series -
Though once again the emphasis depends on whom you read-

TV Ratings Friday: 'The Messengers' Flat as '500 Questions' Goes Lower
TVbytheNumbers‎ - 2 days ago
On ABC, 500 Questions earned a 0.8 adults 18-49 down two tenths from yesterday's 1.0 ...
"500 Questions" Earns ABC's Best Summer Rating in its Slot Since August 2013
The Futon Critic‎ - 3 days ago
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MDaunt wrote:
gnash wrote:
5. I am pretty sure it is mathematically provable that one should always lead in battles, so there's another fake strategy piece.
Not if there's two obvious easy answers. Then you should always go second.

ETA. I'm not sure that makes sense. It did when I wrote it, but now...
You don't know how many obvious answers there will be when you are making the choice.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:You do not know what the list is until you decide who goes first.
True, but you can sometimes have a pretty good guess. I was not the only person in the studio to predict that what the Sci-Fi battle was going to be about.

Rex
Sample of one...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Thanks for the appreciation. I'm surprised they left my whole seaborgium freak-out in. I was mostly just playing to the waiting contestants in the audience, who all could use a good laugh as this taping slogged to the end of the third day.
The great thing is that the joke works for the broad audience ("obviously" ironic!) as well as for the 1337 who know it was not ironic at all.

Also, how many people have the bragging rights that they harassed the host of the game show on which they were contestants? :D
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

jeff6286 wrote:Why do you think the first contestant had to be chosen randomly? Do you think any of these contestants are being chosen randomly? WWTBAM puts on whatever players it feels like, right? if MSQ was allowed to send up the same contestants multiple times, I don't see how this should would be prevented from choosing the order of its players.
I was basing it on what I know about S&P on J!, where matchups are done randomly among the contestants selected for the taping day(s). If that is a requirement on J!, where matches are inherently fair, it seems it would have to be on this show, where they are inherently biased. WWTBAM is not analogous because each contestant is playing alone. I didn't watch MSQ and don't know anything about it except that a great guy won a lot of money on it.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

econgator wrote:
Robert K S wrote:I also liked the "very learned" bit.
I was hoping she'd follow it up with "He's in a league of his own." or some such.

Darn it, why didn't I think of that! They did edit out the little "I see what you did there!" move Steve did after I said it.