Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

Post by sherder »

doihavetoreally wrote:That was quick! Thanks.
You're welcome. It's a small contribution to the community.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Magna wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote:"9. MYTHOLOGY | The Roman counterpart of Mars, in Greek myth he was the god of war"
I assume they want Ares here, but the clue is incorrectly worded. Isn't it?
I think they got it right. Mars is the Roman name and they wanted the Greek one.
How? Roman counterpart of Mars makes no sense, as Mars is the Roman name. They could have just left it "in Greek myth he was the god of war"
I agree. I said Ares, but this wording still confuses me.
jeophopeful
Contributor

Post by jeophopeful »

i wonder if they will accept crucifixion and wolverine.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:Took it for fun off the J! Facebook page, and I think I did pretty good! Only clammed two (I know, I know!) - nos. 1 and 20, and made an educated guess on about 5 or so, but I'm waiting to see the answers, either here on on the J! Facebook page, before I will definitely state my unofficial score.

Of course, it only matters a) on my real test on Thursday, and b) if it results in an audition invite.
OK, based on Lampy's answers, which look pretty cromulent, I got 42 this time(wrong on 1, 2, 7, 10 (it was a coin flip, and was going to change it at the last second but figured there wasn't enough time, didn't want the heartbreak of "Elea" that was last year :( ), 17, 20, 26, 48). I'll take that, and I think that's good enough for an audition if that's what Thursday will be like!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sherder wrote:
I'm wondering if you will be able to do this the other two days a) since you already went through once today to record it for us, and, of course b) you were already on the show.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Took it for fun off the J! Facebook page, and I think I did pretty good! Only clammed two (I know, I know!) - nos. 1 and 20, and made an educated guess on about 5 or so, but I'm waiting to see the answers, either here on on the J! Facebook page, before I will definitely state my unofficial score.

Of course, it only matters a) on my real test on Thursday, and b) if it results in an audition invite.
Nice! I doubt I would have gotten much more than 30 at a quick glance.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

jeophopeful wrote:i wonder if they will accept crucifixion and wolverine.
No chance they accept "crucifixion". The category was MIDDLE C, which means anything other than CRU - C - IFY is going to be negged.
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

I'd expect them to be as picky about Graphics Interchange Format as they are about the Book of Revelation. I wonder if they would accept "dystopic" as well as "dystopia"? Both are eight letters, and part of speech tends not to matter much unless it's explicitly requested. (I put dystopia.)

Looks like I got 33 this time. Not enough for sure, but far better than the 28 I got two years ago. Given this trend, I should be in the pool for 2017! ;)

Edit: And yes, the wording of the Ares clue was very confusing. I got it, but it was weird.
Last edited by Doogie2K on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

dhkendall wrote:
sherder wrote:
I'm wondering if you will be able to do this the other two days a) since you already went through once today to record it for us, and, of course b) you were already on the show.
I may or may not have registered three times under three different email addresses. Since I'm not answering any of the questions, I'm not pulling a Kirby, and I'm keeping out of the pool.
Last edited by sherder on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Depending on how picky they are with answers, my score is somewhere in the low 40s. Even though it's a weeknight, I'm breaking out the bourbon.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I got a 47 or 48. Missed on Shakespeare and Classical Music. If I ever get picked for the show, I promise to study those.

Not sure if they'll accept Congressional Medal of Honor. It's common usage, but technically incorrect, and the question seems to be leading that direction.

Good luck, everyone!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

If they accept Ares and graphic, then I had 36 correct.
No issues with the test from a technical standpoint. I felt it was about as hard as last time. Some of the answers just would not come to me in time. :(
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Newhausen wrote:
jeophopeful wrote:i wonder if they will accept crucifixion and wolverine.
No chance they accept "crucifixion". The category was MIDDLE C, which means anything other than CRU - C - IFY is going to be negged.
And the movie clue asked for a team, so Wolverine wouldn't work.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sherder wrote: I may or may not have registered three times under three different email addresses. Since I'm not answering any of the questions,
You're not answering my question either, apparently. :D :D

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I think I got 35. There was 9 more I should have had.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Took it for real.

40. It's been quite a few years since I've been that low, either for real or for fun. I thought the test was a touch tougher than usual, and I had one of those brain block evenings to boot. The first clue didn't appear right for me either.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Doogie2K wrote:I'd expect them to be as picky about Graphics Interchange Format as they are about the Book of Revelation. .
I would agree, if it were a real-life clue on the game (as it once was). But it's entirely possible that on the test, they'll credit "graphic" or even "graphical" as "close enough". We'll probably never find out for sure.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, I was also kind of semi-spoiled on #19, I only got it (as a WAG) because I read (after the test was presented) someone complaining on the J! Facebook page that there was too many questions about Christianity. I was completely unfamiliar with the phrase in the question, but figured that "Jesus" would work in there and, based on the complaint, thought it would be one of the reasons for complaint, so in it went.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

According to Lampy's responses (thanks, by the way), I got a 43/50. What???

I, too, had Question 1 a tiny bit delayed, but everything else worked fine. I remembered the "think music" from tests past and hoped they'd include it this year...was glad to see that they did.

Still holding out for the College test to come soon. That's my preference, though if I get invited to an Adult audition, I won't complain...
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

mahatma wrote:Not sure if they'll accept Congressional Medal of Honor. It's common usage, but technically incorrect, and the question seems to be leading that direction
See the top-row clue under "THEY GAVE ME A MEDAL" on Dec. 5, 2013. Apparently the contestant said "Congressional Medal of Honor" which was accepted without comment. I think it's unlikely that you'd be negged on the test for including the word "congressional".