Contestant referral

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Contestant referral

Post by boson »

When my wife appeared on Jeopardy, she was given an email address for a contestant coordinator which she was to share with anyone she thought would be a good contestant. I'm about to email, hoping to get an audition this year (after not getting an audition since 2008).

Has anyone done this - either as a referrer or referee? Does it work?

thanks
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Contestant referral

Post by GhostStalker »

I gave out a bunch to my cousin and some people I know on another message board, dunno if it helped at all though.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I think it has to help, why else would they give it to the contestants? And they love family connections.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I put in a word for this guy, but he never actually e-mailed the contestant coordinators himself.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This seems a bit odd. Does the referred person have to have taken the online test? If you refer someone and they had a good online score, does that grease the tracks for them getting an audition?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:This seems a bit odd. Does the referred person have to have taken the online test? If you refer someone and they had a good online score, does that grease the tracks for them getting an audition?
Back in '05 it was a separate flyer I received in my contestant packet:
Spoiler
We are always looking for good players!

If you have any friend, family, or co-workers you feel would make good Jeopardy! contestants, e-mail Maggie at:

---

In their e-mail please have them include their:
Name
Address
Phone Number
E-mail Address

Also have them include all major cities they are willing to travel to for an audition, and please have them mention they were referred by you!

If they live in or will be visiting the Southern California area, they can call (310) xxx-xxxx to make an audition appointment.

Thank you - The Jeopardy! Contestant Staff
This was before the online testing began of course.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:This seems a bit odd. Does the referred person have to have taken the online test? If you refer someone and they had a good online score, does that grease the tracks for them getting an audition?
Not sure exactly how that works. I've had an offer to be referred, but declined it. If I can't get in through the auditions, then so be it.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Back in '05 it was a separate flyer I received in my contestant packet:
Spoiler

If you have any friend, family, or co-workers you feel would make good Jeopardy! contestants, e-mail Maggie at:

---

In their e-mail please have them include their:
Name
Address
Phone Number
E-mail Address

Also have them include all major cities they are willing to travel to for an audition, and please have them mention they were referred by you!

If they live in or will be visiting the Southern California area, they can call (310) xxx-xxxx to make an audition appointment.

Thank you - The Jeopardy! Contestant Staff
I got pretty much the name thing as a notice in the contestant packet email we were given, except it told them to email Corina at her address after taking the test. Email should include all the same information as well as the name of the person that referred them.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I think it has to help, why else would they give it to the contestants? And they love family connections.
Have you given out referrals, though? I am curious if something like that actually does give an advantage.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hanzz »

I'd heard of this, but I don't think I or any of my CC cohorts ever got any sort of official flyer like that. So when my chemistry adviser I knew was going to take the audition test, I emailed Maggie and let her know that I thought he'd be a great contestant, and she thanked me for it. He did snag an audition but never got the call.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hanzz wrote:I'd heard of this, but I don't think I or any of my CC cohorts ever got any sort of official flyer like that.
Remember when I took a picture of mine and texted it to you?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Back in '05 it was a separate flyer I received in my contestant packet:

---

This is almost exactly what my wife's flyer says - with Corinna replacing Maggie.

Of course, I'll give it a shot - it can't hurt! I was just hoping someone would say there is a special velvet rope at auditions which you can step over once you give the secret handshake.

Thanks all,
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

My college flame, who was on the show in May 2013, recommended me. And I was in the pool at the time. But I haven't heard a peep from TPTB.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I actually had a former contestant recommend me in 2006, the year before the online test started as the only method of official qualifying. That year the online test was only an option and I declined it for the old send in postcards method. I got an audition and passed the in-person test but did not get the Call. In fact, although I have likely passed the online test several times since then, I have not gotten a Jeopardy audition since. :cry:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

I sent an email a while back recommending a person who just recently appeared, although it took a long time between that person's audition and the phone call invite. So, I'm guessing my recommendation didn't carry much weight or help too much based on how long that person swam in the pool.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I think a referral may help someone who passed the online test get to the in-person audition process. I've used that in the far past and it worked until it seemed to stop working. I'm guessing that it doesn't help all that much with actually getting the call after participating in the in-person audition.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

slam wrote:I think a referral may help someone who passed the online test get to the in-person audition process. I've used that in the far past and it worked until it seemed to stop working. I'm guessing that it doesn't help all that much with actually getting the call after participating in the in-person audition.
This was my outsider's take as well.
Sprinkles are for winners.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
slam wrote:I think a referral may help someone who passed the online test get to the in-person audition process. I've used that in the far past and it worked until it seemed to stop working. I'm guessing that it doesn't help all that much with actually getting the call after participating in the in-person audition.
This was my outsider's take as well.
Reflecting back, I think my recommendation was actually sent before the person had an in person audition, so actually, who knows if it helped.