No College and/or Teen play this season?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

No College and/or Teen play this season?

Post by GoodStrategy »

I had thought that one of those tournaments would be held starting this week (leading up to the already-announced Celebrity games). When I went to the J! site they're showing regular-game Howdies though. Unless they plan on airing both of them sometime between the latter part of May and the end of season, does that mean that for the first time since each of the respective tourneys began a season will go by without a Teen Tournament or College Championship?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: No College and/or Teen play this season?

Post by jeff6286 »

This topic has been discussed in a couple of other threads here, and many other posters shared your surprise that the College Tournament did not seem to be taking place before the Celebrity Week. Last year's Teen Tournament was held in July/August, in the last 2 weeks of the season before the summer hiatus, so some assumed the teens would again go in that spot with the college taking place in May. There are still many weeks in May/June/July that these tournaments could be shown, but if they are, it is a definite departure from past practices for them not to have aired during sweeps months. I think we're pretty much all in the dark at this point as to when or if either tournament will occur this season. It's been a very long time since they've held an online test for teens or college as well, so it could be that they're going to shift one or both of them from being held annually, and instead hold them sporadically like the TOC, possibly making more room for other specialty weeks, such as Celebrities, Power Players, or even expanding Kids Week to a full tournament. This is just my speculation, don't read anything into it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There will likely be a tournament to cap the season in July. Taping for the season has ended by now so somebody out there knows what will appear.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Last I checked, my TiVo listings showed the college championship starting next week, which I noted as weird because it would be split by celeb week.

At any rate, I would expect at least one more tournament so they have enough reruns to fill the summer hiatus.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

My DVR which gets its listings from zap2it shows College Championship Week 1 for next week.

Also, a press release from Sony back in September said about Season 31: "Other season highlights include the Teachers Tournament, College Championship, Teen Tournament, and Kids Week."
alamble

Post by alamble »

Robert K S wrote:There will likely be a tournament to cap the season in July. Taping for the season has ended by now so somebody out there knows what will appear.
I can confirm that there will not be a tournament either the week of 7/13 or 7/20.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:
Robert K S wrote:There will likely be a tournament to cap the season in July. Taping for the season has ended by now so somebody out there knows what will appear.
I can confirm that there will not be a tournament either the week of 7/13 or 7/20.
Seems to be a tradition of sorts lately to end the season with s tournament, usually Kids or Teens
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alamble wrote:
Curioser and curioser, this seems to get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Plactus wrote:Last I checked, my TiVo listings showed the college championship starting next week, which I noted as weird because it would be split by celeb week.

At any rate, I would expect at least one more tournament so they have enough reruns to fill the summer hiatus.
If they reran Teacher's, TOC, Kids and Celebs, that would fill it up.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

alamble wrote:
I must admit I'm a bit relieved at this, because I'll be out of town. I do hope they have those tournaments, but it's been so long since the test that maybe everyone's eligibility has expired.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Somebody asked about a College Championship on Jeopardy!'s Facebook page 3 or 4 weeks ago. An answer that purported to come from J! staff said there would "probably" not be a College Championship until Season 32.

I have no actual facts of my own, but I was worried that the Internet wasn't spreading gossip and rumors fast enough without my help.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Usually my twitter search skills are on fleek, but I haven't seen a single mention of anybody taping a Teen or College tournament. Someone would have spilled the beans if it had happened already, I think.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I agree.

And although it appears that celebs have just recently taped their games for the week of May 11, my sources tell me that regular-season games to be aired the last week of May taped during the first week of March, so a lot of Season 31 is probably already in the can.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Winchell Factor wrote:I agree.

And although it appears that celebs have just recently taped their games for the week of May 11, my sources tell me that regular-season games to be aired the last week of May taped during the first week of March, so a lot of Season 31 is probably already in the can.
Usually the last games of the season(last show of the season now airs in late July or early August) are taped around late March or early April with a occasional May sweeps tourney taping a bit after that, no?
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Seems strange the info for the next two weeks on zap2it both show that there is a College Tournament then. I don't know if it's right or wrong.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kingskip wrote:Seems strange the info for the next two weeks on zap2it both show that there is a College Tournament then. I don't know if it's right or wrong.
Wasn't there a similar discussion in the past year or so regarding a scheduled-but-never-actually-happened Armed Forces Week? I thought that some online sources said it was going to air, but it never did.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

The next 2 weeks are a Tournament with the regular games coming back May 18.
Also when I was out there taping, Greg said there had been 3 weeks since he was last out in California, so it looks like 2 tournaments taped in between his first appearances on Thursday and Friday and his return on Monday.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mrsal67 wrote:The next 2 weeks are a Tournament with the regular games coming back May 18.
Also when I was out there taping, Greg said there had been 3 weeks since he was last out in California, so it looks like 2 tournaments taped in between his first appearances on Thursday and Friday and his return on Monday.
What are you basing it on when you say the next two weeks are a Tournament? The Celebrity Games are only one week, May 11-15.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Usually my twitter search skills are on fleek
Ummm ... what does that even mean?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Skills on fleek is something you either know or you don't. :D