I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by BobF »

So, let me say I hope you all are staying safe. Scary down there right now, glad I've got a 30 mile buffer.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Hamden, CT

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by tjconn728 »

Thanks for the concern. I actually moved to Connecticut for work in January, although my wife is still down there and I've come back most weekends since then, but we're fully moving her up this upcoming weekend. (That was always the plan, it's not due to the events of the past week.) We're in the Canton neighborhood, which is in the Southeast part of the city, so a few miles away from the epicenter of things. From what I could tell from the neighborhood Facebook page (which has 9,000 members and was being constantly updated) the area was pretty calm. A liquor store about a half mile west and a shoe store about a half mile east from our house both got looted, but I haven't heard of any reports of violent crime or residential break-ins. The giant fire at the senior center under construction was visible from the rooftop decks in the neighborhood, but that was still about two to three miles north from us. Today people are back to walking their dogs in the park and our garbage was even picked up before 8AM this morning. I get the impression that things sounded a lot scarier than they actually were. Can't speak to other neighborhoods of the city, but hopefully they had similar experiences.

User avatar
DysonSphere
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:43 am

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by DysonSphere »

When we moved to the DC Metro area, we had the choice of living in Maryland, DC, or Virginia. It wasn't much of a choice, truth be told. We're very happy to be living in Arlington and this is one of many reasons why.

We had to miss Jeopardy last night because of the news coverage, however. :(

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Hamden, CT

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by tjconn728 »

Dyson, I'm sure (or at least I hope) you didn't mean to imply that last night's events could have been anticipated or that the criminals that took to the street last night are typical of Baltimore, but I can't help to read it that way. And I'm sure Baltimore's reputation is going to take a hit in the coming days and weeks, but don't let the media's coverage fool you. My Facebook feed is filled not with people leaving the city in fear or feeling sorry for themselves or even ranting about the rioters, but with people proposing to provide food for the police and National Guard, organizing drives to shop at local businesses that have been looted, going out and cleaning up our neighborhood and other parts of the city, and giving thanks and recognition to some of the individuals that stood up to the hooligans that ran wild yesterday. While I'm glad to have not been in the city for last night's events, I'm equally frustrated that I can't be there today to join the cleanup effort and show the world that Baltimore may have its problems, but it is one of this country's great cities and that it and its people are strong enough to make it through these tough times. So I'm glad that you're happy in Arlington, but please don't let the terrible actions of the few characterize the many.

bleezy
Valued Contributor
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 9:36 am

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by bleezy »

Let's merge this with the Arthur Chu thread.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by BobF »

tjconn728 wrote:Thanks for the concern. I actually moved to Connecticut for work in January, although my wife is still down there and I've come back most weekends since then, but we're fully moving her up this upcoming weekend. (That was always the plan, it's not due to the events of the past week.) We're in the Canton neighborhood, which is in the Southeast part of the city, so a few miles away from the epicenter of things. From what I could tell from the neighborhood Facebook page (which has 9,000 members and was being constantly updated) the area was pretty calm. A liquor store about a half mile west and a shoe store about a half mile east from our house both got looted, but I haven't heard of any reports of violent crime or residential break-ins. The giant fire at the senior center under construction was visible from the rooftop decks in the neighborhood, but that was still about two to three miles north from us. Today people are back to walking their dogs in the park and our garbage was even picked up before 8AM this morning. I get the impression that things sounded a lot scarier than they actually were. Can't speak to other neighborhoods of the city, but hopefully they had similar experiences.
Well, it's funny, Baltimore is kind of a spread out city, there are places where you just don't even realize you are in a city of roughly 600K people. Riding Light Rail or Metro, you see a lot of places that look suburban or rural. Some of those areas, I'm sure act as a buffer to some degree. So, the rioters can't destroy the entire city.

Can't say I've been to Canton, I hope your wife remains safe.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10753
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Bamaman »

Glad to hear your wife is OK. I bet it is hard to be away from her in a time like this.

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Winchell Factor »

tjconn728 wrote:Dyson, I'm sure (or at least I hope) you didn't mean to imply that last night's events could have been anticipated or that the criminals that took to the street last night are typical of Baltimore, but I can't help to read it that way.
Me, too.

I haven't lived in Baltimore in twenty years--I now live in the exurbs--but if there's a way to read Dyson's post that isn't both a slap at Maryland and kicking Baltimore when it's down, I haven't found it.

I bet I'm just as happy not to be living in Northern Virginia as Dyson is to be living there, so...I guess that's good for both of us.

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by jfrumkin »

Winchell Factor wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Dyson, I'm sure (or at least I hope) you didn't mean to imply that last night's events could have been anticipated or that the criminals that took to the street last night are typical of Baltimore, but I can't help to read it that way.
Me, too.

I haven't lived in Baltimore in twenty years--I now live in the exurbs--but if there's a way to read Dyson's post that isn't both a slap at Maryland and kicking Baltimore when it's down, I haven't found it.

I bet I'm just as happy not to be living in Northern Virginia as Dyson is to be living there, so...I guess that's good for both of us.
I second all of this, but definitely the last sentiment. Let's get some cross-Potomac beef going! (Not really.) I've lived in Maryland for the vast, vast majority of my life and there is no state in which I'd rather live. As for Baltimore, one of the great cities of American history going way back and my hometown, I'm sorry that I hear so often that people (not necessarily Dyson, can't speak to that) judge it on a TV show that was fictional (if written incredibly well) and could have, as David Simon would say, taken place in any number of mid-size cities in the country. Also, our football team is great and has a literary name, which is even better.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

User avatar
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by kristinsausville »

jfrumkin wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Dyson, I'm sure (or at least I hope) you didn't mean to imply that last night's events could have been anticipated or that the criminals that took to the street last night are typical of Baltimore, but I can't help to read it that way.
Me, too.

I haven't lived in Baltimore in twenty years--I now live in the exurbs--but if there's a way to read Dyson's post that isn't both a slap at Maryland and kicking Baltimore when it's down, I haven't found it.

I bet I'm just as happy not to be living in Northern Virginia as Dyson is to be living there, so...I guess that's good for both of us.
I second all of this, but definitely the last sentiment. Let's get some cross-Potomac beef going! (Not really.) I've lived in Maryland for the vast, vast majority of my life and there is no state in which I'd rather live. As for Baltimore, one of the great cities of American history going way back and my hometown, I'm sorry that I hear so often that people (not necessarily Dyson, can't speak to that) judge it on a TV show that was fictional (if written incredibly well) and could have, as David Simon would say, taken place in any number of mid-size cities in the country. Also, our football team is great and has a literary name, which is even better.
I grew up in northern Virginia and lived in Baltimore for nine years. I'm glad I don't live in either now, but if you made me choose one of them in which to live, I'd live in Baltimore.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by BobF »

kristinsausville wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Dyson, I'm sure (or at least I hope) you didn't mean to imply that last night's events could have been anticipated or that the criminals that took to the street last night are typical of Baltimore, but I can't help to read it that way.
Me, too.

I haven't lived in Baltimore in twenty years--I now live in the exurbs--but if there's a way to read Dyson's post that isn't both a slap at Maryland and kicking Baltimore when it's down, I haven't found it.

I bet I'm just as happy not to be living in Northern Virginia as Dyson is to be living there, so...I guess that's good for both of us.
I second all of this, but definitely the last sentiment. Let's get some cross-Potomac beef going! (Not really.) I've lived in Maryland for the vast, vast majority of my life and there is no state in which I'd rather live. As for Baltimore, one of the great cities of American history going way back and my hometown, I'm sorry that I hear so often that people (not necessarily Dyson, can't speak to that) judge it on a TV show that was fictional (if written incredibly well) and could have, as David Simon would say, taken place in any number of mid-size cities in the country. Also, our football team is great and has a literary name, which is even better.
I grew up in northern Virginia and lived in Baltimore for nine years. I'm glad I don't live in either now, but if you made me choose one of them in which to live, I'd live in Baltimore.
I like Baltimore a lot - as a place to work. But living in the city? Not a chance. I grew up in NJ and from what I gathered from former co-workers who live there their property tax burden is even worse than NJ. And it's not like you get awesome public schools for your investment either.

Maryland is a pretty darn good state to live in, but I honestly can't see me spending my post-working days (if there are any) here. The entire northeast is a difficult place to live if you don't have a full time job (or if you AND your spouse haven't won a decent chunk of change from Jeopardy!).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Rex Kramer »

I lived in Northern Virginia for most of 20 years before coming out to Southern California (except for a 3-year stab at southwest Florida, which did wonders from my J! demographics but otherwise was like living in a giant microwave oven fending off a troupe of vain, judgmental zombies), and I thoroughly buy in to the cross-Potomac rivalry. Fairfax County has (literally) the best public schools in the country, copious access to nature, vibrant multiculturalism, and we know how to drive. NoVa rules!

Having said that, I have never had anything but good experiences upon actually setting foot in Maryland, and Baltimore in particular. It's dismaying to see the newsnipples spewing their continuous flow of violent images as if that's the real story. Obviously the vast majority of Baltimore residents are more law-abiding than the people they are protesting against. I fully support their peaceful protests, particularly because the more Maryland drivers out marching, the fewer behind the wheel. I look forward to the day when young men aren't killed for making eye contact with policemen, and I hope everyone in Charm City stays safe.

Rex

P.S. -- Of course, now I'm in SoCal, safe from any possible rioting.

User avatar
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by amorris525 »

As someone who spent 20 years in Northern Virginia and now lives in Maryland, I can attest that people in neither state know how to drive, including Fairfax.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Rex Kramer »

amorris525 wrote:As someone who spent 20 years in Northern Virginia and now lives in Maryland, I can attest that people in neither state know how to drive, including Fairfax.
Well, they're none of them as skillful as Massachusetts drivers, I'll grant you that.

Rex

User avatar
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by dnbguy »

I lived in Baltimore for six years. It has plenty of structural problems that it needs to address, but it can become great. Lots of great neighborhoods and great people live there.
Rex Kramer wrote:
amorris525 wrote:As someone who spent 20 years in Northern Virginia and now lives in Maryland, I can attest that people in neither state know how to drive, including Fairfax.
Well, they're none of them as skillful as Massachusetts drivers, I'll grant you that.

Rex
For a few years now I've lived in the DC suburbs, on both sides of the Potomac. We're about 400 miles away from Massachusetts, but still P(Massachusetts plate|skilled driving episode) is awfully high in my opinion.

Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Lampy »

Rex Kramer wrote: Having said that, I have never had anything but good experiences upon actually setting foot in Maryland, and Baltimore in particular. It's dismaying to see the newsnipples spewing their continuous flow of violent images as if that's the real story. Obviously the vast majority of Baltimore residents are more law-abiding than the people they are protesting against. I fully support their peaceful protests, particularly because the more Maryland drivers out marching, the fewer behind the wheel. I look forward to the day when young men aren't killed for making eye contact with policemen, and I hope everyone in Charm City stays safe.
Like button. Any chance you're leading a support group I could be a part of?

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Rex Kramer »

Lampy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: Having said that, I have never had anything but good experiences upon actually setting foot in Maryland, and Baltimore in particular. It's dismaying to see the newsnipples spewing their continuous flow of violent images as if that's the real story. Obviously the vast majority of Baltimore residents are more law-abiding than the people they are protesting against. I fully support their peaceful protests, particularly because the more Maryland drivers out marching, the fewer behind the wheel. I look forward to the day when young men aren't killed for making eye contact with policemen, and I hope everyone in Charm City stays safe.
Like button. Any chance you're leading a support group I could be a part of?
Not one you're not already a member of.

Rex

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by triviawayne »

Having been driving for the past 26 years, some of them professionally, I can attest to the fact, like everyone else, that NOBODY knows how to drive.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by BobF »

triviawayne wrote:Having been driving for the past 26 years, some of them professionally, I can attest to the fact, like everyone else, that NOBODY knows how to drive.
So YOU are the person who wrote last night's final Jeopardy! Just kidding, I had to do this when I saw the odd sentence structure of your post.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: I know we've got a few folks on here from Baltimore

Post by Winchell Factor »

amorris525 wrote:As someone who spent 20 years in Northern Virginia and now lives in Maryland, I can attest that people in neither state know how to drive, including Fairfax.
We drive bad. I'll admit that. In fact, every time I travel anywhere other than Boston, I'm reminded how aggressive drivers are in Maryland, DC and NoVa.

Post Reply