Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by flemmingfan »

Congratulations to voluptuousloser. I think you played an excellent game and got outgunned by the buzzer. I admire your presence of mind to answer in that inflection, made me lol.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mrsal67 wrote:It may matter that Radio Shack's bankruptcy was in the news a lot more at the time of taping then it is now (it declared bankruptcy on Feb 5, 2015 and the show was taped on Feb 24th)
That answers a question I was going to ask.
I was curious about the "INDIANAPOLIS" category being so non chalant, given the far left outrage and chants of boycott of a few weeks ago. I figured it had to have been taped beforehand. I don't believe the category would have even been conceived, post controversy.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Yes. In fact, given it was $12,000 to $28,400 with $2,000 left on the board, Brian needed to get the DD right to have any chance in FJ. (That's barring any ill-advised, lock-breaking neg from Greg on the $2,000 clue.) My instincts say $8,300 is a good wager there; it would have gotten Brian to $20,300 on a correct response, just over Greg's 2/3 threshold if he got the $2,000 clue and finished with $30,400. Plus, with an incorrect response, he'd be over Sara's 2/3 threshold and probably finish in second after FJ.
Given the bolded, the correct wager is a TDD.
Given there is a better payout for second place than for third, and he had a range of wagers that would have gotten the job done he needed on the upside while maintaining a good chance of holding on to second place, anything from that range, i.e. $7,000 (2/3 of Greg if he doesn't get the remaining clue if right, tie with Sara if wrong) to $8,666 (2/3 of Greg even if he gets the remaining clue if right, 2/3 of Sara if wrong), is perfectly viable.
I intentionally ignored the difference between second- and third-place payouts because I think worrying about that is a recipe for disaster. "You play...to win...the game!" Either way, I think Brian maximizes his EV by going TDD. Assuming get rates of 60% and 50% for DDs and FJ! respectively and a $0 bet from the "under" player in a non-crush situation, and ignoring the last clue for the sake of simplicity, I get the following:

Wager: $12,000
$24,000 X 60% X 50% = $7,200
$2,000 X 60% X 50% = $600
$1,000 X 40% = $400
EV = $8,200

Wager: $7,000
$19,000 X 60% X 50% = $5,700
$2,000 X 40% X 50% = $400
$1,000 X 40% X 50% = $200
EV = $6,900

Wager: $8,666
$20,666 X 60% X 50% = $6,199.80
$2,000 X 40% X 50% = $400
$1,000 X 40% X 50% = $200
EV = $7,399.80
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote:I was curious about the "INDIANAPOLIS" category being so non chalant, given the far left outrage
There was only outrage on the "far left," huh? :roll:
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:This FJ definitely should be deep-sixed.
Or called up the tube and torpedoed.
I have been a speaker of the English language for over 30 years and this show's FJ deeply offended me.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I was never anywhere close to getting that FJ! clue during the think music. Only thing I could think of that might be "up the tube" or whatever it said was those air-tube things for sending
messages to the storeroom or housekeeping that you might see in a hospital (an older one, probably).

I even worked at Radio Shack for a short while a long time ago, but never ever imagined there might have been an actual shack with radios anywhere, so I figured it was just some cutesy corporate name.

But it finally clicked for me when Alex began his pre-reveal hinting after the music ended. Too late, obviously.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Maybe there should be a poll item "I got it as soon as Alex began his post-think-music jabber". I don't think he had gotten to the word 'radio' when I got it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

MtlMike wrote:
P.S. By the way, I was ready to buzz with "Standard & Poor's" after Greg said "Standard's & Poor's," but Alex gave him credit. Even though they overturned the ruling later, it cost me $1,000 (which wouldn't have affected the outcome).
Yes, I knew the answer was wrong (like another poster here, I knew only one of S&P was pluralized, but not sure which one!). And since this is a very common error (a la "Revelations" for the bible book), I'm surprised Alex and/or the judges weren't more careful in accepting Greg's answer. As you say, it didn't cost you the game as it turned out, but it could have!

In Canada, the Radio Shack name has been gone for a long time (renamed to The Source), and I was only vaguely aware that they were still around in the US. Mark me down as another Old Navy guesser, though I was pretty sure it was wrong.

The "Poor" in the S and P name is made possessive, not plural. When Alex explained the correction to Greg's score, he said "Standard and Poor" with no 's as the correct form. I had been wondering if that would have been accepted.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Category 13 wrote: I was curious about the "INDIANAPOLIS" category being so non chalant, given the far left outrage and chants of boycott of a few weeks ago. I figured it had to have been taped beforehand. I don't believe the category would have even been conceived, post controversy.
I'm plenty chalant about Indiana's version of RFRA, but I got a lot of things I want to spend my chalance on before I'll get around to a TV game show category.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Category 13 wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:It may matter that Radio Shack's bankruptcy was in the news a lot more at the time of taping then it is now (it declared bankruptcy on Feb 5, 2015 and the show was taped on Feb 24th)
That answers a question I was going to ask.
I was curious about the "INDIANAPOLIS" category being so non chalant, given the far left outrage and chants of boycott of a few weeks ago. I figured it had to have been taped beforehand. I don't believe the category would have even been conceived, post controversy.
FWIW, the outrage over Indiana's attempt to transition itself into a theocracy ran a lot farther than the "far left." The NCAA - not exactly a hotbed of far left ideology - is just one example of many organizations and businesses that expressed serious concern over the legislation. But controversy isn't and shouldn't be a factor in Jeopardy categories or clues. The fact that they often ask about the Bible isn't an endorsement of Christianity, for example.

And that had to be the worst FJ question in a long time; poorly worded, questionable accuracy, etc. Just goes to show that everyone messes up every once in a while.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Elijah Baley wrote:But controversy isn't and shouldn't be a factor in Jeopardy categories or clues. The fact that they often ask about the Bible isn't an endorsement of Christianity, for example.
Yep. The question "Do I currently want to spend my tourist dollars in Indiana?" is a very different question from "Is Indiana a reasonable category for a general-knowledge trivia game?"

Somewhat similarly, all kinds of politicians and parties from all over the political map (including dictators and tyrants) are fair game for Jeopardy! categories and clues, including possibly some politicians and parties that a significant number of people dislike intensely.
tommyn1992
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tommyn1992 »

dhkendall wrote:I predict this will make the poll of "Toughest FJs" and poll low in the weekly poll.

I said "Piggly Wiggly" for a BWA attempt. :)
On the other hand, for anyone with any nautical inclinations, it's clearly ship-related, clearly relevant to WWI from the date, and therefore to the submarine warfare issue ()given the torpedo comment), the tube is a voice-tube up to the bridge, and the place for the origination of such a message (particularly a "two-word term") is pretty obviously the radio shack. Every radio room on ships is known as the radio shack (just as every radio operator there is nicknamed "Sparks"). So, as often is the case, if you're in the right place this is one of the easier questions.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

corvo wrote:What the HELL was that FJ! clue?
I agree.

5/5 in "Vo"cabulary and Elementary. Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite fictional characters. I also have seen many of the show's episodes.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So...what exactly did people not like about the clue? There was one comment mentioning confusion about how 'tube' was used but mostly I'm just seeing general dislike: "Gibberish, impenetrable, what the hell, a mess..." Even panning movie reviews tend to elaborate a little bit about -why.- ( http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/north-1994 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:So...what exactly did people not like about the clue? There was one comment mentioning confusion about how 'tube' was used but mostly I'm just seeing general dislike: "Gibberish, impenetrable, what the hell, a mess..." Even panning movie reviews tend to elaborate a little bit about -why.- ( http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/north-1994 )
I think it's been mulled over thoroughly in this and the other thread.
If you misread the central phrase and thought that a tube was being "called up" from somewhere instead of being a mechanism used to "call up" to the ship's bridge, it was tough to get back on track. It doesn't help that a torpedo travels through a tube. The "small room" "called up the tube that the steamer...was torpedoed"...with?
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

The syntax of the clue was tortured. And the inclusion of the quotation with ellipsis further confused things. I thought, "Am I supposed to know this quote? Because I have no idea what event is being referenced." As I said, even Alex thought the clue was too difficult as written. Instead of changing the category name, they should have rewritten the clue.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I thought the steamer in question was the Lusitania - torpedoed in 1917 - so I figured the call to the bridge was reporting that, which info would come by radio from the radio shack. And my neighbor when i was a kid was a ham operator.He called his back porch the radio shack
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

billy pilgrim wrote:I thought the steamer in question was the Lusitania - torpedoed in 1917 - so I figured the call to the bridge was reporting that, which info would come by radio from the radio shack.
The Germans torpedoed shipwrecks for practice?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was sunk in 1915.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:The syntax of the clue was tortured. And the inclusion of the quotation with ellipsis further confused things. I thought, "Am I supposed to know this quote? Because I have no idea what event is being referenced." As I said, even Alex thought the clue was too difficult as written. Instead of changing the category name, they should have rewritten the clue.
I think the only remedy now is to bring back contestants who missed that FJ and let them play another game. Who's with me?!!??