Online Sports Jeopardy Test May 19

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Online Sports Jeopardy Test May 19

Post by Bamaman »

http://sportsjeopardy.com/

I thought some people here might be interested in this. If you click the registration link it says they are only giving one on line test. It is on May 19 at 7:00 PDT.

That is great, but it kind of sucks for a couple reasons. First, it will be at 10:00 on the east coast, which is kind of late for a lot of people who have to get up early the next day. Also, with only one test, if you have some conflict, you are out of luck. I would love to be on the show, but I don't think it would be a good idea to skip my son's high school graduation to take the test.

I didn't go all the way through the registration process, so I don't know where the audition cities will be or if they even said.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Sports Jeopardy Test May 19

Post by clprez »

The audition cities are: Boston, Kansas City, Seattle, Tampa, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Francisco.

Are those the same cities as the regular Jeopardy?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

clprez wrote:The audition cities are: Boston, Kansas City, Seattle, Tampa, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Francisco.

Are those the same cities as the regular Jeopardy?
Yes
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder if they'll be doing the auditions at the same time? What if someone gets invited to both?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:I wonder if they'll be doing the auditions at the same time? What if someone gets invited to both?
There would of course be no way to know this, but I would be fascinated to find out what percentage of the pool could pass both tests. Say you could take everyone who passed this year's J! test, along with anyone in the pool or who has previously been a contestant, give them all the Sports Jeopardy test, what percentage would pass the sports test? I would think somewhere in the range of 5%, but I don't know that I'd be shocked if it was even lower.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think there have been a couple on the show this year that have been on the regular show. Someone posted on the LL Board that they were on this year, so there is some cross-pollination.

I don't know how many would make both. From watching the show, I'd say at least half have little or no interest in sports and another quarter probably aren't super into sports.

I think >5% is a little low, maybe 10-15%. Of course, I haven't seen a sports test so it is hard to say. I won't be able to take it this year, but I guess someone will post it on here. But given the randomness of how people are selected it would be hard for someone to get picked to audition for both. The limited chance to take the sports test will also make it less likely to make both.
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

Assuming I did extremely well on the test, if I were strong on sports, I think I'd try out for SJ! My bro-in-law is a savant about sports stats and my husband is not far behind.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I just got the email about this and thought, huh, why not? I'll fail miserably, but it'll be fun...then I double checked the date.
I'll actually be in Petco Park at 7PM Pacific, 19 May, watching sports take place.

Paging Ms. Morissette...Ms Morissette, Line 2.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:I just got the email about this and thought, huh, why not? I'll fail miserably, but it'll be fun...then I double checked the date.
I'll actually be in Petco Park at 7PM Pacific, 19 May, watching sports take place.

It's conceivable you (or anyone) could take it from a smart phone, they claimed the online test works on mobile devices now, though clearly it's less than optimal due to typing speed. The live sports test was only 30 questions, so if the online version is too, it would take less than 10 minutes.
Volante

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
Volante wrote:I just got the email about this and thought, huh, why not? I'll fail miserably, but it'll be fun...then I double checked the date.

It's conceivable you (or anyone) could take it from a smart phone, they claimed the online test works on mobile devices now, though clearly it's less than optimal due to typing speed. The live sports test was only 30 questions, so if the online version is too, it would take less than 10 minutes.
Not a good idea to take your eye off the ball 7 rows up on the field level.

Okay, it's actually 10 min til start, but that's probably National Anthem time and as I'll be in the enemy's opponent's jersey, I don't want to stand out any more than I need to :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What will be the ratio of Cubs fans to Padres fans for Chicago's first trip to CA of the season?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:Okay, it's actually 10 min til start, but that's probably National Anthem time and as I'll be in the enemy's opponent's jersey, I don't want to stand out any more than I need to :D
Based on my Petco Park experience from last month -- you'll still be in line for the metal detectors. (Actually, we did get to our seats just in time for the first pitch.)
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:

What will be the ratio of Cubs fans to Padres fans for Chicago's first trip to CA of the season?
Normally I'd say pretty good, but Padres fans have been turning out in droves this year. Quite unlike them.
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
Volante wrote:Okay, it's actually 10 min til start, but that's probably National Anthem time and as I'll be in the enemy's opponent's jersey, I don't want to stand out any more than I need to :D
Based on my Petco Park experience from last month -- you'll still be in line for the metal detectors. (Actually, we did get to our seats just in time for the first pitch.)
Gates open 90 min early; I'll probably be ahead of that by a half hour.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I passed the Sports J test last year and had an audition. So I emailed the Contestant Team to ask if I am still in the pool or if I should try out again. They said, "You are in our files if there is another season." No need to take the Online Test.

The phrase "if there is another season" seemed odd. Why offer the Online Test if there is no commitment for a 2nd season?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spiny Norman wrote:I passed the Sports J test last year and had an audition. So I emailed the Contestant Team to ask if I am still in the pool or if I should try out again. They said, "You are in our files if there is another season." No need to take the Online Test.

The phrase "if there is another season" seemed odd. Why offer the Online Test if there is no commitment for a 2nd season?
They might not know until it's too late to get people tested, auditioned, etc. Best to have them tested and auditioned just in case.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

dhkendall wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:I passed the Sports J test last year and had an audition. So I emailed the Contestant Team to ask if I am still in the pool or if I should try out again. They said, "You are in our files if there is another season." No need to take the Online Test.

They might not know until it's too late to get people tested, auditioned, etc. Best to have them tested and auditioned just in case.
Didn't they just officially renew it for a second season, though? That would make it even more strange that they're using that kind of wording.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

barandall800 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Didn't they just officially renew it for a second season, though? That would make it even more strange that they're using that kind of wording.
In this article, it appears that Crackle announced at the Digital Up Fronts last month that Sports J had been renewed - http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/so ... 201472004/
TomSegi
Contributor

Post by TomSegi »

I auditioned for Sports Jeopardy in July 2014, passing the test in Chicago. I would say, based on my experience of that particular audition and (I think...lost count at this point) 7 in person regular Jeopardy auditions, that the Sports test was considerably more difficult. In watching Sports J as compared to regular J, I am a better Sports J player than a regular J player. I'm usually pretty confident that I have passed the regular J test, whether it is the online version or the in-person version, even going back to the days where you 200 or so people filled a room and everyone got to take the test and only the passers moved on to the mock game. I was not at all confident that I had passed the Sports J test - it was very difficult. It was also only 30 questions so I am not sure what a passing score was, but I did pass and played the mock game.

To think that 10% of Jeopardy contestants could pass the sports test is waaaaaay too high. I would say a lot less than that. Maybe 2-5%. You'd first have to figure out how many Jeopardy contestants consider themselves to be sports experts, which I presume is fairly low. And even among those who are experts, a lot of them would not pass the test. I was surprised I passed given the difficulty of it.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Did anyone else receive an email that says "We noticed you did not complete your registration for the Sports Jeopardy! Online Test happening next Tuesday at 7pm PDT. In order to participate in the test, you will need to return to the site and complete your profile information, including your name and preferred audition city."

I thought I did that, but if I didn't, I can't figure out how to get back to that screen on the website. Help?
Sheepin' it real.