Monday, May 4, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 4, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7061, 2015-05-04

Greg Seroka game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Scott Ylinen, a draftsman and college student from Morgantown, West Virginia
Praggya Rustagi Barretto, a project co-ordinator from Boston, Massachusetts
Greg Seroka, a chef from Steamboat Springs, Colorado (whose 7-day cash winnings total $180,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Yep, you heard right--7 days, $180,000. Enough said. Praggya and Scott, welcome aboard. Let's do it. Let's start. The Jeopardy! Round is where we begin, and these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAY THE 4th BE WITH YOU (5/5)
INTERNET SHORTHAND (5/5)
NEWS ANCHORS (5/5)
THE MIDWEST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I SAY IT'S SPINACH (5/5)
THE "L" WITH IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 16 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Scott: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Praggya: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Greg had $3,400, Praggya had $600, and Scott was at $3,400. Scott made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

THE MIDWEST $1000: In a 2013 article Milwaukee's mayor protested the term this "Belt", saying "Our industry isn't... dying"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Scott: $6,800
Greg: $3,400
Praggya: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Scott Ylinen is the first player we introducedon the program today. Scott, as you know, there was a fair amount of conversation earlier this year about my mustache, and then it came off. I want to talk about yours. Yours is spectacular. Did you really get off of a speeding ticket or a parking ticket because of your mustache?

Scott: I did. I did. I was coming home late from a party with my roommate, you know, the flashing lights behind the car. And officer comes up to the door, and he's like, "All right, you were speeding a little bit, but I'm gonna let you off with a warning. The reason I'm doing it--I love your mustache."

Alex: Hey, all right. Keep it going, then.

Alex: Praggya Rustagi Barretto from Boston, Massachusetts, once won some concert tickets in an unusual way.

Praggya: Yes. I was listening to the radio, and the deejay had the hiccups, and she said, "If you have a hiccup cure, please e-mail me." And I e-mailed her, and I won.

Alex: Now, the concert tickets were to see...?

Praggya: Uh, The Bloodhound Gang.

Alex: Whoa!

Praggya: Yeah.

Alex: And was that something you really wanted to see?

Praggya: Sure. I was in college, so any concert tickets were good.

Alex: "Any concert tickets." Yes, when you're in college, absolutely.

Alex: Greg Seroka is a chef. He is our champion. He and some friends traveled to, uh, Germany once because they wanted to swim in the North Sea?

Greg: To swim in the North Sea in February. We decided that we were gonna be manly and take the polar bear plunge in the North Sea in February. We got off the train, and, apparently, we saw something shiny because we completely forgot to jump into the North Sea in February.

Alex: [Laughs] That was probably the smartest thing you did in that entire trip.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $9,400
Scott: $7,400
Praggya: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 4, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PAINT BY NUMBERS (3/5)
GAMBLING WORDS (5/5)
LAKES & RIVERS (4/5)
STAMPS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHARACTERS FROM AMERICAN LIT (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GRAMMY WINNERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Greg: 11 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Praggya: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Greg had $12,600, Praggya had $3,200, and Scott was at $12,600. Greg wagered $6,600.

CHARACTERS FROM AMERICAN LIT $1600: Seen here, MGM executive Irving Thalberg was the basis for Monroe Stahr in this F. Scott Fitzgerald novel
(Greg: What is This Side of Paradise?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Scott who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Greg had $4,800, Praggya had $4,800, and Scott was at $18,200. Scott wagered $5.

STAMPS $2000: The colors of the gay pride flag adorn the stamp featuring this slain politician

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAKES & RIVERS $2000: Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada, 2 degrees above the Arctic Circle, lies on this river's delta
(Greg: What is the Yukon?)

CHARACTERS FROM AMERICAN LIT $800: The first word in "Tom Sawyer" is uttered by this woman, his aunt & guardian
(Greg: Who is Aunt Sally?)

CHARACTERS FROM AMERICAN LIT $2000: In "The Good Earth", O-lan is married to this peasant farmer

GRAMMY WINNERS $2000: 2006's Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals went to Tony Bennett & this other music legend for "For Once In My Life"
(Greg: Who is Bono?)

PAINT BY NUMBERS $1200: Here's her take on three zinnias

PAINT BY NUMBERS $1600: His "Autumn Rhythm (Number 30)" is on display at the Met in New York City

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $18,205 (lock game)
Greg: $4,800
Praggya: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONSERVATION ORGANIZATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; prisoner's dilemma for second place.
Scott: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,604 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Greg: Bet $0 or $4,800.
Praggya: Likewise, wager $0 or $4,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Harriet Hemenway's boycott of the feathered hats of her social circle inspired the 1905 founding of this

FINAL SCORES
Praggya: $4,800 - $1,000 = $3,800 (What is the American Birdwatchers Club?) (2nd place)
Greg: $4,800 - $4,793 = $7 (What is PETA?) (3rd place)
Scott: $18,205 + $4,300 = $22,505 (What is the Audobon Society?) (New champion: $22,505)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $17,800, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Greg: $11,400, 27 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Praggya: $4,800, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 27/59 = .458
Scott: 20/60 = .333
Praggya: 7/58 = .121
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I SAY IT'S SPINACH $200: I don't care if the first recorded description of these dates to 1587; take them back to Belgium!
(Praggya: What are waffles?)

THE MIDWEST $400: You'd be hard-pressed to find one in the state, but the critter seen here gave a nickname to this state
(Praggya: What is Wisconsin?)

INTERNET SHORTHAND $600: NIFOC:
In this condition "in front of computer"
(Praggya: What is not?)

NEWS ANCHORS $800: In 2011 he stepped down after 36 years anchoring or co-anchoring PBS' newscast
(Scott: Who is Moyer?)

NEWS ANCHORS $1000: (I'm David Muir.) When I became the anchor of ABC's "World News Tonight", I was the youngest network news anchor since this man, a hero of mine; he first got the same gig in 1965

LAKES & RIVERS $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Switzerland.) Europe's palace of nations, the UN's second biggest facility, stands in the 46 hectare Ariana Park with amazing views of this lake

STAMPS $800: The songbirds series includes this state bird seen here

PAINT BY NUMBERS $2000: Here's "No. 8, 1952", an oil painting by this Russian-born American painter
(Greg: Who is... Klimt?)

STAMPS $1600: The stamp seen here commemorates the Battle of Mobile Bay, so that's the fleet of this Union admiral

CORRECT RESPONSES
Rust Belt
The Last Tycoon
(Harvey) Milk
the MacKenzie River
Aunt Polly
Wang Lung
Stevie Wonder
Georgia O'Keeffe
Jackson Pollock
the Audubon Society
Brussels sprouts
Michigan
naked
(Jim) Lehrer
Peter Jennings
Lake Geneva
the Baltimore oriole
(Mark) Rothko
Farragut
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Conservation Organizations
Harriet Hemenway's boycott of the feathered hats of her social circle inspired the 1905 founding of this.

Spoiler
What is the Audubon Society? Praggya said the American Birdwatchers Club; Greg said PETA.

Scott Ylinen: $18,205+$4,300=$22,505...now a 1-day champion with $22,505
Greg Seroka: $4,800-$4,793=$7
Praggya Rustagi Barretto: $4,800-$1,000=$3,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

And down goes Greg, not with a bang, but with a tremendous flame-out. The critical moment was the DJ DD when he and Scott were tied at $12,600. A more conservative wager (e.g., $3000) would have let Greg pull ahead of Scott but without risking the irrecoverable position Greg got in by losing a $6600 bet. After that, Greg had no choice but to chase a bunch of high-value clues that he didn't know. The game was all Scott's after that. Also, Greg's tie strobed miserably.

I somehow had a sense that "May the Fourth be with you" would play into today's game. I had the phrase in my head all last night, which I have not had for a while. Not on any of the other fourths this year. I got the TS Brussels sprouts, Mackenzie, and Stevie Wonder. I got FJ after mentally eliminating two other contenders, the Sierra Club and Ducks Unlimited.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wish I could say I was surprised Greg lost, but I was not.

Greg did the right thing in going big on the DD. He was tied with a strong player and wanted to go for the knockout. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. The new champ also did right going all in on the first DD. I bet he wishes he had bet the maximum safe amount on the easy stamp DD.

I got Audobon, figured it was best to go for the obvious.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:And down goes Greg, not with a bang, but with a tremendous flame-out. The critical moment was the DJ DD when he and Scott were tied at $12,600. A more conservative wager (e.g., $3000) would have let Greg pull ahead of Scott but without risking the irrecoverable position Greg got in by losing a $6600 bet. After that, Greg had no choice but to chase a bunch of high-value clues that he didn't know. The game was all Scott's after that. Also, Greg's tie strobed miserably.

I somehow had a sense that "May the Fourth be with you" would play into today's game. I had the phrase in my head all last night, which I have not had for a while. Not on any of the other fourths this year. I got the TS Brussels sprouts, Mackenzie, and Stevie Wonder. I got FJ after mentally eliminating two other contenders, the Sierra Club and Ducks Unlimited.
I figured there was a hidden message in there somewhere ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I got Audobon, figured it was best to go for the obvious.
*nod* Considered Sierra Club, but Audubon fit the clue better.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I think the 'stache got into his head. He'd done such a good job of staying clam during his run, and that seemed to fall apart today, even before the DD.

I went Sierra Club. :(
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Leander

Post by Leander »

I came up with Audubon, but according to Wikipedia and the Audubon Society, Hemenway didn't found it, a guy named Grinnell did, prior to Hemenway's involvement.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Greg had a great run; congratulations to him. Scott, the new champion, played very well. I had 41 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Mackenzie River, Stevie Wonder, and Jackson Pollock. Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran both Midwest and Spinach, but have NHO any of those terms in "L" with It. Lead pipe cinch? Livery? Laudanum? Really?!? How does ANYONE know those latter two in particular?

All but "The idea" in Internet Shorthand, 0/5 in News Anchors.

Daniel Boone should've been $400 on Amerian Literature. I clammed because I expected a trap, and thus ended up 0/5.

3/5 in Grammy, missing Beck and Stevie Wonder.

Feathered hat -> bird -> Audubon? Woo. I may be a bird brain but this was an instaget.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:I wish I could say I was surprised Greg lost, but I was not.
No surprise at all when people basically post what happened today in another game thread. The next person who posts any spoiler from outside this site in any form needs to be banned. Spoiler tags mean nothing, it's still a flashing strobe that something different happens.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Grinning from Ear to Ear in the internet shorthand category today was also part of a Before and After on WHeel today: Grinning from Ear to Ear of Corn.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

After some not-so-good FJs last week, this was the type that I most enjoy - it was not an instaget, nor did I never get it, but it came to me halfway through after I had already considered a couple other answers.

Unless it was inaccurate, as a post above claims - then it is another lousy one.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Well done Greg, looking forward to seeing you in the ToC.

Congrats to the new champ and his mustache... I've heard of some ladies getting out of traffic tickets with their charms (not including mustaches) but this was a first.

FJ was an Instaget.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:Grinning from Ear to Ear in the internet shorthand category today was also part of a Before and After on WHeel today: Grinning from Ear to Ear of Corn.
I know spoilers for other shows are not verboten here, but I, for one, would appreciate spoiler tags if you must. I may be in the minority here, but I like to watch Wheel and solve the puzzles myself.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leander wrote:I came up with Audubon, but according to Wikipedia and the Audubon Society, Hemenway didn't found it, a guy named Grinnell did, prior to Hemenway's involvement.
I don't think that the clue implied that she founded the society, just that its founding was inspired (in whole or in part) by her actions.

Also, the only thing accurate about 'facts' found on Wikipedia is the fact that they are found there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

bpmod wrote:I know spoilers for other shows are not verboten here, but I, for one, would appreciate spoiler tags if you must. I may be in the minority here, but I like to watch Wheel and solve the puzzles myself.

Brian
I'm still trying to figure out why anybody would post about some other show in a Jeopardy game discussion thread.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

To defend myself, I hope people are not referring to me but to legendneverdies who made that first giveaway post. My "guessing game" was posted before I was aware that there was a spoiler out there.

So shame on Jeopardy.com for spoiling today's result during the weekend.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Why do pictures of forever stamps have a slash through them?