Thursday, May 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:So what SHOULD I know Sarah Silverman for anyway?
She's Andy or Ollie on Bob's Burgers. She had a TV show called The Sarah Silverman Program. She dated Jimmy Kimmel and, while doing so, appeared on his show to play a video of her and Matt Damon singing a song titled "I'm F***ing Matt Damon." The video became a huge internet meme on YouTube. Kimmel retaliated with a video where he and Ben Affleck sang a song titled "I'm F***ing Ben Affleck." She looks a lot like the woman in that picture they showed where the correct response was "Who is Sarah Silverman?" I mean, it's uncanny.

So she's done a ton of teeny tiny bit parts, is what I'm getting. I DID google her and nothing looked noteworthy -- just a bunch of super minor parts at best.
Not to repeat myself, but this week is not a typical Jeopardy week. Many of the clues are specifically geared towards the celebrities playing this week. So, there was a whole category of University of California (Berkeley) graduates because Aaron Rodgers is a Cal grad. There are more than the usual amount of entertainment type clues because many of the celebrities are in the entertainment field. So, you'd expect someone in "the business" - as it's known in Los Angeles - to be more familiar with names and faces of other folks in the same general line of work.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

opusthepenguin wrote:
She's Andy or Ollie on Bob's Burgers. She had a TV show called The Sarah Silverman Program. She dated Jimmy Kimmel and, while doing so, appeared on his show to play a video of her and Matt Damon singing a song titled "I'm F***ing Matt Damon." The video became a huge internet meme on YouTube. Kimmel retaliated with a video where he and Ben Affleck sang a song titled "I'm F***ing Ben Affleck." She looks a lot like the woman in that picture they showed where the correct response was "Who is Sarah Silverman?" I mean, it's uncanny.
She's done a few of the Comedy Central roasts (the best one was the Pamela Anderson roast), and released several comedy albums of her stand up routines. She's a frequent guest on talk shows.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Elijah Baley wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
harrumph wrote:I have to wonder if they dumbed this episode down just for these contestants.
Tough crowd.
Seriously!! This is supposed to be a "fun" week; notably, this week isn't particularly designed to please regular Jeopardy fans. The clues are dumbed down, they take longer for the interviews, etc. If you're taking pride in getting most of them correct; well, they were probably designed to be answered by 12 year olds, so congrats?

Because this week is a way for Jeopardy to market itself to some people who might not normally watch, but they're ostensibly tuning in to see the various "celebrities" to see how they perform outside their usual milieu. With the side benefit that some money is going to some charitable organizations; said organizations also getting a little free publicity. So, is it a little easier to deal with waving arms, finger pistols at the camera, overly theatric winks, etc? No? Consider catching up on some trivia in this time slot next year!

/rant 8-)
I was merely being analytical; this episode seemed more dumbed down than the others and I wonder if they assessed these three contestants differently from the contestants earlier in the week. I wasn't complaining about the lower level of difficulty during celebrity week, that's a given.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

So she's done a ton of teeny tiny bit parts, is what I'm getting. I DID google her and nothing looked noteworthy -- just a bunch of super minor parts at best.
OK then, you tell us why Jeopardy! would ask about someone with a bunch of minor parts and expect us to know them if they aren't in the social consciousness (that you aren't tapped into)?
To be fair, I know who she is, but I couldn't tell you a single thing she's done (other than "stand-up").
She was Rain Robinson on the "time travel back to the 90s" two-parter on Star Trek: Voyager...
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

OK then, you tell us why Jeopardy! would ask about someone with a bunch of minor parts and expect us to know them if they aren't in the social consciousness (that you aren't tapped into)?
To be fair, I know who she is, but I couldn't tell you a single thing she's done (other than "stand-up").
If you know who she is, that should be enough for J! standards to be worth an ask. (Be fortunate it was just a "name this picture" clue, per the Archive, it seems her other appearances required you to know about the fact she was Jimmy Kimmel's girlfriend and did that Matt Damon song, neither of which I knew, but I definitely know who Silverman is, that she's done acting and standup, and I know what she looks like.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Here's a little story - I work in a used record/cd store, and one day a few years ago I was ringing up a customer whom I assumed was a grad student at the local university, she had an intelligence and a wherewithal that indicated that, and we had a nice little conversation. After she left it occurred to me that she was the splitting image of Sarah Silverman, whom I'd long been a fan of. But I wasn't really sure who she was until she came in again, this time with her entourage. She looked and me and said hi. For a "celebrity" she's very unassuming. It turned out she was giving some kind of a talk at the university.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I agree with those saying you guys are a tough crowd. I enjoyed this game and enjoy the celebrity games in general. Sure, some of the contestants bug me a bit. But that's true of Vanilla J! (rapper name!) in about the same proportion. And Celebrity J! has a higher proportion of entertaining contestants.

I'd count Bellamy as one of the entertaining ones. I enjoyed her schtick or her true self or whatever that was. I found her quite likeable. In part that's because she delivered a major beatdown. The ditzy act isn't as entertaining when it seems to point to an underlying truth.

I do wish they'd clear the boards, but that's not the contestants' fault. As others have noted, the contestant interviews have a double purpose which is a major time suck. Also, the contestants aren't regular watchers who studied and prepped for the show. They tend to respond with first and last names. They may hesitate a tad more than the average contestant when deciding where to go next. It adds up.

I've always said that TPTB should edit the show so that every clue gets played in every game. That might not be possible for Celebrity J! I wouldn't be averse to tweaking the celebrity version to have only five categories in each round. They'd have time for a little more clowning around and they wouldn't leave clues uncovered. Alternatively, have the sixth category in SJ always be CHARITIES. Three of the clues can be about the three charities represented at the podiums (podia?). Then Alex doesn't have to ask about the charity during the interview portion. He can just move the game along by riffing off responses, e.g. "Correct, Bellamy. And Josh is looking unhappy because that's HIS charity."
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

The fact that Potent Potables isn't a category on every episode of Celebrity J! Is just wrong.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Creed Bratton wrote:The fact that Potent Potables isn't a category on every episode of Celebrity J! Is just wrong.
Or Rehab Centers of Greater LA...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

southsidehitman wrote:I don't normally go out of my way to watch the celebrity episodes, but Ginger is a friend of mine and my wife's, so I decided to tune in.
Not more than five minutes ago, I posted a comment on a certain (all-too-occasional) Boardie's wall about a video he posted. I looked at the "likes" for the video, and Ginger Zee was one of them.

I didn't mind Bellamy's motions nearly as much as I minded her doubting herself. She clearly has a good base of knowledge, but seemed surprised at every correct answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:I didn't mind Bellamy's motions nearly as much as I minded her doubting herself. She clearly has a good base of knowledge, but seemed surprised at every correct answer.
I agree and based on the general tenor of some of the posts in this thread it would seem the obvious fact that she's pretty sharp didn't really come through. Probably the most dominant Jeopardy! game ever for someone who managed to come across as a ditz.