Tuesday, May 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Quatro?

Quatto.
I believe you are looking for the '70s Music TD game!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote: Really need to know the NATO phonetic alphabet, as a pilot in my former life it is second nature. Bravo for talking 'bout Golf on the radio with Moonbase Alpha! Fly Delta, Charlie! Is there an Echo in here, Narcissus? NO it's AT doing the Foxtrot on the roof! Get a deep discount on your Hotel in India from Travelocity, Mike! Oscar-Meyer weenies and Lima beans are so unromantic, Romeo, hey Juliet, go tell Poppa on the Sierra mountains you wanna be my lover! Never drink Whiskey when you fly, Victor! You will end up Tango-Uniform, in the Yankee outfield with Shaka Zulu! (Army guy talk; T-U = Ti** Up!)

NATO words that are dances: Foxtrot, Tango.
NATO words that are proper names: Charlie, Echo, India, Juliet, Lima, Mike, Oscar, Quebec, Romeo, Yankee, Zulu.
When I was trying to find out why Juliett had two t's I came across this page with the kind of interesting stuff you would like: http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/N ... 71195.html
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
Onairb wrote:Technically, the response 'Jack Daniels' should have been negged
At first I thought the question was carefully worded in such a way as to make either the name of the man or the name of the product acceptable, but nope, it was "this man's career". Unless "Jack Daniel's" is a "career," I agree, it probably would have been neggable.
Some winos would disagree that Jack Daniel's is not a career.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:At first I thought the question was carefully worded in such a way as to make either the name of the man or the name of the product acceptable, but nope, it was "this man's career". Unless "Jack Daniel's" is a "career," I agree, it probably would have been neggable.
Looks to me like they can't neg it. Whose career? Jack Daniel's. You don't get penalized for repeating part of the clue--in this case the apostrophe s. If the clue had referred to "this man, who had a career in..." then the contestant would be clearly wrong. As it is, there's no way to tell whether the contestant said "Jack Daniels" (incorrect) or "Jack Daniel's" (correct).
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

there are four requirements for a whiskey to be called "scotch."
1) it must be made from barley,
2) aged in oak casks,
3) for at least three years,
4) in scotland.

there are various malt whiskeys made around the world (such as suntory in japan), but none can be called "scotch."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Johnblue wrote:Is Sierra Madre pluralized? An easy game & the champ was impressive. Lots of lach trash here too. I got the answer from the name of the Frankfurt airport as someone else noted above. Nice to see the heavily red contestant make a nice comeback & give herself a fighting chance in FJ!
I knew the Frankfurt airport as the largest German airport and the connection to the Main River. (FWIW, I flew into Munich.)

Why shouldn't Sierra Madre be pluralized? You've got Sierra Madre Oriental and Sierra Madre Occidental. A wrong coin flip on that cost my nephew a shot at winning the NG geography bee.
OCSam
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Alex butchered the pronounciation of Hereford. I've heard it as three syllables all my life.
When I was growing up in Texas, my family raised them, and I've never heard a 3-syllable pronunciation of that word in my life. I can't even imagine how you WOULD make that into three: her-ee ford?, here-uh-ford? hee-ruh-ford? Just "HUH?"
John Boy

Re: LOL - Just LOL

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
floridagator wrote: LOL @ AT for not noticing that Charlie Oscar Whiskey Sierra spelled COWS
To be fair, the League of Nations had its headquarters in a country that wasn't part of the League. Considering its status as a financial hub, I wouldn't say it's that terrible a guess.
MarkBarrett wrote: We missed seeing all of NATO. I'll guess the two unplayed were Lima and Romeo. At least they got to uniform, so I could atone for the umpire mistake I made in a TD game.
1) Re the Nato Alphabet category: I also didn't catch the C-O-W-S thing. that's a nice one by the writers. I also wish they had revealed the rest of the category. As a pilot I memorized that short list decades ago, and if they finished it I might have had more Lach Trash than just the $1800 for Uniform and November.

2) I agree that Zurich was not a terrible guess. Before Alex finished reading the clue and I heard/saw only the part about the financial hub, Zurich was my knee-jerk reaction. Only when we got to the word "Mainhattan" did it dawn on me that probably Zurich was wrong. Fortunately at that point Frankfort was Instaget.

3) Agree that Andrew's FJ wager was in terrible contrast to his perfect wager in Monday's game. Glad it worked out for him, but.....
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Big ups to Liz for fighting back and being in the game at the end. She was headed toward Wolf Blitzer territory before the first commercial break.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alan tiger wrote:there are four requirements for a whiskey to be called "scotch."
1) it must be made from barley,
2) aged in oak casks,
3) for at least three years,
4) in scotland.

there are various malt whiskeys made around the world (such as suntory in japan), but none can be called "scotch."
In countries that are willing to enforce the UK's Scotch Whiskey Regulations, at least. Elsewhere, you can call it whatever you like.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Is Sierra Madre pluralized? An easy game & the champ was impressive. Lots of lach trash here too. I got the answer from the name of the Frankfurt airport as someone else noted above. Nice to see the heavily red contestant make a nice comeback & give herself a fighting chance in FJ!
I knew the Frankfurt airport as the largest German airport and the connection to the Main River. (FWIW, I flew into Munich.)

Why shouldn't Sierra Madre be pluralized? You've got Sierra Madre Oriental and Sierra Madre Occidental. A wrong coin flip on that cost my nephew a shot at winning the NG geography bee.
Plus, it's a common convention to pluralize names of mountain ranges, such as the Sierra Nevadas, the Rockies, the Adirondacks, the Cascades, etc.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I caught the COWS thing right away, and I knew Uniform but not November. Odd.

Also didn't know that Frankfurt am Main was the name. Even if you'd gotten me to Germany, I'd have gone "Berlin, Hamburg… uh, Munich… uh… Cologne… … … …Eisenhüttenstadt?" and never gotten to Frankfurt. (I had a German exchange student from there when I was 8, and per my Hawley-Smoot Tariff rule, the more fun a name is to say, the more likely I am to remember it.)
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:or Ireland
O'
Admittedly not as big a leap in my book as "well, British author, for $200, why not say London?", but I totally did not see that O' at all.

Can we poll "oak"?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Also, for Kykuit - been there, done that.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Plus, it's a common convention to pluralize names of mountain ranges, such as the Sierra Nevadas, the Rockies, the Adirondacks, the Cascades, etc.
Agreed. It would seem pretty strange for someone to answer "what is the Adirondack?" wouldn't it?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:

Plus, it's a common convention to pluralize names of mountain ranges, such as the Sierra Nevadas, the Rockies, the Adirondacks, the Cascades, etc.

Thanks guys. I guess I was relying on that old movie title.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Alex butchered the pronounciation of Hereford. I've heard it as three syllables all my life.
When I was growing up in Texas, my family raised them, and I've never heard a 3-syllable pronunciation of that word in my life. I can't even imagine how you WOULD make that into three: her-ee ford?, here-uh-ford? hee-ruh-ford? Just "HUH?"
Hair-uh-ford. Or as my grandfather (born in 1897) and all his fellow Maine farmers would say, 'hair-uh-fud'.
I've never heard the 2-syllables pronounciation in my life, and I grew up outside of New England.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:When I was growing up in Texas, my family raised them, and I've never heard a 3-syllable pronunciation of that word in my life. I can't even imagine how you WOULD make that into three: her-ee ford?, here-uh-ford? hee-ruh-ford? Just "HUH?"
In England they save up unused syllables from words like Leicester. That way they have plenty of extras for situations like this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also got Frankfurt from LL, would have been stumped otherwise and never would have guessed that.

The first round was horrible to watch, glad they picked it up in DJ.

I was waiting the whole interview for Alex to say to Andrew, "We have some bad news for you.....".

I don't blame him for not noticing, but Andrew had a $800 lead with $800 and $1,200 left on the board and picked the $1,200 clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have spent a lot of time at the Frankfurt airport. But never made it into Frankfurt itself. This was an insta-fastforward.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:I have spent a lot of time at the Frankfurt airport. But never made it into Frankfurt itself. This was an insta-fastforward.
Bamawoman and I had a layover at the Frankfurt airport once. We were sitting there and had both kind of dozed off. We looked up at the same time and saw four German soldiers marching by, complete with rifles over their shoulders. A little shocking to wake up and see that coming your way.